**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To be frank and maybe a little harsh, you will NOT be able to match into any neuro residences if you go to SGU or any other Caribbean school for that matter. You WILL be accepted to SGU, I can tell you that 100%, but it won't matter because either you will likely not do well at SGU or you won't be able to match when the time comes. People have told you over and over again that doing a PhD will not help your application because your uGPA and MCAT are the issue, not your research experience. I hate to see that you are going to be making the wrong choice because you want to be a doctor so bad. If you do a DIY post-bacc, get good grades (All A's ideally), and retake the MCAT and get a good score - you will be rewarded with acceptances to DO school and maybe even MD school. I wish you the best with everything but it's so aggravating to see you ask for advice from people, but not take any of it and then believe you'll the exception to the Caribbean rule.

You know what, I’m so sick of all you guys! What makes you think I couldn’t excel academically at SGU?

A PhD will most certainly be an asset. I’m not taking undergrad courses because I already have a Bachelors( i.e. I’m not making a sucker move). Wouldn't a post-bacc just be padding my GPA while graduate work is certainly more difficult and indicative of academic prowess? Your logic and the general logic here is weak. In addition, you're not a PD so how do YOU know that neuro is impossible?

FOH

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can't save everyone
Some people can't be saved
Some people don't want to be saved

Medical School at SGU (A blog by a former student detailing SGU's conditions and tactics with subpar facilities and grading tactics to keep the money rolling in but making sure many fail along the way.

Reactions: 6 users
You can't save everyone
Some people can't be saved
Some people don't want to be saved

Medical School at SGU (A blog by a former student detailing SGU's conditions and tactics with subpar facilities and grading tactics to keep the money rolling in but making sure many fail along the way.

Purely anecdotal. I know I have what it takes to excel yet you guys all share one contrarion mindset. Just because people tell you that the US is a bastion of education, you shouldn't be swayed so easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what, I’m so sick of all you guys! What makes you think I couldn’t excel academically at SGU?

A PhD will most certainly be an asset. I’m not taking undergrad courses because I already have a Bachelors( i.e. I’m not making a sucker move). Wouldn't a post-bacc just be padding my GPA while graduate work is certainly more difficult and indicative of academic prowess? Your logic and the general logic here is weak. In addition, you're not a PD so how do YOU know that neuro is impossible?

FOH
A lot of adcoms don't think much of Graduate GPA because it is thought (by no means do I believe this to be true everywhere) that graduate grades are inflated. I don't remember what you said your MCAT was but honestly, the adcoms have also been fairly successful in drawing predictions to how you will score on the boards based off of it. That's not to say people can't do better than predicted but it's just not as common.

Unfortunately we don't know you well enough to speak to your specific case but the general rule is you won't match into any competitive residencies from the Caribbean. That's not to say that it hasn't happened before, but it will always be an uphill battle from matriculation on. Because we don't know your specific case, perhaps speaking to your schools academic/premed advisors would be more beneficial. We can only advise on what we know and although you plan to be the exception, we have not been exposed to those circumstances and therefore have no base of knowledge on which we can build, and therefore cannot encourage you to make this decision.

Reactions: 1 user

FOH

You are continuously posting saying that you have no idea what to do and everyone is telling you what to do and you will not listen.

A large percentage of students who attend Caribbean school are not successful, so much so that Caribbean schools do not release all their stats about students. That alone should alarm you and and keep you from Caribbean schools. What makes you think that you will fair better that most students who go to Caribbean schools? If you struggled at all during undergrad, then you will struggle in medical school as well, and being at a Caribbean school will only exacerbate that.

You refusing to take undergraduate courses because you have a bachelors is you being stubborn. How is it a "sucker move"? If an applicant does not have a strong uGPA they either do an SMP, a post-bacc program, or a DIY post-bacc. YES, a post-bacc pads your uGPA because you need to increase your GPA. Multiple adcoms on here have said that gGPA does not hold the same weight as uGPA. While yes, graduate courses cover more difficult and advanced material, it is common knowledge that most graduate courses are graded significantly easier than undergraduate courses. Most graduate students have 4.0's because of that. As an anecdotal story, last semester I took a graduate level Endocrine System course and 45% of the class got an A, 40% got a B, 10% got a C, and 5% got an A. You do not see those numbers in undergraduate courses.

You're calling my logical and the general logic weak simply because you do not agree with it. The stats have been posted in this thread before showing that IMG's do not fair well when it comes to matching. Yes, I am not a PD, but the matching stats and the surveys asking PD's what they think of IMG's do not lie and show exactly what I have said.

You are obviously passionate about becoming a doctor, so I just don't understand why you are so unwilling to do a post-bacc when so many other applicants have done it before and had success with it. Doing a post-bacc will take less time than a PhD and will raise your uGPA which is one of two things holding you back. If you want to do research and go into industry or academia, then a PhD is perfect for you and you already have an acceptance - go do that! But if you want to become a physician, getting a PhD will not help you - if you were to get anything less than a 4.0 it might even hurt you. Stop getting so defensive with people giving you advice (there's no need to say FOH lmao)

Reactions: 1 users
You are continuously posting saying that you have no idea what to do and everyone is telling you what to do and you will not listen.

A large percentage of students who attend Caribbean school are not successful, so much so that Caribbean schools do not release all their stats about students. That alone should alarm you and and keep you from Caribbean schools. What makes you think that you will fair better that most students who go to Caribbean schools? If you struggled at all during undergrad, then you will struggle in medical school as well, and being at a Caribbean school will only exacerbate that.

You refusing to take undergraduate courses because you have a bachelors is you being stubborn. How is it a "sucker move"? If an applicant does not have a strong uGPA they either do an SMP, a post-bacc program, or a DIY post-bacc. YES, a post-bacc pads your uGPA because you need to increase your GPA. Multiple adcoms on here have said that gGPA does not hold the same weight as uGPA. While yes, graduate courses cover more difficult and advanced material, it is common knowledge that most graduate courses are graded significantly easier than undergraduate courses. Most graduate students have 4.0's because of that. As an anecdotal story, last semester I took a graduate level Endocrine System course and 45% of the class got an A, 40% got a B, 10% got a C, and 5% got an A. You do not see those numbers in undergraduate courses.

You're calling my logical and the general logic weak simply because you do not agree with it. The stats have been posted in this thread before showing that IMG's do not fair well when it comes to matching. Yes, I am not a PD, but the matching stats and the surveys asking PD's what they think of IMG's do not lie and show exactly what I have said.

You are obviously passionate about becoming a doctor, so I just don't understand why you are so unwilling to do a post-bacc when so many other applicants have done it before and had success with it. Doing a post-bacc will take less time than a PhD and will raise your uGPA which is one of two things holding you back. If you want to do research and go into industry or academia, then a PhD is perfect for you and you already have an acceptance - go do that! But if you want to become a physician, getting a PhD will not help you - if you were to get anything less than a 4.0 it might even hurt you. Stop getting so defensive with people giving you advice (there's no need to say FOH lmao)
Don't feed the troll! Everyone can't be saved.

Reactions: 9 users
This is a quote from Goro on the thread "What's it take to get banned from SDN?"
Another phenotype displayed is a person coming here looking for affirmation of their notions (like the thread above given as an example). The poster doesn't get the answer he's looking for, and immediately lashes out at people giving realistic advice. Or, the poster starts to argue against reason, and then lashes out.
Please don't be that person who lashes out at others trying to help out (i.e. help you plan a career as a neurologist). It'll avoid a ban but more importantly it will show courtesy. An important part of being a physician or a scientist is being open to being wrong. Obviously all of us are capable of making errors in judgement, but a good rule of thumb is to trust or at least heed advice if multiple people are telling you the same thing, especially adcoms. Yeah, the advice you are getting now is harsh, but understand they've been trying to give you the same advice multiple times and STILL care about your desire to become a neurologist enough to leave a long post.

Best wishes, whichever path you take. We're just trying to look out for pitfalls you might encounter in the long-term.

Last edited:
So did anyone see black panther yet? I saw it last night and it was absolutely amazing to have a super hero movie with black leads. I literally have never seen so many black people at a theater before lol. Everyone should go see it and take a break from this cycle!

Reactions: 15 users
So did anyone see black panther yet? I saw it last night and it was absolutely amazing to have a super hero movie with black leads. I literally have never seen so many black people at a theater before lol. Everyone should go see it and take a break from this cycle!

I’m going tomorrow and have heard nothing but great things! I’m excited!

Reactions: 2 users
I saw it on Thursday. My God. What a time to be alive!!! I am itching to see it again already. I pretty much have to because I missed the scenes at the end of the movie.

Members don't see this ad :)

I saw it yesterday with my girl. My God, it was so good lol! I need to see it again

Reactions: 3 users
Went to see it with all the black students in my class lol it was fun we had a great time

Oh by the way Current M1 at UAMS got accepted to 2 other schools NYITCOM and ARCOM applied 2 Times

FOH
Dude to be honest, why do you want to wait 6 Years after finishing a PHD to start med school even if the doctorate was an asset to get in. That’s like the most roundabout way getting into med school. I feel like you would be making it harder than it needs to be. Why not just retake the mcat and do a few UG upper levels and increase ECs. If anything, retake the mcat. How is that not much less strenuous on your life compared to moving to Grenada or shorter than completing a PhD?

Yes, on the surface it sounds like a PhD would be dope to have to apply to med school but apparently that’s not how it works. They are two different careers altogether. From someone who performed less than stellar in UG which wasnt representative of my true ability, I believe that you have the power to excel at SGU. But the ability to flip your behavior to a 180 at a school that isn’t known to graduate a large part of its students seems illogical. You talk about needing $ but what if SGU doesn’t work out and your in super debt? The tuition there excluding living costs isn’t cheap, it’s like 276k for the 4 Years.

To be honest, the people here don’t even know you but are trying to help you out (as SDN probably helped them) even if it seems hive mind to be against the carribbean schools. You should consider the majority opinion unless you have strong evidence against it. Anyways, you can look up the match list for SGU 2017 graduating class and determine if neuro is possible for you, I just took a look myself.

Last edited:
Thanks for stopping by to say hello! How has M1 been treating you?
So far so good passed my all my classes so far struggled in anatomy biochemistry and hematology/oncology was doable in immunology class now have a test on Tuesday don’t no how I feel about it yet just seems like a lot new concepts and no Foundation not to mention professors aren’t that concise but thank god for other resources

So far so good passed my all my classes so far struggled in anatomy biochemistry and hematology/oncology was doable in immunology class now have a test on Tuesday don’t no how I feel about it yet just seems like a lot new concepts and no Foundation not to mention professors aren’t that concise but thank god for other resources
Sorry I typed that kind of weird I only struggled in anatomy so far. Biochem and hemoc classes were fair

Awesome!! Was anatomy hard because of all of the information? Does being in lab and working with cadavers help with consolidating the information better?

Awesome!! Was anatomy hard because of all of the information? Does being in lab and working with cadavers help with consolidating the information better?
Anatomy was time consuming you’re working on a body donor for hours and sometimes depending on your body donor you could be working with no reward. So basically I wasted 4 hours out of my day dissecting if I could do it again I just would’ve followed professors around more often to look at better looking donors it would’ve saved me a lot of time. But short answer NO sometimes I ended up more confused than ever because you look at your dissector and your books just to get in lab and see something that looks less than ideal. For example (true story) the Breast you would think would be easy to identify anatomy is pretty simple. I see mines everyday nice drawing in the atlas on the practical a suspensory ligament was tagged I didn’t even know I was looking at Breast (would it help if I told you it was disconnected from it’s owner) As for class test a lot of relationship questions. “Which artery/nerve go over or under blah blah blah” or my favorite “a person gets shot in the back at the club on his left side.....” I was caught off guard completely. Spending more time in the lab looking at MANY nice looking donors helped with practical (saves time if you go with group of people) As for class test I never completely figured it out I just studied and hoped for the best but I passed that’s all that matters at this point.

Are you guys sending your FAFSA to the schools you are waitlisted at?

Oh then definitely, I would start studying now if I wanted to take it in May.
I guess the question now is whether a retake is going to offer any rewards in the long run. Will have to meet with a premed advisor and see... may be time to call it and plan for something else

Wow... just got my first II today. I had completely given up hope lol

Reactions: 22 users
Accepted to Duke Med last Friday.

Reactions: 16 users
Does anyone know what typically happens at second look days?

Does anyone know what typically happens at second look days?

I think you just get showered with attention from the school and learn about what the next year is going to look like. Its a good time to learn about program and other opportunities, get to know the faculty on a more personal level, and definitely connect with your potential classmates. I think some of them have happy hours or city tours. Just a lot of fun and socializing I think.

I could be completely wrong...

I think you just get showered with attention from the school and learn about what the next year is going to look like. Its a good time to learn about program and other opportunities, get to know the faculty on a more personal level, and definitely connect with your potential classmates. I think some of them have happy hours or city tours. Just a lot of fun and socializing I think.

I could be completely wrong...

Do you know if significant others(married) are allowed to come along? And is this normal?

Do you know if significant others(married) are allowed to come along? And is this normal?

I don’t think they would participate in the activities though. Like maybe going out after, but not the organized stuff.

I don’t think they would participate in the activities though. Like maybe going out after, but not the organized stuff.
I had a friend who’s married and she took her husband to second look. They’re allowed to come to events. It’s no different than when you were in college and prospective freshman had visiting days in the spring before deciding to go where to go.

Get a rejection letter and SGU ads start popping up ;_;

I think that they pop up regardless. They must have access AMCAS to see who is in the system for medical school applicants. Have you received any of the Podiatry school e-mails? :D I guess it's nice to have options. But I have met many re-applicants out on the interview trail. I have also met many current medical students who applied more than once, before gaining an acceptance. It's possible!

Reactions: 5 users
Don't count yourself out of the running just yet, but do plan ahead. And I've gotten so many google ads for Lecturio and Caribbean med schools because of my internet activity, lol. I know you're probably kidding, but you only see the Caribbean ads because they are for-profit, kind of like why you see DeVry ads way more than you see most college ads.

Don't get me started about the emails. Getting constant emails from Duke NUS college and Mt Sinai's Medical Science PhD programs as applicants to both med schools was frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Are the HBCU medical schools only fond of the black students who are low SES and apply disadvantaged...?

Are the HBCU medical schools only fond of the black students who are low SES and apply disadvantaged...?

I am black, low SES, and applied disadvantaged. I got rejected from Morehouse, and am in silence with Meharry. If they are fond of applicants like me, they must've brushed over my app haha

I am black, low SES, and applied disadvantaged. I got rejected from Morehouse, and am in silence with Meharry. If they are fond of applicants like me, they must've brushed over my app haha
Lol same here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Guys, what are your thoughts for housing in med school? I lived in dorms my first 2 years of college, and the last 2 years I lived in a 4 bedroom apartment with 3 good friends. I am starting to look at housing, but I am not sure if I should look for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. I am not sure if I want to live completely alone, yet, but I have never lived with a stranger. Any input?

Guys, what are your thoughts for housing in med school? I lived in dorms my first 2 years of college, and the last 2 years I lived in a 4 bedroom apartment with 3 good friends. I am starting to look at housing, but I am not sure if I should look for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. I am not sure if I want to live completely alone, yet, but I have never lived with a stranger. Any input?
I'm going to try the one bedroom setting for now (at least for my first year) because I know I won't want to be distracted or disturbed by other people while in medical school either. Then once I get the feel of things, I'll see if I want to go cheaper or not.

I am gonna live with other people. I lived in dorms my freshman year with a random, was an RA sophomore, and had random people in apartments the last two years. So I am kinda used to living with new people. It seems like everyone meets their roommates during second look. So I am heading to second look with that in mind. I think it would just be nice to have people around who know what you're going through and can study together when we want.

I'm going to try the one bedroom setting for now (at least for my first year) because I know I won't want to be distracted or disturbed by other people while in medical school either. Then once I get the feel of things, I'll see if I want to go cheaper or not.

I am gonna live with other people. I lived in dorms my freshman year with a random, was an RA sophomore, and had random people in apartments the last two years. So I am kinda used to living with new people. It seems like everyone meets their roommates during second look. So I am heading to second look with that in mind. I think it would just be nice to have people around who know what you're going through and can study together when we want.

These are LITERALLY the two scenarios in my head!! Like do I want to be alone with no distractions, or live with like minded individuals?? I like the second look idea! Maybe then, I'll see if I meet people who I click with and go from there. Thanks a lot!!

These are LITERALLY the two scenarios in my head!! Like do I want to be alone with no distractions, or live with like minded individuals?? I like the second look idea! Maybe then, I'll see if I meet people who I click with and go from there. Thanks a lot!!
Have you ever moved somewhere where you knew no one else? I find it can be extremely lonely so for that reason I always try to live with others in my first year in another city/country. It has for the most part worked for me but I am also very easy going and able to live with almost any personality.