2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
idk about that but I had cake for dinner tonight, so #nailedit
But importantly, what KIND of cake? Food details are very important in my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh, not saying this whole match thing was an excuse to lose myself in terms of healthy eating habits and working out but I literally gained 4lbs this month from what I'm sure is stress eating and lack of exercise. Normally idc about this shiz but I'm getting cranky about it FOR NO REASON. Is anyone else feeling psycho about little things?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grasshopper cake (chocolate cake, mint icing)!!!

Wait, wait, wait, hold up: Girl Scout cookies are being sold?!??
Yes but you have to hurry I think they are almost done!

Grasshopper cake (chocolate cake, mint icing)!!!

Wait, wait, wait, hold up: Girl Scout cookies are being sold?!??

Multiple boxes are in my house. And yes, highly recommend that as part of Match Weekend celebrations you stalk grocery stores for the smallest and cutest brownies to stock up from.

wtf, I have seen NO little girls huddled outside of grocery stores! WHERE ARE THEY HIDING?!?!

wtf, I have seen NO little girls huddled outside of grocery stores! WHERE ARE THEY HIDING?!?!
as creepy as this makes me feel... you can ... track.. the girl scouts online
on their website. you just put your zip code. and it tells you were they will be and when (hypothetically, it didn't know they would be at walmart when i found them like a christmas miracle)

Reactions: 5 users
as creepy as this makes me feel... you can ... track.. the girl scouts online
on their website. you just put your zip code. and it tells you were they will be and when (hypothetically, it didn't know they would be at walmart when i found them like a christmas miracle)
God Bless America.

Also...I'd just like to point out that you can track the effing girl scouts easier and quicker than you can find out your Match results.

Reactions: 7 users
This might be an unpopular opinion....but I really only interviewed at one site I was very excited about and it is in a pretty undesirable location. There's a small part of me that wonders if I might prefer seeing what's what in Phase II. Is anyone else having thoughts like this??

Last edited:
Ugh, not saying this whole match thing was an excuse to lose myself in terms of healthy eating habits and working out but I literally gained 4lbs this month from what I'm sure is stress eating and lack of exercise. Normally idc about this shiz but I'm getting cranky about it FOR NO REASON. Is anyone else feeling psycho about little things?

Yup. I cried the other day from feeling out of shape and I haven’t done that **** in years! Def. match related.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be an unpopular opinion....but I really only interviewed at one site I was very excited about and it is in a pretty undesirable location. There's a small part of me that wonders if I might prefer seeing what's what in Phase II. Is anyone else having thoughts like this??
After seeing the phase ll site I wished I had dropped a site off my list because I was like yoooooo some of these sites sound bomb!

HAPPY MATCH DAY EVE Y'ALL!!

aaaand this is me already...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Everyone - don’t forget to leave some cookies and milk out tonight for Match Santa! :D

You aren’t alone
I think this goes back to like we said internship has been drummed up so much - also we have had way too much time to stew and over analyze
I’m sure anyplace you ranked would be great for you once that subsides!
That being said there are some super awesome sites in phase 2 and lots of stories about people getting sites then that hadn’t even interviewed them before
So I get that

I’ve adapted a “trust in the match and fate” approach

I'm sitting here watching my infant child, who is just learning how to reach for objects, in a bouncer chair batting at colorful toys that are JUST out of grasp. He keeps trying to grab them, but is not quite coordinated enough to accomplish anything but bat them further away. He then throws up his hands in exasperation and brings them to his mouth to self-soothe. I am identifying with his struggle HARD. Match day is just out of reach, I am unable to do anything to make it come any sooner, and I plan to self-soothe with ice cream that I unashamedly had delivered to my door last night.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm sitting here watching my infant child, who is just learning how to reach for objects, in a bouncer chair batting at colorful toys that are JUST out of grasp. He keeps trying to grab them, but is not quite coordinated enough to accomplish anything but bat them further away. He then throws up his hands in exasperation and brings them to his mouth to self-soothe. I am identifying with his struggle HARD. Match day is just out of reach, I am unable to do anything to make it come any sooner, and I plan to self-soothe with ice cream that I unashamedly had delivered to my door last night.
I'm relating to this so hard right now. :eek:

Reactions: 3 users
Just want to say best of luck tomorrow! My match email came at 8:14 AM EST a few years back -- not much longer to wait. I also hope many of you will stick around and continue to be active on the board -- your mutual support and positivity has been great to witness.

Reactions: 17 users
In preparation for tomorrow aka D day, anybody know if we can apply to sites (in phase 2) that may have rejected us during interview invites in phase 1? Just wanna be prepared in case things go south : /

ice cream delivered last night, and there is still any left? I admire your delayed gratification skills
f6tfbk.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Not only am I waiting for Match Day, but I’m also 38 weeks 3 days pregnant and wondering when I’m going into labor. All this waiting is killing me. I have control over nothing. This is my life now.

Reactions: 13 users
Not only am I waiting for Match Day, but I’m also 38 weeks 3 days pregnant and wondering when I’m going into labor. All this waiting is killing me. I have control over nothing. This is my life now.
Are you going to name the baby Greg, though?

Reactions: 19 users
Dang, mama! And here I've been complaining about my baby's sleep schedule changing...you are AMAZING! I hope you're getting tons of TLC from your people right now. You deserve it extra much.
This post is my favorite.

I love this comparison! My little humans have been my biggest source of distraction and self care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users

Girl!!!!

You are a rock star. I’ve been doing this with two tiny humans, but I can’t imagine getting through this pregnant. All the props to you, mama!

Depends on how the Match goes tomorrow

Girl!!!!

You are a rock star. I’ve been doing this with two tiny humans, but I can’t imagine getting through this pregnant. All the props to you, mama!

Thanks! It’s been a challenge - that’s for damn sure.

Reactions: 6 users
Girl!!!!

As someone who once had even just one infant I was responsible for, I can’t help but imagine you had the worst pregnancy ever if you feel this way.

ETA: not that pregnancy isn’t hard, but dude, two babies...:scared:

I'm referring to tomorrow as Judgement Day and Skynet is about to become self-aware.

As someone who once had even just one infant I was responsible for, I can’t help but imagine you had the worst pregnancy ever if you feel this way.

ETA: not that pregnancy isn’t hard, but dude, two babies...:scared:

Two babies is no joke. I have two....AND NO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point I just want a babysitter for my two kids...and myself.

source.gif

Damn. Shout out to all the parents/parents-to-be doing doc school AND raising tiny humans. Y'all are impressive and amazing. I don't know how you do it!

Reactions: 9 users
Depending on where in the country you are and how efficient the match email is this year: approximately 16-18 hours. More than 15 but definitely less than 20 :wtf:

Sherlock is getting this all figured out, ladies and gentlemen. :p

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck tomorrow everyone. I am sending positive vibes your way. I did not match my first year applying, but it allowed me to work on my dissertation, gain more teaching experience, and get a publication. I was very geographically retreated the first year I applied. The second year I applied, I applied very broadly and ended up in the geographical area that I wanted originally at a good name internship. It is funny how things work out. So just remember that even if you do not match, your future is stikk likely bright, although it stings for a while.

Reactions: 13 users
Good luck tomorrow everyone. I am sending positive vibes your way. I did not match my first year applying, but it allowed me to work on my dissertation, gain more teaching experience, and get a publication. I was very geographically retreated the first year I applied. The second year I applied, I applied very broadly and ended up in the geographical area that I wanted originally at a good name internship. It is funny how things work out. So just remember that even if you do not match, your future is stikk likely bright, although it stings for a while.
Thank you - people are often hesitant to share experiences like this, and it helps to be reminded of it, and to hear it without shame or whatnot. Really appreciate it.

sending everyone a lot of love, care, and support. I hope to meet you beautiful humans in the field very (ahem, very) soon.

Reactions: 9 users
dear @slaney haikus must come by nature
but i hope you all enjoy this instead

’Twas the night before match day
When all through the land
The applicants were waiting, glass of alcohol in hand

They caught up on forum
Quoted one post (or two)
and watched the olympics
Dreams really can come true!

As the clock struck midnight
Their chests grew much tighter
“It’s time for bed” I suppose
So tomorrow will be brighter

Sleep hygiene in mind they thought
This I can do
Best of luck to you applicants
May your (good) match dreams come true

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 users
dear @slaney haikus must come by nature
but i hope you all enjoy this instead

’Twas the night before match day
When all through the land
The applicants were waiting, glass of alcohol in hand

They caught up on forum
Quoted one post (or two)
and watched the olympics
Dreams really can come true!

As the clock struck midnight
Their chests grew much tighter
“It’s time for bed” I suppose
So tomorrow will be brighter

Sleep hygiene in mind they thought
This I can do
Best of luck to you applicants
May your match dreams come true

I’m so dysregulated this almost made me cry

I’m so dysregulated this almost made me cry

I relate to that on a deep level right now. I was reading the comments section of a random facebook meme about pets and one woman was writing about her neighbors cat who would come up to her house every day for breakfast and dinner and he stopped passing by a few months prior to her post. She was concerned about him but didn't want to ask her neighbors because she didn't want to hear that he died. She finally asked a few weeks after her initial post and found out that he was hit by a car and died a few hours later from the injuries. I almost cried. Stick a fork in me, I'm done. :dead: