2016 Western University of Health Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wowwww your class ends so late!!! Where are you taking it at (sorry if you already told me)?? & when is the grade report due? They won't let you wait until your official grade is in?

Smc! Yeah transcripts are due june 1st but since I end late I had to do the unofficial grade which is due june 1st, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Smc! Yeah transcripts are due june 1st but since I end late I had to do the unofficial grade which is due june 1st, too.
I think most of the UC students have the same problem my last final is on Jun 11th and I am sure the official transcript is not ready before 20th....

Hmm so I got bored and googled a bit more in depth outside of SDN about Western. The bad reviews of course were much easier to find than the good ones and not to mention they were dated (Some from 2007 and some as late as 2010). For those of you who have more insight than I do about this, what are people saying about students that are graduating from this school? Are they knowledgeable/what kind of reputation does it's students have?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a lot of UCI students end up in Western because a lot of people I met from UCI are from SGV/walnut area, and they apply locally to stay in the area! It's kind of like why the class consists mostly of girls, it's just what they're working with not because of a preference towards one or the other :)

That's definitely true too haha. Forgot to include the possibility that UCI students are locals. Up here in northern cal, people don't care too much about Western. Not only is it attributed to the fact that barely anyone is from the area, but also, there's this "notion" that people here don't really get accepted to Western. I asked my friend who applied to all Cali schools (and MCPHS in boston), but didn't apply to Western. I asked him why and that was his reasoning.

With that said, I still can't help but to wonder if the mass amounts of UCI students admitted into Western builds some sort of reputation with each other over time. Western becomes impressed with UCI students' performance. Western becomes popular with UCI pre-pharm community. Positive feedback/domino effect happens. Hence why in the facebook group, there is a seemingly overwhelming majority of UCI students over the "local" UC's (UCR, UCSD, UCLA) and Calstates (Calpoly Pomona, CSU Fullerton, etc.),

Anyways, I gots mad love for you Irvine folks, so don't think I be hatin' or anything haha. I just love theorizing for fun. I know, I'm really weird......C/O 2016 has at least one big weirdo to deal with haha.

Hmm so I got bored and googled a bit more in depth outside of SDN about Western. The bad reviews of course were much easier to find than the good ones and not to mention they were dated (Some from 2007 and some as late as 2010). For those of you who have more insight than I do about this, what are people saying about students that are graduating from this school? Are they knowledgeable/what kind of reputation does it's students have?

I think I reputation is very tricky because it all boils down to who you talk to. Up here in norcal, it seems like people don't really....care/know about Western per se. In socal though, I've heard positive things (so far) about Western:

* When I was getting my immunizations done, the nurse told me that Western was a good school.
* A friend of mine has an uncle in socal who is a pharmacist. He has Western interns in his pharmacy and says that he enjoys having them and that Western was a good school.
* My cousin (pharmacist) initially told me to go to an out-of-state school as opposed to Western. Later on told me to choose Western instead. Her reasoning? She talked to a Western grad at some conference, and the grad told her that he really enjoyed his time at Western. He also said that Western students were more prepared for residency interviews because of the extra half year of experience/rotations.

Of course, with that said, take all the opinions (that I posted) with a grain of salt though. It all depends on who you talk to.

I think I reputation is very tricky because it all boils down to who you talk to. Up here in norcal, it seems like people don't really....care/know about Western per se. In socal though, I've heard positive things (so far) about Western:

* When I was getting my immunizations done, the nurse told me that Western was a good school.
* A friend of mine has an uncle in socal who is a pharmacist. He has Western interns in his pharmacy and says that he enjoys having them and that Western was a good school.
* My cousin (pharmacist) initially told me to go to an out-of-state school as opposed to Western. Later on told me to choose Western instead. Her reasoning? She talked to a Western grad at some conference, and the grad told her that he really enjoyed his time at Western. He also said that Western students were more prepared for residency interviews because of the extra half year of experience/rotations.

Of course, with that said, take all the opinions (that I posted) with a grain of salt though. It all depends on who you talk to.

Have you heard what the students thought of the faculty? I was hoping the alum that replied here a few pages back would have said something. I'm not expecting 10/10 stellar reviews because that's unreasonable. I guess the most interesting thing said so far from students in my search is that Western seemed like they just want your tuition money. Granted this was back in 04/07? A lot has changed in that time, but reputations, good or bad, are earned and not given. But most importantly, is Western still living up to that reputation is what I am most concerned about.

Just wondering, if I'm still on hold, should I be worried about sending in official transcripts as well? Or am I going to have a different deadline for it if accepted?

I got my alternate letter today, or technically, yesterday.

i remember you posting on the usc forum about your acceptance. congrats :) are you going to accept the alternate offer then?

i remember you posting on the usc forum about your acceptance. congrats :) are you going to accept the alternate offer then?

Thanks! I actually thought I did better on my interview with Western than USC though. I kind of want to accept the offer just to see if I get in for waiting so long, but I would also feel guilty for lagging the process since they have to review everyone.

I'm glad you posted that because my mom just called me right now to tell me I received a letter yesterday and I already imagined the worst that could happen because no one mentioned acceptances yesterday. Now I'm really hoping it is the alternate letter! She's waiting for me to get home to open it *crosses fingers*

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally, I got an alternate list... disappointed but at least we didnt get rejected... I try to think positive but boy this wait is definitely killing me since I hate checking my email every single minute and everyday. So everyone out there who accept to their dream school, please kindly let the school know the alternates can have their chances to get in. Also if people dont want to place on alternates list, please also let the school know so they dont have to review everyone. :):):)

Hurray! I got put on the alternate list too. How high are our chances now?

Hurray! I got put on the alternate list too. How high are our chances now?

Above 0% :p. But seriously, it means that you have a chance to get into the class up until orientation. Has anyone been flat out rejected yet?

Usually, how many people are put on the alternate list? :/

Thanks! I actually thought I did better on my interview with Western than USC though. I kind of want to accept the offer just to see if I get in for waiting so long, but I would also feel guilty for lagging the process since they have to review everyone.

if westernu does accept you, would you consider going there over usc? if not, i wouldn't waste the admission committee's time because they have to re-review everyone when spots open. but congrats on usc :)

holy crap just 10 ppl out of 120 alternate???? sounds a bit IMPOSSIBLE

Yeah 10ppl out of 120 is impossible!!!! ;(((( that's mean I have no chance at all since my interview was the last cycle! Huhuhu so sad

Hey I'm UC too, lol so what do we do? Just email our unofficial transcripts?

On the admitted students page theres a form for unofficial grade/degree that you have your professor/admin and records fill out.

Unofficial grade is only for remaining prereq work. Hope that helps!

It seems like everyone who was on hold is now an alternate? :(

It seems like everyone who was on hold is now an alternate? :(

I interviewed on the Dec 10th 11. Got on-hold email in Jan. I got my acceptance letter from both email and snail mail last week.

But I am declining the offer. Hope my spot will be given to one of you who is on the top waitlist.
Good luck

I interviewed on the Dec 10th 11. Got on-hold email in Jan. I got my acceptance letter from both email and snail mail last week.

But I am declining the offer. Hope my spot will be given to one of you who is on the top waitlist.
Good luck

Thanks for informing us... greatly appreciate that you are giving up a spot so one of us 120 peeps have a better chance =D

Does anyone know or have a general idea for when the wait list typically starts moving?

can someone help me? i am still taking classes right now and i don't end until mid-june. westernu wants us to send in our transcripts by june 1st right? what do i do? can someone send me the direct link on what i should do?

can someone help me? i am still taking classes right now and i don't end until mid-june. westernu wants us to send in our transcripts by june 1st right? what do i do? can someone send me the direct link on what i should do?

im assuming you wont even have unofficial transcript since your class did not end yet. Call western and ask what they prefer you do.

I sent an unofficial degree verification that showed that I was scheduled to have my degree after spring quarter 2012

Where does it say they want our transcripts by June 1st?

do we also have to do proof of legal residency? Or is that for non- residence only?

admissions told me that for those on the alternate list that are still in school, you don't need to send in your transcript exactly by June 1st, but do send them in as soon as they become available! just fyi.

Considering that USC just sent out more acceptances for their class, this hopefully will open a few more spots for Western.

Anyone order their white coats yet? Link is at http://www.westernu.edu/students-new-welcome. But http://banapps.westernu.edu:7778/forms/frmservlet?config=live8 doesn't seem to work even when I'm logged on

I ordered mine earlier today. I tried your link just now and I couldn't get on either. Try going through Banweb.

Banweb login screen -> Student Services Menu -> Student Records Menu -> White Coat Jacket/Pin Order Form

Somehow that path leads to a different URL haha. And if you have problems with the transaction (I know at least one other person who had trouble), call the bookstore on Monday.

I ordered mine earlier today. I tried your link just now and I couldn't get on either. Try going through Banweb.

Banweb login screen -> Student Services Menu -> Student Records Menu -> White Coat Jacket/Pin Order Form

Somehow that path leads to a different URL haha. And if you have problems with the transaction (I know at least one other person who had trouble), call the bookstore on Monday.

That worked. Thanks1

do we printe a lot in pharmacy school? In my undergrad, prof uploaded ppt slides the day before so I could printed them out and take note on them. I am not sure if this is the case for school at western.

I am thinking of switching into tablet completely, but I still found it not as easy as the traditional way.

do we printe a lot in pharmacy school? In my undergrad, prof uploaded ppt slides the day before so I could printed them out and take note on them. I am not sure if this is the case for school at western.

I am thinking of switching into tablet completely, but I still found it not as easy as the traditional way.

they have powerpoints, you can print if you wish to do so. I think students get a print card or something like that? I think I saw it somewhere on the school website.

What date did you have your interview conwynho???

Last edited:
What date did you have your interview?
January! but i don't think that matters.. I heard from an insider that they have already cateogrized all the names in order and it has already been set.

January! but i don't think that matters.. I heard from an insider that they have already cateogrized all the names in order and it has already been set.

what exactly has been set? Do you mean they made an order on the waitlist?