2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The problem is they don't tell you where you lie on the waitlist. But they still want to accept around 150 applicants and this number is not including individuals who opt to go else where.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, does anyone know how big of a factor MCAT is for wayne. I have a really strong gpa but my mcat wasnt so hot. Does anyone know wether my low mcat would be a reason for keeping me on the waitlist and ultimately differed?

I've never understood why med schools won't tell you your WL spot. I've heard from many friends that dental schools, PA schools, optometry, pharmacy, etc. are generally pretty open about letting you know what your place is.
Honestly I think they don't even know...things change so quickly

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know how big of a factor MCAT is for wayne. I have a really strong gpa but my mcat wasnt so hot. Does anyone know wether my low mcat would be a reason for keeping me on the waitlist and ultimately differed?

My MCAT wasn't so hot either and I got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
This Thursday? I guess that means all the emails must go out on either that day or Friday then!
Yes the 23! And I think that's exactly what it means :) Hoping for Thursday so my blood pressure will finally go down.

The 27th is the last interview day; thats what they said on the AAMC virtual tour. Also, wayne said on the tour that they would be taking many people off of the waitlist this year (like years in the past). So hopefully we all get seats!!

Reactions: 4 users
My background check FINALLY updated on the portal!

When does Wayne do scholarships/ do they? I was accepted Dec 15th and just wondering if it is possible!

Hey guys. Not to be a bearer of bad news but:
1. More people interviewed this year for the same number of spots. So while the waitlist may move, the percentages will not be near close to the same (290 spots for 750 last year compared to 290 for 1000 this year).
2. Most of the waitlist movement (and by most I mean the overwhelming majority) isn't until May, after the first group of accepted people have to commit to one school.

Moral to the story:
1. Stop worrying about your stats. If you got an interview, you're good enough to get in barring any terrible interview answers you gave.
2. Be patient because you more than likely (and by that I mean I can speak with almost 100% certainty.) will not be getting in next week if you're on the waitlist.
3. Maybe 5 people from the waitlist will be getting in on Thursday, and all 5 will be due to last round, their individual interviewer not being there to advocate for them, and then they showed up this time.

Be patient. Don't lose hope. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Not to be a bearer of bad news but:
1. More people interviewed this year for the same number of spots. So while the waitlist may move, the percentages will not be near close to the same (290 spots for 750 last year compared to 290 for 1000 this year).
2. Most of the waitlist movement (and by most I mean the overwhelming majority) isn't until May, after the first group of accepted people have to commit to one school.

Moral to the story:
1. Stop worrying about your stats. If you got an interview, you're good enough to get in barring any terrible interview answers you gave.
2. Be patient because you more than likely (and by that I mean I can speak with almost 100% certainty.) will not be getting in next week if you're on the waitlist.
3. Maybe 5 people from the waitlist will be getting in on Thursday, and all 5 will be due to last round, their individual interviewer not being there to advocate for them, and then they showed up this time.

Be patient. Don't lose hope. Good luck.
How are you so sure about what you just said? Are you in close relation with admissions or just a student there? I also heard they are increasing their size class this cycle but 50 spots?

How are you so sure about what you just said? Are you in close relation with admissions or just a student there? I also heard they are increasing their size class this cycle but 50 spots?

Wayne almost lost their accreditation for having not enough space for students. They won't be increasing class size.

Reactions: 2 users
They're definitely not increasing their class size. Also, the student is sure because that's been all public record. They've increased interviews by 250. However, devil's advocate and here to be my broken record self- I was waitlisted one month and admitted the next. I heard this happens sometimes if they haven't gotten to your file that day/your interviewer is behind in their eval but want to give you a decision regardless. For those who heard in the last batch that they were waitlisted, maybe you'll be admitted this Friday!

Reactions: 1 users
so what do you guys recommend I do? My MCAT is the low point in my app. Should I register for the MCAT just in case I dont get in this cycle? Who else is freaking out :vomit::nailbiting::bang:

so what do you guys recommend I do? My MCAT is the low point in my app. Should I register for the MCAT just in case I dont get in this cycle? Who else is freaking out :vomit::nailbiting::bang:

What're your actual stats (GPA, MCAT) and where did you go to school, and what are your extracurriculars. No one can give you advice without these stats, also race? Under represented? Non-trad?

why does Wayne state waitlist so many people and make us wait until May 1st to be pulled off of instead of offering an acceptance right away. Umich with a class size of 170 offered 375 acceptances in total once they were done with interviews. why can't Wayne do the same? Wayne with a class size of 290 should be offering around 575 acceptances by the end of interview season (end of Feb)and not make us wait till May. I feel it's not fair.

Because Wayne doesn't make you send in a deposit, so they can't add to their class without knowing who is withdrawn. Michigan accepts another person if they don't get a deposit within the deadline.

Not many people decide to drop Wayne until later in the application cycle. It's not "unfair."

Reactions: 5 users
why does Wayne state waitlist so many people and make us wait until May 1st to be pulled off of instead of offering an acceptance right away. Umich with a class size of 170 offered 375 acceptances in total once they were done with interviews. why can't Wayne do the same? Wayne with a class size of 290 should be offering around 575 acceptances by the end of interview season (end of Feb)and not make us wait till May. I feel it's not fair.

Is this the first instance you've come across in this whole medical school process where you found something unfair? If so, congrats! But in terms of a life lesson - prepare for a bumpy future. As for why Wayne does this... I suspect yield protection and better control over class composition (again, they were placed on accreditation probation partly over this very issue).

Edit: And yes, the not having a deposit aspect is huge as mentioned above.

Is this the first instance you've come across in this whole medical school process where you found something unfair? If so, congrats! But in terms of a life lesson - prepare for a bumpy future. As for why Wayne does this... I suspect yield protection and better control over class composition (again, they were placed on accreditation probation partly over this very issue).

Edit: And yes, the not having a deposit aspect is huge as mentioned above.

Going off of this, the whole "no deposit" aspect allows greater waitlist movement come May because people will truly decide if they even want Wayne. Remember, holding a spot is free, so I imagine many people do so until they need to make a final decision. So maybe it's not as "unfair" as @prayer525 believes. My $0.02.

Because Wayne doesn't make you send in a deposit, so they can't add to their class without knowing who is withdrawn. Michigan accepts another person if they don't get a deposit within the deadline.

Not many people decide to drop Wayne until later in the application cycle. It's not "unfair."
UMich does not require a deposit.
In fact, most MD schools these days no longer require deposits.

To be honest, I don't see why anyone would call this unfair. It's not really. It'd be pretty unfair to expect the school to do it your way. They can't control for who ends up in the class if they can't offer seats only as some are released. Frankly, wayne isn't the only school to do it this way, either. It sucks to be waitlisted but it's better than a rejection.

UMich does not require a deposit.
In fact, most MD schools these days no longer require deposits.

I don't know what your source is, but apparently everything has changed in one application cycle. It seems as though you have made a very broad claim that is not necessarily true. Point is, just because there's more seats, doesn't always correlate with more acceptances given right away. That would lead to dilution of talent in their incoming class. They need to wait for everyone to interview to be able to pick the very best students for the remaining slots.

Quick Question, those who interviewed in October compared to those in December, and got waitlisted, does the admissions committee look at the applicants from October before December?

is wayne state still giving out interviews? i've been complete since early august. 3.7+ gpa, extensive research, 2 degrees, 515 mcat, decent extracurriculars, and i'm still in review. anyone else in the same boat?

is wayne state still giving out interviews? i've been complete since early august. 3.7+ gpa, extensive research, 2 degrees, 515 mcat, decent extracurriculars, and i'm still in review. anyone else in the same boat?

I feel you. 3.85+ (4.0 BPCM), 90%+ MCAT, multiple degrees including professional degree (top 5% of class in graduate school), good extracurriculars, in-state, minor research. Complete early September. Full ride scholarship to other medical school. Still MR at WSU and it looks like it's staying that way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I feel you. 3.8+, 90%+ MCAT, multiple degrees including professional degree (top 5% of class in graduate school), good extracurriculars, in-state, minor research. Complete early September. Full ride scholarship to other medical school. Still MR at WSU and it looks like it's staying that way.

good to know that i'm not the only one. med schools admissions work in mysterious ways i guess. congrats on your acceptance!

So a few people called on Monday including myself and we were separately told they're done giving out II :( good luck! There really isn't any clear understanding about how acceptances work. Just keeping doing you and it will pay off soon!

I feel you. 3.85+ (4.0 BPCM), 90%+ MCAT, multiple degrees including professional degree (top 5% of class in graduate school), good extracurriculars, in-state, minor research. Complete early September. Full ride scholarship to other medical school. Still MR at WSU and it looks like it's staying that way.

good to know that i'm not the only one. med schools admissions work in mysterious ways i guess. congrats on your acceptance!

Best part is I had a recruiter from the school hounding me to apply - multiple emails, LinkedIn invites/messages, etc. In mid/late October I even received an email from the recruiter letting me know that my application was scored/reviewed and he wished me "good luck" - silence since then. Oh well, wasn't meant to be. Med Admissions is indeed mysterious.

Last edited:
Hoping for some good news today.... Well, any news actually.

Reactions: 3 users
so on 02/13 interview day we were told we would hear decisions by 02/24..should i assume this is not correct and we wont actually hear till much later?

so on 02/13 interview day we were told we would hear decisions by 02/24..should i assume this is not correct and we wont actually hear till much later?
Honestly, at this point it seems as if things are in limbo. What you stated seems possible, plausible even, however there does not appear to be a clear consensus as to what is actually happening with the next bunch of acceptances/waitlists/rejections.

Acceptances are generally sent out on Friday (1-4 pm). Waitlists usually follow on Monday. Good luck to you all with getting an email today!

Acceptances are generally sent out on Friday (1-4 pm). Waitlists usually follow on Monday. Good luck to you all with getting an email today!
Im planning on deep cleaning my apartment for several hours to distract myself

Finally get to join this club everyone's been talking about! 2/13 wait list!