Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome we keep growing everyday! Y'all are all great and will be doing big things for years to come.Just requested to join![]()
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Awesome we keep growing everyday! Y'all are all great and will be doing big things for years to come.Just requested to join![]()
Has anyone used the next step course? I signed up and just did the diagnostic(505)- how high can a score really rise?
I didn't take the NS course, but I also got a 505 on the diagnostic, and ended up with a 516 on the MCAT after 4 months of studying with the EK books.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Has anyone used the next step course? I signed up and just did the diagnostic(505)- how high can a score really rise?
Has anyone used the next step course? I signed up and just did the diagnostic(505)- how high can a score really rise?
Post in WAMC and tag goro and faha.I have been creeping on this thread and gathered the courage to post. I am wondering if I am a good enough candidate to apply to some MD schools and could really use some help with a list. I recently discovered sdn and got incredibly discouraged yesterday reading the posts and am now debating what I should do. Any advice or schools or in general? Thank you.
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 502 (not so great and not balanced but I am afraid it will be late if I retake)
State of residence: AZ
Undergrad: Biomedical Engineering
Clinical experience: 50 hours volunteer scribe at free clinics
Research: 800 hours biochem/cancer lab - acknowledgments only no publications 🙁
Shadowing: 100 hours
Non-clinical volunteering: Fraternity chair member, outreach chair for clubs, campaign manager, volunteer SIF, worked at teaching assistant, serving & bartending job (I know not glamorous but paid bills), volunteer daycare for AA and NA meetings through church, currently night shift engineer, capstone project, community service engineering project in Zimbabwe
Other extra-curriculars: yoga and ballet
Also this is my first time hearing about Drew and I was wondering if that was totally out of my reach?
Btw female AA and Hispanic (basic Spanish)
GPA: 3.3
Science: 3.0
Majors: Biology and Psychology
Minor: Multicultural Studies
MCAT: 496-500 range
Extracurriculars:
SMDEP: May 2014-July 2014
Global Health Brigades (Public Health): Honduras Jan 2015 1 week. National Honor Society in Psychology
Pre Med Honor Society
Global Brigades: September 2014-May 2016
Gay Club lol: August 2014-May 2016
Shadowing Experience:
Dr. S, MD (8 Hours): July 2014
Dr. M, MD (5 Hours) July 2014
Dr. K, MD (4 hours per week): February 2015-May 2015
Dr. T, DO (Time Varies): September 2016-February 2017
Dr. MT: May 2017
Research Experience:
Research Assistant, Conditioning and Neuroscience,
Dr. T S September 2013-May 2016, 4-5 hours per week
I have one paper under review for publication
Work Experience:
Caller, Alumni Associate
Summer 2013, 9 hours per week
Kitchen Manager, Chipotle Mexican Grill
October 2016-Present, 40 hours per week
Deli Associate, Walmart
June 2015-August 2015
Volunteer Experience:
Emergency Children’s Shelter
January 2015-May 2016, 4-10 hours per week (600+ documented hours. 800+ undocumented)
Centro Latino de Salud
February 2016-May 2016, 4 hours per week (40+ total)
- Pick-up and Drop off driver for enrollees in Centro Latino
- Reading/Math/Literary tutor for family of immigrants
- Promoted healthy eating habits for children and their families
Mentorship Program
Emergency Children’s Shelter
April 2015-present
(Basically I'm a mentor/big brother like person for 8+ kids in foster care)
AIDS Foundation
May 2017-Present
Hospital
May 2017-Present
- Here my sister set me up with a DO and I attend lectures on manipulation and attend activities with medical school students/residents
School List:
1. Eastern Virginia Medical School
2. Meharry Medical College
3. Howard Medical College
4. Southern Illinois College of Medicine
5. UCLA Geffens
6. UIC
7. Morehouse
8. Rosalind Franklin
9. Rush University College of Medicine
10. Charles Drew College of Medicine
11. University of Kansas School of Medicine
12. Medical College of Wisconsin
13. Loyola
14. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
15. Central Michigan University College of Medicine
16. Michigan State University
17. Indiana University School of Medicine
18. University of Minnesota Twin Cities
19. University of Wisconsin Madison
20. West Virginia University School of Medicine
21. Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine
22. University of South Carolina School of Medicine
23. University of South Carolina Greenville
24. University of Chicago Pritzker
25. Marshall University Joan C Edwards School of Medicine
26. Northeast Ohio Medical University
27. Oakland University Beaumont School of Medicine
28. University of Arkansas Medical Sciences College of Medicine
29. University of Washington School of Medicine
30. Vermont
DO Medical School List
1. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Kirksville
3. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
4. Des Moines
5. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
6. Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
7. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
8. Western University of Health Sciences
9. Touro University California
10. Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
11. Michigan State Osteopathic
12. Campbell University College of Osteopathic Medicine
13. Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
14. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
15. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York
*Side Note* I've studied spanish for 8 years
Has anyone used the next step course? I signed up and just did the diagnostic(505)- how high can a score really rise?
I wouldn't try to predict your real MCAT score using any 3rd party exams. Apparently, a lot of them deliberately make it difficult to score high because they have guarantees to raise your score and want to keep that sweet sweet $$$.
I found out my MCAT score today. 493. Pretty disappointed. GPA was 3.5. Major Sociology. I'm nontraditional, 10 years out of undergrad, worked at a leading international public health consulting firm so I do very well in interviews with on-hand experience to pull from. Just wondering if there is any hope for me in getting in anywhere.
On top of this, absolutely continue through with the process. You might surprise yourself. I do wish you luck though.Is this your first attempt? If so, I'd take the year to re-evaluate how you studied, come up with a better study plan and retake the exam. If this is not your first attempt, I would think about your options and career choices. If you are dead set about applying this year only to medical schools, I would only aim at the low-mid tier DO schools, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse and maybe, maaaayyybe your in-state public schools. Your GPA keeps you somewhat afloat if your sGPA mirrors that 3.5 but that MCAT is almost always DOA.
On top of this, absolutely continue through with the process. You might surprise yourself. I do wish you luck though.
If you don't like me asking, what was your study schedule and time commitments?
Thanks for the response. I have applied to those schools actually. I went to a women's college for undergrad, so I'd actually like to attend a historically black institution for similar reasons. Anyway, I am hoping that my experience may set me apart to the right school. Not planning to pull my application at this point so I really appreciate that comment.
I started studying in February for the May exam and studied on average 9.5 hours a week. The problem for me is my job. It often requires staying late and coming in on the weekend. I would need to do a serious life adjustment to fit in the hours I need to get that score up (obviously). Which I'm open to, but figure I'll see this cycle through to the end given the $$ investment.
Did you take any practice exams?
Only one. I clearly should have taken more. Got caught up on content review.Did you take any practice exams?
Only one. I clearly should have taken more. Got caught up on content review.
Only one. I clearly should have taken more. Got caught up on content review.
Only one. I clearly should have taken more. Got caught up on content review.
I'm a Black woman who managed a 520+ MCAT by the grace of God, and I want to pass on some of the tips and tricks that have worked for me. Also, all of this waiting around for verification &etc is driving me crazy. Helping strangers over the Internet is a better outlet for the crazy than stalking WAMC posts and googling "High MCAT not accepted medical school".Also, I've been lurking on this thread for awhile but I've recently decided to de-lurk, especially seeing all of these MCAT questions!I'm a Black woman who managed a 520+ MCAT by the grace of God, and I want to pass on some of the tips and tricks that have worked for me. Also, all of this waiting around for verification &etc is driving me crazy. Helping strangers over the Internet is a better outlet for the crazy than stalking WAMC posts and googling "High MCAT not accepted medical school".
I would like to hear these tipsAlso, I've been lurking on this thread for awhile but I've recently decided to de-lurk, especially seeing all of these MCAT questions!I'm a Black woman who managed a 520+ MCAT by the grace of God, and I want to pass on some of the tips and tricks that have worked for me. Also, all of this waiting around for verification &etc is driving me crazy. Helping strangers over the Internet is a better outlet for the crazy than stalking WAMC posts and googling "High MCAT not accepted medical school".
When do the first secondaries typically go out (I submitted June 2nd) ? I've been prewriting most of them but will be out of the country the first two weeks of July, so just wondering about the timing.
Congratulations! As someone in your position last year, you will be just fine! Just commit every step into God's hands!Also, I've been lurking on this thread for awhile but I've recently decided to de-lurk, especially seeing all of these MCAT questions!I'm a Black woman who managed a 520+ MCAT by the grace of God, and I want to pass on some of the tips and tricks that have worked for me. Also, all of this waiting around for verification &etc is driving me crazy. Helping strangers over the Internet is a better outlet for the crazy than stalking WAMC posts and googling "High MCAT not accepted medical school".
Actually surprised we haven't received any yet. Last year it seemed like a good amount of schools sent them like a week before the first date primaries were sent.

Submitted my AMCAS application![]()
Anyone have a secondary pre-writing schedule that they plan on adhereing to? I'm getting mad lazy and it's not even July yet, lol.![]()
I haven't had much of a schedule I have just been writing them as I go on google docs. It has been helpful tho to keep a spreadsheet of my progress/how many questions I have left for a school. Tryna get them mostly done before July 4th.
Lol mostly doing them quickly because I'll be out of country first half a July and don't want to be freaking out.Wow, good for you! You must be an amazing writer!
Lol mostly doing them quickly because I'll be out of country first half a July and don't want to be freaking out.

I'm taking on July 21st. I'm so happy we have a long weekend coming up( I need to catch up on content review).
I feel you; it seems like everyone has one section were they struggle.
Hey guys! I've been lurking on this thread, but waiting for secondaries and procrastinating pre-writing has made me nervous about only applying to 13 schools and has made me wonder if I should add more (a major thing holding me back is cost though)
AA and hispanic female
Texas resident (UT Austin Grad)
GPA: 3.92c 3.84s
MCAT: 519 (126 chem/131/131/131)
EC:
-working as a full-time scribe in the ER during my gap year
-Studied abroad in Guatemala for a summer and volunteered teaching children English
-was Vice President of psych organization for two years
-about 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering in total including various activities with organizations
-limited research experience; about 90 hours coding in a food disorder lab
-also did about 60 hours of shadowing in an urgent care
School List
McGovern
Dell (UT Austin)
UTMB
Paul Foster (El Paso)
Southwestern
Uniformed Services
Emory
Chapel Hill
Wake Forrest
Tulane
Carver College of Medicine
University of Washington
Ohio State
Hey guys! I've been lurking on this thread, but waiting for secondaries and procrastinating pre-writing has made me nervous about only applying to 13 schools and has made me wonder if I should add more (a major thing holding me back is cost though)
AA and hispanic female
Texas resident (UT Austin Grad)
GPA: 3.92c 3.84s
MCAT: 519 (126 chem/131/131/131)
EC:
-working as a full-time scribe in the ER during my gap year
-Studied abroad in Guatemala for a summer and volunteered teaching children English
-was Vice President of psych organization for two years
-about 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering in total including various activities with organizations
-limited research experience; about 90 hours coding in a food disorder lab
-also did about 60 hours of shadowing in an urgent care
School List
McGovern
Dell (UT Austin)
UTMB
Paul Foster (El Paso)
Southwestern
Uniformed Services
Emory
Chapel Hill
Wake Forrest
Tulane
Carver College of Medicine
University of Washington
Ohio State


Congratulations! As someone in your position last year, you will be just fine! Just commit every step into God's hands!
Who else is listening to 4:44 with their jaw on the floor? Lol.
But actuallyOur mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.