SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by repititionition, May 26, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2008
    South
    Since the match for “A” slots is the same for prelim match this is untrue. Programs have no idea where you wil match for your prelim spot, it depends on the black box match algorithm. And you don’t have to share your rank list with programs - that’s a match violation for them.

Diving a little deeper, though, the best applicants will opt for IM prelim or transitional year (over surgery prelim) so in that respect these top performers self-select for the most part.

WhiteCoatWonder and FFP like this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. John Ash

John Ash Probationary Status

Jan 18, 2017
    Was good until you compared a surgeon to a CRNA. That's like comparing oranges to apples. Totally different. Disagree on this point, I have respect to both careers.

Mehd School likes this.
  4. FFP

FFP Grunt, cog, body, pompous ass Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
    the opposite pole
    That's not what I said.

Once you've worked with a number of internists, surgeons and CRNAs, you will find a similitude between how some surgeons and CRNAs approach things, while many good anesthesiologists think closer to the level an internist would (just faster). Because of limited IM knowledge, many surgeons and CRNAs usually lack perspective about the impact of co-existing diseases.

Of course, generalizations are dangerous and probably untrue. I still recommend a strong IM prelim to anybody who takes anesthesiology seriously.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    AdmiralChz likes this.
  5. lukecifer

lukecifer 2+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2012
    huh :shrug:

FFP likes this.
  6. Precedexed Out

Precedexed Out Banned Banned Account on Hold

Aug 27, 2017
    Yes, well stated. A good background knowledge of medicine is essential to becoming a good anesthesiologist, IMHO.

WhiteCoatWonder likes this.
  7. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Up to six interviews, been a good week for me.

8. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    If we get to the point where we want to cancel interviews through ERAS, does selecting the decline option allow us to do that or do we need to email the program coordinator?

9. ButterButter

ButterButter 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    West coast DO applicant here currently sitting at 3 interviews. I know it's too early to start sending e-mails out, but would mid-October be more reasonable? I feel that I have a pretty competitive app, but most of the programs I'm applying too are mid-west and NE and my app shows no ties to those areas. Any other west coast DOs in a similar boat? If so, what's your game plan?

10. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Seems a little early even through October to send out emails of desperation. I think you just need a little patience, still lots of time to get interviews.

AdmiralChz and Reveler like this.
  11. Teeny91

Teeny91 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Home
    Try to be patient until the first 2-3 weeks of October are over. I can't remember specific program names off the top of my head, but I remember reading a few places don't send out interviews until they've received the MSPE (assuming all other document requirements are met). Also at some point, people will begin to cancel interviews, which I think will lead to more invites being sent out.

12. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    @Rads312 you should be good since you have a pulse. Anyone can match, just apply and you're in.

13. parcus

parcus

Aug 3, 2016
    Stagnated at 1 interview even though I applied to all programs outside of California pretty much, still no sign of my ecfmg certificate after 2 months of finishing all steps. 100% going to miss the deadline of several programs. Time to start applying to more programs. Great week. Hope I don't **** up that interview.

14. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    ECFMG certification is ran by who? What entity did you pay for that? Try not to be too discouraged, there is still time.

15. parcus

parcus

Aug 3, 2016
    Run by... ECFMG, I guess no better way to describe it. It just has been a frustrating process. Hopefully you are right.

16. Penny120

Penny120

Sep 30, 2017
    Has anyone on this thread received a Temple interview? If so, would you be so kind as to send itinerary information to me? Much appreciated!

17. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    ok, I was thinking it might be another money scheme ran by the dishonest AAMC.

18. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    I have received an invite and accepted. At this point, all I know is the date. Nothing more.

sleepysloth likes this.
  19. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Has anyone got preliminary/transitional interviews? Despite success thus far in anesthesia invites, I have received none from the preliminary/transitional programs? Not too worried about that because I can't afford to go on many of these anyway, but also want to avoid a prelim surgery scramble in March.

20. Penny120

Penny120

Sep 30, 2017
    Based on the spreadsheet, it seems there haven't been many invites yet...I've only got 2 so far

21. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Yea, with October and all applications have the ability to be complete, invites should begin to accelerate.

22. zyovka

zyovka 2+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2014
    So far just 1 invite. Gosh, this match is nerve wracking

23. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Hang in there, tomorrow the committees get serious and the interview flood gates begin to open.

24. Rads312

Rads312

Apr 23, 2016
    I'm an Integrated IR resident, so I won't do that. I have an Anesthesia background already which is why i commented to begin with. Good luck with the match.

25. Quizlet04

Quizlet04 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2011
    Every program that has offered me an interview appears to be a low-tier, IMG-filled, ultra-malignant workhorse with an awkward interview and no protected didactic time (according to last year's sheet). So that's making me feel SUPER GREAT.

26. WhiteCoatWonder

WhiteCoatWonder doin' it for the culture 7+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2009
    ...you knew those facts about the programs when you completed ERAS though...(?):eyebrow:

27. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    What "sheet" are you referring to?

parcus likes this.
  28. Psai

Psai Account on Hold Physician 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2014
    ヽ(´ー`)ノ
    Didn't mgh offer you an interview?

SnapperRocks likes this.
  29. Chip N Sawbones

Chip N Sawbones Ship's Carpenter 5+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2011
    62 degrees North
    I'll take any interviews you don't want.

Quizlet04 likes this.
  30. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    What is the normal/expected attire for the evening before social with residents? Blue jeans and nice shirt, or more formal? Don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

31. Quizlet04

Quizlet04 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2011
    I pretend that one doesn't exist for my own sanity, though it is scheduled and I am preparing my biggest, most confident smile. I haven't heard from anything else in that tier yet. Second wave etc. etc. Maybe?

As for things I did and didn't know, I knew at the time I should apply to anything that might take me because my Step 1 was so mediocre. Now I know a little better and have options...sort of. I'm hoping for a few more to pan out.

Precedexed Out likes this.
  32. Neurodelic

Neurodelic ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Depends (as always). But I think it's just long-sleeve, collared shirt and decent long pants (such as khakis). Jeans would be too informal and you run the risk of being the most underdressed person

33. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Long sleeve buttoned up collared shirt and khakis, got it, Thanks.

Now I just have to remember not to get trashed at the dinner. I wonder how information from these dinners/socials gets transmitted back to the program director or selection committee.

AdmiralChz likes this.
  34. Quizlet04

Quizlet04 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2011
    It depends largely on whether you're a funny drunk, an angry drunk, or a man who gets white girl wasted. The first one is acceptable, the last two are not.

Precedexed Out likes this.
  35. killerleaf

killerleaf beware, beyond there be dragons 10+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2006
    dazed and confused
    At our program, the residents meet after the last interviews, and formulate their own rank list. This is when things like "got drunk at the dinner and kissed the host" get said, and weighed. The residents who acted as recruiters then present their list at the main Rank List meeting...with the reasons why they liked one person over another. And again, the "got drunk at the dinner and kissed the host" story gets told. Sometimes it is funny and no big deal, and sometimes it is a solid "no, we are not ranking that person". Not saying don't drink, but rather drink in moderation. especially if you are the type to kiss people after a few. :)

Also, at our dinners, nice shirt and nice jeans are fine. But then, I tell you that in the email I send. Most programs do give you a heads up on the dress code for the dinner.

36. carey187

carey187 2+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Hi guys, I'm just finding this thread. I've got 8 interviews so far -- how do I gain access to the spreadsheet?

37. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2006

Be sure to tell them you are not racist and treat all people equally.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Poor impulse control.

38. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Talk about attempting to derail a thread, wow, that has no place here. A rational person would have the discipline to leave this discussion in the appropriate forum.

39. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Keep it civil please. Thread is very close to being locked as it is. Thanks.

40. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Locked? What are you referring to? One user makes an entirely inappropriate comment and you'll lock it? Why not discipline that user instead of punishing the rest of us who have been making appropriate posts that have been on topic?

You can't be serious about locking the anesthesiology residency application thread.

moisne, parcus and zyovka like this.
  41. WholeLottaGame7

WholeLottaGame7 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Right here.
    Lol I do think you're mixing up threads.

parcus likes this.
  42. parcus

parcus

Aug 3, 2016
    I thought I was the only one thinking: WTH is going on? haha.

43. WholeLottaGame7

Jul 10, 2005
    Right here.
    I'm starting to think you are just wound too tight. Relax, laugh a little, especially at yourself. If you're sensitive all the time, people are going to pile on. Residency, and particularly anesthesia, is all about learning to swallow a s*** sandwich and laugh while you do it. If you let surgeons and OR staff and attendings tweak you constantly, it will be a long 4 years.

Also, while sarcastic, he had a point. Don't bring up those other topics at interview dinners. You never know who's going to take something the wrong way, and I can tell you that most of your colleagues are not going to have similar viewpoints to you. I would say stick to things like sports, but that might derail quickly. So maybe stick to safe stuff like movies, the geography, hobbies, etc.

Wear a button-down and slacks, even if the invite says jeans. It's never over-dressing, and you don't want to be the least dressed person there. Have 0, 1, or maybe at most 2 drinks if the event goes on for awhile. Some residents may take it as the opportunity to get sloshed, resist the urge to follow suit. Nothing you do at the dinner is going to guarantee your acceptance, but some things at the dinner will guarantee your rejection.

njtrimed, Koan, QueenJames and 3 others like this.
  44. WhiteCoatWonder

WhiteCoatWonder doin' it for the culture 7+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2009
    ohooo man....gotta study a few maps before dinner to get ranked?! im on it. (also, 1.5 s*** sandwiches for me, please and thank you). :nod:

i know that SDN represents a minuscule portion of the applicant pool, but i really RLY hope that through God's grace and the match, that there are very few (aka none) of my future co-interns posting vehemently on this forum. please, please. amen.

p.s. i'll take a few of you though! good luck mates!

45. rsc25

rsc25 5+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2011
    The Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital program is in ERAS now... the program was approved for 12 spots per CA class in early September but it only just processed to ERAS this week. :)

(source: brown ms4 currently rotating with the docs running the residency)

46. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2001
    lol maybe;). There's a first time for everything.

47. WholeLottaGame7

Jul 10, 2005
    Right here.
    Lol, I know it sounds weird, but I couldn't figure out a better way to put it. Like, how far is the beach/mountain/city/airport/etc? But, if you don't get all 50 state capitals, that is major deductions on your ranking.

I actually knew a few of my co-interns through SDN, but they ended up not being the ones I was closest to. Despite appearances, many people don't even know SDN exists.

48. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2008
    South
    12 sounds like a large number of trainees to take on for an institution that hasn’t had that specialty before...

Agree! There is always one or two applicants a year that drink too much, get hammered and honestly put forth a bad look during the interview dinner. They typically go unranked.

And as for residents we had one a couple years ago who would almost as a rule get 4-5 drinks and encourage all around to follow suit. The administration was pretty hacked off and denied him a fellowship position (for a minimally-competitive subspecialty). Don’t be that person either!

49. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    What does it matter if future co-interns are posting on here? Are you such a shallow person that you can't get along with someone who shares different political beliefs than yourself? I have friends that are extremely liberal and conservative, doesn't affect friendships one bit.

SDN seems to have a liberal tilt, so you'll most likely be disappointed in residency where there will be an equal prevalence.

EdChambers likes this.
  50. GAS9898

GAS9898 ASA Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Is there somewhere to look up fellowship matches by residency program if a program doesn't post on their website where recent grads are going?

51. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Any one else having a slow week with interview invites? Through last week, I had six, and got one so far this week. Not complaining too much, but most of my invites have been from back up programs and I don't want to waste my time or theirs if I can avoid it, especially if I can secure some interviews at some of the places I prefer to go.