**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Additionally, I’m considering an MPH- would this be helpful?
In addition to everything else you have planned? It won't hurt, but it may not help much either.

Members don't see this ad.

Additionally, I’m considering an MPH- would this be helpful?

No, it won’t. Just focus on acing your post bac and your MCAT retake.

Also, take this with a grain of salt, my personal opinion is if you’re working or doing anything that will stop you from giving your courses your undivided attention I think you should decrease your units by at least one class. Your postbac gpa needs to be sky high so I personally wouldn’t take many risks. (I’m definitely not saying to take 1 course each term).

Reactions: 2 users
No, it won’t. Just focus on acing your post bac and your MCAT retake.

Also, take this with a grain of salt, my personal opinion is if you’re working or doing anything that will stop you from giving your courses your undivided attention I think you should decrease your units by at least one class. Your postbac gpa needs to be sky high so I personally wouldn’t take many risks. (I’m definitely not saying to take 1 course each term).

So, if I did an MPH( no postbacc) and retook the MCAT(high score), this wouldn’t help? I only ask because I am interested in epidemiology and this route would be more challenging and more streamlined.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if I did an MPH( no postbacc) and retook the MCAT(high score), this wouldn’t help? I only ask because I am interested in epidemiology and this route would be more challenging and more streamlined.

NOOOOO.

A higher MCAT will help regardless, yes, but YOU need to boost your undergrad gpa and grad classes will not help. Look, you agonized over your next steps and you finally solidified a good plan. There’s no need to go back to square one with all the possible roads to take.

I’m going to be blunt, in regard to your goal of matriculating to Med school, it doesn’t matter that you’re interested in epidemiology right now! Your gpa suggests that you don’t need “more challenging” right now! More streamlined in the sense that it’s more structured than a DIY post bac, but it isn’t streamlined for your goal of being a physician.

Do the postbac! Take only the number of units that you can realistically handle (read: ACE) each term. Use a GPA calculator to determine exactly how many As you need to increase to 3.?? sGPA, bang those courses out and focus on your MCAT retake. That’s it. It’s that simple.

Reactions: 3 users

We have been over this again and again. Only post-bacc work that increases your uGPA will help you. If you want an MPH you can do it during medical school in 4+1 program. You have to get into medical school first. You need to get all A’s in your post bacc work, get a higher MCAT, then once you’re in medical school you can think about other stuff. It’s that simple.

Reactions: 1 users
NOOOOO.

A higher MCAT will help regardless, yes, but YOU need to boost your undergrad gpa and grad classes will not help. Look, you agonized over your next steps and you finally solidified a good plan. There’s no need to go back to square one with all the possible roads to take.

I’m going to be blunt, in regard to your goal of matriculating to Med school, it doesn’t matter that you’re interested in epidemiology right now! Your gpa suggests that you don’t need “more challenging” right now! More streamlined in the sense that it’s more structured than a DIY post bac, but it isn’t streamlined for your goal of being a physician.

Do the postbac! Take only the number of units that you can realistically handle (read: ACE) each term. Use a GPA calculator to determine exactly how many As you need to increase to 3.?? sGPA, bang those courses out and focus on your MCAT retake. That’s it. It’s that simple.

I know the plan is better than some of my other ideas but if I do a DIY post-bacc I can only do like a year of coursework- I may be able to do more but I'd have to really dig to find more science courses. So I should do a year of coursework and then apply to an SMP?

I know the plan is better than some of my other ideas but if I do a DIY post-bacc I can only do like a year of coursework. So I should do a year of coursework and then apply to an SMP?

Who says you can only do a year of course work? Again, bust out a gpa calculator and see how many As you need to get to achieve your goal GPA. What if you only need a year of coursework? If you feel you can only do a year because you're running out of options for classes then I still circle back around to the GPA calculator to see where that would put your sGPA. Maybe that boost will be enough with a higher MCAT. We won't know until you what???? bust out the gpa calculator.

I honestly don't see why a person would need a post bac AND an SMP unless they need to finish pre reqs before the SMP or bombed their post bac. Also, I know the idea of an SMP is thrown around a lot here, but I'm nervous for you when it comes to that because of your gpa. If you can't hack it at an SMP then your chances of matriculating go to like zero.

Who says you can only do a year of course work? Again, bust out a gpa calculator and see how many As you need to get to achieve your goal GPA. What if you only need a year of coursework? If you feel you can only do a year because you're running out of options for classes then I still circle back around to the GPA calculator to see where that would put your sGPA. Maybe that boost will be enough with a higher MCAT. We won't know until you what???? bust out the gpa calculator.

I honestly don't see why a person would need a post bac AND an SMP unless they need to finish pre reqs before the SMP or bombed their post bac. Also, I know the idea of an SMP is thrown around a lot here, but I'm nervous for you when it comes to that because of your gpa. If you can't hack it at an SMP then your chances of matriculating go to like zero.

I’m 26 and I still live at home. Nobody is helping me financially so I can only devote a year to JUST going to class, volunteering and retaking the MCAT(i.e. my money is very finite). Assuming I did really well for a year, I’d be sitting at a 3.4c and 3.2s- If I did well on the MCAT, would I have a chance? The SMP seemed like a good idea because it’d strengthen my application and allow me to move.

I know it SEEMS like I’m a mediocre student but my undergrad GPA is in no way indicative of my ability.

I’m 26 and I still live at home. Nobody is helping me financially so I can only devote a year to JUST going to class, volunteering and retaking the MCAT(i.e. my money is very finite). Assuming I did really well for a year, I’d be sitting at a 3.4c and 3.2s- If I did well on the MCAT, would I have a chance? The SMP seemed like a good idea because it’d strengthen my application and allow me to move.

I know it SEEMS like I’m a mediocre student but my undergrad GPA is in no way indicative of my ability.

Raising your gpa and MCAT can ONLY help your chances.

I believe in you. You got this.

Reactions: 1 user
Raising your gpa and MCAT can ONLY help your chances.

I believe in you. You got this.

I know I can do it but I just don’t know if a year is enough. I’m not trying to be negative but I have to plan realistically. I know I could do a second bachelors (I’d get financial aid and also be improving my grades, etc.). On the other hand, if I raised my GPA a little and hit at least 513 on the MCAT, my LizzyM would hit 65-would this give me a fighting chance? If I did a second bachelors and got the same score, my LizzyM would be 67.

Last edited:
I know I can do it but I just don’t know if a year is enough. I’m not trying to be negative but I have to plan realistically. I know I could do a second bachelors (I’d get financial aid and also be improving my grades, etc.). On the other hand, if I raised my GPA a little and hit at least 513 on the MCAT, my LizzyM would hit 65-would this give me a fighting chance? If I did a second bachelors and got the same score, my LizzyM would be 67.

If you need to do a second bachelors to get your GPA up and to be able to pay for it then that's fine. Your grades matter, it won't matter that you have a second bachelors though. You need to just make sure you're devoting enough time to get all A's in your classes and enough time to studying for the MCAT.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

Looks like that combo would likely put you at or above that national acceptance average. Now get off SDN asking the same questions over and over and go master a MCAT prep book* or two in your time before the semester begins, lol.

*or Khan videos + passages

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, long time looker on this thread. I was just wondering if anyone received an interview or acceptance with a cgpa of 3.2, sgpaand under here. I'm right now at a 3.1 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa and 517 mcat so i'm just looking for some hope :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, long time looker on this thread. I was just wondering if anyone received an interview or acceptance with a cgpa of 3.2, sgpa and under here. I'm right now at a 3.1 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa and 517 mcat so i'm just looking for some hope :)

That MCAT is going to save your ass. So long as you are pretty decent/strong everywhere else in your app, I'd say go ahead and apply this coming cycle. You can't do anything else at this point and a post-bacc would definitely not be worth it.

Sidenote: Yall still playing with Azolesoul?

Reactions: 6 users
That MCAT is going to save your ass. So long as you are pretty decent/strong everywhere else in your app, I'd say go ahead and apply this coming cycle. You can't do anything else at this point and a post-bacc would definitely not be worth it.

QTNA.

Has anyone attended Second Look yet for your schools? How was your experience? Do you think you got a good feel for how your classmates will be?

Eh it only take 2 minutes out of my day to write the same answer I’ve given 10 times. If he finally takes it then it’s worth it, if not I’ve only wasted 20 minutes!

Has anyone attended Second Look yet for your schools? How was your experience? Do you think you got a good feel for how your classmates will be?

Mine is on Thursday and I am so excited. I am going in hoping to friend roommates lol.

If my cgpa and sgpa are about the same as this, why do I need to do so much post-bacc work as opposed to just retaking the MCAT? I'm happy to know that during this season of transition and uncertainty that my upsets were so funny to everyone. I came here looking for help but I see this was stupid of me. How is everyone playing with me?

Thanks a lot guys, it's always nice to be the butt of everyone's joke.

Last edited:
If my cgpa and sgpa are about the same as this, why do I need to do so much post-bacc work as opposed to just retaking the MCAT? I'm happy to know that during this season of transition and uncertainty that my upsets were so funny to everyone.

Thanks a lot guys
Because a 517 in the MCAT is probably harder to do than a post bacc. Just a thought. You should also know that people here are not rooting against you because there's no reason for them to. We only wish you the best, sincerely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Because a 517 in the MCAT is probably harder to do than a post bacc. Just a thought. You should also know that people here are not rooting against you because there's no reason for them to. We only wish you the best, sincerely.

Oh, so I'm not able to get a high score. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Oh, so I'm not able to get a high score. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Lol @azolesoul. Is that really what you got from what I said? Well, if so, I'm sorry for not being clear enough. If you can break the 517-520, go for it. That would be great, and it would be a huge improvement in your app.

If my cgpa and sgpa are about the same as this, why do I need to do so much post-bacc work as opposed to just retaking the MCAT? I'm happy to know that during this season of transition and uncertainty that my upsets were so funny to everyone. I came here looking for help but I see this was stupid of me. How is everyone playing with me?

Thanks a lot guys, it's always nice to be the butt of everyone's joke.

Sign out.

Sign out.

I'd rather not. I'd like to know what teejay meant about everyone "playing with me". This is the only place where I can get advice about this path and it seems like even this isn't true anymore.

I'd rather not. I'd like to know what teejay meant about everyone "playing with me". This is the only place where I can get advice about this path and it seems like even this isn't true anymore.

Think of the impression you’re giving by asking the same questions in different ways 432 times and you’ll understand what he means.

You don’t need any further advice at this point. Finish your post bac and then I imagine you’ll need the MCAT forums and then be in the WAMC threads for a school list.

Don’t be one of those people that waste valuable energy making things unnecessarily difficult. Focus that energy on exactly what it takes to smash your goals.

My last bit of advice: Self care, dude. Take a break from SDN and come back when you have improvements to share.

You pretty much can't accidentally get a 517. You're deficient in both areas. It's easier to explain an isolated low GPA versus a low mcat and/or multiple low mcats...

More direct response. You don't want advice. Why is that I'm logging back in months later and you're still asking the same questions, getting the same responses, and refusing the same advice. Throw the whole account away, you're too much. Lowkey, I should be dragging everybody else on this thread for continuing to respond lmao

Matter of fact, you should just go ahead and apply this cycle. It might be worth your while.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi, long time looker on this thread. I was just wondering if anyone received an interview or acceptance with a cgpa of 3.2, sgpaand under here. I'm right now at a 3.1 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa and 517 mcat so i'm just looking for some hope :)

Got multiple interviews and acceptances with a similar GPA and lower MCAT. You're good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You pretty much can't accidentally get a 517. It's easier to explain a low GPA versus a low mcat and/or multiple low mcats...

More direct response. You don't want advice. Why is that I'm logging back in months later and you're still asking the same questions, getting the same responses, and refusing the same advice. Throw the whole account away, you're too much. Lowkey, I should be dragging everybody else on this thread for continuing to respond lmao

Matter of fact, you should just go ahead and apply this cycle. It might be worth your while.

Really funny man! I do need advice but all the advice I get requires me to spend money I DONT HAVE to take more undergrad courses for a chance to maybe get into medical school. Why is it that someone else with similar stats is told there fine but I suggest retaking the MCAT only and I get dragged? Yes, I want to go to medical school but I wasn't born with money and I still have no money so the idea of an expensive post-bacc is IMPOSSIBLE, point blank.

It's nice to see how funny my very real struggle is to everyone here. What kind of jerk takes pleasure in someone else's suffering? It's nice to know that you can be really smart and still be a garbage person.

"Playing with" you was referring to entertaining your repeated questions, lack of commitment to a plan and desire to take advice that you asked for. People are still very much willing to give you advice, and they have given you a lot of great advice. Repeatedly.

However, you tend to not receive it well and come back with the same questions or flawed thinking. I mean no disrespect, but I have a lot of experience with family members that tend to fixate on one point of their own argument and will not let it go even if/when they ask for advice or to discuss it. It's as if they do not hear anything outside of what specifically pertains to their perspective/opinion and only focus/remember their emotions from these interactions.

I'm not a psychologist/psychiatrist so do not think that I am trying to diagnose you, but someone I love dearly and grew up with has always been like this and was diagnosed with OCD later in life. She's doing better now, but still has relapses and fixates on one idea, ignoring any pleas to reason or deescalate. At times, she just needs to separate herself from the disturbing convo or stimulation (as some others have suggested you disengage from SDN for a while). I see this same pattern in you, and it really worries me. I really hope that you are seeing about your mental well-being. I know there is a ton of stigma about seeing a counselor or psych doc in certain URM communites, but your mind can be a dangerous place if you cannot control your thoughts.

Now, I'm off my soapbox. Sorry everyone. I'll stop.

You pretty much can't accidentally get a 517. You're deficient in both areas. It's easier to explain an isolated low GPA versus a low mcat and/or multiple low mcats...

I cantttttttttttt with you. Drag me. I deserve it.

Nah for real, I didn’t engage last time so I thought I mayyyyyy be able to clarify this go round. We all are really rooting for everyone here, but you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

Reactions: 5 users
Really funny man! I do need advice but all the advice I get requires me to spend money I DONT HAVE to take more undergrad courses for a chance to maybe get into medical school. Why is it that someone else with similar stats is told there fine but I suggest retaking the MCAT only and I get dragged? Yes, I want to go to medical school but I wasn't born with money and I still have no money so the idea of an expensive post-bacc is IMPOSSIBLE, point blank.

It's nice to see how funny my very real struggle is to everyone here. What kind of jerk takes pleasure in someone else's suffering? It's nice to know that you can be really smart and still be a garbage person.

You've already taken the MCAT once with a poor score AND you have a poor GPA. That person knocked it out of the park on their first try. Just because you may do slightly better on your retake doesn't erase the fact that you had to take it twice and don't have a GPA to even justify any of it.

And don't start with this money thing. It's all an investment. I was working at American Eagle, making just a little over minimum wage, living at my aunt's house when I took out loans to do my post-bacc (and no it wasn't just a couple thousand). I then moved halfway across the country on a dream with no certainty that it would pay off.

My sympathy for you has run out. At some point, you must make sacrifices, assume the responsibility, and bust your ass. If this is what you want, then you do what you have to do but you're not going to stalemate us with your questions. This is your life, not ours.

If you absolutely can't get federal or private funding (which is almost impossible), apply anyway this cycle and see what happens.

If you're not successful then maybe you need to take a BIG step back from all of this, take a couple years to get yourself together, and come back and try again. Medical school will be there.

Otherwise, stop asking the same irritating, redundant questions that none of have a definite answer for. This is when people start blowing up on you and then you're sitting there looking all hurt in face like nobody has tried to help you. With this, I wish you the best bro.

Last edited:

I've been to 2 so far and they were both pretty fun. There were a lot of presentations and panels throughout the day which was a little draining but the parts of SLW that I found the most helpful were the social events. There I was able to ask the real questions to the students (like what they didn't like about the school and if they thought administration did a good job supporting students) without worrying about offending any faculty. All in all the SLWs I've been to were dope and I am excited for the other 2 that I have this month.

I’ve given you advice every time I’ve asked and have refrained from making fun of you. But you have to admit, you’re coming here month after month asking the same questions and getting the same answers. That’s questionable behavior.

You need to do a post-bacc. You need to get a high MCAT score. That person already has a 517 which is why he can apply this cycle. You don’t already have a 517. If I was him, I would even try to do a year of post-bacc to get his GPA higher. But the 517 opens doors.

And complaining about money is going to fall on deaf ears. I come from a low-income family which I’m sure is lower income than yours. And you know how I’m going to pay for things? Loans. That’s how every poor person pays for things associated with medical school. Doing a post-bacc is not impossible. You just don’t like the idea of taking undergrad classes when you already graduated. But if you want to go to medical school then you have to do it. Stop complaining about it and just do it. If you do an SMP, it’ll probably cost you even more. We’re all here to help you, we have all given you the same advice, multiple times and we’re TIRED

Reactions: 5 users
Mine is on Thursday and I am so excited. I am going in hoping to friend roommates lol.
I feel you! Have you already somewhat identified people or you're basically starting your hunt for roommates during Second Look?

Hey everyone! I just wanted to check in and say "whaddup!" to y'all. I've decided to make another go for medical school for next year and as such am studying for the MCAT again (BIG SIGH) and hoping to get my score up a bit to a 515. I'm posting as a way to hold myself accountable to this plan as I've been flip flopping between MD and PhD lately (should I do MD/PhD? lol). I know this cycle isn't over yet and I still have my fingers crossed to get off a waitlist, but I think its time I make a commitment to studying for this beast of an exam again. Anyways, I hope to next check in again when I have some good news to share. Thank you for the continued support my fellow URMs :)

Reactions: 10 users
I feel you! Have you already somewhat identified people or you're basically starting your hunt for roommates during Second Look?

Nope, I’m going in completely blind lol. I’m hoping to make the magic connection this weekend lol.

SRY @teeayejay one more one more

@azolesoul I sent you a PM like months ago telling you that I didn't think it'd be all that useful to do a postbac. Retaking undergrad courses is helpful if you graduated years and years ago and your transcript doesn't seem relevant. If you just graduated, all the ad com is going to see is that you took biology and chemistry twice in 5 years and they'll just average the scores together. I've always been in the camp that you needed to find a way to take 3-6 months out of your life to study for the MCAT and only study for the MCAT. Like I'm talking studying is your full time job for a concentrated 3-6 months. Then I can begin to imagine a future where you would actually score above the 90th percentile.

I've said it before and I'll say it one more time. (But fr fr this is the last time so I really hope you read this, internalize it, and go reflect)
As an underrepresented minority in medicine, med schools really want you in their classes. There is a finite number of underrepresented minorities that apply and an even smaller number that are actually qualified to go to med school. There are 3 categories in your app (gpa/mcat, ECs, personal statement/letters of rec) and if you are deficient in 1 you have to make up for it with the other areas. @PrayForMe0533 has a ridiculously high MCAT. This is going to stop med schools from throwing their app into the trash due to GPA cutoffs (actually some med schools will still throw it into the trash because they have overall GPA cut offs of 3.2) The MCAT is the foot in the door to get them looked at as a human being but they better have some solid ECs and a compelling personal statement/paragraph somewhere explaining why their GPA is so low when they clearly understand the principles of basic sciences and can apply them to a rigorous exam.
Bottom line, no one on the ad com is going to think they can't pass exams and STEP 1/don't have a good foundation in the sciences because a 517 is really ****ing hard to do. In fact its so high and so different from their gpa that it makes me think they went to a school that did grade deflation or they were an engineering major or something like that. (congrats and kudos to you @PrayForMe0533 btw)

@azolesoul you scored a 500. That means you are in the 50th percentile. So when I look at your ~3.1gpa and 500 mcat I think you have deficiencies somewhere. Were your score breakdowns 125 across the board or did you get like a 120 in bio and a 127 in psych/soc etc. If you got below 125 in any of the 4 categories that makes things even worse. When screeners look at your app, even if you have the most compelling story in the world (and being born without money is not it, I promise you. There are a lot of people out here that don't have money) you don't have anything to warrant them bringing you in for an interview over another person. That is why you didn't get any interview invites this cycle.

Here is my advice again: if you don't want to do the postbac don't do it. If you don't want to do the SMP don't do it. There are people all over this site, all over this thread that have said they got interviews and accepted with GPAs similar to yours. BUT you better hunker down and get an mcat study schedule that is at least 3 months long and realistically more like 6 months long. You better work your ass off at a job or 2 jobs or whatever it takes to save up 3-6 months of rent/utilities/food so you can study for the mcat 6-8 hours every day. because I promise you if you retake that mcat and you score a 503 or some **** like that you're going to be in the same position. Or really a worse position because you'll be a reapplicant with two low MCAT attempts.

TLDR: targeted 3-6 months of MCAT prep. Score above a 510. When you apply again in June of 2019 (don't you dare apply this cycle) add at lease 5 DO schools to the pile. If you can't get to 510 and/or don't want to wait or consider DO schools...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i don't think you'll have a viable application.
literally there is nothing else I or anyone on this thread can say.

now back to regularly scheduled programming. I'm still waiting on Post-I decisions and it's killing me! I want to know at least 1 week before traffic day so I can think about my options. come on adcommmmmmm

Reactions: 7 users
SRY @teeayejay one more one more

@azolesoul I sent you a PM like months ago telling you that I didn't think it'd be all that useful to do a postbac. Retaking undergrad courses is helpful if you graduated years and years ago and your transcript doesn't seem relevant. If you just graduated, all the ad com is going to see is that you took biology and chemistry twice in 5 years and they'll just average the scores together. I've always been in the camp that you needed to find a way to take 3-6 months out of your life to study for the MCAT and only study for the MCAT. Like I'm talking studying is your full time job for a concentrated 3-6 months. Then I can begin to imagine a future where you would actually score above the 90th percentile.

I've said it before and I'll say it one more time. (But fr fr this is the last time so I really hope you read this, internalize it, and go reflect)
As an underrepresented minority in medicine, med schools really want you in their classes. There is a finite number of underrepresented minorities that apply and an even smaller number that are actually qualified to go to med school. There are 3 categories in your app (gpa/mcat, ECs, personal statement/letters of rec) and if you are deficient in 1 you have to make up for it with the other areas. @PrayForMe0533 has a ridiculously high MCAT. This is going to stop med schools from throwing their app into the trash due to GPA cutoffs (actually some med schools will still throw it into the trash because they have overall GPA cut offs of 3.2) The MCAT is the foot in the door to get them looked at as a human being but they better have some solid ECs and a compelling personal statement/paragraph somewhere explaining why their GPA is so low when they clearly understand the principles of basic sciences and can apply them to a rigorous exam.
Bottom line, no one on the ad com is going to think they can't pass exams and STEP 1/don't have a good foundation in the sciences because a 517 is really ****ing hard to do. In fact its so high and so different from their gpa that it makes me think they went to a school that did grade deflation or they were an engineering major or something like that. (congrats and kudos to you @PrayForMe0533 btw)

@azolesoul you scored a 500. That means you are in the 50th percentile. So when I look at your ~3.1gpa and 500 mcat I think you have deficiencies somewhere. Were your score breakdowns 125 across the board or did you get like a 120 in bio and a 127 in psych/soc etc. If you got below 125 in any of the 4 categories that makes things even worse. When screeners look at your app, even if you have the most compelling story in the world (and being born without money is not it, I promise you. There are a lot of people out here that don't have money) you don't have anything to warrant them bringing you in for an interview over another person. That is why you didn't get any interview invites this cycle.

Here is my advice again: if you don't want to do the postbac don't do it. If you don't want to do the SMP don't do it. There are people all over this site, all over this thread that have said they got interviews and accepted with GPAs similar to yours. BUT you better hunker down and get an mcat study schedule that is at least 3 months long and realistically more like 6 months long. You better work your ass off at a job or 2 jobs or whatever it takes to save up 3-6 months of rent/utilities/food so you can study for the mcat 6-8 hours every day. because I promise you if you retake that mcat and you score a 503 or some **** like that you're going to be in the same position. Or really a worse position because you'll be a reapplicant with two low MCAT attempts.

TLDR: targeted 3-6 months of MCAT prep. Score above a 510. When you apply again in June of 2019 (don't you dare apply this cycle) add at lease 5 DO schools to the pile. If you can't get to 510 and/or don't want to wait or consider DO schools...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i don't think you'll have a viable application.
literally there is nothing else I or anyone on this thread can say.

now back to regularly scheduled programming. I'm still waiting on Post-I decisions and it's killing me! I want to know at least 1 week before traffic day so I can think about my options. come on adcommmmmmm

He should honestly probably be looking at Carrib schools (not trying to be funny or demeaning)

He should honestly probably be looking at Carrib schools (not trying to be funny or demeaning)
I think he still has a good chance at some DO (especially the new DOs) programs with his current stats and that also depends on his ECs and whether or not he can obtain a DO letter. If he can raise his MCAT to a 505, I think he has a great chance with almost all DO schools. This cycle, I got accepted to two DO programs with my 500 MCAT (after 5 attempts) but my GPAs where 3.7+ each. IMO, before anyone consider going to any Caribbean school, they should consider the DO route first.

PS. English is my second language (from Haiti) and I've been living in the US for 7 years during which I obtained 2 bachelor degrees (bio and chem). That being said, the Verbal/CARS section has always kicked my a$$, and this is why I ended up taking the MCAT so many times. Well, in the end it worked out for the best. On accepted student day, one of the professors at the DO program I'm going to attend came directly to me just to say Hi and to mention how he remembers reviewing my application and thinking to himself "this guys has no quit in him". That really made me happy I never gave up or went to Caribbean for that matter.

Last edited:

I'm not going to say it explicitly but you know where you can go and know what you can do. I'm looking into SMPS and afterwards, I'll retake the MCAT. I don't need any of you STUCK UP people looking down your noses at me. I'll be successful, even if none of you believe I will. I'm done with this bs site and you bs people.

Bye!

I'm not going to say it explicitly but you know where you can go and know what you can do. I'm looking into SMPS and afterwards, I'll retake the MCAT. I don't need any of you STUCK UP people looking down your noses at me. I'll be successful, even if none of you believe I will. I'm done with this bs site and you bs people.

Bye!
I am 100 percent certain that if you're determined enough, you will succeed. People didn't think I would make it even in a DO program either after taking the MCAT so many times, but I proved them wrong. Though, I don't think anyone here is looking down at you or don't believe you are capable of making it in medical school. They've actually given you many great advices and never gave up on you even when you kept asking the same questions sometimes. Some (like @Nathan17182) even answered you everytime you come back here for advice. If that's not proof that they believe in you, I don't know what is. And yes, you really need to get off SDN and focus on yourself like everyone has been saying. Stay determined and focused on your goals, I have faith in you, and I believe with hard work, you'll make it eventually. Don't give up my friend, and no matter what anyone tells you, in the end it will be your choices and the decisions you make that will determine your future.

I think he still has a good chance at some DO (especially the new DOs) programs with his current stats and that also depends on his ECs and whether or not he can obtain a DO letter. If he can raise his MCAT to a 505, I think he has a great chance with almost all DO schools. This cycle, I got accepted to two DO programs with my 500 MCAT (after 5 attempts) but my GPAs where 3.7+ each. IMO, before anyone consider going to any Caribbean school, they should consider the DO route first.

PS. English is my second language (from Haiti) and I've been living in the US for 7 years during which I obtained 2 bachelor degrees (bio and chem). That being said, the Verbal/CARS section has always kicked my a$$, and this is why I ended up taking the MCAT so many times. Well, in the end it worked out for the best. On accepted student day, one of the professors at the DO program I'm going to attend came directly to me just to say Hi and to mention how he remembers reviewing my application and thinking to himself "this guys has no quit in him". That really made me happy I never gave up or went to Caribbean for that matter.

First, congrats to you - it sounds like you put in an insane amount of work to get where you are. You're the type of person that medicine needs.

To your post, I agree. It just seemed like he didn't want to go the extra mile, only wanted to apply with his current stats, and wanted us to basically tell him that he should go for it. If that was the case, he should have tried Caribb and that's no shade. I have two friends who are in those programs and I'm very proud of them.

My problem is that I have a bad habit of meeting people where they are. He clearly wasn't being rational so I was done being rational.

Retaking undergrad courses is helpful if you graduated years and years ago and your transcript doesn't seem relevant. If you just graduated, all the ad com is going to see is that you took biology and chemistry twice in 5 years and they'll just average the scores together. I've always been in the camp that you needed to find a way to take 3-6 months out of your life to study for the MCAT and only study for the MCAT. Like I'm talking studying is your full time job for a concentrated 3-6 months. Then I can begin to imagine a future where you would actually score above the 90th percentile.

you scored a 500. That means you are in the 50th percentile. So when I look at your ~3.1gpa and 500 mcat I think you have deficiencies somewhere. Were your score breakdowns 125 across the board or did you get like a 120 in bio and a 127 in psych/soc etc. If you got below 125 in any of the 4 categories that makes things even worse. When screeners look at your app, even if you have the most compelling story in the world (and being born without money is not it, I promise you. There are a lot of people out here that don't have money) you don't have anything to warrant them bringing you in for an interview over another person. That is why you didn't get any interview invites this cycle.

because I promise you if you retake that mcat and you score a 503 or some **** like that you're going to be in the same position. Or really a worse position because you'll be a reapplicant with two low MCAT attempts.

literally there is nothing else I or anyone on this thread can say

I just want to point out a few things. Mostly for those that haven’t applied and may read this.

- Generally, post bacs are not designed for students simply retake science courses. A retake is actually not recommended unless your prereqs are hella old or you earned a C- (D?) or lower. Most post bacs are for individuals that have never taken certain prereqs and for those that need to take additional science classes for the first time to boost their gpa.

- Medical schools average ALL of your grades, period. (Well, unless you qualify for grade replacement at the DO institutions that still offer it).

- A 503 WILL NOT PUT HIM IN THE SAME POSITION. With the same gpa it will actually put him 19% above the national average acceptance rate.

500 and 3.0 put his chances 2% below the National average acceptance rate. A 500 and a 3.3 put his chances 16% above that average. A 500 MCAT points to pretty freaking high acceptance rates for African Americans if everything else is on par. I’m far from an expert, but I think his gpa likely held him back the most as a 500 MCAT has been sufficient for so many URMs.

With that said, competition is steep and seems to only increase each year so a 500 MCAT should not be the goal. I agree with everyone that he should retake the exam AND improve his gpa.

- To pretend that anything less than a 510 will result in an application that isn’t viable is far from the truth and straight rubbish. Where did you even get that? If he does manage to get that score DO can be taken off the table completely.

I know the majority of us aren’t experts here, but dang y’all, we have try harder sometimes to disseminate information that’s backed up by some evidence.

I just want to point out a few things. Mostly for those that haven’t applied and may read this.

- Generally, post bacs are not designed for students simply retake science courses. A retake is actually not recommended unless your prereqs are hella old or you earned a C- (D?) or lower. Most post bacs are for individuals that have never taken certain prereqs and for those that need to take additional science classes for the first time to boost their gpa.

- Medical schools average ALL of your grades, period. (Well, unless you qualify for grade replacement at the DO institutions that still offer it).

- A 503 WILL NOT PUT HIM IN THE SAME POSITION. With the same gpa it will actually put him 19% above the national average acceptance rate.

500 and 3.0 put his chances 2% below the National average acceptance rate. A 500 and a 3.3 put his chances 16% above that average. A 500 MCAT points to pretty freaking high acceptance rates for African Americans if everything else is on par. I’m far from an expert, but I think his gpa likely held him back the most as a 500 MCAT has been sufficient for so many URMs.

With that said, competition is steep and seems to only increase each year so a 500 MCAT should not be the goal. I agree with everyone that he should retake the exam AND improve his gpa.

- To pretend that anything less than a 510 will result in an application that isn’t viable is far from the truth and straight rubbish. Where did you even get that? If he does manage to get that score DO can be taken off the table completely.

I know the majority of us aren’t experts here, but dang y’all, we have try harder sometimes to disseminate information that’s backed up by some evidence.
Above a 510 does not mean he doesn't have to apply to DO. I am a URM that applied with a 3.1c/3.24s and 511. I only got 1 interview/waitlist from a MD school and that is with a 3.85 GPA of my last 100 credits (mostly upper division science).

Above a 510 does not mean he doesn't have to apply to DO. I am a URM that applied with a 3.1c/3.24s and 511. I only got 1 interview/waitlist from a MD school and that is with a 3.85 GPA of my last 100 credits (mostly upper division science).

Obviously this process does not guarantee 100% certainty for ANY applicant. There are individuals with perfect MCAT and high GPAs that do not get a single acceptance their first try.

Your experience could be for several reasons and if you’re talking about this cycle you still have chance :) I am speaking in general regarding the likelihood of acceptance based on data from entire cycles, not anecdotal stories. If I were, we could go back and forth all day about people we know. My friend got three MD interviews (1 from UCLA) with a 498 and one acceptance. Another friend got into a top 20 with 503. Visit the WAMC forums and you’ll see the advice for AAs with 510+ rarely have suggestions of DOs on their schools lists. If anything I’ve seen the experts say, X, Y, Z and any DO you’d be interested in.

I’m going to say this loud for those in the back. !!!!!!!!!Your application is about more than your MCAT and GPA. You need to research the things that adcoms seek in their student body and only apply once you have your best application. When that time comes ensure that you apply to enough schools AND have arranged a well researched school list that matches your application as a whole.!!!!!!!

Wow I feel like this thread has gotten more action in the last two days than in the last few months. Also when I was writing a reply during class today my friend asked me if I was okay because I looked upset lmao.

I'll raise you this. I was a 3.1c with 502 MCAT retake. Did a post-bac and applied with a 3.65 before even finishing my post-bac. I got 4 MD interviews (1 outright acceptance, 3 waitlists then acceptances); The rest of my app held it's own but I wasn't an amazing applicant.

Of course it wouldn't hurt but he likely doesn't need to apply DO at all if he scores above a 510. But then again, I also don't know the rest of his app sooo.....

@OchemOficionado come through with these numbers thooooo *hand raise emoji*

I'll raise you this. I was a 3.1c with 502 MCAT retake. Did a post-bac and applied with a 3.65 before even finishing my post-bac. I got 4 MD interviews (1 outright acceptance, 3 waitlists then acceptances); The rest of my app held it's own but I wasn't an amazing applicant.

Of course it wouldn't hurt but he likely doesn't need to apply DO at all if he scores above a 510. But then again, I also don't know the rest of his app sooo.....

@OchemOficionado come through with these numbers thooooo *hand raise emoji*
Hey, so you mentioned you got off of the waitlists eventually, was it for all 3 schools? did you send updates? was this for this cycle or previous, and if previous, was it after traffic day? I ask because I want to hold on to hope for my 2 waitlists :)

Hey, so you mentioned you got off of the waitlists eventually, was it for all 3 schools? did you send updates? was this for this cycle or previous, and if previous, was it after traffic day? I ask because I want to hold on to hope for my 2 waitlists :)

All 4 of my interviews were relatively early in the cycle (October 2015). I ended up getting accepted to all four schools by March 2016. I also sent letters of interest/intent though.

Most of my classmates didn't get accepted off the waitlist until this time-frame though and some even after this time-frame.

My two cents: I think it's really wise to apply DO if you have a sub-510 MCAT, just to be on the safer-side of getting in sooner. I did not & I was almost regretting it a few times. I bet on myself & put all my eggs in the MD basket for personal and financial reasons, but honestly I have a lot of pride & wouldn't advise someone to follow in my footsteps. (I also applied early, put everything I could into my app, & took a lot of time to cultivate a school list; if there was an MD school for me I was going to find it).

More tidbits: There's a great DO school really close to me that has given me wonderful experiences (which I included on my MD app). It's well-respected locally & nationally, and produces wonderful doctors. I would have definitely applied there if I had the extra time & mullah just so I could say hey to some great people that influenced my life. For this reason, I can't tell enough people to apply DO before they give up on their med school dreams; they are wonderful institutions that honor hard work, perseverance, and reinvention.

@OchemOficionado my post isn't meant for a general applicant it was 100% meant to be advice for azolesoul only. Could have written a better disclaimer. My bad. Obviously people get into medical school with MCAT scores under 510 I am more concerned about the fact that he would have two low scores. 1 low score can be a bad day, 2 low scores requires more explanation. 2 low scores with a low gpa paints a picture of someone who doesn't have a great grasp on the sciences. My personal opinion is if he doesn't do a post bac/SMP (which he has said time and again that he doesn't want to do) AND his two mcat scores are a 500 and 503 AND he's MD or bust his app won't be viable because clearly the other 2 parts of his app weren't strong enough to get his foot in the door.
I think you took my post to mean I'm a stickler for stats, which I'm not. I think stats become a little bit less important with every year that passes but like.....they're still important. The lower your stats the higher your hurdle.

So for anyone else reading this here is my general advice: find 3 meaningful long term ECs, get kick ass LORs, and study for the freaking MCAT 6+ months if you're studying part time, 3 months if you're studying full time.