Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by azolesoul, Apr 18, 2017.

1. teeayejay

Medical Student
    @FlyMissMD93

That was a VERY important point that I overlooked - start on working on that now. Unless you're used to being the only minority in the room, you will have challenging moments where it's very apparent that you're different and it can be confidence killer. Learn to make peace and accept who you are. Know that you're capable and are there for a reason 1) to become the best damn doctor you can and 2) show other that competence and intelligence comes in various forms

Edit: wow, a lot of typos haha - gotta stop day drinking *joke*

#1901 teeayejay, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. O.T.I.

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Spot on.

outofmxnyone, FlyMissMD93 and lenspx like this.
  4. FlyMissMD93

FlyMissMD93 SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

teeayejay and O.T.I. like this.
  5. PrayForMe0533

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, I'm a Biochem major. I had to work full time throughout college so I didn't manage my time well. Hopefully, this coming cycle works out so I don't have to take a SMP/$$$ I don't have.

outofmxnyone likes this.
  6. pramsotingz

Anyone know of an NHSC scholarship recipient to answer some questions I have about the program?

For those curious: Home

7. Aspiring4MD

Pre-Medical
    I
    I’m applying, too! Good luckkkkl!!
    Also, I had lots of questions, but I read the ENTIRE application guide, and all of them were answered.

pramsotingz likes this.
  8. CandH23

Pre-Medical
    Ayo I'm just gonna say this thread has quite a few people who are real willing to spend time in giving people(strangers at that) advice.
    I appreciate yall

9. Sidthekiddd

Hi guys! I have a question. Would you choose a school that gave you a full scholarship that has history of being a hostile enviroment for URM but has sooo much opportunity orrrrr take loans to go to a school that you know will make the extra effort to make sure those hostilities are minimum and has equal opportunity.

I'm interested to hearing from anyone, especially current students.

10. FlyMissMD93

That’s a tough one. Just for some clarification for the first school, can you elaborate why the school is a hostile environment for URMs? I personally value being in an environment that is supportive of me and helping me succeed. Obviously on the road to becoming a doctor, we URM have to be privy to different forms of overt and covert racism from people around us so maybe being in an environment that augments that could be detrimental to mental health and well-being. But money is definitely important as well...have you tried to leverage more money from the other school?

11. ADSigMel

I’m just a lowly M0, but I don’t think I’ve ever been to a school that’s particularly URM-friendly. It’s never bothered me. I go to the places that are best-equipped to get me to where I need to go. But I’m also not the kind of person who requires “nurturing” or “support” or the other things that HBCUs or other URM-friendly schools are known to provide. So, for me, it’s not so much about the scholarship (although there’s a lot I would put up with for a full ride) as it is about being at a school with excellent research and networking opportunities. As long as nobody is physically injuring me, I can deal with a hostile environment. “Hostile environment” is also pretty subjective. Some people are not as easily offended as others.

Serine Minor and O.T.I. like this.
  12. O.T.I.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you go to a school with opportunity, you can develop measure to make the school more URM-friendly. It gives you more opportunity to do more in that school.

Sidthekiddd, lenspx and Serine Minor like this.
  13. teeayejay

Medical Student
    This is where you have to search your own soul. You need to look at the circumstances surrounding your current success. In retrospect, were you in a very nurturing environment? Did it have a large impact on your success to date? Were you a super resilient person who didn't require a lot? Are you okay with possibly only having one or two close friends for support and you go about your business otherwise? Do you have a strong support group outside of medicine (fam, friends, etc)? Are you driven only by specialty interest and career success?

All of these and more are very important questions that you have to tease out so that you can rank what's most important to you. I purposely chose a more difficult route for myself because I needed that growth, personally and professionally. I also knew that I would be able to handle the worst-case scenario. At the same time, I also didn't choose THE most difficult option I had haha. One school in particular would have likely driven me up the wall now that I look back on it.

Medical school is hard not just because of the curriculum but it's a whole lifestyle adjustment. Put yourself in a place that you know you can succeed but also make sure there's growth.

Edit: That full scholarship ain't nun to play with though..........

14. Sidthekiddd

During second look, I spoke to a student who was more or less part of the welcome commitee and they literally went on a lowkey racist rant and afterwards I turned to an URM potential student that had experience with the school and she said "Welcome to x school"

Also, an alumni student told me her experience as starting in a class of 10 black students and only graduating with 3 due to negative experiences with faculty and students. She believes the hostile environment hindered her and others professionally (although this was 10+ years ago)

I have tried leveraging, unfortunately it was not that successful

Good point. I've thought about this.

Thank you so much for this. I've never been in a really URM friendly/nurturing environment and I have survived.. I've actually thrived. However, I did have an external support system (family and friends) and now that I'm going to a completely new place and hearing what the alumni had to say about the school, I'm worried that I might need more support than I thought. Everyone speaks about so much adjustment in medical school from the way you did things before to having to figure it out again. Since med school is a completely different ball game, Im not completely sure that my track record and what I've done in the past will be enough to help me in the next stage and that's what worries me.

CUatthefinishline likes this.
  15. O.T.I.

That makes sense. I'm glad your feelings are coming out of a well-thought out place. I would say that (for me, anyway) I am in an environment that is completely different from what I'm used to (call it culture shock, if you will) and I've done ok. In reality, all I needed is one or two good people to stick with. I would say, before you decide, use the time around second look to scope out not only the school, but the area locally. For me, church was a giant support system, and I found a branch of my church here, which made all the difference. Also, talk to that URM potential (if you have her contact) about her thoughts about attending. Also, if possible, ask admissions to be put in contact with the URM students and faculty there so that you have links even before you step on campus. This will definitely help you have the components of the support system you need. If there is a component of your normal support system (blood relatives aside) that you might miss being there, ask admissions (or the URM staff/students there) for how they gain that or if you can be connected to it locally. I hope this helps.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Nathan17182

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    I am kinda on the other end of what everyone is saying. I think you should go to the place that you know you thrive at, be supported at, and will be happy at. Yes, going to the other school will save you some money, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much money. You just have to decide how important whether or not you have to live cheaply for a few years to pay off loans is. I really think you should follow your heart and wherever you'll be happy. If you can be happy at the first school then great, if not I would chose the second school. Being unhappy for 4 years is not worth scholarship money in my mind.

18. Sidthekiddd

This was some solid advice. I'm going to use it. Thank you so much!!!

O.T.I. likes this.
  19. O.T.I.

Anytime!

Sidthekiddd likes this.
  20. teeayejay

Medical Student
    But issa full-ride haha. Medschool is a LOT of money. The cost itself is already a lot but then to add on interest that you have to pay?

I think I could make it work for 4 years if I could come out on the other side and not be in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. It's going to take a minimum of 10 years to get rid of it if you qualify for loan forgiveness and if even still exists.

I know medschool is a major step but again, it's just a step - you have so much more to accomplish. Sometimes you gotta look ahead and look out for your future self lol

#1918 teeayejay, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  21. Ari77

Pre-Medical
    I'm totally with you on the money thing. When I read the other post about it not being that expensive in the grand scheme of things I had a little chuckle to myself... I guess that's all relative though lol. Picking a school is a tough decision and everyone has given excellent advice. If it were me, I would take the full ride and run with it, but I know I can survive/thrive in potentially hostile environments. It all comes down to individual abilities and how much the ideal medical school experience matters to you.

22. MindyLahiriWannabee

Pre-Medical
    This
    interest is not a joke y'all. A full scholarship should def make you pause. Coming out with minimal to no debt will change your life. Especially if you already have debt from undergrad

23. choc_ginger

Pre-Medical
    how did you find sample secondary questions?

24. CandH23

Pre-Medical
    @Sidthekiddd Don't turn down a full ride to medical school. Please. Idk where this place is but an hostile environment does sound a little scary to be honest, but I'd say gauge that intensity of "hostile" and if its low, run to the money.
    Having financial peace in the most expensive professional school there is will make your life so much easier.
    Congratulations!

Shotapp, teeayejay and Sidthekiddd like this.
  25. Orthopedics101

Classifieds Approved

26. FlyMissMD93

Just to clarify with the April 30 deadline, if we have one acceptance but multiple waitlists, can we still stay on the waitlists to see what the final outcome is if we haven't been accepted off the waitlist before April 30?

27. DocAfri

Pre-Medical
    Yes, I’m 90% sure

FlyMissMD93 and Nathan17182 like this.
  28. Sidthekiddd

Yupp!

29. xochitl

Just a question for everyone really, how much extra debt would you be willing to take on to go to a school you liked more or was ranked higher or because you would rather live in California than some place like Wisconsin for example. Im currently dealing with this issue but I dont want it to be about my options, it is more of a hypothetical or based on your current choices. (ps im sure Wisconsin is great lol)

30. Sidthekiddd

I've been advised to not let a difference up to 10,000 a year prevent me from going to a school I preferred

31. teeayejay

Medical Student
    No rhyme or reason to my answer but I would probably stay around the 10-30k range. 50k difference is when I'm definitely like nah, I'm good haha

CUatthefinishline and xochitl like this.
  32. xochitl

you mean 50k per year or 50k for the total debt at the end with interest?

33. climbup22

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone! I'm working on a final essay for a sociology class on inequality. As someone also URM, I was hoping to get a few additional perspectives on race/ethnicity experiences on SDN .

If you're comfortable answering just three short questions (should take max 5 minutes) - please like this post and I can inbox you!

34. greysloan03

Hi guys! I have a lot of questions about being an URM pre-med and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to PM me to hear my story and offer me advice? Especially anyone that's gotten into Top 30 medical schools. It would be greatly appreciated.

35. O.T.I.

Send me your details!

36. Sidthekiddd

feel free to message me

37. Nathan17182

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Sure

38. Orthopedics101

Classifieds Approved

Finally decided on the school I will be attending in the fall and just withdrew from all my other schools. Feels so surreal.

39. Sir Alanna Trebond

Same! Today, it feels like my application cycle is finally over. I've spent over a year of my life applying, what with putting together my letters of recommendation, writing my PS, filling out AMCAS, writing secondaries, interviewing...

And today, that's all done.

40. Inakidba

lmao at my interview date my school had like 3 black people talk to me and I was like "wow must be hella diverse if all these URMs got time to spare with me". After finally looking at acceptance demographics and the facebook group, little did I know that I was talking to 80% of URMs within a mile radius. BIG adcom finesse

41. ADSigMel

I felt like one school in particular practically shoved all their black students down my throat, both at the interview and at second look. It was like they thought I wanted to go to an HBCU and they were trying to fool me into thinking they were one. Felt kind of weird and awkward, honestly.

42. UnmarkedTrail

Just got the call, accepted. Finally all my hard work has paid off!! Just one more school to hear from.

43. Ari77

Pre-Medical
    Really happy for all of you! Hopefully I'll get a bit of love as well :)

44. BurntFlower

Accepted today from the waitlist at Wayne State University!!!!! :highfive::hardy::love:

Keep strong, my fellow waitlisters!

teeayejay, Anime, Inakidba and 26 others like this.
  45. scaryTerry

Pre-Medical
    Hi guy,

I know this is the forum for the previous cycle, Im just looking to see if I can post my stats here for some general advice on where I stand. I am AA male 25 yrs old. 3.56 GPA, 3.53 sGPA. I have decent EC including, volunteering, ER scribe, 1 year of research, TA, science tutor for middle school and high school students. I also have a strong letter or rec from my university's pre-med committee. Just your overall generic applicant with these stats; but my biggest hurdle is the MCAT. 489 the first time, 492 the second time and 498 on the third :/. I have been studying again for it but I just have a hard time breaking 500 on my practice exams; especially with CARS. I don't feel confident this time around either. So I am unsure if I will actually take it again. What do you guys think? I have any chance at any school?? DO school? I am not sure what to do at this point. Thanks!!

outofmxnyone likes this.
  46. lenspx

Pre-Medical
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend taking the MCAT a 4th time until you feel ready to make a big improvement from your last one. Medical school admissions are becoming more and more competitive every year, so please take as much time as necessary to work on this. But I must say, I have taken the MCAT 5 times myself (18, 487, 492, 500, 499). My cumulative and sGPA were 3.7+, but with English being my second language, I've always struggled in the CARS section as well. Honestly, around August last year, I thought that I was going to have to go to a Caribbean Med school, but because I'm also stubborn and persistent, I applied last cycle anyway (6 MDs, 26 DOs, and SGU in the Caribbean). Despite the odds, I lended 14 interview invites (12 DOs, 1 MD in-state, and SGU), only attended 6 (4 DO, 1 MD, SGU), and to my greatest surprise I got 2 DO acceptances. SGU also accepted me, but I dropped that immediately obviously. This is to say that I was in your place last year, and I know how depressing it can be, but I made it on the other side because I wasn't willing to give up even if that meant going to an island. Maybe the schools liked my GPAs, or maybe my ECs, but now I also know they liked my effort and resilience. On accepted student day, one of the faculty members at the school I'm going to attend this Fall approached me specifically and said "I remember reviewing your application, and the first thing that came to mind was this guys doesn't have any quit in him". I had never been so proud of constantly pushing forward since I immigrated in the US 7 years ago. But that also might have something to do with my personal experience with poverty, natural disasters, and horrible healthcare growing up in my original country which is the reason I'm pursuing a medical career in the first place. Anyway, whatever it takes, you must keep pushing forward and don't ever look back at your past mistakes because they will only slow you down. Stay motivated, be persistent, and be confident in your ability to get past this and make it in medical school. Your effort will be rewarded.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

#1944 lenspx, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  47. scaryTerry

Pre-Medical
    @lenspx
    Hey man, that's really great news. I am really happy to hear that you found success. I know my MCAT score is really holding me back, but I just don't feel that I have it in me to retake it. I work 50+ hours overnight which leaves me with very little study time. Maybe if I apply very very early I will have a shot somewhere. It really does not matter which school as long as its in the US.

outofmxnyone and lenspx like this.
  48. lenspx

Pre-Medical
    If your 498 is well-balanced (no section score lower than 123), and if you have good GPAs (preferably 3.65+ for both), you might have a chance like I did especially at the newer DO and in-state schools. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

mscarolina and outofmxnyone like this.
  49. tekkenman11

This basically describes my outlook on life. In an ideal world we would all love to attend super diverse schools but that’s not reality. Although I do think many are making a conscious effort to reflect their surroundings, so I think the OP will be fine in the long run.

FlyMissMD93 likes this.
  50. Phantomrih

Pre-Medical
    anyone get in here with a 2.9 science, 510 MCAT, and 3.4 cumulative? And which schools if you don't mind me asking. Asking for a friend applying soon. Thanks!

51. Ari77

Pre-Medical
    Hey all. After finally getting down to studying for the MCAT (for the umpteenth time) I check my email this morning to find I have been accepted to medical school. It's been the dream for so long I don't even know how to process this information. Thank you all for your support throughout this process, it's kept me sane. Luv you all :)

52. CUatthefinishline

Pre-Medical
    I am sooooooo happy for you! Congratulations!

DocAfri, Nathan17182 and Ari77 like this.