2017-2018 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also just sent the school an email!
Whoa just saw this and did it! Let us know what they say if they respond!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see this waitlist confirmation box anywhere on my portal...can someone explain where they are seeing it? Thanks!

I don't see this waitlist confirmation box anywhere on my portal...can someone explain where they are seeing it? Thanks!

I think it is in the decision tab. There is a box that you check and after you confirm you still want to be in the wait list, it says something like "you have accepted being on the wait list"

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is in the decision tab. There is a box that you check and after you confirm you still want to be in the wait list, it says something like "you have accepted being on the wait list"
Spoke with admissions today. This feature came embedded in UVM's new application software. The admissions office is not going to use this question to gauge your interest in UVM. We can all breath easy. Doesn't hurt to click it. I clicked it. I felt the most gentle, butterfly whispering to a field mouse sensation of having accomplished something. Then I returned to the dreaded wait, for it is my place, my destiny, my forever home. Please oh merciful lords and ladies of Burlington, do see fit to choose me from amongst the flock for I am a most dutiful non-traditional applicant and true while I have not yet published in Nature I did visit their website a couple times. So say we all.

Reactions: 9 users
Spoke with admissions today. This feature came embedded in UVM's new application software. The admissions office is not going to use this question to gauge your interest in UVM. We can all breath easy. Doesn't hurt to click it. I clicked it. I felt the most gentle, butterfly whispering to a field mouse sensation of having accomplished something. Then I returned to the dreaded wait, for it is my place, my destiny, my forever home. Please oh merciful lords and ladies of Burlington, do see fit to choose me from amongst the flock for I am a most dutiful non-traditional applicant and true while I have not yet published in Nature I did visit their website a couple times. So say we all.

Thanks so much for clarifying. UVM, it was my birthday not so long ago, but it is still not too late for a gift ;)

Hang in there guys, I think we only got a couple days left!

Whoa just saw this and did it! Let us know what they say if they respond!
The admissions office is not going to use this question to gauge your interest in UVM. We can all breath easy. Doesn't hurt to click it. I clicked it. I felt the most gentle, butterfly whispering to a field mouse sensation of having accomplished something.

^^^
Yup! They said no response is required to save your spot on the waitlist. You are automatically placed on it and only are taken off if you withdraw

Reactions: 1 user
^^^
Yup! They said no response is required to save your spot on the waitlist. You are automatically placed on it and only are taken off if you withdraw
Did they say anything regarding the WL movement? Has it been moving and SDN just hasn’t displayed it? Have they over-accepted and don’t expect to be taking many off the WL? Or are they just behind schedule? These are only a few of the questions constantly running through my mind.

Did they say anything regarding the WL movement? Has it been moving and SDN just hasn’t displayed it? Have they over-accepted and don’t expect to be taking many off the WL? Or are they just behind schedule? These are only a few of the questions constantly running through my mind.

These are things I also been thinking, but for some reason I have a feeling that they are trying to get most if not all of the WL movement done in one setting. That or they are just having such a hard time since everyone is so awesome or they are trying to figure out how to expand their class so they can fit us all in it

All are possibilities I think. My stats are eh so I’m not expecting much, especially considering how things seem to be moving. Still holding on to a microscopic sized shred of hope. I’m from where one of the main rotation sites is at, so trying to be a bit optimistic.

Good luck to everyone and remember to keep us posted if you get good news. In return I’ll send you a dancing banana or two.

No, they didn’t say anything about waitlist movement in their email to me

Was accepted a while ago but I got the official offer letter in the mail today, along with a Maple Flavored Pop yum!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Was accepted a while ago but I got the official offer letter in the mail today, along with a Maple Flavored Pop yum!

hahaha they would send a maple flavored one! Did they also send some of the leftover donuts and apple cyder they had for the interview too? That was some good stuff

Congrats on your acceptance btw! Are you matriculating here?

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha they would send a maple flavored one! Did they also send some of the leftover donuts and apple cyder they had for the interview too? That was some good stuff

Congrats on your acceptance btw! Are you matriculating here?

I wish! I loved all the food from interview day.

And thank you :) I will be! I put a deposit down for a place on closer look weekend. I can’t wait!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting! I know from experience the stress of being on a waitlist.

I truly regret not getting a maple flavored pop when I went for my interview here.

Hi folks,

I'm an incoming student and I'm looking for housing. I'm not sure if anyone can advise me, but I found someone who I think will make a pretty decent roommate. We have some shared interests and perspective on life and they seem really considerate.

They're not medical student and the spot is downtown. Anyone have advice on this? I kind of feel like it will be good to have community outside of medical school and a space away. I recognize that I'll be spending a lot of time at school and holed up in the library so I feel like having an away space might be good?

Maybe I'm being idealistic and setting my life pup to be harder though..anyone have insight to share? Thanks!

Hi folks,

I'm an incoming student and I'm looking for housing. I'm not sure if anyone can advise me, but I found someone who I think will make a pretty decent roommate. We have some shared interests and perspective on life and they seem really considerate.

They're not medical student and the spot is downtown. Anyone have advice on this? I kind of feel like it will be good to have community outside of medical school and a space away. I recognize that I'll be spending a lot of time at school and holed up in the library so I feel like having an away space might be good?

Maybe I'm being idealistic and setting my life pup to be harder though..anyone have insight to share? Thanks!

Hey!

I am an incoming M1, as well. From what I read and understood, many students prefer to live as close as they can get to campus since this means less walking distance (keep in mind the extreme cold in Vermont during the winter) and the freedom to wake up a little later (or have some more time to relax and have breakfast before going to school). Of course, you definitely want to live with somebody who you can get along with so do not sacrifice your peace just to live closer to campus! However, I think you should look at more options, if you can, in terms of other properties before they are gone. I hear what you are saying about having a life outside of medical school and friends who are not solely medical students. I feel the same way. However, I feel like you are bound to meet people outside of this circle, regardless, if you participate in clubs and activities in your free time. (But again, I am an M1 too so these are just my guesses!)

Here is a map of the area close to the UVM Medical Center. There are some apartment complexes in this region that you can look up! Hope this helps.
Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 11.36.30 AM.png

Anyone know if there has been WL movement, just not reported on SDN? Most of my WL schools have been complete silence....

Reactions: 2 users
I dont think there has been any movement at all tbh, but hopefully they get back to us soon... its been almost 4 weeks since traffic day and trying to stay strong, but its a bit discouraging :(

I dont think there has been any movement at all tbh, but hopefully they get back to us soon... its been almost 4 weeks since traffic day and trying to stay strong, but its a bit discouraging :(
When I called Vermont they said they have had waitlist movement, but couldn't give me more info than that. On last years thread, it appears that waitlist movement began end of May. I feel your pain, but there is hope!

When I called Vermont they said they have had waitlist movement, but couldn't give me more info than that. On last years thread, it appears that waitlist movement began end of May. I feel your pain, but there is hope!

Oh they had some movement already?? Do you mind telling me when did you give them a call?

Hi folks,

Sounds like it might be a good situation. There are several buses which go from downtown up to the medical center. Door to door it might be like 7 minutes. Go with what seems best.

may be its the calm before the storm... in this case though i dont know if there was any calm before this storm

Does anybody know anything about purchasing stethoscopes/white coat? Trying to factor these things into my budget. Thanks!

Congratulations everyone on getting accepted to UVM and starting class soon!
I'm a current 2018-2019 applicant to UVM and in need of some people to read over my essay.
Please PM me if you are able to and it would help me tremendously!!

Thank you! and good luck this school year! :)

It's changing a bit, as you probably know, so my knowledge is limited in this area, but I can say that if you choose to do your rotations in VT, you end up doing a smattering of them here, and then a smattering at the various satellite campuses. Ultimately there's a lottery system with some options to submit preferences as to what rotations are done where and in what order, and they try to jazz up the lottery process and make it seem fun and like it's a right of passage, but ultimately it's kind of sucky from what I can gather.

Signing up for an LIC or for all rotations at the CT campus puts you in that location for the duration, but then you have to find your own housing, as opposed to doing UVM-compensated housing if you are sent somewhere to rotate. The only people who get to stay in VT 100% of the time are people who have children, which bothers me a bit, as the fact that I'm single without kids doesn't mean I like living a rootless existence, but then here we are.

For fourth year you can do elective aways or pick and choose various things, but it's less travel if you want it that way. You could keep your apartment for all four years (though I don't know why you'd need to know that now), but you may want to find somewhere that you could sublet occasionally for year 3.

Obviously not my best answer, but hopefully that helps.

AS FOR THE WAITLIST, my understanding is that it's not ranked, and that when someone declines an acceptance, they take someone from the waitlist who would best replace that person--that is, whose characteristics, academic background, etc. seem to match those of the person who dropped. This is how other unranked waitlists tend to go, and while I don't have direct knowledge of the UVM waitlist, this is my general impression.
Virtually none of this post is accurate. The clerkship lottery guarantees that students get 5 of their top choices; housing in the LIC or CT is free; waitlist is ranked.

Would a current student at Vermont be willing to answer a few questions for me? I was accepted back in October and am trying to learn more about the program.