D
deleted854547
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else taking Casper tomorrow?
I am!
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anyone else taking Casper tomorrow?
+1I am!
I believe that's probably true. On the letter I got it said they pretty much sent it to URMs with a MCAT > 505. I think a current 506 is about an old 29.
Hi guys! I've followed the last two URM application threads and I wanted to solicit you all for advice since everyone here is so nice and supportive! I'm still debating on whether I should pull the trigger and apply for this cycle (I know I'm quickly running out of time to make this decision), due to my low MCAT.
I have a 3.5 cGPA/3.44 sGPA, 501 MCAT, black female, lots of clinical experience, leadership, research with a publication and some presentations, and decent clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I'm aiming for DOs, HBCUs, and my state schools and my state school is actually my top choice, but I want to maximize my chances and apply with the best possible application. The only hesitance I have is I've already taken one gap year and I'm currently in my second gap year and I'm becoming a bit impatient, but I don't want to have any regrets in my career.
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! You guys all rock and are so inspirational!!
I think you should go for it. Your LizzyM puts you at a 67% chance of gaining an MD acceptance (avg usually 40%, so that's good!) If your volunteering is actually decent you may fit at some mission based schools. I think DO will be no sweat for you.
On the other hand, you've waited this "far" into the cycle for a reason. If you aren't very confident DONT DO IT. Retake your MCAT and apply next year. Is your Personal Statement ready to go? Do you have a compelling story?
Do you think a 3.8 with a 507 stands a chance ?
1500 clinical, 200 shadowing, 500 research, 500 community service,, 3100 hours in sales job (4 years during undergrad) + numerous other leadership, and tutoring positions?
If not, I supposed in the grand scheme of things I would have lost 39$ lol
If you weren't an UiM applicant, i'd say the only thing holding you back at that school would be the research and the MCAT, but since you are an UiM applicant, I think you'd have a shot as long as you really write your secondaries well for Feinberg. Any mid tier school or lower you would be 100% fine.
Oh I forgot to mention I have a publication co- author. In Scientific reports by Nature, if that helps.
So I should aim for the mid-lower tiers and no top 20's like Pitt?
Is the MCAT really holding me back? Right now my sample is at 75%, and 74% is a 507 according to the AAMC.
I test on July 22nd. I was aiming for the 508/510 range, I am not sure how to go up one point in 11 days. I was thinking about signing up for a august 11th exam, since I wont be complete until I have my committee letter in September.
Could I PM with you a proposed list of schools?
Comparing my self with another URM who had 3.8cgpa and 3.7sGPA and a 509, she got many II at top 20's and was accepted at UCSF.. so I was thinking a 508/507 is close to her 509.
Oh I forgot to mention I have a publication co- author. In Scientific reports by Nature, if that helps.
So I should aim for the mid-lower tiers and no top 20's like Pitt?
Is the MCAT really holding me back? Right now my sample is at 75%, and 74% is a 507 according to the AAMC.
I test on July 22nd. I was aiming for the 508/510 range, I am not sure how to go up one point in 11 days. I was thinking about signing up for a august 11th exam, since I wont be complete until I have my committee letter in September.
Could I PM with you a proposed list of schools?
Comparing my self with another URM who had 3.8cgpa and 3.7sGPA and a 509, she got many II at top 20's and was accepted at UCSF.. so I was thinking a 508/507 is close to her 509.
Oh I forgot to mention I have a publication co- author. In Scientific reports by Nature, if that helps.
So I should aim for the mid-lower tiers and no top 20's like Pitt?
Is the MCAT really holding me back? Right now my sample is at 75%, and 74% is a 507 according to the AAMC.
I test on July 22nd. I was aiming for the 508/510 range, I am not sure how to go up one point in 11 days. I was thinking about signing up for a august 11th exam, since I wont be complete until I have my committee letter in September.
Could I PM with you a proposed list of schools?
Comparing my self with another URM who had 3.8cgpa and 3.7sGPA and a 509, she got many II at top 20's and was accepted at UCSF.. so I was thinking a 508/507 is close to her 509.
Finished Casper 😕 I wish we knew what scores we got...
Same... How'd you like that acting from the same 5 actors 8 times in a row?Finished Casper 😕 I wish we knew what scores we got...
How was it? I'm testing on the 26th, and don't know what to expect!

I just got my last LOR recently and uploaded it to AMCAS via Interfolio. Does anyone know how long it usually takes AMCAS to acknowledge they received the letters?
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine also offered to waive my secondary fee last year. Worth a shot for anyone who is applying there!
FWIW, Stritch just sent me an email offering the fee waiver too plus a priority review of my application. I assume it's in the works for all UiM that met their threshold that they're looking for so I'd expect y'all should be getting the email too.
FWIW, Stritch just sent me an email offering the fee waiver too plus a priority review of my application. I assume it's in the works for all UiM that met their threshold that they're looking for so I'd expect y'all should be getting the email too.
Underrepresented in medicine, same as URM I think. It's what I saw mods using on other parts of the forum.
Awesome! I'd like to add it to my school list. Assuming I ever caught up with secondaries.FWIW, Stritch just sent me an email offering the fee waiver too plus a priority review of my application. I assume it's in the works for all UiM that met their threshold that they're looking for so I'd expect y'all should be getting the email too.
Have you taken the AAMC FLs?
In obtaining advice from a bunch of people who have gone through this, you just honestly never know. There can be one thing about you or experience that Harvard or UCSF loves and would accept you with a 500-505, but Howard or MCG may not offer you an II. Where do YOU want to apply? Where would you regret not applying after all of this is said and done? I have faith that you and I will matriculate somewhere next year, but I know one thing - I don't want to wonder "what-if" when making my decision on where I want to attend. This process is full of surprises and instead of ruling yourself out (or peers ruling you out), let the schools decide. Just my unprompted 2 cents 🙂
I have a question, I am debating whether to apply to duke or not. There's a question about research, I have done some research, but I didn't like it. I think it was the area of study that I did research in (organic chemistry-polymers), I am not published. How can I go about answering this question? What role has research had in your preparation for medicine? 250 words
Love watching y'all grow as the cycle continues. The teamwork and support in this section of SDN always amazes me. As always, I would like to offer a plug for the Minorities in Medicine Facebook group where we have plenty of resources, PS readers and medical students that offer their time to help minority applicants. It is also a great way to meet new people and network with your peers! I wish y'all all the best of luck this upcoming cycle and don't worry it does get better.
TX schools sometimes ask this too. It's basically asking for ties to the state (e.g. family, work, previous residence, etc.). If you're also interested in working or living there in the future, put that.Hey guys! I'm working on a secondary from USC-Greenville. I don't really understand this question -
3. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)
I'm not from SC and I'm wondering if this is a question for me to fill out? I don't know if they want the applicant to talk about what attracts me to South Carolina or whatever. I'm so confused.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you 🙂, you're so right!! I would be remiss if I didn't at least try. I like to go by the philosophy "money comes and goes". So to add 5 top 20 schools would be about $600 with secondaries, but i think it is worth it.
For secondaries, is everyone hitting around the character limit? I'm worried that some of my responses are only about 700 of 1500 characters or 1300 of 3000 available characters. Makes me feel like I should be writing a longer response, but I've said all I want/need to say about the question asked.
For secondaries, is everyone hitting around the character limit? I'm worried that some of my responses are only about 700 of 1500 characters or 1300 of 3000 available characters. Makes me feel like I should be writing a longer response, but I've said all I want/need to say about the question asked.
Another question, semi unrelated, but maybe some of y'all are more financially adept than I am. I am going into a post-baccalaureate program this fall that is being financed entirely through loans. The School has offered 12.5 k in un-sub federal loans, and I applied and was approved for another 10k from Sallie Mae. Right now I am trying to figure out if its a better idea to finance the remaining 12.5 from Sallie Mae as well or if its smarter to diversify my lenders and get it from another company, like Wells Fargo for example.
Do schools normally have a countdown clock on secondaries lol? I applied to the University of Kansas
All three UC's I've received secondaries for have a 30 day countdown clock.Do schools normally have a countdown clock on secondaries lol? I applied to the University of Kansas
Oh, my apologies, I've yet to encounter that. I'd say its uncommon but I'm so far behind in my secondaries who knows....please sendNot days. It's time. Like 10 minutes just ticking down

I just ****ed up my primary so![]()
All three UC's I've received secondaries for have a 30 day countdown clock.
Which UC's have given out secondaries? Still waiting to hear back from UCSD and UCLA.
I've received secondaries from UCR, UCD, and UCI. I'm also waiting for SD LA and SF. I briefly looked on the school specific threads, and of the three only UCSF has sent secondary invites. It also appears UCSF invites sent out thus far is for the MTSP program only. Meh. I figure the longer it takes for me to get secondaries, the more time I have to catch up.
I forgot all my coursework for my undergradUh oh, what happended?

I'm actually baffled I forgot something like that. I'm real hurt lol
Thank you, thank you. Likewise I wish you (and everyone else here!) all the best this cycle. Yeah we did talk about it, seems like such a long time ago haha boy time sure does fly by. I feel you, we can only write so fast before compromising quality.Oh wow, okay cool! Good luck with those institutions 🙂 I'm guessing you're a Cali native [pretty sure we've had this discussion back on page three of this thread, lol]! And amen to that - I'm currently drowning and not sure if I'm going to be able to abide to my goal of a two week turn around on a lot of these :/
I'm just blown I'm just now realizing this. But thank god it isHoping it all works out! At least it's still relatively early in the process not September lol
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.