**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not cocky at all. I guess I'm just a gut feeling type of person and this probably isn't the time to listen to my gut.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go for the sake of it maybe being your only option. I didn't drop the majority of my II until I had acceptances. I doubt it'll be your only one but you never know 🙂.
 
True. Trust me. I did not mean to come off as an a-hole at all. I was beyond grateful to even get an interview anywhere. Was genuinely looking for some opinions. Thanks thou.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I am sorry that I came off as mean too. At this point, if you do the Interview, you can at least be looked upoon favorably as a reapplicant. They'll Most likely blacklist you if you withdraw now if you hafta reapply.
 
I am sorry that I came off as mean too. At this point, if you do the Interview, you can at least be looked upoon favorably as a reapplicant. They'll Most likely blacklist you if you withdraw now if you hafta reapply.

Yea I definitely see where you're coming from. And it's cool. Im a big girl I can handle a little tough talk. I appreciate the reply. It's my first cycle. I applied only 6 schools and I just felt confident having gone 4/6 in interviews but I see where literally all of those could be rejections. You actually helped.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I definitely see where you're coming from. And it's cool. Im a big girl I can handle a little tough talk. I appreciate the reply. It's my first cycle. I applied only 6 schools and I just felt confident having gone 4/6 in interviews but I see where literally all of those could be rejections. You actually helped.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
From personal experience, it was really nerve wrecking to only have 2 IIs. I wasn't accepted until late November and was waitlisted at my first place in October. I did end up with 2 more interviews but they didn't come until late January and early February.
 
Yea I definitely see where you're coming from. And it's cool. Im a big girl I can handle a little tough talk. I appreciate the reply. It's my first cycle. I applied only 6 schools and I just felt confident having gone 4/6 in interviews but I see where literally all of those could be rejections. You actually helped.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Completely and utterly off topic. But my mind is always blown when I find out I'm wrong about a user's gender lmao I thought you were a guy this whole time 😱
 
I like the positive vibe in this thread. Lots of what seem like good people in here. It has been one of my favorite threads to compulsively read on SDN. Therefore, I felt compelled to throw my hat in and say "Hey!" A little about me (purposely vague for now): I guess I'm non-trad in that I'm a non-US citizen from the same African nation as a few folks in here, and I'm a few years removed from UG completion. I'm lucky to also hold a second degree in which my performance was far greater than that of my UG days. As with this post, I applied fashionably? 🙄 late this cycle (late Sept/early Oct completion). Been blessed to receive one MD II so far. Anywho... :hello: and best of luck to all the URMs (& non-URMs) as we continue on our journeys! Keep at it.
 
Accepted today to one of my top choices! God is amazing. I literally lost it when I got the email. There were times when I thought I would never get to this point in undergrad and look at God! Growing up I didn't think doctors looked like me or came from the kind of place that I come from.

Wow.

We're gonna be doctors, guys! I'm praying for everyone in this thread.
 
Accepted today to one of my top choices! God is amazing. I literally lost it when I got the email. There were times when I thought I would never get to this point in undergrad and look at God! Growing up I didn't think doctors looked like me or came from the kind of place that I come from.

Wow.

We're gonna be doctors, guys! I'm praying for everyone in this thread.
I'm so happy for you. I've been very tired all day, and I had a giant smile when I read this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any benefit on getting it done so quickly ?

It's something I won't have to worry about anymore and there is no benefit to waiting. Furthermore if the shift in FAFSA availability (it's now earlier) has any effect on their processing speeds, you can only benefit from being done early on.

Simply put, It can only help.
 
Is there any benefit on getting it done so quickly ?

Well for my state schools at least, it is of great benefit to have it submitted early for things like Senator scholarships etc, and since I'll be getting a decision from them by early December, I figured it was best to have everything in now because they send packages with acceptances.

To some schools need is separate from merit, but many give "merit" scholarships through the circumstances in which you made your achievements, which is a profile also built from your "need" profile.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Cool!, So do you only put the schools you are accepted for/got interview for? Or all the schools you are still in the running for.
 
Cool!, So do you only put the schools you are accepted for/got interview for? Or all the schools you are still in the running for.

That's up to you. FAFSA can only hold ten at a time though. They have suggestions for how to get all including submitting, waiting for report to be received by the school, then deleting, and resubmitting with a new list.

As I mentioned, I only submitted to my State school. You can look up how they suggest you submit it to more than 10.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
One or two of the schools I applied to said they will only accept this year's taxes, so should I just wait until January ?
 
One or two of the schools I applied to said they will only accept this year's taxes, so should I just wait until January ?

Yeah, sounds like it.

I did it with the 2015, but will file my taxes on the first day to make sure I have that in sooner than later. Some schools will require 2016 for CSS profiles.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So... how many of y'all sent thank you letters and updates to medical schools?

I have sent 4/5 thank you notes. The 5th one I didnt because my interview went poorly and I didnt really like the school anyway so there was no point in convincing them that I was a great fit.

I have not sent in any updates.
 
So... how many of y'all sent thank you letters and updates to medical schools?

I sent a thank you note to the one I've attended already and received an incredibly warm, detailed response. After reading some of the comments on here about sending them and receiving callous responses I was on the fence, but I am glad I did, and will send them to all that I attend.

I haven't sent an update but probably will if I end up on a waitlist.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
For anyone that interviewed at Georgetown, did they talk to you guys about changing the curriculum and when that would take place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
 
Congrats with your Gtown interview. They seem like a picky school. Rejected me outright

Thank you! I was very surprised to be honest

My interview is Monday can ask specific questions if you want


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II to UCSF MD, MD-PRIME, JMP, and JMP-PRIME!!

This is my top choice school I am beyond thrilled! And I had started to give up and look at other plans. Wow. I'm so happy right now.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No you definitely don't have to ask for me I was just wondering because the new changes are going to be very different and I was curious to when they would be starting. But more importantly congratulations!! Clearly I don't know you personally but hard work and dedication undoubtedly pay off. Your dreams are coming true because you have the drive that it takes, much respect.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad