2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you complete your secondary? Did you rewrite your personal statement and secondaries, or did you reuse yours from last year maybe?

It was mostly the same but some of the questions of the secondary were different. Timing was not the issue. I am upset about it and will go up to the school tomorrow. I was just there on Saturday volunteering.

Sent from my iPhone

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have interviewed.. can I bring a backpack to put my wallet and keys and things? Is there a locker to store stuff like this?
I left my purse in the holding room while we were all in interviews, as did lots of other people, because it was locked!

Reactions: 1 users
I already paid a deposit for msucom but if Wayne offered me an II then acceptance it would be such a difficult decision, I really don't know what I would do lol

Is it really a difficult decision? MD vs DO? Not even close.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have any waitlisted applicants heard back recently? Like within the past month or so?

My portal still shows "Not Received!" for the background check, even though I released it over 20 days ago. Anyone with similar situation?

My portal still shows "Not Received!" for the background check, even though I released it over 20 days ago. Anyone with similar situation?

Me too!! I think they update it manually. We've got plenty of time. I get the impression that they are focused right now on narrowing down their remaining applicants and that things will get moving in a few weeks. I'm so excited to hear more and even though this school is my top choice, looking forward to second look.

For those who have interviewed.. can I bring a backpack to put my wallet and keys and things? Is there a locker to store stuff like this?
they have a place to hang stuff up. They were really nice and I'm sure will help you. Snacks were provided before the interview.

Me too!! I think they update it manually. We've got plenty of time. I get the impression that they are focused right now on narrowing down their remaining applicants and that things will get moving in a few weeks. I'm so excited to hear more and even though this school is my top choice, looking forward to second look.

I am too looking looking to Second Look Day. I feel like I did not learn much about the curriculum nor what the school has to offer during the interview. I recently interviewed at OUWB and they were much friendlier and gave an in-depth look at their curriculum, style, and other avenues. I hope WSU SOM's 2nd Look Day will be more comprehensive, especially since we know nothing about if the curriculum is changing/how its changing and how the new administration is functioning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am too looking looking to Second Look Day. I feel like I did not learn much about the curriculum nor what the school has to offer during the interview. I recently interviewed at OUWB and they were much friendlier and gave an in-depth look at their curriculum, style, and other avenues. I hope WSU SOM's 2nd Look Day will be more comprehensive, especially since we know nothing about if the curriculum is changing/how its changing and how the new administration is functioning.
I agree it'll be nice to go to second look where they have more time to let us know what they're up to. But please don't tell me you would consider Oakland over Wayne!! For one, I don't think Oakland has even had a class match yet. Who knows what their track record is while Wayne has proven over and over they can get you wherever you want to be.

I agree it'll be nice to go to second look where they have more time to let us know what they're up to. But please don't tell me you would consider Oakland over Wayne!! For one, I don't think Oakland has even had a class match yet. Who knows what their track record is while Wayne has proven over and over they can get you wherever you want to be.

They've had two matches - for what it is worth.

Reactions: 2 users

Wayne for me has always been a first choice but I've heard really good things about OUWB and their first 2 graduating classes matched really well. OU definitely did an excellent job at selling me their school. Still, WSU has a cheaper tuition, better name recognition, and other things going for it. Still waiting to see if any scholarships will be thrown my way though :rolleyes:

And I take it all back :p. A decent match list all things considered

Not bad for being a new school (being affiliated with Beaumont has clearly paid off). With that said, you are right that long term history is on Wayne's side.

Not bad for being a new school (being affiliated with Beaumont has clearly paid off). With that said, you are right that long term history is on Wayne's side.

Also, the cost of attendance is on Wayne's side.

I wonder if the delay on 1/30 and 1/20 people is going to trickle down to the 2/6 and 2/13 peeps as well :(

I wonder if the delay on 1/30 and 1/20 people is going to trickle down to the 2/6 and 2/13 peeps as well :(

Looks like it. They said those who interviewed today should have a decision by 2/24, but they are running a little behind schedule at the moment so that is just a soft date

how long after your interview do they usually take to make a decision

how long after your interview do they usually take to make a decision
Read through the last few pages of the thread. There's been plenty of discussion about this. Plus they should have told you on interview day.

Intereviewed 1/30 accepted today.

Spoke to admissions yesterdat they said there won't be much waitist movement this year due to a high number of in state students.

Spoke to admissions yesterdat they said there won't be much waitist movement this year due to a high number of in state students.
what? lol...they still have at least 200 acceptances to send out (according to the tracker which was updated about 1.5 weeks ago and the amount of acceptances they sent last year) and only a couple interview days left....I think that does sorta say there will be a large amount of waitlist movement

Last edited:
Don't necessarily believe anything you are told over the phone. They are generally clueless. You can make two calls 5 minutes apart and speak to different people, getting two completely different answers. I've gotten the impression most of the office staff is not privy to much relevant information....

Reactions: 3 users
My app is still MR, since July 20th. Wayne and Cmed are the only schools left that haven't given me an answer in some form or another
+1. MR since July 28. Hope nearly depleted.

Just what I wanted to hear as I'm eagerly sitting on the waitlist.

Are you out of state? They are preferrential to in state students and I think what she means is that there might be more in state people matriculating into Wayne because of the high amount of in state students being accepted. Which means less waitlist movement. But she will not be able to tell which people will decide to matriculate where. So she may be right but may be wrong.

What does this even mean? Too many IS students where?

I think he/she means that Wayne accepted many IS students. Typically, IS students would want to go to a state school, making it unlikely that many will refuse the admissions offer.

Last year they offered 350 IS with 210 matriculating. I find it hard to believe they've already offered much more than ~220 IS so far out of the only 320 offers thus far.

What does this even mean? Too many IS students where?

I'm under the impression that they're trying to increase the amount of OOS students so I'd take that with a grain of salt. Waitlist movement will be unpredictable regardless.

I just called them right now. She said that there is usually a lot of waitlist movement (as there was last year) and that it's hard to tell how much waitlist movement there will be this year, but that it'll probably be a lot. She also told me that they've already started sending acceptances to students who were on the waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
I just called them right now. She said that there is usually a lot of waitlist movement (as there was last year) and that it's hard to tell how much waitlist movement there will be this year, but that it'll probably be a lot. She also told me that they've already started sending acceptances to students who were on the waitlist.
Proof that different people will tell you multiple things Lol no real reason in speculating just relax hope for the best and let whatever happens happen!

Reactions: 4 users
@bararaboi @Nervus Terminalis

Current students: Can I reliably count on this calendar to be accurate for the incoming class? https://www.med.wayne.edu/ume-academic-student-programs/year-1-calendar/

I went back to 2015 and the general structure is different than that of 2016's school year, but the 2016 schedule is pretty much identical to what starts in July 2017.

Our calendar was up this time around this last year, so I would assume that that very calendar that appears as you scroll right is correct.