You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**
Started by Icantplayspades
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Also I want to mention that none of my schools are ranked in priority order.
Are you fluent? That will help with UCI PRIME and maybe PR schools (if they're open to OOS).
I want to apply to 40 schools myself, but @Goro and others have advised against it due to secondary burn out. Did to you post in WAMC? I wish I could help, I'm not good with school lists yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say so. I can definitely get by. It's hard because I'm not familiar with the slang terminology and I sound pretty formal compared to my coworkers or my best friend.Are you fluent? That will help with UCI PRIME and maybe PR schools (if they're open to OOS).
I want to apply to 40 schools myself, but @Goro and others have advised against it due to secondary burn out. Did to you post in WAMC? I wish I could help, I'm not good with school lists yet.
I asked about the schools and doctors said if I have the means to afford applying to that many, do it. I'm going into overdrive now and won't be tired lol. I've entered almost a state of desperation
I'd aim for 20-25ish schools. Applying to 45 schools would be soul-crushing if not impossible given all the secondaries you'd have. All those secondaries would make it pretty hard to be complete at your schools in a timely manner. I can't speak much for the DO list, but for MD, I'd consider removing the public schools that aren't Indiana University and your state schools. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Indiana is one of the few OOS friendly schools I know.
If I had to choose, I'd consider keeping: #2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 ,10, 13, and 17. With 10 MD schools, you could then apply to 10-15 DO schools and have a good number of schools. If you really want to really get an MD acceptance, you can add 1-5 schools in PR or in the Caribbean (AUC/Ross/SGU)
Edit: Carib is last-ditch and should be avoided! UW and UCLA at least are good OOS schools too
If I had to choose, I'd consider keeping: #2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 ,10, 13, and 17. With 10 MD schools, you could then apply to 10-15 DO schools and have a good number of schools. If you really want to really get an MD acceptance, you can add 1-5 schools in PR or in the Caribbean (AUC/Ross/SGU)
Edit: Carib is last-ditch and should be avoided! UW and UCLA at least are good OOS schools too
Last edited:
I would say so. I can definitely get by. It's hard because I'm not familiar with the slang terminology and I sound pretty formal compared to my coworkers or my best friend.
I asked about the schools and doctors said if I have the means to afford applying to that many, do it. I'm going into overdrive now and won't be tired lol. I've entered almost a state of desperation
I feel you. Casting a wide net is important to me too. You can do it, just don't let the quality of your secondaries decline. They're just as important as the primary.
I think the UCI interview is fully in Spanish. It sounds like you'll be ok.
Absolutely do not apply to the Caribbean!!!
And, don't take UCLA off your list! Especially not Drew.
Whooaaa the advice on this thread is out of this world, and not in a good way. Yo, I almost want to say that from now on our questions should be asked in pre-allo. I'm not expert here, but some of these responses are sooooooooo off the mark. I love our community in this small forum, but the adcoms and faculty aren't here much, so we have to go to them. Us misonforming each other is not going to help this process.
And, don't take UCLA off your list! Especially not Drew.
Whooaaa the advice on this thread is out of this world, and not in a good way. Yo, I almost want to say that from now on our questions should be asked in pre-allo. I'm not expert here, but some of these responses are sooooooooo off the mark. I love our community in this small forum, but the adcoms and faculty aren't here much, so we have to go to them. Us misonforming each other is not going to help this process.
Absolutely do not apply to the Caribbean!!!
And, don't take UCLA off your list! Especially not Drew.
Whooaaa the advice on this thread is out of this world, and not in a good way. Yo, I almost want to say that from now on our questions should be asked in pre-allo. I'm not expert here, but some of these responses are sooooooooo off the mark. I love our community in this small forum, but the adcoms and faculty aren't here much, so we have to go to them. Us misonforming each other is not going to help this process.
Definitely wanted to qualify my comment with "correct me if I'm wrong". But I still think the list should try to be cut down
Definitely wanted to qualify my comment with "correct me if I'm wrong". But I still think the list should try to be cut down
I can agree with that. I have a huge list as well and every single person told me it's a bad idea due to being overwhelmed with secondaries. On the other hand, I believe in casting a wide net and going all out. I trying to cut my down, but I understand the OP not wanting to.
Message to self: check MSAR before commenting!! UW and UCLA accept a bunch of OOS-ers. Keep them! I'll edit that out of my other comment
I also thought as URMs, we don't have state line boundaries set upon us as strictly. Since were desired, that's an advantage we have.
I hope that's true! I'm gonna go research!
Message to self: check MSAR before commenting!! UW and UCLA accept a bunch of OOS-ers. Keep them! I'll edit that out of my other comment
You're awesome! UCLA is a little unique in their holistic review of URMs too. Everyone in Pre-allo was freaking out that their avg dropped to 508.
I hope my story will catch the admission of their adcom :/You're awesome! UCLA is a little unique in their holistic review of URMs too. Everyone in Pre-allo was freaking out that their avg dropped to 508.
You're awesome! UCLA is a little unique in their holistic review of URMs too. Everyone in Pre-allo was freaking out that their avg dropped to 508.
Thanks, you're too kind. I want to help out but shouldn't think I know everything on the fly and give out misinformation when I can look stuff up.
Ugh, stuff like that is why I avoid pre-allo when I can. This forum has so much positivity
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GPA:3.65
sGPA: 3.55
Major: Biology and Psychology
Minor: Chemistry
MCAT: Shooting for a 510, but happy if I land in 505-510 range
EC:
Been in HOSA since freshman year of high school (8 years) and have been president for two years at the college level. Advanced to state and nationals, placed 1st twice at nationals.
Public Health Event, we did an event through HOSA to educate the community in disease prevention and control
Shadowing experience:
Shadowed 120hrs+, Senior year of college because no transportation means, but I still got it under my belt (did like 400hrs in high school)
Volunteer Experience:
I have 200+ hours volunteering in a wide range of disciplines
Work:
Been working as a tutor for three years now, and supplemental instructor
Also worked at a fast food restaurant (hated it)
I plan to apply to Mt. Sinai, Umich, Stritch, and Duke (Need 12 more schools to apply to). Shooting for a 510+. URM Hispanic here. I'm iffy about stritch since they get a lot of applications
sGPA: 3.55
Major: Biology and Psychology
Minor: Chemistry
MCAT: Shooting for a 510, but happy if I land in 505-510 range
EC:
Been in HOSA since freshman year of high school (8 years) and have been president for two years at the college level. Advanced to state and nationals, placed 1st twice at nationals.
Public Health Event, we did an event through HOSA to educate the community in disease prevention and control
Shadowing experience:
Shadowed 120hrs+, Senior year of college because no transportation means, but I still got it under my belt (did like 400hrs in high school)
Volunteer Experience:
I have 200+ hours volunteering in a wide range of disciplines
Work:
Been working as a tutor for three years now, and supplemental instructor
Also worked at a fast food restaurant (hated it)
I plan to apply to Mt. Sinai, Umich, Stritch, and Duke (Need 12 more schools to apply to). Shooting for a 510+. URM Hispanic here. I'm iffy about stritch since they get a lot of applications
I've been stalking the past cycle thread, but never had a reason to post, but since I plan on applying this cycle, I'll throw some info here.
Background: AA Male, State School in the New England Region, already graduated.
GPA: 3.01 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA. (Upward trend with final semester of 3.9, but I understand that its low overall.)
MCAT: 507 (123.126.128.130) Unbalanced. Took it last fall.
LizzyM: 59 (lower if calculated with sGPA)
ECs:
Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
Background: AA Male, State School in the New England Region, already graduated.
GPA: 3.01 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA. (Upward trend with final semester of 3.9, but I understand that its low overall.)
MCAT: 507 (123.126.128.130) Unbalanced. Took it last fall.
LizzyM: 59 (lower if calculated with sGPA)
ECs:
- Research: 1 semester Biolab, 9 hrs a week.
- Miscellaneous: YALE SMDEP during my sophomore summer.
- Clinical Volunteering: 0 hrs
- Shadowing: 20 hrs ER, will be getting 60-80 more hrs this summer.
- Non-Clinical Volunteering: 3 Years of a Big Brother/Big sister program, was promoted to coordinate the program. 1 yr. English language tutor. 1 Semester after school elementary tutor. Total: 250-300 hrs
- Undergrad Employment History: Librarian (3 yrs.), Janitor(1 yr), Counselor (5 months), Receptionist (2 yrs), Resident Assistant (2 yrs), Personal Care Assistant (4 mo). [some jobs were held simultaneously with others]
- Current Employment: Job #1: Full time Administrative Assistant for the past 7-8 months at a hospital in my city. Was recently promoted to teach other staff the new electronic health records software that the hospital is transitioning into. Job #2: Science instructor on Saturdays for the past 7-8 months, for an enrichment program run through my Alma Mater's Medical School.
Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
Last edited:
Hey everyone! does anyone have any advice for the Pscyh/soc section?
Anki, flashcards was a way I made a dent in my score
what is anki?Anki, flashcards was a way I made a dent in my score
@lk23 : WAMC stands for What Are My chances thread on SDN. Anki is a free program that allows you to create flashcards that test you with spaced repition to improve your memory of the terms. I agree with Joe. Making flashcards helped with P/S, which is a lot of memorization. Khan Academy is a pretty good supplement to the normal prep companies for that section, too
@Boros : Plan sounds good. Definitely do clinical volunteering and shadowing throughout the year to get more clinical exposure, maybe also starting the volunteering this summer. Your MCAT should definitely help you out!
@Boros : Plan sounds good. Definitely do clinical volunteering and shadowing throughout the year to get more clinical exposure, maybe also starting the volunteering this summer. Your MCAT should definitely help you out!
Last edited:
These W&As and PS sections are theee worst
Esp figuring out how to divvy up the activities if more than one classification is applicable.
ok thanks 🙂 I appreciate it@lk23 : WAMC stands for What Are My chances thread on SDN. Anki is a free program that allows you to create flashcards that test you with spaced repition to improve your memory of the terms. I agree with Joe. Making flashcards helped with P/S, which is a lot of memorization. Khan Academy is a pretty good supplement to the normal prep companies for that section, too
@Boros : Plan sounds good. Definitely do clinical volunteering and shadowing throughout the year to get more clinical exposure, maybe also starting the volunteering this summer. Your MCAT should definitely help you out!
@lk23 : WAMC stands for What Are My chances thread on SDN. Anki is a free program that allows you to create flashcards that test you with spaced repition to improve your memory of the terms. I agree with Joe. Making flashcards helped with P/S, which is a lot of memorization. Khan Academy is a pretty good supplement to the normal prep companies for that section, too
@Boros : Plan sounds good. Definitely do clinical volunteering and shadowing throughout the year to get more clinical exposure, maybe also starting the volunteering this summer. Your MCAT should definitely help you out!
Thanks TV 😀. The post-bac has a month of clinical volunteering and shadowing abroad built into it so I'm looking forward to that. You are right though, I don't think it would hurt to get even more exposure under my belt by starting this summer.
So what have you guys heard about hairstyles? Particularly African American
I found this thread very informative: Natural hair on the interview trail
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I think what's been stressed most is that it should look clean-cut and put together but most of all you should find a style you're most comfortable withI think I'm still going to keep my hair long on the top. I can't stop my hair journey, it's been a year without cutting it. I'll have to find something acceptable though.
i have kind of a high top fade going on right now
lol I'm also rocking a curly high top fade. No plans of cutting it but I'll probably get lined up/keep it clean if I get a interview. Good luck fam.I think I'm still going to keep my hair long on the top. I can't stop my hair journey, it's been a year without cutting it. I'll have to find something acceptable though.
i have kind of a high top fade going on right now
lol I'm also rocking a curly high top fade. No plans of cutting it but I'll probably get lined up/keep it clean if I get a interview. Good luck fam.
*when* you get an interview 😉
I'm thinking about a protective style depending on the the time of season. Either crochet braids or small senegalese twists. I just hope to avoid the whole "oh, you look different than your picture" comment from the schools that ask for headshots. I change my hair at work and people think I'm a new member of the team, lol. -_-
LMAOO Truth.I'm thinking about a protective style depending on the the time of season. Either crochet braids or small senegalese twists. I just hope to avoid the whole "oh, you look different than your picture" comment from the schools that ask for headshots. I change my hair at work and people think I'm a new member of the team, lol. -_-
I'm going to go into that interview loud as hell. #BLM #HandsUpDontShoot #ICantBreathe #WhiteCoatsForBlackLives #Ferguson #Charleston #BaltimoreRiotslol I'm also rocking a curly high top fade. No plans of cutting it but I'll probably get lined up/keep it clean if I get a interview. Good luck fam.
I'm going to go into that interview loud as hell. #BLM #HandsUpDontShoot #ICantBreathe #WhiteCoatsForBlackLives #Ferguson #Charleston #BaltimoreRiots
I pray that I interview on the same day somewhere with you, lol.
I'm going to go into that interview loud as hell. #BLM #HandsUpDontShoot #ICantBreathe #WhiteCoatsForBlackLives #Ferguson #Charleston #BaltimoreRiots
YASSSSS!!!!
(That will be me on first day of lecture!)
HERE FOR THIS!!!!I'm going to go into that interview loud as hell. #BLM #HandsUpDontShoot #ICantBreathe #WhiteCoatsForBlackLives #Ferguson #Charleston #BaltimoreRiots
Glad I ain't the only one who thought this... gotta play the game once in a while... unless you got royalty and loyalty in your DNAI'm going to go into that interview loud as hell. #BLM #HandsUpDontShoot #ICantBreathe #WhiteCoatsForBlackLives #Ferguson #Charleston #BaltimoreRiots
Anyone see the clip of Betsy DeVos at Bethune Cookman?
What did you guys think?
What did you guys think?
Oh my god I just watched it this morning. She's a damn fool thinking she can speak on the power of education with her history, at an HBCU no less. I was really proud of those kids. But also wondering what the administration was thinking in inviting her...Anyone see the clip of Betsy DeVos at Bethune Cookman?
What did you guys think?
I read somewhere the Florida NAACP is calling for the president of the school to resignOh my god I just watched it this morning. She's a damn fool thinking she can speak on the power of education with her history, at an HBCU no less. I was really proud of those kids. But also wondering what the administration was thinking in inviting her...
ok thanks 🙂 I appreciate it
Is there a specific WAMC thread or just a whole bunch?
Havent been getting much feedback on WAMC threads so thought Id give this a shot
Considering taking a gap year if i dont like my chances at MD
cGPA-3.58
sGPA-3.39
MCAT-505
3 years volunteering at hospital--200 hours
1.5 years research in vascular surgeons lab ~500 hours
200 hours non clinical volunteering
~200 hours shadowing--electrophysiologist, endocrinologist, gastrointerologist as well as many specialities in DR
3 semesters as emergency medical responder (EMR) TA
1 semester as microbiology lab TA
EMR certified
Fluent in spanish
Dominican
Any advice on what schools to apply to besides in state?
Considering taking a gap year if i dont like my chances at MD
cGPA-3.58
sGPA-3.39
MCAT-505
3 years volunteering at hospital--200 hours
1.5 years research in vascular surgeons lab ~500 hours
200 hours non clinical volunteering
~200 hours shadowing--electrophysiologist, endocrinologist, gastrointerologist as well as many specialities in DR
3 semesters as emergency medical responder (EMR) TA
1 semester as microbiology lab TA
EMR certified
Fluent in spanish
Dominican
Any advice on what schools to apply to besides in state?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone see the clip of Betsy DeVos at Bethune Cookman?
What did you guys think?
I was laughing! If I was there I would have yelled MAIL IT THEN!!
I was laughing! If I was there I would have yelled MAIL IT THEN!!
But like ... they're going to mail your diploma anyways. Anyone can hold a fake rolled up piece of paper with a ribbon as they walk across a stage wearing a black gown. Like that was an empty threat, lmao. I would have kept hollerin' too, lol.
.
Last edited:
Shook. I just started summer classes and was assigned a partner for a project Tuesday (its a 3.5 hour afternoon class that has six people, I am one of few POC). Today (Thursday) I sat next to him in my 3.5 hour morning class which he also happens to be in and he didn't recognize me until the end prolly cause of the hair change. Like bruh.
I'm thinking about a protective style depending on the the time of season. Either crochet braids or small senegalese twists. I just hope to avoid the whole "oh, you look different than your picture" comment from the schools that ask for headshots. I change my hair at work and people think I'm a new member of the team, lol. -_-
Finished my second FL - NS 2. 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 328
- Replies
- 73
- Views
- 22K