You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 University of Toledo
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
As always, recent grad here for any guidance I can provide.
As always, recent grad here for any guidance I can provide.
How did you like your experience at the University of Toledo?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They do a really good job with the preclinical curriculum. Very supportive. Previously I would've said the size of UTMC hurt clinical rotations a little, but Toledo Hospital and Promedica changed that. I never did any of the new rotations there so I can't say 100%, but people like Toledo Hospital. Either way they brought a dump truck of money with them and that's never a bad thing.How did you like your experience at the University of Toledo?
I'm kind of hijacking this thread, but it seems that not many applicants have posted in it yet...
I'm an incoming M1 this Fall. The new curriculum looks like it's supposed to be better than the previous, but what do M2/3/4 students think? Would they have rather had the new curriculum that we will have, or are you glad that you got out of it?
Ultimately, I don't have a choice haha, I'd just like to know.
I'm an incoming M1 this Fall. The new curriculum looks like it's supposed to be better than the previous, but what do M2/3/4 students think? Would they have rather had the new curriculum that we will have, or are you glad that you got out of it?
Ultimately, I don't have a choice haha, I'd just like to know.
8
814965
How are applicants screened pre-secondary?
Likely a GPA/MCAT thresholdHow are applicants screened pre-secondary?
Will people post in here if they get a secondary please? Have any gone out yet?
Secondaries are out!
Prompts:
Briefly describe why you wish to attend medical school at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences. As part of this essay, please discuss, if applicable, any personal connection you may have to The University of Toledo, the UT College of Medicine and Life Sciences/former Medical College of Ohio, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio. (300 words)
Discuss any important aspects of your personal background, identity, or educational journey that you feel would give the Admissions Committee greater insight into your medical school application. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation to pursue a career in medicine. Examples might include: challenges you’ve overcome in accessing education; identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity; unique pathways to medical school application via professional employment, military service, family caregiving, and other circumstances. (700 words)
One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence: "Demonstrates knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors ; shows an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity; recognizes and acts on the obligation to inform one's own judgment; engages diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work; recognizes and appropriately addresses bias in themselves and others; interacts effectively with people from diverse backgrounds." Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your cultural competence. (700 words) @gyngyn @WedgeDawg
Prompts:
Briefly describe why you wish to attend medical school at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences. As part of this essay, please discuss, if applicable, any personal connection you may have to The University of Toledo, the UT College of Medicine and Life Sciences/former Medical College of Ohio, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio. (300 words)
Discuss any important aspects of your personal background, identity, or educational journey that you feel would give the Admissions Committee greater insight into your medical school application. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation to pursue a career in medicine. Examples might include: challenges you’ve overcome in accessing education; identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity; unique pathways to medical school application via professional employment, military service, family caregiving, and other circumstances. (700 words)
One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence: "Demonstrates knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors ; shows an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity; recognizes and acts on the obligation to inform one's own judgment; engages diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work; recognizes and appropriately addresses bias in themselves and others; interacts effectively with people from diverse backgrounds." Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your cultural competence. (700 words) @gyngyn @WedgeDawg
"Have you lived in Ohio from your birth to the current date?"
I was born and lived in Ohio but spent 3 years working overseas after graduation, so "no"?
"Have you lived in Ohio for the past 12 consecutive months?"
Sounds like this is for tuition purposes. I will have lived in Ohio for 12 months in August... Should I still say "no"?
I was born and lived in Ohio but spent 3 years working overseas after graduation, so "no"?
"Have you lived in Ohio for the past 12 consecutive months?"
Sounds like this is for tuition purposes. I will have lived in Ohio for 12 months in August... Should I still say "no"?
I would email the admissions team because you could argue either way for these."Have you lived in Ohio from your birth to the current date?"
I was born and lived in Ohio but spent 3 years working overseas after graduation, so "no"?
"Have you lived in Ohio for the past 12 consecutive months?"
Sounds like this is for tuition purposes. I will have lived in Ohio for 12 months in August... Should I still say "no"?
How low do you think "low Mcat score" is.....I dont want to draw any more attention to my low CARS score?
Woot! Just got the secondary today too 🙂
For
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary submitted here. Really hoping for good news from Toledo, one of my top choices.
Verified yesterday, received secondary today!
8
814965
How are you all approaching the question about cultural competence?
Didn't get the secondary yet (verified in June; 3.6cGPA, 508). Does anyone know there screening threshold?
No idea, but my stats are lower than yours and got a secondary less than 24 hours later after verification. Maybe they're sent out in batches? Maybe it's in your spam folder?
What acronym should i use for UT College of medicine and life sciences? I can't afford to type it out in my essay every time with a word limit. Thanks!
N=1, but I went with "I grew up in a multicultural community and it's never been a problem for me."How are you all approaching the question about cultural competence?
UTCOM is what I always used, but I've also seen UTCOMLS.What acronym should i use for UT College of medicine and life sciences? I can't afford to type it out in my essay every time with a word limit. Thanks!
Yes it is required (i assumed....), i didnt have any minority status to discuss or crazy challenges or nontraditional info, so i just shared about what makes me unique kindve like a diversity essayIs the second prompt required? At a loss for what to write.
8
814965
Copied and pasted a diversity essay.Is the second prompt required? At a loss for what to write.
Yes it is required (i assumed....), i didnt have any minority status to discuss or crazy challenges or nontraditional info, so i just shared about what makes me unique kindve like a diversity essay
I used my diversity essay for the cultural competency prompt. Guess I'll have to be more creative.
Last edited:
I took it as that, and described one whole experience of mine (that was a couple months long)Essay 3: "Discuss a specific experience from your life..."
Do they want us to limit our response to just a single event?
"Do you feel you have "red flags" in your academic record that may negatively impact your medical school application? Examples might include a poor grade, course withdrawal, below average MCAT scores."
I took the old MCAT back in 2012 and didn't do so well. I took it again (the new version) earlier this year after a 3 year gap and scored in the 97th percentile. Do you think my old score is a "red flag"?
I took the old MCAT back in 2012 and didn't do so well. I took it again (the new version) earlier this year after a 3 year gap and scored in the 97th percentile. Do you think my old score is a "red flag"?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if i were you i definitely wouldnt mention it!! You aced the most recent mcat and thats the one theyre gonna focus on...if they see you writing about an old mcat thats water under the bridge, dont bring it to their attention again"Do you feel you have "red flags" in your academic record that may negatively impact your medical school application? Examples might include a poor grade, course withdrawal, below average MCAT scores."
I took the old MCAT back in 2012 and didn't do so well. I took it again (the new version) earlier this year after a 3 year gap and scored in the 97th percentile. Do you think my old score is a "red flag"?
Is anyone getting close to the 700 word count? 
I'm just another applicant, but mine were only ~400 words each. I said what I wanted to say and tried not to fluff.Is anyone getting close to the 700 word count?![]()
What did people write for number 2? And how many words did you write?
Regarding the additional recommended coursework, did you add all of your classes that fit the criteria or just listed a few?
i listed all, couldnt hurt showing you took a wide breadth of classes!Regarding the additional recommended coursework, did you add all of your classes that fit the criteria or just listed a few?
When they say 'One year of Organic Chemistry with Labs' do they mean labs for both organic chemistry I and II? My institution does not offer organic chemistry lab II for non chemistry majors.....
Yeah I noticed that also. They say you can substitute biochem lab for it, though, I believe.When they say 'One year of Organic Chemistry with Labs' do they mean labs for both organic chemistry I and II? My institution does not offer organic chemistry lab II for non chemistry majors.....
Pretty crazy requirement since I don't think most schools have 2 semesters of Orgo lab...
Is the second question a diversity question in disguise? Or should it be taken in a different direction?
More clinical time is a very good thing.What do current students at toledo med think of the new curriculum?
Finished the secondary. Definitely the hardest and most personal secondary for me by far.
M1 here who has recently matriculated at UT COMLS. The new curriculum seems to be pretty beneficial to all involved.
There is more free time to watch lectures at home, and the times when you do have to go to lecture it is "active learning" so it's a bit more engaged. By the time you guys start, I think the small kinks here and there will be fully worked out. So far, I prefer it to a more traditional lecture-based curriculum. Plus, we start clinical experiences in January which is nice (instead of having to wait till M3).
There is more free time to watch lectures at home, and the times when you do have to go to lecture it is "active learning" so it's a bit more engaged. By the time you guys start, I think the small kinks here and there will be fully worked out. So far, I prefer it to a more traditional lecture-based curriculum. Plus, we start clinical experiences in January which is nice (instead of having to wait till M3).
I'm having trouble finding info on the "new curriculum" on the website.. is there a name to the curriculum I should be searching for?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II! Just got it like ten minutes ago
When were you complete? are in IS?II! Just got it like ten minutes ago
When were you complete? are in IS?
Yeah IS and complete on 8/7 I think
CONGRATS! Do you mind sharing your stats? I was complete 8/3, afraid I was passed over.Yeah IS and complete on 8/7 I think
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K