SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by azolesoul, Apr 18, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. O.T.I.

O.T.I. 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2015
    MDApps:
    I like @Stuck on CCL2 's recommendations. My content review was a bit different because I took a bulk of my classes that semester and took the MCAT the week after finals, so fo studying the review packets I made for myself was very helpful for when I wanted to study for the MCAT.

Stuck on CCL2 likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    Just requested to join :clap:

Kgizzle likes this.
  4. azolesoul

azolesoul

Apr 9, 2017
    Signed up for the NextStep MCAT course- hopefully I'll crush the MCAT!

Kgizzle and O.T.I. like this.
  5. ADSigMel

ADSigMel 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2015
    The Deep South
    Hey, guys. I got my MCAT score today and posted in WAMC, but would love to have y'all's input into my school list as well, if you don't mind.

I already submitted my primary to my two in-state schools before my MCAT score came back, so I need maybe 10 more to fill out my list.

African American female, rural and underserved background, 33 y.o. non-trad - went to a T14 law school and practiced law for 10 years - did a DIY post-bac over the past year to finish prerequisites

cGPA: 3.60
    sGPA: 3.62
    MCAT: 516 (127/132/127/130)
    State of residence: Alabama (2 in-state MD schools)
    Undergrad: State U
    Clinical experience: 1 year (~1500 hours) as an ER scribe
    Research: ~80 hours in genetics lab - publication likely upcoming, but nothing definitive yet
    Shadowing: ~40 hours in primary care and ortho
    Non-clinical volunteering: ~100 hours as a member of a nonprofit board; 2 years (~70 hours) mentoring with Big Brothers Big Sisters; ~50 in a leadership development course for young professionals; ~200 hours of volunteer legal service for the underprivileged; 9 years (~900 hours) of community service as part of the Junior League; 3 years of interpreting for the Spanish-speaking community in various settings during college
    Other extra-curriculars: Several years of community theatre and community choir performance; started a sorority in college; part-time fashion designer for certain niche markets

As I see it, the negatives on my primary application are my lack of clinical volunteering (although I have lots of non-clinical volunteering and paid clinical experience) and my GPA (especially my law school GPA, which is 2.91). There isn't much I can do about either of those things at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

DocAfri, 4theCulture and markelle like this.
  6. markelle

markelle 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Maryland
    anyone available to read PS? the official thread has only two people left and I dont feel to comfortable with them...

7. joe_1395

joe_1395

Apr 18, 2016
    I can read it :). I already submitted my app for verification

8. Stuck on CCL2

Stuck on CCL2

Jul 6, 2016
    I can read it too; just PM me a google docs link that I can edit with.

9. Skyrider2000

Skyrider2000

Jun 14, 2017
    Hey guys I'm new here and was wondering if anyone would be able to read my PS and provide me with some feedback? It would be kindly appreciated :)

10. markelle

markelle 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Maryland
    I am a little confused. Is there a significant difference between clinical experience and shadowing?

I am a technician that lumped summed my clinical and shadowing in one experience. This is a paranoid type question lol , but its doesn't matter right?

11. BlackOrthoSurg

BlackOrthoSurg

May 24, 2017
    Long time lurker, first time poster

Excited for this app cycle with y'all

AA male, 3.7x cGPA, 3.6x sGPA, 52x MCAT

12. all things possible

all things possible 2+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Technician is under clinical experience...you have duties tied to your job.

Shadowing is separate.

markelle likes this.
  13. OchemOficionado

OchemOficionado

Apr 25, 2016

Shadowing is typical passive and clinical experience active. On the work & activities thread it was stressed to have a separate shadowing category. If you already submitted it's too late to worry now. It is what it is, your app IS good enough!

14. markelle

markelle 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Maryland

Ok so separate activities on AMCAS, even though the contact is the same?
    I figured that would look like padding as being technician at my clinic often requires me to shadow often, so I put that in the description.
    Separating the hours will be difficult though... but i'll figure it out.
    Thank you!

15. Kgizzle

Kgizzle 7+ Year Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Awesome we keep growing everyday! Y'all are all great and will be doing big things for years to come.

16. azolesoul

azolesoul

Apr 9, 2017
    Has anyone used the next step course? I signed up and just did the diagnostic(505)- how high can a score really rise?

17. ADSigMel

ADSigMel 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2015
    The Deep South
    I didn't take the NS course, but I also got a 505 on the diagnostic, and ended up with a 516 on the MCAT after 4 months of studying with the EK books.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

18. DocAfri

DocAfri

Jun 28, 2016
    Ditto

19. UnmarkedTrail

UnmarkedTrail

Mar 2, 2016
    From what I have read NS has some of the harder tests on the market, so theoretically you should be able to rise higher than this. AAMC material is the most indicative though.

20. BlackOrthoSurg

BlackOrthoSurg

May 24, 2017
    Dont really remember what diagnostic I used, but I started with a diagnostic score of 501, and remember feeling super overwhelmed and frustrated. After two months of reading with Kaplan, my score was at 504, and slowly rose to 510 doing practice tests. By the time I took the FL1, I had a 516, FL2 - 514. Final MCAT score was a 523. So, how high can a score rise? About as high as you damn well please. Just gotta have a plan, keep your mind focused on what you are trying to do, study continuously, and dont forget to take lots of breaks. Its hard to study tired/stressed. Good luck.

joe_1395, ADSigMel and DocAfri like this.
  21. LavaCat

LavaCat

Jun 16, 2017
    Ok I will post on WAMC, thank you all things possible

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  22. all things possible

all things possible 2+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Post in WAMC and tag goro and faha.
    You should be ok with a decent school list including your AZ state schools and the HBCUs. Make sure your essays are almost perfect as well.

23. greysloan03

greysloan03

May 25, 2017
    I'm not applying for a while (currently a sophomore in undegrad) but MUSC has a huge bias for having some ties to SC. I'm not sure if that's been said or not.

24. Sir Alanna Trebond

Sir Alanna Trebond

Mar 19, 2017
    I wouldn't try to predict your real MCAT score using any 3rd party exams. Apparently, a lot of them deliberately make it difficult to score high because they have guarantees to raise your score and want to keep that sweet sweet $$$.

4theCulture, Neuro25_ and teamoteamo like this.
  25. hopeful314

hopeful314 2+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I know I'm late, but are there any MSs in here who would be willing to read over my PS?

26. teamoteamo

teamoteamo 2+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Where The Wild Things Are
    So much truth to this.

27. BurntFlower

BurntFlower 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    Got accepted for AACOMAS' Fee Assistance :)

28. frangipani99

frangipani99 5+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I found out my MCAT score today. 493. Pretty disappointed. GPA was 3.5. Major Sociology. I'm nontraditional, 10 years out of undergrad, worked at a leading international public health consulting firm so I do very well in interviews with on-hand experience to pull from. Just wondering if there is any hope for me in getting in anywhere.

29. Stuck on CCL2

Stuck on CCL2

Jul 6, 2016
    Is this your first attempt? If so, I'd take the year to re-evaluate how you studied, come up with a better study plan and retake the exam. If this is not your first attempt, I would think about your options and career choices. If you are dead set about applying this year only to medical schools, I would only aim at the low-mid tier DO schools, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse and maybe, maaaayyybe your in-state public schools. Your GPA keeps you somewhat afloat if your sGPA mirrors that 3.5 but that MCAT is almost always DOA.

30. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    On top of this, absolutely continue through with the process. You might surprise yourself. I do wish you luck though.

If you don't like me asking, what was your study schedule and time commitments?

31. frangipani99

Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks for the response. I have applied to those schools actually. I went to a women's college for undergrad, so I'd actually like to attend a historically black institution for similar reasons. Anyway, I am hoping that my experience may set me apart to the right school. Not planning to pull my application at this point so I really appreciate that comment.

I started studying in February for the May exam and studied on average 9.5 hours a week. The problem for me is my job. It often requires staying late and coming in on the weekend. I would need to do a serious life adjustment to fit in the hours I need to get that score up (obviously). Which I'm open to, but figure I'll see this cycle through to the end given the $$ investment.

32. BurntFlower

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    Did you take any practice exams?

33. frangipani99

Jul 24, 2011
    Only one. I clearly should have taken more. Got caught up on content review.

34. BurntFlower

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    Was it the AAMC or a third party FL?

35. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    Definitely do a ton more practice tests! They are obnoxious, but I can definitively say they made a huge difference for me. I'm also 10 years out of undergrad, we can do this!

36. Sir Alanna Trebond

Sir Alanna Trebond

Mar 19, 2017
    I would recommend buying the AAMC's bundle that comes with practice questions and three full length practice exams. The practice questions serve two purposes: content review and familiarizing yourself with MCAT style questions. The full length exams help you build endurance and predict your score. I think you should see some improvement with both. Also, a score below 500 suggests some issues with content review. I know you said you focused on content review last time but maybe the way you were studying wasn't efficient? You want to build in lots of practice and recall even during content review. It will help the information sink in better. You might need to study over a longer period of time since you're balancing studying with a job. You can definitely do this! I think you just need to shift your strategy.

I know you want to apply this cycle, and it may be worth it for you to push forward (only you can make that decision). A higher MCAT score would really help your chances. Keep in mind that AAMC data suggests ~25% of Black applicants with your stats are accepted: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

Not sure which community you identify with, and I don't mean to be discouraging! Best of luck with applications, whatever you decide! All love from here.

docchocolate likes this.
  37. Sir Alanna Trebond

Sir Alanna Trebond

Mar 19, 2017
    Also, I've been lurking on this thread for awhile but I've recently decided to de-lurk, especially seeing all of these MCAT questions! :woot: I'm a Black woman who managed a 520+ MCAT by the grace of God, and I want to pass on some of the tips and tricks that have worked for me. Also, all of this waiting around for verification &etc is driving me crazy. Helping strangers over the Internet is a better outlet for the crazy than stalking WAMC posts and googling "High MCAT not accepted medical school".

38. pramsotingz

pramsotingz

May 31, 2017
    That score is incredible! You have your pick of any school in the country. No need to be googling that at all lol.

39. Formyfuture

Formyfuture 2+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2013
    East Coast
    When do the first secondaries typically go out (I submitted June 2nd) ? I've been prewriting most of them but will be out of the country the first two weeks of July, so just wondering about the timing.

40. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I would like to hear these tips

41. Orthopedics101

Orthopedics101 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Old Trafford
    Actually surprised we haven't received any yet. Last year it seemed like a good amount of schools sent them like a week before the first date primaries were sent.

Formyfuture likes this.
  42. O.T.I.

O.T.I. 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2015
    MDApps:
    Congratulations! As someone in your position last year, you will be just fine! Just commit every step into God's hands!

43. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    Is anyone willing to read my personal statement and return it to me before the end of June?

44. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    I have a friend in admissions in Virginia, they won't be getting apps until next weekend, so probably soon after for secondaries.

45. BurntFlower

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    Submitted my AMCAS application :whistle:

46. 4theCulture

4theCulture trust the process

May 30, 2017
    +1

47. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    Anyone have a secondary pre-writing schedule that they plan on adhereing to? I'm getting mad lazy and it's not even July yet, lol. :drowning:

48. Formyfuture

Aug 18, 2013
    East Coast
    I haven't had much of a schedule I have just been writing them as I go on google docs. It has been helpful tho to keep a spreadsheet of my progress/how many questions I have left for a school. Tryna get them mostly done before July 4th.

teamoteamo likes this.
  49. UnmarkedTrail

UnmarkedTrail

Mar 2, 2016
    I am going to start writing them as a I go this week, and am planning to submit my primary this week or next.

50. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    Wow, good for you! You must be an amazing writer!

Formyfuture likes this.
  51. Formyfuture

Aug 18, 2013
    East Coast
    Lol mostly doing them quickly because I'll be out of country first half a July and don't want to be freaking out.

teamoteamo and SGRhoDoc like this.