2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in the same situation, you guys aren't alone. Six interview invites prior to October 1st, none since then.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
same. I have 13 from before October. Only 1 in this past week.

(Keep in mind, I applied to 89 anesthesia + 10 prelim, couple matching with ortho).

So far, zero prelim interviews. Hoping a categorical will take me or I'll have to scramble in.

Last edited:
Anyone else hate programs that offer you an invite and then then don't have any interview slots available? Or even better, don't have dates at all but want you to commit? Looking at you LSU.

I've gotten one every other day or so. Like everyone else, these are almost all my backups. Still I'm not complaining really. The alternative is having no options.

And then I get three since my last message.

I've gotten invites from programs with no slots. I signed up for wait list and got on in a couple of hours.

Seriously, what kind of residency program hands out interview invites at 5:30 PM after the department secretary in charge of scheduling has gone home for the weekend?

Oh, right. My home program.

Reactions: 1 user
Two total invites for the week. Got one today, at least it is one higher up on my list. Still don't feel comfortable canceling any of my back up spots yet.

Leave your hotel and head to the interview. What do you do with luggage? Going straight to airport by Lyft after interview. Do most interviews provide a place to keep it? It would seem extremely awkward to show up to the with luggage if this isn't the normal (weird anyway), but at the same time I don't know what else to do.

Leave your hotel and head to the interview. What do you do with luggage? Going straight to airport by Lyft after interview. Do most interviews provide a place to keep it? It would seem extremely awkward to show up to the with luggage if this isn't the normal (weird anyway), but at the same time I don't know what else to do.
From my experience with traveling: leave your luggage at the hotel after you check out and go back later to pick it up.

Also drying up here; 18 before October, 4 since then

Lots of people show up with luggage- you can leave it in the coordinator’s office or they will have a place to keep it, this is fine. Esp if it keeps you from having to go back to your hotel!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also drying up here; 18 before October, 4 since then

arguably this is the reason that it's "dried up" -- there can be little or no movement at places that have already offered interviews until people with extreme numbers like this start declining so that they can be re-offered to others.

Nobody in their right mind is going on 22 interviews. The point of the game is not to amass as many as possible, but to go on the 10 you think you'd actually like to train at.

Reactions: 2 users
arguably this is the reason that it's "dried up" -- there can be little or no movement at places that have already offered interviews until people with extreme numbers like this start declining so that they can be re-offered to others.

Nobody in their right mind is going on 22 interviews. The point of the game is not to amass as many as possible, but to go on the 10 you think you'd actually like to train at.

Except they earned every one of those interviews and owes you jack.

I fully intend to go on 20 of the 22 I have received, and I have declined the 2 interviews at places I no longer am interested in. I've still got 2 more places I'm interested in that I haven't heard from, so I actually do intend to go on 22 interviews.

A part of me agrees with you and feels bad for going on this many interviews instead of cancelling some more and letting someone else go. But that small part is overruled by the much larger part of me that says, "hey, this is my career and my life. I'm making literally one of the most important decisions I will ever make in my life, and to willingly decrease the amount of information I have available to make that decision is not fair to myself." I can't know the 10 places I would really like to train at until I go visit those programs.

I'm an average applicant applying to anesthesia. Unfortunately one of my letter writers decided to lag and upload my last LOR late so my app wasn't "complete" until Oct. 3. Right now I only have 2 interviews. I applied to about 30 schools. Should I be worried and apply to a backup specialty at this point also? Any advice would be appreciated.

Can someone post the doximity anesthesiology residency rankings just to get a general sense of program rank?

I'm an average applicant applying to anesthesia. Unfortunately one of my letter writers decided to lag and upload my last LOR late so my app wasn't "complete" until Oct. 3. Right now I only have 2 interviews. I applied to about 30 schools. Should I be worried and apply to a backup specialty at this point also? Any advice would be appreciated.

No not if you're average. You only have to worry about not matching if you're below average. And your backup specialty applications will be even later.

No not if you're average. You only have to worry about not matching if you're below average. And your backup specialty applications will be even later.

I'm average in every sense of the word. Average to slightly above Step scores, passed all my classes and rotations with average scores and evals, 1-2 research experience with no publications, couple of volunteer experiences here and there. I'm just worried because I only have two interviews so far. Thanks for the input.

I'm average in every sense of the word. Average to slightly above Step scores, passed all my classes and rotations with average scores and evals, 1-2 research experience with no publications, couple of volunteer experiences here and there. I'm just worried because I only have two interviews so far. Thanks for the input.

You're not allowed to begin worrying until at least the 15th when programs that care about the dean's letter start looking at applications.

People on SDN have been known to lie. Even if everyone's telling the truth there's a huge reporting bias. The one guy with a dozen interviews is far more likely to brag by casually mentioning it here than the ten guys who have two interviews each. Medical schools are required to submit their MSPEs, commonly known as the dean's letters, by October 15th, at which point our applications are complete. Many residencies don't begin looking at applications until then.

People on SDN have been known to lie. Even if everyone's telling the truth there's a huge reporting bias. The one guy with a dozen interviews is far more likely to brag by casually mentioning it here than the ten guys who have two interviews each. Medical schools are required to submit their MSPEs, commonly known as the dean's letters, by October 15th, at which point our applications are complete. Many residencies don't begin looking at applications until then.

Oh, thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

Also part of the group where majority of IVs thus far were before Oct 1, with only a couple coming in over the past week. I suspect the bigger names are taking their sweet time going through the apps meticulously knowing people won't cancel on them once they send out. I've had numerous emails saying programs won't be sending out IV's until a certain time frame yet that SDN excel has people putting in that they've already received IV's... so like all things on a public forum take it with a giant grain of salt. There should be a good amount of movement over the next few weeks, my schedule is already a cluttered mess and I will be cancelling a few here and there once my preferred places start opening up.

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of people show up with luggage- you can leave it in the coordinator’s office or they will have a place to keep it, this is fine. Esp if it keeps you from having to go back to your hotel!

This would be helpful, especially if time is a concern and the next flight is four hours later and $100 more. Wold you recommend calling the coordinator to make sure this is ok or is this mostly universal?

Also part of the group where majority of IVs thus far were before Oct 1, with only a couple coming in over the past week. I suspect the bigger names are taking their sweet time going through the apps meticulously knowing people won't cancel on them once they send out. I've had numerous emails saying programs won't be sending out IV's until a certain time frame yet that SDN excel has people putting in that they've already received IV's... so like all things on a public forum take it with a giant grain of salt. There should be a good amount of movement over the next few weeks, my schedule is already a cluttered mess and I will be cancelling a few here and there once my preferred places start opening up.

I know several people in my class who have received less than three invites so far. I was expecting more invites last week, but it is easy to lose sight of the fact we are still early in the season.

I know several people in my class who have received less than three invites so far. I was expecting more invites last week, but it is easy to lose sight of the fact we are still early in the season.

Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. Hopefully schools show us some love this coming week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This would be helpful, especially if time is a concern and the next flight is four hours later and $100 more. Wold you recommend calling the coordinator to make sure this is ok or is this mostly universal?

Come on man you're going to be a doctor in 7 months surely you can figure this out....

It’s pretty universal, but you could always shoot the coordinator an email in advance if you’re worried about it. Pretty sure every interview I went on there were a few people with luggage though. You certainly won’t be the first!

Last I checked, the point of the game is to get in to anesthesia residency. You never know why someone might need 20+ interviews: they could be couples matching, they could be trying to stay in one area like the Northeast, or they might feel there is a part of their application that is lacking that they need to compensate for.

There's no point in worry about other people, just worry about the things you can control. As others have said, there's still plenty of time, some programs don't offer interviews until all data is complete.

Last I checked, the point of the game is to get in to anesthesia residency. You never know why someone might need 20+ interviews: they could be couples matching, they could be trying to stay in one area like the Northeast, or they might feel there is a part of their application that is lacking that they need to compensate for.

There's no point in worry about other people, just worry about the things you can control. As others have said, there's still plenty of time, some programs don't offer interviews until all data is complete.

My guess is that most people don't go on 22 interviews, but participating in the couple's match would probably be a good reason to do it.

my program doesnt invite ANYONE only home students (all get interviews) and away rotators that scored interviews until deans letter. we normally have 5-10 each year from home want to do anesthesia.

hopefully that makes some of you feel better.

my program doesnt invite ANYONE only home students (all get interviews) and away rotators that scored interviews until deans letter. we normally have 5-10 each year from home want to do anesthesia.

hopefully that makes some of you feel better.

I have heard the exact same thing about several programs as well.

Sigh...still nothing here. I've been worrying

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
don't worry, you're not alone
url
4uYB7lv.gif

October 15th deadline? According to ERAS Timeline, it's October 1st.

well damn.. my MSPE won't be helping me much TT____TT

So is not sending out rejection letters a thing in Anesthesia? Seems like all my friends in other fields get one while I'm stuck in limbo basically.

Last edited:
Has MGH or Brigham and Women's Hospital sent out invitations yet?....just wondering....

So is not sending out rejection letters a thing in Anesthesia? Seems like all my friends in other fields get one while I'm stuck in limbo basically.

I got two. If you want them that badly I guess I could trade them for one of your interviews.

I got only one so far, so I think receiving silent rejections is the rule. I applied to many programs and I bet many have already silently declined my application since I am a FMG.

Anyways better to get a silent rejection than a rejection followed by an email saying CORRECTED!!!!!!!!!! ........ the date in the email is wrong, btw it is still a rejection (thanks Columbia!).

I got only one so far, so I think receiving silent rejections is the rule. I applied to many programs and I bet many have already silently declined my application since I am a FMG.

Anyways better to get a silent rejection than a rejection followed by an email saying CORRECTED!!!!!!!!!! ........ the date in the email is wrong, btw it is still a rejection (thanks Columbia!).

Lmao they rejected you twice