2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by repititionition, May 26, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. igeak691

igeak691 2+ Year Member

May 19, 2013
    NY
    Got all my IIs before Oct 1st.. none since then...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Teeny91

Teeny91 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I'm in the same situation, you guys aren't alone. Six interview invites prior to October 1st, none since then.

4. madod

madod 5+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Similar deal here: 5 before 10/1, 2 this week.

5. jonnythan

jonnythan Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul 5+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2012
    5 before 10/1 and 1 since.

6. moisne

moisne 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2014
    same. I have 13 from before October. Only 1 in this past week.

(Keep in mind, I applied to 89 anesthesia + 10 prelim, couple matching with ortho).

So far, zero prelim interviews. Hoping a categorical will take me or I'll have to scramble in.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  7. Quizlet04

Quizlet04 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2011
    Anyone else hate programs that offer you an invite and then then don't have any interview slots available? Or even better, don't have dates at all but want you to commit? Looking at you LSU.

I've gotten one every other day or so. Like everyone else, these are almost all my backups. Still I'm not complaining really. The alternative is having no options.

8. jonnythan

Jan 26, 2012
    And then I get three since my last message.

I've gotten invites from programs with no slots. I signed up for wait list and got on in a couple of hours.

9. Chip N Sawbones

Chip N Sawbones Ship's Carpenter 5+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Below sea level
    Seriously, what kind of residency program hands out interview invites at 5:30 PM after the department secretary in charge of scheduling has gone home for the weekend?

Oh, right. My home program.

jonnythan likes this.
  10. jonnythan

Jan 26, 2012
    I suspect we got the same invite.

11. Precedexed Out

Precedexed Out Banned Banned Account on Hold

Aug 27, 2017
    Two total invites for the week. Got one today, at least it is one higher up on my list. Still don't feel comfortable canceling any of my back up spots yet.

12. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Leave your hotel and head to the interview. What do you do with luggage? Going straight to airport by Lyft after interview. Do most interviews provide a place to keep it? It would seem extremely awkward to show up to the with luggage if this isn't the normal (weird anyway), but at the same time I don't know what else to do.

13. parcus

parcus

Aug 3, 2016
    From my experience with traveling: leave your luggage at the hotel after you check out and go back later to pick it up.

beachbum353353 likes this.
  14. jqueb29

jqueb29 5+ Year Member

May 4, 2011
    Also drying up here; 18 before October, 4 since then

15. 2010houston

2010houston Resident 7+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Physician
    Lots of people show up with luggage- you can leave it in the coordinator’s office or they will have a place to keep it, this is fine. Esp if it keeps you from having to go back to your hotel!

16. repititionition

repititionition Sure! 5+ Year Member

Feb 29, 2012
    arguably this is the reason that it's "dried up" -- there can be little or no movement at places that have already offered interviews until people with extreme numbers like this start declining so that they can be re-offered to others.

Nobody in their right mind is going on 22 interviews. The point of the game is not to amass as many as possible, but to go on the 10 you think you'd actually like to train at.

17. Psai

Psai Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2014
    ヽ(´ー`)ノ
    Physician
    Except they earned every one of those interviews and owes you jack.

jqueb29 likes this.
  18. repititionition

repititionition Sure! 5+ Year Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Dude intern year is wearing on you. I have plenty of interviews. My point is a global one, has nothing to do with me.

19. Psai

Psai Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2014
    ヽ(´ー`)ノ
    Physician
    Then stop whining thanks

20. jqueb29

jqueb29 5+ Year Member

May 4, 2011
    I fully intend to go on 20 of the 22 I have received, and I have declined the 2 interviews at places I no longer am interested in. I've still got 2 more places I'm interested in that I haven't heard from, so I actually do intend to go on 22 interviews.

A part of me agrees with you and feels bad for going on this many interviews instead of cancelling some more and letting someone else go. But that small part is overruled by the much larger part of me that says, "hey, this is my career and my life. I'm making literally one of the most important decisions I will ever make in my life, and to willingly decrease the amount of information I have available to make that decision is not fair to myself." I can't know the 10 places I would really like to train at until I go visit those programs.

21. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    I'm an average applicant applying to anesthesia. Unfortunately one of my letter writers decided to lag and upload my last LOR late so my app wasn't "complete" until Oct. 3. Right now I only have 2 interviews. I applied to about 30 schools. Should I be worried and apply to a backup specialty at this point also? Any advice would be appreciated.

22. Carbocation1

Carbocation1 2+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Can someone post the doximity anesthesiology residency rankings just to get a general sense of program rank?

justAstudent likes this.
  23. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2006
    No not if you're average. You only have to worry about not matching if you're below average. And your backup specialty applications will be even later.

24. justAstudent

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    I'm average in every sense of the word. Average to slightly above Step scores, passed all my classes and rotations with average scores and evals, 1-2 research experience with no publications, couple of volunteer experiences here and there. I'm just worried because I only have two interviews so far. Thanks for the input.

25. Chip N Sawbones

Jan 19, 2011
    Below sea level
    You're not allowed to begin worrying until at least the 15th when programs that care about the dean's letter start looking at applications.

justAstudent likes this.
  26. justAstudent

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    Oh, sorry. What is the significance of that date? I keep seeing people talk about all of their interviews and just started freaking out.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  27. Chip N Sawbones

Jan 19, 2011
    Below sea level
    People on SDN have been known to lie. Even if everyone's telling the truth there's a huge reporting bias. The one guy with a dozen interviews is far more likely to brag by casually mentioning it here than the ten guys who have two interviews each. Medical schools are required to submit their MSPEs, commonly known as the dean's letters, by October 15th, at which point our applications are complete. Many residencies don't begin looking at applications until then.

Mehd School and WhiteCoatWonder like this.
  28. justAstudent

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    Oh, thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

29. SD3321

SD3321 5+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Also part of the group where majority of IVs thus far were before Oct 1, with only a couple coming in over the past week. I suspect the bigger names are taking their sweet time going through the apps meticulously knowing people won't cancel on them once they send out. I've had numerous emails saying programs won't be sending out IV's until a certain time frame yet that SDN excel has people putting in that they've already received IV's... so like all things on a public forum take it with a giant grain of salt. There should be a good amount of movement over the next few weeks, my schedule is already a cluttered mess and I will be cancelling a few here and there once my preferred places start opening up.

justAstudent and operavore like this.
  30. ether345

ether345

Oct 7, 2017
  31. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    This would be helpful, especially if time is a concern and the next flight is four hours later and $100 more. Wold you recommend calling the coordinator to make sure this is ok or is this mostly universal?

32. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    I know several people in my class who have received less than three invites so far. I was expecting more invites last week, but it is easy to lose sight of the fact we are still early in the season.

justAstudent and SD3321 like this.
  33. justAstudent

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. Hopefully schools show us some love this coming week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Precedexed Out likes this.
  34. NotFrankUnderwood

NotFrankUnderwood 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Come on man you're going to be a doctor in 7 months surely you can figure this out....

35. 2010houston

2010houston Resident 7+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Physician
    It’s pretty universal, but you could always shoot the coordinator an email in advance if you’re worried about it. Pretty sure every interview I went on there were a few people with luggage though. You certainly won’t be the first!

36. DrMaximus

DrMaximus CA-1 7+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2009
    In the sun
    Physician
    Really late to the party, but just wanted to wish the applicants this year good luck!!

37. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    Yea, since I have done this before. Refrain from making posts that are non-contributory.

38. WholeLottaGame7

WholeLottaGame7 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Right here.
    Last I checked, the point of the game is to get in to anesthesia residency. You never know why someone might need 20+ interviews: they could be couples matching, they could be trying to stay in one area like the Northeast, or they might feel there is a part of their application that is lacking that they need to compensate for.

There's no point in worry about other people, just worry about the things you can control. As others have said, there's still plenty of time, some programs don't offer interviews until all data is complete.

Psai and abolt18 like this.
  39. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    My guess is that most people don't go on 22 interviews, but participating in the couple's match would probably be a good reason to do it.

40. jthedestroyr

jthedestroyr ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2013
    South
    my program doesnt invite ANYONE only home students (all get interviews) and away rotators that scored interviews until deans letter. we normally have 5-10 each year from home want to do anesthesia.

hopefully that makes some of you feel better.

41. Precedexed Out

Aug 27, 2017
    I have heard the exact same thing about several programs as well.

42. ToKingdomCome

ToKingdomCome 2+ Year Member

Dec 25, 2012
    It’s time to start worrying?

43. justAstudent

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    Sigh...still nothing here. I've been worrying

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

44. InGen

InGen 2+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2013
    don't worry, you're not alone
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Drangue and ZzzPlz like this.
  45. flightnurse2MD

flightnurse2MD ASA Member and Officer Bronze Donor 2+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Southwest
    October 15th deadline? According to ERAS Timeline, it's October 1st.

abolt18 and Teeny91 like this.
  46. jonnythan

Jan 26, 2012
    Letters can be sent Oct 1. Deadline Oct 15.

Teeny91 and flightnurse2MD like this.
  47. moisne

moisne 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2014
    well damn.. my MSPE won't be helping me much TT____TT

48. SD3321

SD3321 5+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2012
    So is not sending out rejection letters a thing in Anesthesia? Seems like all my friends in other fields get one while I'm stuck in limbo basically.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    ToKingdomCome likes this.
  49. dr.doe

dr.doe

Oct 12, 2017
    Has MGH or Brigham and Women's Hospital sent out invitations yet?....just wondering....

50. Chip N Sawbones

Jan 19, 2011
    Below sea level
    I got two. If you want them that badly I guess I could trade them for one of your interviews.

moisne likes this.
  51. parcus

parcus

Aug 3, 2016
    I got only one so far, so I think receiving silent rejections is the rule. I applied to many programs and I bet many have already silently declined my application since I am a FMG.

Anyways better to get a silent rejection than a rejection followed by an email saying CORRECTED!!!!!!!!!! ........ the date in the email is wrong, btw it is still a rejection (thanks Columbia!).