2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably a stupid question, but my plan was to just send 4 letters to everyone. But as it turns out, only a few programs specifically say "minimum 3 letters" or "3-4 letters." Most list "3 letters of recommendation" as an application requirement, and a few programs actually say 2 letters. Would sending 4 letters to a program that specifically says 3 letters be poor form?

No

If you are screened out for that, the program is malignant and you want to avoid.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone here who is privy to the workings of how a residency program operates? What happens if I wait till September 29th to apply instead of doing it on September 15th?
I am curious how your chances start to decrease with every passing day you don't apply. I did my cores here in Michigan and the associate program director told a buddy of mine not to worry because they don't even bother looking at your application until October 15th and won't even offer interviews until beginning of November. Is this common practice among a majority of programs?

May or may not matter if you wait until October 1, but why wait? Get your application in yesterday so the application committee members can view you. Early applications won't hurt, waiting may.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Already have two interviews scheduled.

Like others mentioned, if you guys get interviews, please try to update the sheet so that the rest of us can marval are your awesomeness.

Right, I understand. The issue that I am facing is my STEP 2CK score doesn't come for another 2 weeks.
The application in front of me is complete in regard to CV, personal statements, LORs, etc. I just don't want to apply without that score. I want it to be 'more' complete when programs open the file.

Do not wait. A few days isn't too bad, but 2 weeks after applications have gone out could hurt you - what are you going to do with a bad score? You are still applying this year regardless.

By two weeks we were already sending out our first wave of interview invites. We got progressively more picky with those as slots filled up. You don't want to be a late addition to the pool!

Reactions: 1 users
Already have two interviews scheduled.

Hey Awesome people who got interviews! First of all, congrats!
Would you guys mind posting which programs and which dates they offered for interviews? It'd be super nice to just have a rough idea for scheduling, (big) if we also get invite to same places!

TYVM!!! :pigeon:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was so excited to get an interview and then I learned it was at the most malignant anesthesiology program in the country, SUNY Downstate. Watch my next one be from Rush...

I was so excited to get an interview and then I learned it was at the most malignant anesthesiology program in the country, SUNY Downstate. Watch my next one be from Rush...
where do you get information like this from?

also, if i did bad on step 1 and good on step 2, will my application will be thrown out because of the low step 1 score? or considered b/c i meet 1 of the 2 scores.

You're acting like someone forced you to apply there

Reactions: 9 users
What are the most commonly known malignant programs? (ie SUNY Downstate and Rush from posts above)

where do you get information like this from?

also, if i did bad on step 1 and good on step 2, will my application will be thrown out because of the low step 1 score? or considered b/c i meet 1 of the 2 scores.
No one can tell you but anecdotally I've received interviews from places that I did not meet the step 1 requirement for

Is Thalamus completely separate from the ERAS interview calendar? I signed up for an interview on Thalamus but it doesn't show on my ERAS calendar

Is Thalamus completely separate from the ERAS interview calendar? I signed up for an interview on Thalamus but it doesn't show on my ERAS calendar
it's a different system, they're not linked other than the fact that some programs are adopting the use of thalamus over the ERAS system. its kinda like eras 2.0.. i like it so far

For those of you with invites at UTMB, have you been able to schedule an interview?

what the hell INTERVIEWS? how many???
I can tell you that this cycle already I got 2 interviews and they're both from places that had step 1 minimum on freida that I didn't meet and still got

Would it be better to just upload a 3rd letter and be complete rather then wait another 1 or 2 weeks for someone to write a LOR? I feel like by not being complete its hindering my chances for early IVs.

For those of us who missed the meeting (ok maybe it's only me), what is Thalamus? Should I be using it?

For those of us who missed the meeting (ok maybe it's only me), what is Thalamus? Should I be using it?

Seems to just be an interview scheduling site. Presumably you will be given signup instructions if you're offered an invite from an institution that uses it.

Yea thalamus is just a website some programs are using to schedule interviews. You may or may not come across it. I haven't used eras to schedule any interviews yet. 2/2 on thalamus so far.

Just got my first one! UofMn in Minneapolis! Only got offered one date for interviews though (Oct 7)!
Anything I should know about the program before I head there?
TY :pigeon:

If you get an interview from a school that uses Thalamus for scheduling, you will receive an email from the site inviting you to make an account.

For those of you with invites at UTMB, have you been able to schedule an interview?

I got an interview invite yesterday and called Meredith directly to schedule for December 15th. But it doesn't show in ERAS that it's scheduled yet. Meredith said they only interview on Thursdays, Fridays, and won't be interviewing during the week of Thanksgiving or the last 2 weeks of December.

Last edited:
Beware of SDN (or really any anonymous online forum) - as you'll see if you hang around, a vocal plurality will claim 15+ interviews, then 97+% on the in training exam all 4 years with only 2 days of study, fellowship interviews at only the top programs, incredible PP jobs with a 300K signing bonus and dainty French maids they come home to every night.

Clearly there is some hyperbole that happens here, so take things with a grain of salt. Applications opened 4 days ago!

Anyways, I've gotta get back to my French maid and my Scrooge McDuck money vault. See ya's!

Reactions: 7 users

Beggars can't be choosers man. That 214 Step 1 score I'm rocking limits me to the bottom of the Heap, 247 step 2 notwithstanding.

But I got an interview invite from someplace I actually want to go to in the same state so I can just collect them all together.

As an aside haven't you become a resident, a full surgeon, and perhaps graduated out of the field entirely? I swear you've been here longer than I have.

Question.

DO, Step 1 ~230, good grades, 1 pub. Won't have CK score until late October. No II yet (hopefully CK won't hinder that, vast majority of programs told me it wouldn't).

I applied 55 programs (basically every program that I'm competitive for) and a few that are a reach. All categorical. Should I apply to some separate internship years?

Question.

DO, Step 1 ~230, good grades, 1 pub. Won't have CK score until late October. No II yet (hopefully CK won't hinder that, vast majority of programs told me it wouldn't).

I applied 55 programs (basically every program that I'm competitive for) and a few that are a reach. All categorical. Should I apply to some separate internship years?

If you applied for all categorical then there is no need to add prelim yrs. You'll get interviews, dont worry!

Reactions: 2 users
To everyone obsessing over not getting interviews yet--CHILL OUT. Most programs have hundreds of applications to sort thru, narrow down, and send out invites to. We will get there, just be patient! Now, if you haven't gotten any by November, THEN you start to worry!!

Apps have been in for 6 days. It might be best for all of us to ignore this thread for the next 3 weeks at a minimum.
That's what I start out each day telling myself... then I inevitably give into my anxiety and get on SDN, lol

Check your ERAS inbox. I just received an invite from University of Kansas- Wichita program.

Last edited:
If a program I'm interested in starts sending out a lot of interview invites (judging by the spreadsheet) is it worth emailing them to let them know I'm really keen on going there? (If not - at what point does that become OK?)

If a program I'm interested in starts sending out a lot of interview invites (judging by the spreadsheet) is it worth emailing them to let them know I'm really keen on going there? (If not - at what point does that become OK?)

It's sure as hell not OK right now.

Reactions: 5 users
Apps have been in for 6 days. It might be best for all of us to ignore this thread for the next 3 weeks at a minimum.
I applied to most programs yesterday and already having palpitations reading this haha. Not even going to have my ECFMG certificate by October 1st maybe, so some programs won't even view my app until then.

Last edited:
I applied to most programs yesterday and already having palpitations reading this haha. Not even going to have my ECFMG certificate by October 1st maybe, so some programs won't even view my app until then.

I've read that some programs won't even read them by November 1st because of the MSPEs.