2017-2018 University of Nevada - Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t believe UNLV is without fault- both before and after my acceptance I have been in a position where the process did not follow the projected schedule. While that is frustrating and I voiced my frustrations to family and friends, every email, phone call, and conversation I have had with UNLV staff has received prompt attention. I just don’t believe that waiting for a decision is reason enough to not apply somewhere. There are much more important factors to consider when choosing where to apply. I’ve never said they did the admissions process perfectly, just that they deserve a little more slack than what you’re giving them.

Unlv should not get slack when they are not even close to their intended notification dates. Now that might be easy for you to say bc you got in! I am criticizing Unlv for the sake of next years applicants. Unlv is not going to suffer from less of an applicant pool based on anything I say. I do not expect my criticism to make any impact on the number of application Unlv gets. However, applicants next year need to know more about the potential specifics that they could encounter. Stop trying to belittle my observations that are pretty much plain facts. It is not professional to be two months off on decisions. I don’t care if you are a new school or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I loved the second look and the faculty’s commitment to making this school the best it can be. It was a hard decision but other offers are too hard to pass up, so I’ll be withdrawing in the next few days. Hope the spot and scholarship goes to one of you on the wait list!

P.S. Dr. Parrish was super nice and funny at second look, and I don’t think the criticism against him is fair. They probably have their reasons for not finalizing a decision - good luck to those waiting!
I loved the second look and the faculty’s commitment to making this school the best it can be. It was a hard decision but other offers are too hard to pass up, so I’ll be withdrawing in the next few days. Hope the spot and scholarship goes to one of you on the wait list!

P.S. Dr. Parrish was super nice and funny at second look, and I don’t think the criticism against him is fair. They probably have their reasons for not finalizing a decision - good luck to those waiting!

Well, if Parrish felt there would be a delay, then he should have told ppl that or not put out that all decisions are made in March. I too thought Parrish was a nice guy but prompt is not anything that describes his staff.

Well, if Parrish felt there would be a delay, then he should have told people that or not put out that all decisions are made in March. I too thought Parrish was a nice guy but prompt is not anything that describes his staff.

Don't do that. It's so unprofessional and impolite. You don't know how much pressure and stress Dr. Parrish is under with the helping create a new medical school for a town that desperately needs physicians to serve it's community. Fine, he is a late with decisions but that's not necessarily on him as it on people like me with multiple acceptance. Put the blame on me, but leave Dr. Parrish out of it. He's working his tail off trying to find scholarship money for all the students. We're talking full ride scholarships. He's constantly contacting donors asking for money and finding ways to improve student life for current and future students.

If you want to attack or criticize anyone for the delay in response, take it out on me. I have been delaying my response which is why it is taking a while for decisions on unlv to come out. Leave Dr. Parrish out of this. He has done nothing but try to help create a innovative school that rewards students for taking a leap of faith with an entirely new and unique curriculum.

You can be mad and pissed all you want at me, leave Dr. P out of it. Please, I beg you. The last thing he needs is to stress and worry about this.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He even told us to make our decision quickly so individuals on the wait list could hear back quickly. He knows how painful it is to wait. He said he himself was on the wait list, I believe. He's working as fast as he can, that I can assure you. A few of us have withdrawn, you'll hear back shortly. I hope this will give you some closure and relief. Applying to med school is a tough challenge, don't get beaten by it. Keep at it and well see you on the other side as a fellow physician working alongside one another!

Personal story: I've been beaten by the entire applying to med school process. It's brutal, but keep at it and you'll get it. I don't think there's an applicant that is as weak or as bad as I was. Don't let this small issue make you upset. Keep your head up, think positive, and work towards your goal. If you need any help… ask us! More than willing to help. =)

Reactions: 1 users
My concern with all this, is that I don’t even know if I’m on a waitlist or not. Should I contact the school again (last I did was in March) or should I just keep waiting? Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

My concern with all this, is that I don’t even know if I’m on a waitlist or not. Should I contact the school again (last I did was in March) or should I just keep waiting? Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!
Yeah I haven't heard anything back at all!

I would pray you're wait listed.

Wait listed or not, you should be preparing for the upcoming year. If you're accepted elsewhere, plan accordingly. If you have to reapply, I would look into what you can do to strengthen your application or what you could do to improve your application.

I’m guessing there will be movement in these next few days post-second look, and as more scholarship information is released there will again be a wave of movement. And of course, after May 1st. Dr. Parrish made it very clear he won’t stand for multiple acceptances after that date, and would strongly prefer for people to make a decision before then. He spoke of how much he enjoys calling people to notify them of their admissions, and that he expects to be making more phone calls in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem here is this: people who get in
Don't do that. It's so unprofessional and impolite. You don't know how much pressure and stress Dr. Parrish is under with the helping create a new medical school for a town that desperately needs physicians to serve it's community. Fine, he is a late with decisions but that's not necessarily on him as it on people like me with multiple acceptance. Put the blame on me, but leave Dr. Parrish out of it. He's working his tail off trying to find scholarship money for all the students. We're talking full ride scholarships. He's constantly contacting donors asking for money and finding ways to improve student life for current and future students.

If you want to attack or criticize anyone for the delay in response, take it out on me. I have been delaying my response which is why it is taking a while for decisions on unlv to come out. Leave Dr. Parrish out of this. He has done nothing but try to help create a innovative school that rewards students for taking a leap of faith with an entirely new and unique curriculum.

You can be mad and pissed all you want at me, leave Dr. P out of it. Please, I beg you. The last thing he needs is to stress and worry about this.

I am sorry that you take it so personally. I am going to stick to the facts.

1.Admissions announced on their website that decisions would be made by the 2nd.....of March. If they want to wait before they are waitlisting people, a responsible admission's staff would tell somebody that that is the case. Leaving someone hanging is not responsible.
Trying to calling to me unprofessional and impolite. I turn that right around and say that an admission's staff that doesn't communicate appropriately to its applicants is just that: unprofessional and impolite. In a work environment or even an undergrad environment, if something was not done by a deadline, and the professor/employer said, "You are not prompt", doesn't make that employer/professor impolite or unprofessional for pointing that out. On the other hand, if the UNLV admission cares only about the students it wants for admission, this is what you would expect: Not bothering to update applicants who are in the dark.
2.Since Dr. Parrish is the face of admissions, then I will not leave Dr. Parrish out of this.
3.You got in, so of course you are going to take the stance you did. If you really wanted to write that kind of post you could have private messaged me but you did it publicly bc you want other posters to see your belittlement of what I say. You want to be the authority talking down to me like my opinion doesn't matter.
4.I have never made this kind of criticism of another school bc good or bad, they announce their decision when they say they are supposed. They are true to their word. It shouldn't matter if you are new or not.
5.The posters who think its "unfair" to hold UNLV accountable are people who got in and got their acceptance call. You all don't look at it from the other point of view.
At any rate, I don't think what I will say will have an effect on UNLV's applicant pool. Parrish knows that he has plenty of people who want to go to UNLV so if he displeases people its not his concern. He only cares about the people who he wants in, but could care less about the people he doesn't.

I would pray you're wait listed.

Wait listed or not, you should be preparing for the upcoming year. If you're accepted elsewhere, plan accordingly. If you have to reapply, I would look into what you can do to strengthen your application or what you could do to improve your application.

Well if you didn't know if you were waitlisted or denied, you couldn't even get feedback from UNLV to see what the admission committee had problems with...which is more important than speculating what went wrong in the application.

I am not buying the, "they are waiting to waitlist theory". Other schools have a very long waitlist. They most certainly won't get through it, but they put it out in advance in the event situations like this happen. Like dapperdoc said, much less than 50% of the waitlists last year got in off waitlist. However, if there is more than that this year, they would have created a lengthy waitlist to be prepared for the massive amount of people who may decide not to uphold their unlv acceptance.

Last edited:
I am not buying the, "they are waiting to waitlist theory". Other schools have a very long waitlist. They most certainly won't get through it, but they put it out in advance in the event situations like this happen. Like dapperdoc said, much less than 50% of the waitlists last year got in off waitlist. However, if there is more than that this year, they would have created a lengthy waitlist to be prepared for the massive amount of people who may decide not to uphold their unlv acceptance.

Here’s the thing- no one is saying you have no right to feel frustrated. I just don’t believe your current expression of your frustration has any benefits, and in fact, it may harm you because UNLV admins go on this page. For goodness sake, don’t let this website be the reason you’re not accepted (I really hope your real name is not any derivative of jimmy). Write UNLV an email with your concerns from the cycle this year, they are incredibly receptive to constructive criticism. And to say Dr. Parrish only cares about admitted applicants is simply false.

In regards to the waitlist, because it is their second year doing admissions, and their first year without guaranteed scholarships for all students, they probably aren’t sure how long of a waitlist to have. As I said earlier, I’d rather be placed on a waitlist where there is a probable chance of being admitted than one where it’s essentially a consolation prize.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied this year, I really wish last year's applicants expressed their feelings. I didn't know what to make of an interview that did not really address my strengths/weaknesses of application. I did not know what to expect in terms of timeline. When someone reads this blog, they can be wary if everything being told my admissions is true. Again, I repeat, they announce all decisions go about by March 2nd. If that was postponed, I would hope there is some follow-up email expressing why the delay. If Parrish did care about applicants, he wouldn't leave them hanging without the slightest bit of communication. It feels like their attitude is, "They need us more than we need them. We can do what we please." All schools are like that to some extent, but at least other schools follow deadlines. If schools don't follow deadlines, they should communicate delays. At this point, I am not sure I really want to attend this school.

I don't think they are going to take everyone off the waitlist. So the consolation prize thing I can't agree with. The first may be true, but why can't the school communicate that.

Any waaaaaays....
For those who have not heard anything yet, I emailed admissions mid-April and was told that I am among a “small number of applicants still under review for a possible alternate position.” I am taking this as either a soft rejection or possible bottom tier waitlist lol

As frustrating as it may be, I am grateful to at least not be outright rejected and I can understand the admission’s difficulty choosing from such competitive applicants.

Reactions: 5 users
The problem here is this: people who get in

I am sorry that you take it so personally. I am going to stick to the facts.

1.Admissions announced on their website that decisions would be made by the 2nd.....of March. If they want to wait before they are waitlisting people, a responsible admission's staff would tell somebody that that is the case. Leaving someone hanging is not responsible.
Trying to calling to me unprofessional and impolite. I turn that right around and say that an admission's staff that doesn't communicate appropriately to its applicants is just that: unprofessional and impolite. In a work environment or even an undergrad environment, if something was not done by a deadline, and the professor/employer said, "You are not prompt", doesn't make that employer/professor impolite or unprofessional for pointing that out. On the other hand, if the UNLV admission cares only about the students it wants for admission, this is what you would expect: Not bothering to update applicants who are in the dark.
2.Since Dr. Parrish is the face of admissions, then I will not leave Dr. Parrish out of this.
3.You got in, so of course you are going to take the stance you did. If you really wanted to write that kind of post you could have private messaged me but you did it publicly bc you want other posters to see your belittlement of what I say. You want to be the authority talking down to me like my opinion doesn't matter.
4.I have never made this kind of criticism of another school bc good or bad, they announce their decision when they say they are supposed. They are true to their word. It shouldn't matter if you are new or not.
5.The posters who think its "unfair" to hold UNLV accountable are people who got in and got their acceptance call. You all don't look at it from the other point of view.
At any rate, I don't think what I will say will have an effect on UNLV's applicant pool. Parrish knows that he has plenty of people who want to go to UNLV so if he displeases people its not his concern. He only cares about the people who he wants in, but could care less about the people he doesn't.

Please post on SDN if you do in fact get in so that I can rescind my acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Good one Vegaaaaas. A classy individual you truly are............

Last edited:
Please post on SDN if you do in fact get in so that I can rescind my acceptance.

If I was donor, I would very pleased to know I am sponsoring a very modest individual like yourself and the classy people who like your kind of posts.

To break up all the negativity recently on here...

It was really great to meet all of the accepted folks at second look! It makes me excited to see the new class this summer. I am happy that our admissions process can select such talented, intelligent, and well-adjusted individuals whom I can proudly call my colleagues.

To those on the waitlist and those who are not, I wish the very best of luck and I hope you find an acceptance somewhere or at our program next year. I was a re-applicant and it was very hard doing this a second time. My sibling was twice a re-applicant, and was not easy for her either. But in the end, we both can say that we are glad that we did not give up.

Reactions: 11 users
If I was donor, I would very pleased to know I am sponsoring a very modest individual like yourself and the classy people who like your kind of posts.

If I were a donor, I would be very pleased to know I am not sponsoring someone who talks negatively about current MS1’s, the dean of admissions, and everyone else that is working their asses off to build a successful medical school in a community that drastically needs one.

If I were a donor, I would be very pleased to know I am not sponsoring someone who talks negatively about current MS1’s, the dean of admissions, and everyone else that is working their asses off to build a successful medical school in a community that drastically needs one.
Which current ms1? In fact based on what I am reading there actually are decent, modest ppl who are got in/are going to Unlv. Even the ppl that I argue with are more decent than you. I think you are something totally different.

Which current ms1? In fact based on what I am reading there actually are decent, modest ppl who are got in/are going to Unlv. Even the ppl that I argue with are more decent than you. I think you are something totally different.

Attachments

• 153DDEFB-5D4C-4954-B1C6-18A756C6A988.png
    153DDEFB-5D4C-4954-B1C6-18A756C6A988.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 112

I don't flat out say I don't want to be their classmates. I target actions. You target people. That's the difference.

I never say things like, Parrish should not be dean. Such and such person should not be admitted to unlv. That is your lingo.

I never say things like, Parrish should not be dean. Such and such person should not be admitted to unlv. That is your lingo.

"Unlv, you as a school have a horrible admission process and it’s not professional. Good riddance to this school." - jimmy36

"If Parrish did care about applicants, he wouldn't leave them hanging without the slightest bit of communication." -jimmy36

"I am not sure how the funding controversy is going to play out, but apparently even the Dean is facing some heat and a lot of faculty might leave. I think this school was a poor choice to interview at, and I think Diggins and Parrish were pretty much full of it." -jimmy36

"And for the record, most every other admission process in this cycle was better than UNLV's. I did not express any problems with them, because they had their ACT TOGETHER." -jimmy36

Just because you did not literally say Parrish shouldn't be dean doesn't excuse you for being blatantly disrespectful to the hundreds of people who have worked their asses off to make the medical school a reality while you hide your criticisms with anonymity. I understand you are frustrated with the process but that doesn't excuse you from projecting your anger onto anyone else. We all went through the same process.

I am just stating the facts. Unlv wasn’t on time or particularly truthful with any of what they said. Parrish is the face of admissions so it’s on him. It’s that simple.

I have a right to say that. I express things publicly so ppl next year know what they are getting into. Nothing I say is going to affect the number of applicants. But applicants deserve to know the truth, and there will ppl next year who will be in this exact same situation.

You are worse than ppl on those forum bc you try to squash free opinion. What the heck are you talking about? You probably heard within a few weeks that you got accepted. It’s been four months for the ones who haven’t heard. We were told otherwise and that is the problem with Parrish and his admission committee. You get mad me for expressing what I want but you do the same thing directly at me. It’s free speech dude.

So how bout them golden knights?

Reactions: 8 users
Hello all!

I am a current MS1 at UNLV School of Medicine. I have enjoyed my experience with the school and am currently in the process of finishing up my last month and half of first year (crazy how quickly time flies). Now that I have some experience under my belt, I feel better about answering questions about my experiences here.

I am a Nevada resident and went to UNR for undergrad. I interviewed at multiple programs and decided on UNLV after second look last year. I do not regret my decision coming here as the faculty and students have become my family. I am very appreciative for this school as I saw my sister go through medical school. She struggled a lot. And what I learned from her experience is that it is important to go to a school that treats you as a person first and student second. I have found a place that I call home and am feeling that medical school is a lot more manageable than I thought (thanks to an environment that is supportive and prioritizes wellness).

Anyway, congrats to those who got in here or elsewhere! And also congrats to people who are on the waitlist. If you have to reapply, I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up. There are so many people that reapply multiple times. It's worth it if it's your dream. Not ideal (obviously), but some of the best classmates I know were reapplicants and I couldn't imagine them in any other field.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm torn between the Sharks and the Knights... Idk what to do!!
Gotta go with Knights!! I’ll be honest this is my first season following hockey so I’ve only ever been a Knights fan haha

Finally rejected. You know, I'm not even mad, just relieved that I can finally close this chapter.

So how bout them golden knights?

No Raiders fans? Vegas gonna be a football town soon with Coach Jon Gruden. He might be buying a house near where my parents live. Might get his autograph.

Finally rejected. You know, I'm not even mad, just relieved that I can finally close this chapter.

I am not liking the rejection part. I am liking that you were open enough to tell the forum even tho surely it was disappointing. This information will be helpful for the undecided ppl in this pool as well as those who want to understand the process next year. We will know what to expect in the upcoming days, and next year's pool can get a feel for the timeline of decisions.

Last edited:
Jimmy, you have been officially warned for continued intent to inflame. I strongly suggest you to leave this thread, otherwise if you continue down this road, you may find yourself without a usable SDN account.

Reactions: 7 users
I am not liking the rejection part. I am liking that you were open enough to tell the forum even tho surely it was disappointing. This information will be helpful for the undecided ppl in this pool as well as those who want to understand the process next year. We will know what to expect in the upcoming days, and next year's pool can get a feel for the timeline of decisions.

I owe a deep apology to dapperdoc. I spoke to the moderator and he said that what set off the warning was the fact that he thinks that I am saying that I am happy you got rejected. Dapperdoc, I am not glad or happy in any way that you got rejected. I am saying this publicly because the moderator told me that he thinks I was conveying that to you. I repeat, I do not wish that sort of thing on you. I am on good terms with the moderator at the present moment.

Last edited:
Hoping for a lot of waitlist movement in the next few days and weeks coming. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I still haven’t heard anything. Do they have any idea on a deadline to hear?

I’m in the same boat as you still.

I had the weirdest thing happen. They sent me an email saying that I wasn't able to receive a secondary. So I sent them an email back stating that I was actually waiting to hear back from my interview. She was super nice and said it was probably an IT glitch and that I should be receiving a denial letter soon (which I have yet to receive.) So I'm guessing they had something up with their system and should probably be sending out letters soon!

If you check your application portal there is a decision letter link for anyone who has not heard back yet. That is where I found my rejection and opportunity to get feedback from them.

Got an email and portal update with my rejection letter. Welp, it’s been fun. Good luck everyone still waitlisted!

anyone else have the feedback call already?
i did and it was lame