**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm so proud of all of you. And to those without invites yet or who have questions related to improving your application or anything... please be vocal or even PM me (or any other willing party). This is about everyone succeeding!!
+4

Members don't see this ad.

I'm ready to get into school. The waiting is killing me. Checking my email every 5 minutes can't be healthy

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+3, btw good looks @WittyPsyche about the fafsa

EDIT: missed the +4 so I would be +5, I'm not a strong counter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
+?
not sure what number we're at, but i'll gladly help future applicants too!

I have my first interview at Morehouse this Friday. Been doing research and preparing like crazy but still nervous as hell lol

Reactions: 1 users
I have my first interview at Morehouse this Friday. Been doing research and preparing like crazy but still nervous as hell lol

I interviewed there. Great people. You'll love it. Don't be nervous. If you have any questions feel free to pm me

First acceptance at one of my top choices :zip:BEYOND ecstatic, can't really put into words my excitement and happiness. Everyone keep pushing and stay positive, your time is coming too if it hasn't already!
One thing I always keep in mind is also how long the season is. Positive mind = Positive vibes:woot:

Reactions: 13 users
So the thing happened that should not have happened.

But remember guys, we basically won't be aware of anything happening outside of medical school for the next four years!

Reactions: 12 users

But remember guys, we basically won't be aware of anything happening outside of medical school for the next four years!
I was waiting for someone to mention it! Hopefully I'll be busy during the next application cycle so I can matriculate and be unaware of the outside world, haha

Reactions: 1 user

I haven't been out yet and am scared tbh

I haven't been out yet and am scared tbh

I was telling my mom though... people have always been hateful. Sure they may have a leader they like now, but they have always been there.

What I do know is that this election won't change me. I refuse to buy into hatred and bigotry... I love others and will continue to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was telling my mom though... people have always been hateful. Sure they may have a leader they like now, but they have always been there.

What I do know is that this election won't change me. I refuse to buy into hatred and bigotry... I love others and will continue to do so.

Yeah that's true, but now they have an excuse to come out from the shadows. Which I guess it's positive in letting us know who our true friends/supporters are.

And yeah me too. Though, definitely going to fight way harder to keep our country, ours.

It truly is a sad day for our nation, never seen so many people cry.

Reactions: 4 users
It truly is a sad day for our nation, never seen so many people cry.

Same. But while I don't agree, I think it will ultimately force this nation to reflect and furthermore to realize the impact an election can have if all voices don't show up to the table.

Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson 2020

All I know is my citizenship is elsewhere ;)

Take me sis pls ¿?

But forreal, my main concern is the conversion of covert bigotry to overt bigotry. I really hope this doesn't impact our matriculation choices. Sigh.

My primary concern right now is how this impacts financial aid next year. Rates notoriously sky rocket under republicans and trump has said some pretty grim things about students and debt

My primary concern right now is how this impacts financial aid next year. Rates notoriously sky rocket under republicans and trump has said some pretty grim things about students and debt

Faaaaaack. You're right. Scholarships pls.

Just curious, do you all think there will potentially be a surge in enrollment at HBCU medical schools (or increase in yield) due to recent events?

Just curious, do you all think there will potentially be a surge in enrollment at HBCU medical schools (or increase in yield) due to recent events?

It's possible, but I'd think if so it would be marginal. Next, my question would be why? Like are you thinking more will want to help our community? Or are you thinking they may be afraid of other places?

I really hope no one falls into the latter category because that is exactly what bigoted individuals want.

It's possible, but I'd think if so it would be marginal. Next, my question would be why? Like are you thinking more will want to help our community? Or are you thinking they may be afraid of other places?

I really hope no one falls into the latter category because that is exactly what bigoted individuals want.

I am thinking the latter category. Do you think URM applicants would want to be at an institution (assuming they had choices) where patients and individuals in surrounding communities may be more likely to display prejudicial or discriminatory behavior towards people of color?

I am thinking the latter category. Do you think URM applicants would want to be at an institution (assuming they had choices) where patients and individuals in surrounding communities may be more likely to display prejudicial or discriminatory behavior towards people of color?

We've never been immune to it. There may be an uptick but it's nothing we haven't seen before.

I considered cowering but I refuse to let the possibility of that phase me. Now would I attend somewhere in a largely white community without much diversity at all?

No. But I wouldn't have done that pre-election either.

Reactions: 2 users
We've never been immune to it. There may be an uptick but it's nothing we haven't seen before.

I considered cowering but I refuse to let the possibility of that phase me. Now would I attend somewhere in a largely white community without much diversity at all?

Agree to this fully. It's interesting because the latter category is occurring. I work at a HYP school in research and thy have sent out campus wide emails to address the fear and concerns that have already arises and are having a week long symposium at the various ministries and cultural organizations to emphasize that nothing will change for the worse on campus and that they will always remain faithful to all people etc. It's funny because some of the things addressed in the announcements were coming from cultural and religious minority students afraid of remaining on campus or participating in their clubs.

Our department will be trying to do some outreach as well to ease the minds of those on edge as well as to put in check those that think they just got a free pass to discriminate. We all have a part to play in all this. And I hope we all choose not to cower but to aspire, to achieve, and to continue putting down the groundwork to change the future of our people, of all people.

As an immigrant, I have a lot to think about, my family has a lot to think about. Many aren't permanent residents and this puts us in a unique situation. All I can do is face the head on and hope that we will get through this and as a nation we will rise above the hatred and prejudice.

The ramifications of his presidency are tremendous, with a fully republican congress, and an open seat at the supreme court, there seems to be very little to stop him. My biggest fear for us, is the promotion of bigotry and discrimination into the mainstream smh

Did you guys see his 100 day plan? It's mostly about limiting the tenure of congress positions and putting a freeze on federal hiring except those in public health, military etc. FWIW it appears to be far more subdued than my initial expectations. Not to mention, the "ban Muslim immigration" sentiment was removed from his site yesterday. Which begs the question, will he actually follow through with his outlandish claims or was it a slick ploy (fear tactics geared towards gullible America) to get just enough of a following to get elected? I'm starting to think it may be more of the latter.

But still, doesn't eliminate the discrimination bear that seemed to come out of hibernation. Though, it appears to be trickling through the box states and the south, more so.

The ramifications of his presidency are tremendous, with a fully republican congress, and an open seat at the supreme court, there seems to be very little to stop him. My biggest fear for us, is the promotion of bigotry and discrimination into the mainstream smh

This is the last gasp of a a fearful faction of the majority that is afraid of the America of the future. This is the time to stand up and refuse to yield to hate. This is also the time for all marginalized groups to come together because we are stronger as one.

Discrimination will become more commonplace because a lot of closeted bigots have been waiting for this moment.

I think he's a lot more democratic than people realize. I think he straight hustled to get elected. I think he tried to destroy the Republicans from the inside and then got traction and is now president. I have no proof of this but no one has proof that the Illuminati exists but it doesn't make it less real. In all honesty though, he played the game and won. That's more a reflection of the nation than it is on him.

Fair point. I guess I was asking for potential applicants who are applying to schools in predominantly white communities maybe because its their state school for example. Given recent events, should these applicants change their minds? We have never been immune to prejudice or discrimination and some people are unfazed by it because they have experienced it all of their lives, but what about those who haven't? Do you think they would consider attending HBCU's if they have multiple acceptances. On the same note, I have heard undergraduate at HBCU enrollment is soaring because of recent events with police brutality, etc. I guess medical school class sizes are so small that recent events would not make a big difference.

I think he's a lot more democratic than people realize. I think he straight hustled to get elected. I think he tried to destroy the Republicans from the inside and then got traction and is now president. I have no proof of this but no one has proof that the Illuminati exists but it doesn't make it less real. In all honesty though, he played the game and won. That's more a reflection of the nation than it is on him.

I agree he played the game very well and got elected. No one really knows what he will do. I don't even think Republicans know what he will do. All we can do is not give in to fear and continue to work twice as hard as future health professionals, medical students and ultimately physicians in order to uplift marginalized communities and the entire population as a whole.

Fair point. I guess I was asking for potential applicants who are applying to schools in predominantly white communities maybe because its their state school for example. Given recent events, should these applicants change their minds? We have never been immune to prejudice or discrimination and some people are unfazed by it because they have experienced it all of their lives, but what about those who haven't? Do you think they would consider attending HBCU's if they have multiple acceptances. On the same note, I have heard undergraduate at HBCU enrollment is soaring because of recent events with police brutality, etc. I guess medical school class sizes are so small that recent events would not make a big difference.

I agree he played the game very well and got elected. No one really knows what he will do. I don't even think Republicans know what he will do. All we can do is not give in to fear and continue to work twice as hard as future health professionals, medical students and ultimately physicians in order to uplift marginalized communities and the entire population as a whole.

It's a fair question. I likely would attend a more diverse undergraduate than I did if I were making my choice today. I come from an affluent, ~90% white area. I don't deal with racism left and right but I know what it feels like to stand out like a sore thumb day in and day out. So maybe I wouldn't be uncomfortable at less diverse places, because I have never seen much different. Most medical schools are probably more diverse than my neighborhood. But even I have crossed out certain cities because of their prejudice history in my state. An uptick in HBCU enrollment wouldn't surprise me and it's a good thing I suppose.

I'm going to ask this question and hope I don't get judged. Why are people so scared? A school sending email to students to let them know that things won't change? That seems a little extreme. I mean there's no way he can/will do any of those crazy things. Honestly, I've come to realize that no one talks anymore. I used to fear cops and thought they were all bad and racist...till I worked for one. Imagine going to work not knowing if that's the last day that you would see your husband/wife/kids. That's a tough job. I had all these negative feelings for people that put their lives on the line to serve and protect. I had essentially dehumanized an entire group of people without realizing it. "They" were bad and were part of an organization trying to actively harm me. Through these discussions, I kinda got the other sides POV and was able to understand how tough of a job being a cop is. Now having said that, there are bad cops and having every single black guy be able to stand up and talk about how they were harassed by a cop or made to feel like a criminal is a problem. But hey media says all black guys are dangerous and even some non-racist cops might be quicker to pull on that trigger cause they been conditioned to think like that. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that isolating ourselves is not going to help. If you do end up in bumfuk nowhere, I can guarantee that there will be fear from you and people that have never seen someone like you. That's absolutely fine and normal. So it's up to you to reach out and educate and show people that were not bad and were not to be feared. We have to come together if we want to be able to move forward.

I'm going to ask this question and hope I don't get judged. Why are people so scared? A school sending email to students to let them know that things won't change? That seems a little extreme. I mean there's no way he can/will do any of those crazy things. Honestly, I've come to realize that no one talks anymore. I used to fear cops and thought they were all bad and racist...till I worked for one. Imagine going to work not knowing if that's the last day that you would see your husband/wife/kids. That's a tough job. I had all these negative feelings for people that put their lives on the line to serve and protect. I had essentially dehumanized an entire group of people without realizing it. "They" were bad and were part of an organization trying to actively harm me. Through these discussions, I kinda got the other sides POV and was able to understand how tough of a job being a cop is. Now having said that, there are bad cops and having every single black guy be able to stand up and talk about how they were harassed by a cop or made to feel like a criminal is a problem. But hey media says all black guys are dangerous and even some non-racist cops might be quicker to pull on that trigger cause they been conditioned to think like that. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that isolating ourselves is not going to help. If you do end up in bumfuk nowhere, I can guarantee that there will be fear from you and people that have never seen someone like you. That's absolutely fine and normal. So it's up to you to reach out and educate and show people that were not bad and were not to be feared. We have to come together if we want to be able to move forward.

The Dean of my school sent an e-mail to students, faculty and staff about individuals expressing concerns for their future because of recent events. What is going to happen to the 20 million individuals insured under the ACA (we know it is not a perfect piece of legislation)? What is going to happen to individuals who work in environmental protection agencies? What about individuals under DACA status? At least with Clinton, we knew her policies and her track record, but with Trump there are too many unknowns. People fear what they do not know. People want to be reassured that everything will be fine, but there is no evidence of that with Trump because he has not held elected office. All we can use to judge him is the rhetoric that he used on the campaign trail.

I also feel that as URM students we should branch out, take risks and not necessarily be "comfortable" all of the time, but constantly getting beat down about your race and being made to feel inferior takes its toll. Not all cops are bad and I respect cops for what they do on a daily basis. I live in an inner city right now and I see the daily struggles of the residents who live here and the cops who are striving to protect the residents here. There are bad apples in every organization. But everyone has a role to play in this country and everyone should be respected and be represented.

I did an internship in Asia instead of going to Africa a few years back. I felt that among those who I interacted with, I tore down many stereotypes. I taught them about my culture and they taught me about theirs. It was a two way street. I think that is the goal of diversity (in all of its forms). It is for each of us to respect and celebrate our differences so that we can learn from one another and ultimately push this world forward.

Reactions: 8 users
Actually the very essence that there is no proof that the illuminati exists, does make it less real (e.g. no proof of unicorns, so it less real), but I know what you are saying, of course it speaks volumes of the attitudes that a large portion of the people that elected him have. And it could very much well be the case that his platform was a bunch of smoke and mirrors to attract those kinds of individuals, and that he could become a progressive leader (although highly unlikely given that just yesterday he put the biggest critic of climate change to lead the EPA transition), but I cannot forgive the man for his past actions or words and his unapologetic tone, like that **** is dangerous for people like us. I'm sorry but I will never stand by that man

Actually the very essence that there is no proof that the illuminati exists, does make it less real (e.g. no proof of unicorns, so it less real), but I know what you are saying, of course it speaks volumes of the attitudes that a large portion of the people that elected him have. And it could very much well be the case that his platform was a bunch of smoke and mirrors to attract those kinds of individuals, and that he could become a progressive leader (although highly unlikely given that just yesterday he put the biggest critic of climate change to lead the EPA transition), but I cannot forgive the man for his past actions or words and his unapologetic tone, like that **** is dangerous for people like us. I'm sorry but I will never stand by that man
Bruh, I was playing about the illuminati thing lol. Plus the bolded part got him elected... what does that say about this nation?

Bruh, I was playing about the illuminati thing lol.

Lol I was thinking that. But I do agree that I can't stand behind him because of past comments.

However, as the passenger on a plane piloted by a man I despise.... I still hope that he is successful in getting us to point B.

Our nation has revealed itself to be fragmented but also remember that half of our nation did not exercise their right to vote. So... around 3/4 of our nation did not support him or were not an active part of the election.

Then take the 1/4 that supported him and divide it into those that are desperate and want a reset on Washington... the racists... etc. I am hopeful that many of them aren't what Trump has revealed himself to be. I am also trying to believe that as a nation we will stand for what is right if push comes to shove.

Lol I was thinking that. But I do agree that I can't stand behind him because of past comments.

However, as the passenger on a plane piloted by a man I despise.... I still hope that he is successful in getting us to point B.

Any coincidence that the pilot meme is the first thing on my IG rn

Honestly I think there has been a over demonization of trump supporters. Vast majority of them aren't racist. I just interview at a area that Trump won by 87% and the student body and community see. completely open and welcoming to minorities.

Honestly I think there has been a over demonization of trump supporters. Vast majority of them aren't racist. I just interview at a area that Trump won by 87% and the student body and community see. completely open and welcoming to minorities.

Most things related to politics are overstated, so that is probably true.

Yet, I don't think interviewing somewhere and not having a negative experience negates any of the concern. Again, I live somewhere like that. The people aren't usually mean or malicious. But they did vote for someone who is and has proven to be for a long time. That is concerning and worth discussion. Even if only 10-20% of his supporters have racist tendencies, that is scary. Also I can send you the link but in a recent study over 4/5 of surveyed supporters expressed racial malice whereas 40% of Hillary supporters did. It's a country issue, not a Trump issue... but his fear tactics have made it more concentrated at his base.

Edit: There were two reported incidences of attacks on muslim students at two high schools in my area. That has never happened. This election has negatively impacted our society regardless of what % of his supporters are racist. Frankly, not being racist and turning your back to racism is no better...

Last edited:
Take me sis pls ¿?

But forreal, my main concern is the conversion of covert bigotry to overt bigotry. I really hope this doesn't impact our matriculation choices. Sigh.
TBH, It already is. :cryi:

Alright. No more... we are strong guys. We should be celebrating. THIS IS A HAPPY TIME (minus the other stuff). Lol.

Alright. No more... we are strong guys. We should be celebrating. THIS IS A HAPPY TIME (minus the other stuff). Lol.
You're right... Hey yall I have a TPR biology and biochem MCAT 2015 and Psych/Soc book that I want give away to a struggling (financial) URM student planning on taking the MCAT. I know that it's missing CARS and P/C but covers half the material. Im not in college so was hoping that yall knew of someone (PM me). Also, since this cycle has been so supportive and so active, do y'all think that we should start something where we can help the next gen of students with something more than information?

You're right... Hey yall I have a TPR biology and biochem MCAT 2015 and Psych/Soc book that I want give away to a struggling (financial) URM student planning on taking the MCAT. I know that it's missing CARS and P/C but covers half the material. Im not in college so was hoping that yall knew of someone (PM me). Also, since this cycle has been so supportive and so active, do y'all think that we should start something where we can help the next gen of students with something more than information?

I guess I am talking the future for me but my goal is to start an organization that helps struggling URMs afford books and other materials needed during pre-med. Do you have a particular idea? I am willing to help in any way that I can. We could start collecting used MCAT books or start a site geared towards mentoring. Working together, we really could do so much.

Reactions: 5 users
I guess I am talking the future for me but my goal is to start an organization that helps struggling URMs afford books and other materials needed during pre-med. Do you have a particular idea? I am willing to help in any way that I can. We could start collecting used MCAT books or start a site geared towards mentoring. Working together, we really could do so much.
That sounds like so much work... just kidding I don't think that I can do this by myself but that's a great idea. I know that the main reason I couldn't apply sooner was because of funds. Maybe books during college/MCAT prep books/travel expenses for interviews and applications etc. But honestly though, I want to start with these books. I don't want to sell/throw these books away if I can give them to someone who needs them.