2017-2018 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two required essays. Prompts below. Both 500 word limit.

Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process.

The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont strongly values diversity. Larner COM recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities, and encompasses the entirety of an individual’s experiences. These experiences embody many dimensions that include (but are not limited to) the personal, familial, geographic, intellectual, economic, professional, linguistic, and societal domains. Thus, each and every member of the Larner COM community brings a unique perspective to a shared goal of training compassionate and competent physicians. With this in mind, please reflect on your own diverse experiences and how those will allow you to successfully participate in teams and engage in active learning with your peers at the Larner COM. When composing your response please consider how these experiences impacted your understanding of others and yourself as well as any new insights gained.
Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
To everyone applying here this cycle, remember, UVM now requires that you take the CASPer. Straight from their website, "Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admissions eligibility." Just a heads up!

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone applying here this cycle, remember, UVM now requires that you take the CASPer. Straight from their website, "Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admissions eligibility." Just a heads up!
It's just required prior to matriculation, correct?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering how many ppl are taking Casper at the end of june?

Also .... does anyone know how much weight UVM places on this test?

The MSAR states that the secondary application can be submitted on June 05, 2017. Has anyone received the secondary yet?

The MSAR states that the secondary application can be submitted on June 05, 2017. Has anyone received the secondary yet?

I saw that too. Their MSAR page deceives you. No schools receive any primary applications until they're transmitted on Friday, June 30th. Since that is the weekend before Independence Day, we probably won't be getting any secondary invitations until Wednesday July 5th at the earliest.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools send out secondaries in the last week of June, before receiving your primary.

Does anyone know if the UVM secondary questions will stay the same this year? UVM is my top choice so it would be nice to get a head start.

Just wondering how many ppl are taking Casper at the end of june?

Also .... does anyone know how much weight UVM places on this test?

Just took the test a few hours ago and feel that I completely bombed it. Do not underestimate it like I did. The sample test they have posted is NOT REPRESENTATIVE. The actual test is much more DIFFICULT. I ran out of time on 9 of the 12 sections and I'm a pretty fast typer. My fingers are exhausted. :( ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took the test a few hours ago and feel that I completely bombed it. Do not underestimate it like I did. The sample test they have posted is NOT REPRESENTATIVE. The actual test is much more DIFFICULT. I ran out of time on 9 of the 12 sections and I'm a pretty fast typer. My fingers are exhausted. :( ...

How would you prepare for it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well Im saying how would you prepare for it?

If I don't get in because of this test and have to take it again, I'm going to make sure I do a few full length practice CASPer tests in advance. I was going off of what people said on here previously which was you don't need to prepare for it. BIG MISTAKE. Typing for 90 mins under those conditions is not something I was prepared for. Made tons of spelling mistakes/grammar with no time to go back and correct. The test says grammar and spelling do not count but I feel like when you make a lot of spelling mistakes it looks bad and will negatively affect how your answers are perceived.

Looks like there's been a huge explosion in the number of schools using CASPer this year !

How does casper figure into the review process? Can you be reviewed/receive an II before your casper score comes in to UVM?

How does casper figure into the review process? Can you be reviewed/receive an II before your casper score comes in to UVM?

I doubt it. It seemed like most of the other schools that have historically required it do not count your application as "complete" until they receive your score. UVM could do things a bit differently, though.

I doubt it. It seemed like most of the other schools that have historically required it do not count your application as "complete" until they receive your score. UVM could do things a bit differently, though.

I think I read somewhere that NYMC will grant interviews before receiving your CASPer score, but I could be wrong.

I think I read somewhere that NYMC will grant interviews before receiving your CASPer score, but I could be wrong.

In the past they did but I heard from a friend who is there that things might change this year because they are weighing CASPer significantly more, so the number of people they send out II to with pending CASPer results might go down.

If I don't get in because of this test and have to take it again, I'm going to make sure I do a few full length practice CASPer tests in advance. I was going off of what people said on here previously which was you don't need to prepare for it. BIG MISTAKE. Typing for 90 mins under those conditions is not something I was prepared for. Made tons of spelling mistakes/grammar with no time to go back and correct. The test says grammar and spelling do not count but I feel like when you make a lot of spelling mistakes it looks bad and will negatively affect how your answers are perceived.

The CASPer website literally says that spelling and grammar is not taken into consideration by the graders. They're trained to ignore it. If you feel like your content was fine, then that's all you need for a good score.

Took the Casper exam today. Hope you give me some love, Vermont!

Currently doing a summer fellowship here and can confirm that they do not count the application as complete until they receive AMCAS + Casper.

Probably taking awhile this year because they just started requiring the CASPer or something. I could possibly go to admissions and ask when, but it seems a little unnecessary. Patience is key!!!

Per there website it says 7/17 secondary invitations begin.

Recently took casper. Really excited about Vermont! Show an OOS some love UVM!

Has anyone contacted UVM to find out exactly how CASPer will be used? Will they use it to screen out the bottom 10-15% of applicants based on their CASPer results?

Has anyone contacted UVM to find out exactly how CASPer will be used? Will they use it to screen out the bottom 10-15% of applicants based on their CASPer results?

Literally no one but admissions would know that and no one will say that even if it's true. If they give an answer it'll be broad and not let us know anything that is not online.

I do not know if this is current or not but I found this while look for their letter requirements.

Supplemental Instructions

Edit: I should note that I could not seem to find this on their home page. Only from a google search I did that led straight to it.

I heard that they might be using it to weed out the bottom 25% of applicants based on their CASPer performance. Apparently it doesn't matter what your MCAT or GPA is now if you don't meet the minimum CASPer requirement.

Yeah, they definitely took down that link I posted. I searched for it, found it, and got the same 404 error. It could have been last year's instructions and questions and they are updating the site for the new questions now.

Anyone waiting for a secondary still?
Not sure why I haven't received one (close ties with UVM and decent stats).
Where is the Vermont loveee? :beaver:

edit*
NVM looks like no one's gotten one??

Per there website it says 7/17 secondary invitations begin.

It just started today. They probably have not even sent out the first batch yet.

If anyone is curious, I have a friend in the medical school who let me know that the secondaries will most likely come out late today (seems unlikely) or by tomorrow. So don't be worried if you didn't get one today!

I'm guessing they are waiting for CASPer scores before handing out secondaries. If that's the case those of us who took it on 6/28 should be hopefully getting one soon.

I'm guessing they are waiting for CASPer scores before handing out secondaries. If that's the case those of us who took it on 6/28 should be hopefully getting one soon.
That's kinda weird but at this point I'll believe anything :(

If anyone is curious, I have a friend in the medical school who let me know that the secondaries will most likely come out late today (seems unlikely) or by tomorrow. So don't be worried if you didn't get one today!

Hey! Do you mind maybe asking them if they are in fact waiting for CASPer scores to be released first?

Just waiting on this secondary...