2017-2018 SUNY - Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Stoked! This will be my first one. ORM, OOS, 3.8, 510.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the lowest ranked SUNY, yet I have yet to get an interview from here while getting interviews from another SUNY... do SUNY's communicate with each other?
Getting an II at one SUNY doesnt mean you going to get II's at all of them. Every school is different, and just "being the lowest ranked SUNY" doesnt mean they will throw you an II at you so chillax!

dude 58 MD primaries. I commend you, thats some A1 effort.

When your parents come to the land of opportunity with nothing but the clothes on their back, they raise you to take advantage of every single opportunity you are given. That's what I did. No missed opportunities.

....but it did suck a lot. Lol.

This is the lowest ranked SUNY, yet I have yet to get an interview from here while getting interviews from another SUNY... do SUNY's communicate with each other?
Didn't know Buffalo was lowest ranked? I have heard that Buffalo is a better school than stony brook and Upstate.

This might be a random question, but does anyone know if UB sends out IIs on specific days? Thanks in advance!

Also, congrats to everyone who are interviewing! :)

Reactions: 1 user
From those interviewed- accepted is about 50% ??

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI it isn't the lowest SUNY. Both SUNY Buffalo(#67) and SUNY Stony Brook (#59) are the only ranked state medical schools of New York, as per U.S. News and World Report.
For other opinion based reasons, I can see why people would say UB is the lowest ranked, but not imo!

FYI it isn't the lowest SUNY. Both SUNY Buffalo(#67) and SUNY Stony Brook (#59) are the only ranked state medical schools of New York, as per U.S. News and World Report.
For other opinion based reasons, I can see why people would say UB is the lowest ranked, but not imo!
I think people get confused because SUNY Buffalo accepts the most IS in NY (80 sum percent of their class), but like you said it's not even close to being the lowest ranked. Lots of IS does not equate low ranking.

never understood the hype around rankings from some third party company
Meh, its the only metric we can easily cite. There's tons of discussions on what school is better, but I think that's really something students can feel out during interview day. A friend of mine got into a super elite top tier (top 10) and opted to go with another school (lower ranked) because he said the higher ranked school was initially his top choice, but hated interview day, faculty seemed unresponsive, and the med students, to quote him, "looked like they wanna jump in a pit of fire cause it's hell there"

I think people get confused because SUNY Buffalo accepts the most IS in NY (80 sum percent of their class), but like you said it's not even close to being the lowest ranked. Lots of IS does not equate low ranking.
I'm actually kind of happy to see the 80% IS rate - I do think the NY state schools could be a bit more generous with us in-staters...most of the other sunys have a large amount of students (still less than 50%) from OOS.

SUNY no love me. Me sad lol SUNY I love you :D
Its a random review process; who knows when UB will get to your application, but hey, when they do, hopefully they'll be calling you for an interview :)

Do you know if they will flat out reject you when they review your app?
No idea, that information is guarded by the admissions committee. Last year's thread states the first pre-interview reject notification went out on December 6, 2016, but there may have been more at an earlier date just not posted to SDN.

I have a few friends that go here, they say that its the place people go if they don't get into anywhere else or if people want to save money (state school). I may be wrong, and my n=5, but that seems to be the case upon what I've read on SDN...

I have a few friends that go here, they say that its the place people go if they don't get into anywhere else or if people want to save money (state school). I may be wrong, and my n=5, but that seems to be the case upon what I've read on SDN...
Did you apply here? If so, why did you?

Did you apply here? If so, why did you?
Med school > than no med school. I want to be a doctor, I'm willing to go anywhere that in the US and accredited. Like most people on here.

That's entirely possible. For me personally though, UB is my top choice of medical schools. I do have some friends that attended/currently at UB med school, and what you said is correct, its mostly students from the WL with zero other acceptances, or state tuition is a huge draw. Meh, who knows. UB, wanna show me some love with an II?

Currently a 4th year here.

People have different priorities when they apply for med schools, so UB might be the great choice for some people but perhaps not for others. I would try to look for specific things that you want in your medical program, because even if you just want prestige and nothing else, there are still many programs that fit the criteria and you probably want something else to say when they ask you why our program.

After meeting with my classmates here for several years, I can tell you that they would have been just as productive and competitive if they went to other med schools. So if you want to be competitive here, you definitely can.

Currently a 4th year here.

People have different priorities when they apply for med schools, so UB might be the great choice for some people but perhaps not for others. I would try to look for specific things that you want in your medical program, because even if you just want prestige and nothing else, there are still many programs that fit the criteria and you probably want something else to say when they ask you why our program.

After meeting with my classmates here for several years, I can tell you that they would have been just as productive and competitive if they went to other med schools. So if you want to be competitive here, you definitely can.
I completely agree with you on that, I'm just saying what the reality of UB is. I know its a great school with awesome opportunities, but its not one that many people want to go to if you are being realistic. I think the fact that its people's last choice if it wasn't for the money its mainly due to its location to be honest.

Anybody have any info regarding when they plan to release decisions? At my interview Mr. Rosso hinted that they might update the status checker a little early since Oct. 15 is a Sunday.

Anybody have any info regarding when they plan to release decisions? At my interview Mr. Rosso hinted that they might update the status checker a little early since Oct. 15 is a Sunday.
I interviewed 2 weeks ago and Mr. Rosso hinted that we would hear by Friday the 13th.. Needless to say, this has been the slowest week ever.

So...who thinks we're going to find out today?!?!?!?! (if we interviewed early enough)

Reactions: 1 users
So...who thinks we're going to find out today?!?!?!?! (if we interviewed early enough)

I think we will hear back today. Trying not to get my hopes up tho

Reactions: 1 users
why do y'all think we'll hear back today
Because at my interview, it was eluded too and other people have said the same thing. Decisions were also released early last year since October 15 landed on a saturday last year. They wait until 4:30-5:00pmish though so the admissions office is closed and we can't bombard them with questions

Because at my interview, it was eluded too and other people have said the same thing. Decisions were also released early last year since October 15 landed on a saturday last year. They wait until 4:30-5:00pmish though so the admissions office is closed and we can't bombard them with questions

i thought that was because he accidentally released them early last year; not on purpose... anyways, hope they release it early again lol

i thought that was because he accidentally released them early last year; not on purpose... anyways, hope they release it early again lol

At my interview he also said they might "accidentally" release decisions early again this year. Pretty sure it was a hint

wl too.... sad

do they only pull you from wl after may?

also waitlist... I think they usually wait till May for the waitlist, yeah

Not accepted. Wondering if it is because the interview