2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it true that it is easier to get into an advanced spots than a categorical? Asking this because it feels to me as if getting into a more competitive program would be worth the effort of applying to surgery prelim programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how I can easily find out what programs accept a lot of out of state grads for their residency program? I want to apply to more schools but have no idea how to find this information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how I can easily find out what programs accept a lot of out of state grads for their residency program? I want to apply to more schools but have no idea how to find this information.

Few residencies seem to have a strong in-state bias. You can just look at the program's list of current residents.

And remember that even if you do look at a program's resident list and see mostly in-state, a lot of that is self selection- most programs are always happy to have out of state people if they have an interest in the area! Just apply in programs where you'd like to live; don't overthink it.

Reactions: 1 users
Pleasant surprise at how quickly the interview floodgates have blown open. Now if only the logistics weren't a dang ol nightmare

Pleasant surprise at how quickly the interview floodgates have blown open. Now if only the logistics weren't a dang ol nightmare

not even complaining. interview invite? everything else canceled. not like any part m4 is uncancellable at this point. bwaha!

Is it true that it is easier to get into an advanced spots than a categorical? Asking this because it feels to me as if getting into a more competitive program would be worth the effort of applying to surgery prelim programs.

Yes, I think so. in terms of the match algorithm, it will match you at the highest preferred. If most people are not applying to a certain program's advanced spot (which is usually true), then if you rank that spot high on your list more likely you will get it since the program has less people to rank in those spots. At the end of the day though, rank in order of your true preference.

Preliminary/Transitional Year Interview thread 2017-2018

Illinois
Loyola Prelim-Med (9/18): 10/26, 11/30, 12/28, 1/18\
UIC Prelim-Med (9/19): Th and Fri 10/12 - 1/19
Macneal TY (9/19): 10/9, 10/10, 10/16, 10/17, 10/23, 10/24, 10/30, 10/31

Michigan
Wayne State TY (9/20): Tues/Wed/Fri - 11/01, 11/03, 11/08, 11/21, 12/06, 12/08, 12/20, 1/03, 1/16

Missouri
WashU Prelim-Med (9/15):11/6, 11/13, 12/4, 12/11

Nebraska
University of Nebraska Prelim-Med (9/19): 10/16, 10/23, 10/30, 11/13, 11/20, 11/27

New York
UHS, Wilson Medical Center (9/20): 9/29, 10/6, 10/13, 10/17, 10/19, 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/14, 11/16, 11/17, 11/28, 11/30, 12/8, 12/15, 12/22
NYU Winthrop (9/21): N/A

North Carolina
Carolinas Medical Center (9/18): 10/24, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 12/5, 12/12, 12/19, 1/9

Ohio
Toledo Prelim-Med (9/19): Tues/Thurs - 11/2, 11/7, 11/9, 11/14, 11/16, 11/21, 11/28, 11/30, 12/5, 12/7, 12/12, 12/14, 12/19

Oregon
Legacy Health (9/19): 11/9, 11/16, 12/7, 12/14 skype dates: 11/30, 12/21, 1/4

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is doubting whether doing away rotations helps, I just got an invite at University of Vermont even though I got terrible scores both times I took Step I. Showing up early every day and setting up the residents' rooms for them must have convinced someone that I'd make a good resident.

Thank you for that brief episode of SVT Oregon.

Reactions: 5 users
Wtf why did they do that to us
I actually don't mind. It's nice to know if I haven't heard from them by a certain date, I'm not going to. Kind of wish they all would do that, just not through ERAS.

Anyone knows more details about the combined tracks in Stanford Anesthesia?

Anybody just get a rush interview with instructions to follow the attached letter, but there isn't an attached letter?

Anybody just get a rush interview with instructions to follow the attached letter, but there isn't an attached letter?

View the message through ERAS message center instead of your email and there should be an attached letter

Is there anything to make of interview offers before MSPE is in? Any tendency to mean that programs want you or even the opposite like you made a cutoff and are in the region so you automatically get an interview? Reason I ask is because it seems like the top programs do not send out invites until after the MSPE is in, but some 40% of programs have already sent out invites. Maybe it means nothing if you get interview invite before MSPE, maybe it does.. I'm just not sure what to make of it.

Is there anything to make of interview offers before MSPE is in? Any tendency to mean that programs want you or even the opposite like you made a cutoff and are in the region so you automatically get an interview? Reason I ask is because it seems like the top programs do not send out invites until after the MSPE is in, but some 40% of programs have already sent out invites. Maybe it means nothing if you get interview invite before MSPE, maybe it does.. I'm just not sure what to make of it.
Probably just means they don't care too much about MSPE?

Programs may also be auto-inviting students from the home institution, and those that have rotated or will rotate there. Not a huge deal if you haven't gotten an invite within 9 days of apps being available.

Do programs send out emails declining an interview offer.....EG if the program i applied to already sent out offers, does that mean i missed out?
Not necessarily. You may have been waitlisted, etc. There are multiple rounds of interviews invitations. They probably send IV to the very best at first, then as some are cancelled they invite more people. I would rather programs did not send rejection emails. I'm an IMG and less than 24 hours after applying Wake forest sent me a rejection letter, made me feel like crap. I spent the whole day thinking whether there was something really dumb in my application, thankfully received an invitation 2 days later.

Last edited:
It seems that all the google doc has become view only. Anyone able to edit the chat area?

Programs may also be auto-inviting students from the home institution, and those that have rotated or will rotate there. Not a huge deal if you haven't gotten an invite within 9 days of apps being available.
I'm not worried on that front.. actually quite the opposite. I'm not a competitive student but have received 5 interview invites so far.. so I'm wondering if somehow I just made it for an interview but will be ranked poorly or if for some reason programs see something in me that I don't.

I'm not worried on that front.. actually quite the opposite. I'm not a competitive student but have received 5 interview invites so far.. so I'm wondering if somehow I just made it for an interview but will be ranked poorly or if for some reason programs see something in me that I don't.

You're more competitive than you think. Programs aren't wasting interview spots, especially this early, on candidates that they would never rank.

WHy wouldn't it be OK?
Imagine you are the interview coordinator and after you send out the first batch of invites, a student emails you saying they are interested in your program and wanted to know why they weren't invited for an interview.. let that sink in for a moment what kind of applicant you are painting yourself to be..

The likelihood of the MSPE changing the decision to invite is extremely low. They already know your grades, your USMLE scores, and whether or not your education was interrupted (ie, you had to repeat a year). The chances that candidates who are qualified in those areas will have negative remarks on the MSPE is low. It is worth the risk of wrongly inviting one person per year to get a jump on the good candidates. As mentioned above, the MSPE has become almost worthless over the last 20 years as it rarely gives a class rank and any negative comments have likely been protested by the candidate down to something more benign, unless it was an egregious offense. In that case, they likely had to repeat a course (or year), which would need to be noted as an interruption in education in another section of ERAS. So, count me as someone who thinks the MSPE has become rather worthless, except for a very few medical schools who are very forthcoming. Most of those schools are in the process of changing to how everyone else does it, since it puts their fourth quartile students at a disadvantage when trying to match. One of the ways Deans are graded is by what percentage of their students match into residency programs, so it is in the dean's best interest to hide things from program directors which might make the students look bad and be unmatchable. I can tell you that this is done frequently across the country.

Imagine you are the interview coordinator and after you send out the first batch of invites, a student emails you saying they are interested in your program and wanted to know why they weren't invited for an interview.. let that sink in for a moment what kind of applicant you are painting yourself to be..

do interviews happen in batches, though, or all at once? for a few programs (nyu, for example) it looks like most dates through January are already taken.

Because it's September.

do interviews happen in batches, though, or all at once? for a few programs (nyu, for example) it looks like most dates through January are already taken.

I understand what yall are saying, and I don't want to be "that applicant," but as Soulstice pointed out, if I want to go to a program but they send all their invites out, its already too late for me to email them. So it doesn't whether I'll look desperate or not, but when would you send emails to programs you are interested in.

So with that said, how can you know if there will be a second wave of invites and how do you know if they are done sending them out.

Some programs go through all of their applications individually which takes time. I got some of my invites to the big name places later in the season.

Unless a program has only one or two interview days, most will send a second wave. Please quit panicking. Wait until next week. THEN you can panic!!

Unless a program has only one or two interview days, most will send a second wave. Please quit panicking. Wait until next week. THEN you can panic!!

I was genuinely curious about that question myself. The reason is one of the programs that offered me an interview has interview days on Monday's and Fridays from now until February. I luckily jammed my foot in the door long enough to submit my date. The rest of the dates were full within an hour.

Unless the plan on adding more slots to the dates, I kind of doubt they add more days because their site specifically states they interview on Mon/Fri. Luckily for most people here it probably isn't a program high on their list.

More dates will open up for most programs because all the top tier programs haven't sent out invites yet. Thus, when those open up you can bet for sure people will have to turn down interviews they already took, leaving open spots for second/third waves of interview invites. There's so much motion in the system that to contact a program this early in the game is only going to make you look super anal. I would contact a program if you don't hear back from them by the middle/end of October.

Alright people. I think I got this new form working on a new sheet. I left the old applicant data on a sheet, made a new form sheet for new people to submit. If you want to resubmit so you can update your data feel free. Please let me know if there are any issues.

Just don't be a dingus and add fake stuff.

PS apparently they turned my swear into dingus. **** you SDN.

Last edited:
Some people in a facebook group are claiming that some programs only accept IM prelims for advanced anesthesiology spots. Could not find anything to back this up; is it a myth?

Some people in a facebook group are claiming that some programs only accept IM prelims for advanced anesthesiology spots. Could not find anything to back this up; is it a myth?
If true, those PDs are smart. A good IM prelim will probably run circles knowledge-wise around many surgical prelims. The former tend to get better teaching, and have much more time to read (plus usually have higher USMLE scores to begin with). Of course, I have seen pretty bad IM prelims (from weak programs, unsurprisingly), too, while some of my best co-residents had done a surgical prelim.

Still, in my mind, an internist is to an anesthesiologist as a surgeon is to a CRNA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since the match for “A” slots is the same for prelim match this is untrue. Programs have no idea where you wil match for your prelim spot, it depends on the black box match algorithm. And you don’t have to share your rank list with programs - that’s a match violation for them.

Diving a little deeper, though, the best applicants will opt for IM prelim or transitional year (over surgery prelim) so in that respect these top performers self-select for the most part.