2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year mine came at 6:55am CST . That time is pretty consistent with what I've heard from other students in previous years.
giphy (3).gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year mine came at 6:55am CST . That time is pretty consistent with what I've heard from other students in previous years.
I just checked and mine arrived at 6:59am EST. So there is some variability (apparently mine arrived an hour later than the CST results) but it seems consistent that it is earlier than 10:00am EST. This last stretch is the toughest, much like the last few miles of a marathon, but you are almost there!

I'M SO THRILLED TO HEAR THEY MIGHT COME EARLY. That means I have a chance of knowing BEFORE going to my full day of stuff, THANK GOD.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine came at 730 est. I think early is pretty typical

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mine came at 730 est. I think early is pretty typical

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Erghhh all you East coasters ruining it for the rest of us :inpain: (I say this with every ounce of affection, as a former East coaster lol.) I'm out west, 7am EST = 4am PST. Whyyyyy?! Any chance of sleeping is ruined knowing that. I'll probably be waking up every hour after 4am to check my email, and then be a total wired zombie on Friday no matter the results :wideyed: Maybe I should just stay up till 4am and not even go to sleep, cuz what's the point? :eek:

Erghhh all you East coasters ruining it for the rest of us :inpain: (I say this with every ounce of affection, as a former East coaster lol.) I'm out west, 7am EST = 4am PST. Whyyyyy?! Any chance of sleeping is ruined knowing that. I'll probably be waking up every hour after 4am to check my email, and then be a total wired zombie on Friday no matter the results :wideyed: Maybe I should just stay up till 4am and not even go to sleep, cuz what's the point? :eek:
Or just sleep and know that by the time you wake in the morning, match-santa will have left you an email. :clap:

Reactions: 11 users
:(:(
I am aware of someone who matched to their 8th site because they ranked sites in order of competitiveness. It ended up being a better fit for them though. I also know of a couple people who matched that low but no one was really surprised because of personality/interviewing issues.

Just out of curiosity...what kind of personality/interviewing issues? Just want to...compare myself

I ate cookies for lunch
Happy Tuesday of match week

Reactions: 9 users
I have a migraine from no sleep. Watched 4 hours of this oyster thing on facebook then stayed up watching Grey's Anatomy. I started watching Grey's Anatomy from Season 1 last week. I'm on season 3 I think...Netflix bingeing is now my new normal. The oyster/pearl jewelry thing is not.

Reactions: 5 users
It will literally decide my day. My supervisor said I can chose if I am going in or not. And I would miss class....

Should I just skip it all?

:(:(

Just out of curiosity...what kind of personality/interviewing issues? Just want to...compare myself

The kind that are pretty obvious upon first meeting them and that might make an interviewer question whether they really want to work with that person for a year.

Reactions: 4 users
Or just sleep and know that by the time you wake in the morning, match-santa will have left you an email. :clap:
Match Santa! I wanted to post an amusing/clever gif or pic of Match Santa, but this was not possible because a.) I don't know where to find one, and b.) I don't know how to post them on here. So, given my personal failures, I leave you all to mentalize Match Santa on your own.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Match Santa! I wanted to post an amusing/clever gif or pic of Match Santa, but this was not possible because a.) I don't know where to find one, and b.) I don't know how to post them on here. So, given my personal failures, I leave you all to mentalize Match Santa on your own.

I just keep picturing Oprah in a Santa costume yelling out “you get a match! Everybody gets a match!” And then an elf on the side making an “oh ****” face and pulling her aside to say “well....actually...about that everybody gets a match thing....” and then awkward silence.

This is how I envision Greg checking over the match results post-algorithm (minus the gray hair, of course)
D-BOERSE04-17.jpg

Reactions: 19 users
I have a migraine from no sleep. Watched 4 hours of this oyster thing on facebook then stayed up watching Grey's Anatomy. I started watching Grey's Anatomy from Season 1 last week. I'm on season 3 I think...Netflix bingeing is now my new normal. The oyster/pearl jewelry thing is not.
I feel very invested in making this binge successful for you, so I feel compelled to tell you that Grey's gets a liiiiiiiitle meh for a while after the ferry (if you're not there yet, you'll know it when you see it), but then it gets REALLY good again, so don't give up!

I feel very invested in making this binge successful for you, so I feel compelled to tell you that Grey's gets a liiiiiiiitle meh for a while after the ferry (if you're not there yet, you'll know it when you see it), but then it gets REALLY good again, so don't give up!
When does it get really good again? I stopped watching a little after the ferry/ vision stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

Well this is the 3rd time binge watching this from the beginning lol how I’m managing to still get emotional even though I know what will happen is beyond me! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I keep thinking that maybe NMS will glitch and accidentally release the results early. How much more double and triple checking can be done between now and Friday?? This is madness.

Reactions: 6 users
I keep thinking that maybe NMS will glitch and accidentally release the results early. How much more double and triple checking can be done between now and Friday?? This is madness.
You can stop double checking, Greg doesn’t make rookie mistakes.

To avoid thinking about match day I’ve now taken to worrying about the EPPP (which I haven’t started studying for and won’t be in the near future). Guess I just gotta find something to ruminate about.

This would be
The happiest day

Anyone else obsessively reading through past SDN interview/match threads? I just can't stop.... like seriously, do I really need to be reading about what happened in 2011? Match day cannot come any sooner...

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone else obsessively reading through past SDN interview/match threads? I just can't stop.... like seriously, do I really need to be reading about what happened in 2011? Match day cannot come any sooner...
Yup. The phase ll list from last year brought me some relief.

So I'm hoping to get some sleep the night before (esp. since I'll be AT A CONFERENCE - not presenting Match Day thankfully), but I still want to be woken when the e-mail comes through. Here's what I've set-up and it may help you as well. Two methods:
1. Set my iPhone to give me a special notification when e-mails from [email protected] or [email protected] (not sure which it will be) come through. You can do this by following these instructions (HERE and HERE) and creating a contact with those e-mails in it (I called mine "IT'S HAPPENING"). Android users, you may need a different process.
2. If you have/create an IFTTT account with your Gmail (if it will receive the e-mail) and phone connected, you can use this applet and this applet to receive phone calls when e-mails from those same addresses come through and it will read it aloud. You must have Gmail receiving the e-mail or it will not trigger the applets. When I tested them, I got a call almost immediately.

I take no responsibility for any false alarms these techniques may cause, though do know I will suffer with you. If you have any questions about setting them up, feel free to DM me!

So I'm hoping to get some sleep the night before (esp. since I'll be AT A CONFERENCE - not presenting Match Day thankfully), but I still want to be woken when the e-mail comes through. Here's what I've set-up and it may help you as well. Two methods:
1. Set my iPhone to give me a special notification when e-mails from [email protected] or [email protected] (not sure which it will be) come through. You can do this by following these instructions (HERE and HERE) and creating a contact with those e-mails in it (I called mine "IT'S HAPPENING"). Android users, you may need a different process.
2. If you have/create an IFTTT account with your Gmail (if it will receive the e-mail) and phone connected, you can use this applet and this applet to receive phone calls when e-mails from those same addresses come through and it will read it aloud. You must have Gmail receiving the e-mail or it will not trigger the applets. When I tested them, I got a call almost immediately.

I take no responsibility for any false alarms these techniques may cause, though do know I will suffer with you. If you have any questions about setting them up, feel free to DM me!

last year mine came from [email protected] at 5am on the dot Pacific...this year get to wait and field calls between 7 and 12 Pacific 2/26 for postdoc UND. Good Luck to you all...

Last edited:
I looked back through my email to find the magical email on that glorious day last year (i.e., 02/17/2017). I received my match email at 4:59am pst. Stayed up all night, got my match, proceeded to be delirious for the rest of the day (too old to pull all-nighters anymore), and missed the phone call my now TD. Definitely did not work that day. None of the other advanced prac students at my site did either.

As much as I love my internship, I'm surprised by how little the match matters now... just months later. The hunt for postdoc started soon after and feels 100% different.

ETA: I recall that the emails DID NOT come all at once. If you don't get one at the same time as everyone else, don't panic.

Last edited:
I looked back through my email to find the magical email on that glorious day last year (i.e., 02/18/2017). I received my match email at 4:59am pst. Stayed up all night, got my match, proceeded to be delirious for the rest of the day (too old to pull all-nighters anymore), and missed the phone call my now TD. Definitely did not work that day. None of the other advanced prac students at my site did either.

As much as I love my internship, I'm surprised by how little the match matters now... just months later. The hunt for postdoc started soon after and feels 100% different.

ETA: I recall that the emails DID NOT come all at once. If you don't get one at the same time as everyone else, don't panic.

Thanks :). Although I am a ball of anxiety right now, I keep thinking about how small this will all feel down the road. Even the apps/interviews feel oddly insignificant now. It’s a bit dysregulating but probably a good thing in thd end!

I agree with the last few posts. It feels like such a big, life-altering outcome at the time. While it certainly is important, my internship did not influence where I ended up getting a job or my career trajectory whatsoever. It is still just a year, which can seem both long and short. I can see this being different for people who want to stay at the same internship site for postdoc and potentially for a long-term career position, but otherwise it can be helpful to remember not to make too much out of this whole strange process!

I'm so EXCITED!!! I can barely focus on life. What will match santa bring me???

Dear Match Santa,

I tried hard to be good, really. If you match me to my top two sites, I promise to dedicate my life to the underserved and pay my loan debt in a timely manner. :love:

Love,
ToneTone

Reactions: 7 users
So I was just looking at the list of sites in phase II from last year, and it was interesting to realize that there were multiple places I interviewed at this year that were on that list, and so I probably met multiple interns that matched in phase II. It really happens!

So I was just looking at the list of sites in phase II from last year, and it was interesting to realize that there were multiple places I interviewed at this year that were on that list, and so I probably met multiple interns that matched in phase II. It really happens!
At one of my interviews, the current intern was very open and honest telling me he matched to that site in Phase II. I was amazed the single position was not filled in the initial match as it is phenomenal training.

Oohh can you share that list? I've been trying to find it online with no luck!

There are often some really prestigious sites that have slots open in phase II for whatever reason. Hopefully all of you will get good news for phase I, but in the unlikely event that doesn't happen for you all, there is still hope for great sites in phase II!

I absolutely know folks who went to more prestigious sites than I did by going through phase II..

Is it just me or does today feel like the longest day ever?
No, that'd be tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the longest day ever. On the plus side, Sat morning you can sit at your computer with a big ole cup of coffee and look at properties in your new city.

Reactions: 8 users
The dysregulation and sleep disturbances are REAL. Does anyone know how to speed time up? Has anyone come up with some empirically-supported cognitive technique to just blow through time? Are we allowed to sleep for 2 days straight? Oy.

The dysregulation and sleep disturbances are REAL. Does anyone know how to speed time up? Has anyone come up with some empirically-supported cognitive technique to just blow through time? Are we allowed to sleep for 2 days straight? Oy.
idk about that but I had cake for dinner tonight, so #nailedit

Reactions: 2 users