2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I seemed to have stalled. Been at 7 interviews since Oct 5th.

Members don't see this ad.

I seemed to have stalled. Been at 7 interviews since Oct 5th.

Been stalled for a while too, so I looked through threads from previous years. It seems like it would be reasonable for some applicants to expect around 3 more invites moving forward. As an average (maybe slightly above) applicant, I'm pretty optimistic I can get two more.

just uploaded my step 2. Should we be updating our programs with a phone call or an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi peeps,
Can anyone let me know how many elective rotations in Anesthesiology would be good enough to apply for Anesthesiology residency?
Also how important is research in Anesthesiology for match?
Good Luck for IVs.

Hi peeps,
Can anyone let me know how many elective rotations in Anesthesiology would be good enough to apply for Anesthesiology residency?
Good Luck for IVs.
Not very, except maybe at top programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure just one rotation would suffice?
Research I may agree with you. But just one rotation?? Are you sure?

Most of my colleagues are getting lots of interviews with no away rotations. I got about 10 so far with one away in chronic pain in addition to the core rotation. I interviewed with several people who only did one. My home program director said away rotations are definitely not required.

Reactions: 1 users

With a username like that I’m surprised you are interested! Maybe throw another couple specialties in there.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone sent letters to programs in hopes of getting an interview invite? If so, how did you word it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i just sent one a couple days ago after connecting with my #1 at conference (ie putting my name on the list, chatting with residents)...

went something like: "hello, please sir, ive done reasonably well. please let me in"

Could this be because you guys don't have posted Step 2 scores? They're one of the weird programs that require Step 2 scores for interviews (per AMA frieda)

eh, idk. i got insta-waked too but im not sure the app deadline has even arrived yet.

i think if you didnt have a step 2 score by their posted deadline, they could shoot you down right away but before then has gotta be user error...lol

Are you asking how many away rotations? Or how many total anesthesia rotations? I personally did like 4 months of anesthesia, but that was out of personal preference. Only 1 of those was an "away" rotation. Away rotations are definitely not necessary.

Hi peeps,
Good Luck for IVs.

FWIW

I did 4 and was fortunate to receive interview invites from all 4. I'm a DO and not the most competitive applicant, so I thought it was worth it. I'm thankful that I did. It get tough after three tho...

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking how many away rotations? Or how many total anesthesia rotations? I personally did like 4 months of anesthesia, but that was out of personal preference. Only 1 of those was an "away" rotation. Away rotations are definitely not necessary.
What was the timeline of those 4? How many 3rd year and if/when during 4th year?

This season seems more competitive than was described by others in previous years. I will be interesting to see the numbers after match is over to gauge if the season was really more competitive. I suppose it could seem more competitive if applicants are on average applying to more places than in years past.

This season seems more competitive than was described by others in previous years. I will be interesting to see the numbers after match is over to gauge if the season was really more competitive. I suppose it could seem more competitive if applicants are on average applying to more places than in years past.

Agree with this. My school keeps decent records of our applicants to various specialties, stats, etc. Based on previous years, our more average anesthesia applicants have been getting fewer invites. It could also be that there is a larger pool of "better" applicants that are attending more interviews.

Most of my colleagues are getting lots of interviews with no away rotations. I got about 10 so far with one away in chronic pain in addition to the core rotation. I interviewed with several people who only did one. My home program director said away rotations are definitely not required.

Not required but helps out a ton for the non-competitive but with a great personality applicant who wants
to match there...

If you don’t mind me asking, how many interviews do you have? I only have 3 right now. I’m so worried. Bot quite sure what’s wrong with my app.

did you get faculty at your school to review it for you? we were offered this option...seems like it wouldnt hurt to ask someone willing to dissect your stuff for you so that when you actually GO on the interviews you do get, youll know how to address "weak" spots(?)

If you don’t mind me asking, how many interviews do you have? I only have 3 right now. I’m so worried. Bot quite sure what’s wrong with my app.

I got 5 anesthesia invites, but literally applied to every program I was eligible for, last invite I got was 2 weeks ago ( I’m a FMG with 255+,260+, US LORs, recent graduate).

We always sent a significant last wave of interviews around Christmas as people start to cancel their interviews towards the end of the season. Don’t fret.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be interested to see charting data for anesthesia this year- I am surprised at how poorly some of the candidates I know of are doing who look pretty good on paper. Still early, but I don't remember seeing this in years past.

I'll be interested to see charting data for anesthesia this year- I am surprised at how poorly some of the candidates I know of are doing who look pretty good on paper. Still early, but I don't remember seeing this in years past.

Yep, the struggle is real.

upload_2017-10-30_21-15-14.jpeg

Got an email from a program stating all their interview slots are full and they won't be sending out any more invites unless there are some openings. Does this translate to a waitlist or rejection?

Got an email from a program stating all their interview slots are full and they won't be sending out any more invites unless there are some openings. Does this translate to a waitlist or rejection?

I’d say that’s somewhere in between. Closer to rejection than waitlist imo.

They sent out a mass rejection to people who had got interviews as well. Don't buy it yet.

did NOT know post-interview pre-match day rejections were a thing! i figured if they didnt want you after an interviews then you just werent ranked, not e-rejected! :yeahright:

as an aside, ive seen that prelim invites are also starting to pick up some, if you guys are checkin for those (with my cautionary n=1 data).

did NOT know post-interview pre-match day rejections were a thing! i figured if they didnt want you after an interviews then you just werent ranked, not e-rejected! :yeahright:

as an aside, ive seen that prelim invites are also starting to pick up some, if you guys are checkin for those (with my cautionary n=1 data).
I guess this can be seen as a positive — the applicants can then keep or add an extra interview for their rank list?

Are post-interview prematch rejections common?

should i wear an costume to tonight's pre interview dinner. i don't want to be the only person without one

Reactions: 3 users
Are post-interview prematch rejections common?

ive not seen that to be the case but based on one of the comments above, i imagine the programs can do whatever they wish. like @TheOther mentioned, i guess it could work to the advantage of the rejectee to know sooner rather than later...especially before RL time.

my game plan is to just open my envelope in march all cool-like, smoothly match at my #1 and assume everybody else thought i was the best applicant in the history of all things but the match just “worked in my favor”

...please hold all lols (lol)

Hi SDN friends, withdrawing from my interviews at Cornell, Loyola, Ukansas, and Ohio State today! Wanted ya'll to have a heads up. Best of luck out there y'all!

So, a little worried about the advanced position possibility. I have one prelim medicine interview. What's the general route for this? Obvi I hope i just match categorical. Worst case scenario, do I add more programs or do I plan to SOAP?

Got a few more invites since I last posted. I am now up to 5 interviews. Not feeling great about all this. I sent out some LOI a few days ago and hope to hear back soon. Any advice or suggestions? Getting pretty worried now.

Got a few more invites since I last posted. I am now up to 5 interviews. Not feeling great about all this. I sent out some LOI a few days ago and hope to hear back soon. Any advice or suggestions? Getting pretty worried now.

Best of luck. My initial thoughts are to really focus on those 5 interviews. A lot of this seems out of our control. So, we have to make the best of what we have. I hope you hear back from those schools you sent LOIs to and that someone smarter than me can provide you with better advice on this.

Best of luck. My initial thoughts are to really focus on those 5 interviews. A lot of this seems out of our control. So, we have to make the best of what we have. I hope you hear back from those schools you sent LOIs to and that someone smarter than me can provide you with better advice on this.

Thank you. I already interviewed at two of them and think I did well (seemed like interviewers liked me but who knows). Hopefully a few more interviews come my way. Best of luck to you also.

So, a little worried about the advanced position possibility. I have one prelim medicine interview. What's the general route for this? Obvi I hope i just match categorical. Worst case scenario, do I add more programs or do I plan to SOAP?

in addition to adding programs/soap, if nothing else shakes for you, you could start at the prelim program and re-enter the match in the fall. i believe if you match advanced without a prelim, the advanced program can drop you...but not the other way around.

Where are all the DO students at? Also, where is the spreadsheet that had everybody's STEP scores and interview numbers at? Can't seem to find it! Good luck!

Where are all the DO students at? Also, where is the spreadsheet that had everybody's STEP scores and interview numbers at? Can't seem to find it! Good luck!

See 1st page. Ur welcome.

I'm in this application cycle too, so I really can't offer advice since this is all new to me as well. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? How many programs did you apply? How many interviews do you have? Have you had success with sending out LOI? Are you DO or MD? Good luck, mate