**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@OchemOficionado my post isn't meant for a general applicant it was 100% meant to be advice for azolesoul only. Could have written a better disclaimer. My bad. Obviously people get into medical school with MCAT scores under 510 I am more concerned about the fact that he would have two low scores. 1 low score can be a bad day, 2 low scores requires more explanation. 2 low scores with a low gpa paints a picture of someone who doesn't have a great grasp on the sciences. My personal opinion is if he doesn't do a post bac/SMP (which he has said time and again that he doesn't want to do) AND his two mcat scores are a 500 and 503 AND he's MD or bust his app won't be viable because clearly the other 2 parts of his app weren't strong enough to get his foot in the door.
I think you took my post to mean I'm a stickler for stats, which I'm not. I think stats become a little bit less important with every year that passes but like.....they're still important. The lower your stats the higher your hurdle.

So for anyone else reading this here is my general advice: find 3 meaningful long term ECs, get kick ass LORs, and study for the freaking MCAT 6+ months if you're studying part time, 3 months if you're studying full time.

Hey, totally understand. The specific advice for him wasn’t accurate either though. Many scores under 510 aren’t exactly low for URMs. The mean for AAs is 496 with an SD of 9. Jumping from 50 percentile to 61 percentile would be very beneficial for him. So, I highly doubt that a 500 and a 503 will be considered in the manner you described. Also, the stats included in my first response show that your personal opinion may not be spot on. MD or bust would garner less results than applying to DOs as well, but he wouldn’t be dead in the water with only a higher MCAT.

Either way, I agree that stats are important and a lot of your general advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

I joined SDN not too long ago and began lurking around this thread was amazing. I have been accepted into an MD program and I am extremely lucky despite a lackluster app IMO. What are some things on this website that you all recommend I should look into? (Doesn't have to be serious, it can be some unique/fun)

Reactions: 2 users
I joined SDN not too long ago and began lurking around this thread was amazing. I have been accepted into an MD program and I am extremely lucky despite a lackluster app IMO. What are some things on this website that you all recommend I should look into? (Doesn't have to be serious, it can be some unique/fun)
What do you mean as far as look into? And congrats on getting in!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just anything to read into moving forward toward medical school and beyond!

Any current medical students lurking around in this thread? I'm curious to know this --- do your classroom professors know students MCAT score prior to entry? I'm coming in with a low MCAT and since I have a bad habit of caring about what people think of me, I just don't want to be judged for that. :oops:

Any current medical students lurking around in this thread? I'm curious to know this --- do your classroom professors know students MCAT score prior to entry? I'm coming in with a low MCAT and since I have a bad habit of caring about what people think of me, I just don't want to be judged for that. :oops:
No one but premed and new medical students care what your MCAT score was. You were good enough to get in and now you're all on the same footing. You deserve your spot, own it and be proud :)

Reactions: 5 users

I'm sure they could probably go find out if they wanted to but they have a million other things to do with their time and it wouldn't change the price of tea in china if they did know.

I can't even begin to describe how much it doesn't matter lmao. The whole concept of MCAT is left at the door on the first day of classes in lieu of bigger fish to fry - in house exams and Step 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Furthermore, continue to work on dealing with that care for people's thoughts about you; I've seen it ruin people here in med school. Do the best you can for you (We bless God for pass/fail) and move on. Seek good mentors and get stronger. You'll do fine.

Reactions: 7 users
Furthermore, continue to work on dealing with that care for people's thoughts about you; I've seen it ruin people here in med school. Do the best you can for you (We bless God for pass/fail) and move on. Seek good mentors and get stronger. You'll do fine.

@FlyMissMD93

That was a VERY important point that I overlooked - start on working on that now. Unless you're used to being the only minority in the room, you will have challenging moments where it's very apparent that you're different and it can be confidence killer. Learn to make peace and accept who you are. Know that you're capable and are there for a reason 1) to become the best damn doctor you can and 2) show other that competence and intelligence comes in various forms

Edit: wow, a lot of typos haha - gotta stop day drinking *joke*

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
@FlyMissMD93

That was a VERY important point that I overlooked - start on working on that now. Unless you're used to being the only minority in the room, you will have challenging moments where it's very apparent that you're different and it can be confidence killer. Learn to make peace and accept who you are. Know that you're capable and are there for a reason (1 to become the best damn doctor you can and (2 show other that competence and intelligence comes in various forms
Spot on.

Thanks, I'm a Biochem major. I had to work full time throughout college so I didn't manage my time well. Hopefully, this coming cycle works out so I don't have to take a SMP/$$$ I don't have.

Anyone know of an NHSC scholarship recipient to answer some questions I have about the program?

For those curious: Home

Members don't see this ad :)
I
Anyone know of an NHSC scholarship recipient to answer some questions I have about the program?

For those curious: Home
I’m applying, too! Good luckkkkl!!
Also, I had lots of questions, but I read the ENTIRE application guide, and all of them were answered.

Ayo I'm just gonna say this thread has quite a few people who are real willing to spend time in giving people(strangers at that) advice.
I appreciate yall

Reactions: 14 users
Hi guys! I have a question. Would you choose a school that gave you a full scholarship that has history of being a hostile enviroment for URM but has sooo much opportunity orrrrr take loans to go to a school that you know will make the extra effort to make sure those hostilities are minimum and has equal opportunity.

I'm interested to hearing from anyone, especially current students.

Hi guys! I have a question. Would you choose a school that gave you a full scholarship that has history of being a hostile enviroment for URM but has sooo much opportunity orrrrr take loans to go to a school that you know will make the extra effort to make sure those hostilities are minimum and has equal opportunity.

That’s a tough one. Just for some clarification for the first school, can you elaborate why the school is a hostile environment for URMs? I personally value being in an environment that is supportive of me and helping me succeed. Obviously on the road to becoming a doctor, we URM have to be privy to different forms of overt and covert racism from people around us so maybe being in an environment that augments that could be detrimental to mental health and well-being. But money is definitely important as well...have you tried to leverage more money from the other school?

Reactions: 1 users

I’m just a lowly M0, but I don’t think I’ve ever been to a school that’s particularly URM-friendly. It’s never bothered me. I go to the places that are best-equipped to get me to where I need to go. But I’m also not the kind of person who requires “nurturing” or “support” or the other things that HBCUs or other URM-friendly schools are known to provide. So, for me, it’s not so much about the scholarship (although there’s a lot I would put up with for a full ride) as it is about being at a school with excellent research and networking opportunities. As long as nobody is physically injuring me, I can deal with a hostile environment. “Hostile environment” is also pretty subjective. Some people are not as easily offended as others.

I’m just a lowly M0, but I don’t think I’ve ever been to a school that’s particularly URM-friendly. It’s never bothered me. I go to the places that are best-equipped to get me to where I need to go. But I’m also not the kind of person who requires “nurturing” or “support” or the other things that HBCUs or other URM-friendly schools are known to provide. So, for me, it’s not so much about the scholarship (although there’s a lot I would put up with for a full ride) as it is about being at a school with excellent research and networking opportunities. As long as nobody is physically injuring me, I can deal with a hostile environment. “Hostile environment” is also pretty subjective. Some people are not as easily offended as others.
Took the words right out of my mouth. If you go to a school with opportunity, you can develop measure to make the school more URM-friendly. It gives you more opportunity to do more in that school.

This is where you have to search your own soul. You need to look at the circumstances surrounding your current success. In retrospect, were you in a very nurturing environment? Did it have a large impact on your success to date? Were you a super resilient person who didn't require a lot? Are you okay with possibly only having one or two close friends for support and you go about your business otherwise? Do you have a strong support group outside of medicine (fam, friends, etc)? Are you driven only by specialty interest and career success?

All of these and more are very important questions that you have to tease out so that you can rank what's most important to you. I purposely chose a more difficult route for myself because I needed that growth, personally and professionally. I also knew that I would be able to handle the worst-case scenario. At the same time, I also didn't choose THE most difficult option I had haha. One school in particular would have likely driven me up the wall now that I look back on it.

Medical school is hard not just because of the curriculum but it's a whole lifestyle adjustment. Put yourself in a place that you know you can succeed but also make sure there's growth.

Edit: That full scholarship ain't nun to play with though..........

Reactions: 8 users
That’s a tough one. Just for some clarification for the first school, can you elaborate why the school is a hostile environment for URMs? I personally value being in an environment that is supportive of me and helping me succeed. Obviously on the road to becoming a doctor, we URM have to be privy to different forms of overt and covert racism from people around us so maybe being in an environment that augments that could be detrimental to mental health and well-being. But money is definitely important as well...have you tried to leverage more money from the other school?

During second look, I spoke to a student who was more or less part of the welcome commitee and they literally went on a lowkey racist rant and afterwards I turned to an URM potential student that had experience with the school and she said "Welcome to x school"

Also, an alumni student told me her experience as starting in a class of 10 black students and only graduating with 3 due to negative experiences with faculty and students. She believes the hostile environment hindered her and others professionally (although this was 10+ years ago)

I have tried leveraging, unfortunately it was not that successful

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you go to a school with opportunity, you can develop measure to make the school more URM-friendly. It gives you more opportunity to do more in that school.

Good point. I've thought about this.

This is where you have to search your own soul. You need to look at the circumstances surrounding your current success. In retrospect, were you in a very nurturing environment? Did it have a large impact on your success to date? Were you a super resilient person who didn't require a lot? Are you okay with possibly only having one or two close friends for support and you go about your business otherwise? Do you have a strong support group outside of medicine (fam, friends, etc)? Are you driven only by specialty interest and career success?

All of these and more are very important questions that you have to tease out so that you can rank what's most important to you. I purposely chose a more difficult route for myself because I needed that growth, personally and professionally. I also knew that I would be able to handle the worst-case scenario. At the same time, I also didn't choose THE most difficult option I had haha. One school in particular would have likely driven me up the wall now that I look back on it.

Medical school is hard not just because of the curriculum but it's a whole lifestyle adjustment. Put yourself in a place that you know you can succeed but also make sure there's growth.

Edit: That full scholarship ain't nun to play with though..........

Thank you so much for this. I've never been in a really URM friendly/nurturing environment and I have survived.. I've actually thrived. However, I did have an external support system (family and friends) and now that I'm going to a completely new place and hearing what the alumni had to say about the school, I'm worried that I might need more support than I thought. Everyone speaks about so much adjustment in medical school from the way you did things before to having to figure it out again. Since med school is a completely different ball game, Im not completely sure that my track record and what I've done in the past will be enough to help me in the next stage and that's what worries me.

During second look, I spoke to a student who was more or less part of the welcome commitee and they literally went on a lowkey racist rant and afterwards I turned to an URM potential student that had experience with the school and she said "Welcome to x school"

Also, an alumni student told me her experience as starting in a class of 10 black students and only graduating with 3 due to negative experiences with faculty and students. She believes the hostile environment hindered her and others professionally (although this was 10+ years ago)

I have tried leveraging, unfortunately it was not that successful

Good point. I've thought about this.

Thank you so much for this. I've never been in a really URM friendly/nurturing environment and I have survived.. I've actually thrived. However, I did have an external support system (family and friends) and now that I'm going to a completely new place and hearing what the alumni had to say about the school, I'm worried that I might need more support than I thought. Everyone speaks about so much adjustment in medical school from the way you did things before to having to figure it out again. Since med school is a completely different ball game, Im not completely sure that my track record and what I've done in the past will be enough to help me in the next stage and that's what worries me.
That makes sense. I'm glad your feelings are coming out of a well-thought out place. I would say that (for me, anyway) I am in an environment that is completely different from what I'm used to (call it culture shock, if you will) and I've done ok. In reality, all I needed is one or two good people to stick with. I would say, before you decide, use the time around second look to scope out not only the school, but the area locally. For me, church was a giant support system, and I found a branch of my church here, which made all the difference. Also, talk to that URM potential (if you have her contact) about her thoughts about attending. Also, if possible, ask admissions to be put in contact with the URM students and faculty there so that you have links even before you step on campus. This will definitely help you have the components of the support system you need. If there is a component of your normal support system (blood relatives aside) that you might miss being there, ask admissions (or the URM staff/students there) for how they gain that or if you can be connected to it locally. I hope this helps.

I am kinda on the other end of what everyone is saying. I think you should go to the place that you know you thrive at, be supported at, and will be happy at. Yes, going to the other school will save you some money, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much money. You just have to decide how important whether or not you have to live cheaply for a few years to pay off loans is. I really think you should follow your heart and wherever you'll be happy. If you can be happy at the first school then great, if not I would chose the second school. Being unhappy for 4 years is not worth scholarship money in my mind.

Reactions: 4 users
That makes sense. I'm glad your feelings are coming out of a well-thought out place. I would say that (for me, anyway) I am in an environment that is completely different from what I'm used to (call it culture shock, if you will) and I've done ok. In reality, all I needed is one or two good people to stick with. I would say, before you decide, use the time around second look to scope out not only the school, but the area locally. For me, church was a giant support system, and I found a branch of my church here, which made all the difference. Also, talk to that URM potential (if you have her contact) about her thoughts about attending. Also, if possible, ask admissions to be put in contact with the URM students and faculty there so that you have links even before you step on campus. This will definitely help you have the components of the support system you need. If there is a component of your normal support system (blood relatives aside) that you might miss being there, ask admissions (or the URM staff/students there) for how they gain that or if you can be connected to it locally. I hope this helps.
This was some solid advice. I'm going to use it. Thank you so much!!!

I am kinda on the other end of what everyone is saying. I think you should go to the place that you know you thrive at, be supported at, and will be happy at. Yes, going to the other school will save you some money, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much money. You just have to decide how important whether or not you have to live cheaply for a few years to pay off loans is. I really think you should follow your heart and wherever you'll be happy. If you can be happy at the first school then great, if not I would chose the second school. Being unhappy for 4 years is not worth scholarship money in my mind.

But issa full-ride haha. Medschool is a LOT of money. The cost itself is already a lot but then to add on interest that you have to pay?

I think I could make it work for 4 years if I could come out on the other side and not be in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. It's going to take a minimum of 10 years to get rid of it if you qualify for loan forgiveness and if even still exists.

I know medschool is a major step but again, it's just a step - you have so much more to accomplish. Sometimes you gotta look ahead and look out for your future self lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
But issa full-ride haha. Medschool is a LOT of money. The cost itself is already a lot but then to add on interest that you have to pay?

I think I could make it work for 4 years if I could come out on the other side not be in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt that's going to take a minimum of 10 years to get rid of if you qualify for loan forgiveness and it even still exists.

I know medschool is a major step but again, it's just a step - you have so much more to accomplish. Sometimes you gotta look ahead and look out for your future self lol
I'm totally with you on the money thing. When I read the other post about it not being that expensive in the grand scheme of things I had a little chuckle to myself... I guess that's all relative though lol. Picking a school is a tough decision and everyone has given excellent advice. If it were me, I would take the full ride and run with it, but I know I can survive/thrive in potentially hostile environments. It all comes down to individual abilities and how much the ideal medical school experience matters to you.

I think I could make it work for 4 years if I could come out on the other side not be in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt that's going to take a minimum of 10 years to get rid of if you qualify for loan forgiveness and it even still exists.

This
interest is not a joke y'all. A full scholarship should def make you pause. Coming out with minimal to no debt will change your life. Especially if you already have debt from undergrad

@Sidthekiddd Don't turn down a full ride to medical school. Please. Idk where this place is but an hostile environment does sound a little scary to be honest, but I'd say gauge that intensity of "hostile" and if its low, run to the money.
Having financial peace in the most expensive professional school there is will make your life so much easier.
Congratulations!

Just to clarify with the April 30 deadline, if we have one acceptance but multiple waitlists, can we still stay on the waitlists to see what the final outcome is if we haven't been accepted off the waitlist before April 30?

Just to clarify with the April 30 deadline, if we have one acceptance but multiple waitlists, can we still stay on the waitlists to see what the final outcome is if we haven't been accepted off the waitlist before April 30?
Yes, I’m 90% sure

Yupp!

Just a question for everyone really, how much extra debt would you be willing to take on to go to a school you liked more or was ranked higher or because you would rather live in California than some place like Wisconsin for example. Im currently dealing with this issue but I dont want it to be about my options, it is more of a hypothetical or based on your current choices. (ps im sure Wisconsin is great lol)

Just a question for everyone really, how much extra debt would you be willing to take on to go to a school you liked more or was ranked higher or because you would rather live in California than some place like Wisconsin for example. Im currently dealing with this issue but I dont want it to be about my options, it is more of a hypothetical or based on your current choices. (ps im sure Wisconsin is great lol)
I've been advised to not let a difference up to 10,000 a year prevent me from going to a school I preferred

No rhyme or reason to my answer but I would probably stay around the 10-30k range. 50k difference is when I'm definitely like nah, I'm good haha

No rhyme or reason to my answer but I would probably stay around the 10-30k range. 50k difference is when I'm definitely like nah, I'm good haha
you mean 50k per year or 50k for the total debt at the end with interest?

Hi everyone! I'm working on a final essay for a sociology class on inequality. As someone also URM, I was hoping to get a few additional perspectives on race/ethnicity experiences on SDN .

If you're comfortable answering just three short questions (should take max 5 minutes) - please like this post and I can inbox you!

Hi guys! I have a lot of questions about being an URM pre-med and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to PM me to hear my story and offer me advice? Especially anyone that's gotten into Top 30 medical schools. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys! I have a lot of questions about being an URM pre-med and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to PM me to hear my story and offer me advice? Especially anyone that's gotten into Top 30 medical schools. It would be greatly appreciated.
Send me your details!

feel free to message me

Sure

Finally decided on the school I will be attending in the fall and just withdrew from all my other schools. Feels so surreal.

Reactions: 19 users
Finally decided on the school I will be attending in the fall and just withdrew from all my other schools. Feels so surreal.
Same! Today, it feels like my application cycle is finally over. I've spent over a year of my life applying, what with putting together my letters of recommendation, writing my PS, filling out AMCAS, writing secondaries, interviewing...

And today, that's all done.

Reactions: 10 users
lmao at my interview date my school had like 3 black people talk to me and I was like "wow must be hella diverse if all these URMs got time to spare with me". After finally looking at acceptance demographics and the facebook group, little did I know that I was talking to 80% of URMs within a mile radius. BIG adcom finesse

Reactions: 16 users
lmao at my interview date my school had like 3 black people talk to me and I was like "wow must be hella diverse if all these URMs got time to spare with me". After finally looking at acceptance demographics and the facebook group, little did I know that I was talking to 80% of URMs within a mile radius. BIG adcom finesse

I felt like one school in particular practically shoved all their black students down my throat, both at the interview and at second look. It was like they thought I wanted to go to an HBCU and they were trying to fool me into thinking they were one. Felt kind of weird and awkward, honestly.

Just got the call, accepted. Finally all my hard work has paid off!! Just one more school to hear from.

Reactions: 18 users
Just got the call, accepted. Finally all my hard work has paid off!! Just one more school to hear from.
Really happy for all of you! Hopefully I'll get a bit of love as well :)

Accepted today from the waitlist at Wayne State University!!!!! :highfive::hardy::love:

Keep strong, my fellow waitlisters!

Reactions: 33 users