This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sayitaintso

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional Texas resident looking to apply in the 2018-2019 cycle. I graduated in 2016 with a cGPA 3.2 and a sGPA 2.96, no strong increasing or decreasing trends. Since graduating I did a summer of full time research in HIV a Texas Tech Health Science Center in EL Paso Texas. I have worked in a dermatology MOHS specialized clinic for an MD for 6 months full time. Then started taking classes in summer of 2017 part time as a DIY post-bacc, I have taken 14 hours of science class with a GPA of 4.0. While taking classes part-time I also work part time at a dermatology clinic as a medical assistant. I am currently taking 6 hours more hours and will have complete 20 hours of science class by the opening of the aacomas application, at which my cGPA 3.317 and a sGPA 3.168. I plan on retaking the MCAT in May aiming for a 508-512. For EC I have various mentoring/tutoring activities, church activities as well as leadership roles within them, and I have volunteered for habitat for humanity throughout college and post-graduation. I am planning on applying to DO programs with TCOM as my desired school, but will me applying to many. Is this a plausible goal? I have done research on other school and have many more schools in mind but wanted to get some more input. Also, if there is any ideas on what I can do to improve my application helpful criticism is welcome. Thanks and if your applying this cycle, GOOD LUCK!

--PS I will continue to take more upper level science courses during and after the application cycle. I am also thinking about a DO/MPH so I might apply for a MPH programs as a back up if I don't get in this coming cycle to get that done before medical school as apposed to waiting till medical school (If you have any ideas on that idea let me know as well)

Members don't see this ad.

You are retaking the MCAT aiming for 508-512? I assume this means you scored lower than that, how much lower? While it sounds like you are getting your **** together, I'd focus on medicine wherever you can get accepted and forget specialty DO/MPH programs; get that later from night school. Why would you bite off more than you can chew now when you are a marginal applicant with a checkered undergrad history?

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with mk04447, sounds like you need to focus on the science once you get into medical school

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a non-traditional Texas resident looking to apply in the 2018-2019 cycle. I graduated in 2016 with a cGPA 3.2 and a sGPA 2.96, no strong increasing or decreasing trends. Since graduating I did a summer of full time research in HIV a Texas Tech Health Science Center in EL Paso Texas. I have worked in a dermatology MOHS specialized clinic for an MD for 6 months full time. Then started taking classes in summer of 2017 part time as a DIY post-bacc, I have taken 14 hours of science class with a GPA of 4.0. While taking classes part-time I also work part time at a dermatology clinic as a medical assistant. I am currently taking 6 hours more hours and will have complete 20 hours of science class by the opening of the aacomas application, at which my cGPA 3.317 and a sGPA 3.168. I plan on retaking the MCAT in May aiming for a 508-512. For EC I have various mentoring/tutoring activities, church activities as well as leadership roles within them, and I have volunteered for habitat for humanity throughout college and post-graduation. I am planning on applying to DO programs with TCOM as my desired school, but will me applying to many. Is this a plausible goal? I have done research on other school and have many more schools in mind but wanted to get some more input. Also, if there is any ideas on what I can do to improve my application helpful criticism is welcome. Thanks and if your applying this cycle, GOOD LUCK!

--PS I will continue to take more upper level science courses during and after the application cycle. I am also thinking about a DO/MPH so I might apply for a MPH programs as a back up if I don't get in this coming cycle to get that done before medical school as apposed to waiting till medical school (If you have any ideas on that idea let me know as well)

When you say no increasing or decreasing trends, is it just your transcript peppered with low grades here and there throughout your undergrad career? Were you not able to get the grades you wanted the first time around due to lack of focus, etc or you felt overloaded by too many science classes?

Additionally, the classes you've been taking to improve your GPA - are they repeats of the ones you didn't do well in? Or are they different classes? Are they basic sciences or upper level? In my opinion this matters, you should certainly show that the classes you did badly in you can do well in, and also show that you are capable of understanding and succeeding in higher level sciences with more than one or two science class at a time.

You certainly need to do well on the MCAT to make up for your GPA. 510 and above I would say. I know people with lower stats that have gotten into strong DO programs but they also had a lot of clinical experience or research experience/publications or a combination of both. Basically think of how you can enhance your application beyond just the numbers.

What I would recommend - study hard for the MCAT and see how you do. Apply if you've done really well and see what happens. I know this is something others will frown upon (and I understand it's not necessarily financially feasible) but it will give you an idea of where you stand with schools. If you get in, great If you don't you can garner a better idea of what you need to do to build your application. Good luck!

You are retaking the MCAT aiming for 508-512? I assume this means you scored lower than that, how much lower? While it sounds like you are getting your **** together, I'd focus on medicine wherever you can get accepted and forget specialty DO/MPH programs; get that later from night school. Why would you bite off more than you can chew now when you are a marginal applicant with a checkered undergrad history?

I did score lower on the MCAT, I have taken it two times. April 2015(489) and September 2015(498). I didn't study much or take but one or two practice test. So this time around I've been diligently studying and taking practice test. I see what your saying about the DO/MPH programs, good point. Thanks for your opinion.

When you say no increasing or decreasing trends, is it just your transcript peppered with low grades here and there throughout your undergrad career? Were you not able to get the grades you wanted the first time around due to lack of focus, etc or you felt overloaded by too many science classes?

Additionally, the classes you've been taking to improve your GPA - are they repeats of the ones you didn't do well in? Or are they different classes? Are they basic sciences or upper level? In my opinion this matters, you should certainly show that the classes you did badly in you can do well in, and also show that you are capable of understanding and succeeding in higher level sciences with more than one or two science class at a time.

You certainly need to do well on the MCAT to make up for your GPA. 510 and above I would say. I know people with lower stats that have gotten into strong DO programs but they also had a lot of clinical experience or research experience/publications or a combination of both. Basically think of how you can enhance your application beyond just the numbers.

What I would recommend - study hard for the MCAT and see how you do. Apply if you've done really well and see what happens. I know this is something others will frown upon (and I understand it's not necessarily financially feasible) but it will give you an idea of where you stand with schools. If you get in, great If you don't you can garner a better idea of what you need to do to build your application. Good luck!

Yes I have mostly B's on my transcript with A's and a few C in about 6 classes(3-4 are from dual credit in high school non-science basic classes), and a D. I loved learning the material but wouldn't necessarily study much out side of class, so I would say I wasn't necessarily focused on "good grades". I also haven't take a full course load with the study etiquette I have now but I plan on taking a ~15 hrs next semester.

I have spoke to advisors at TCOM and they advised me to take upper level courses. So since I was out of school for a year I took A&P I and II and I retook Orgo 1 and lab(because I had a C). Currently I am taking biostats(requirement for some schools) and toxicology(new upper level course for me)

Yes I have mostly B's on my transcript with A's and a few C in about 6 classes(3-4 are from dual credit in high school non-science basic classes), and a D. I loved learning the material but wouldn't necessarily study much out side of class, so I would say I wasn't necessarily focused on "good grades". I also haven't take a full course load with the study etiquette I have now but I plan on taking a ~15 hrs next semester.

I have spoke to advisors at TCOM and they advised me to take upper level courses. So since I was out of school for a year I took A&P I and II and I retook Orgo 1 and lab(because I had a C). Currently I am taking biostats(requirement for some schools) and toxicology(new upper level course for me)
Retaking organic isn't going to help you much. Don't retake courses you have a C or higher in. Taking the MCAT twice in one year getting those scores can hurt you. Do not retake it again unless you are consistently scoring well on practices.

Retaking organic isn't going to help you much. Don't retake courses you have a C or higher in. Taking the MCAT twice in one year getting those scores can hurt you. Do not retake it again unless you are consistently scoring well on practices.

Okay, I have heard B or higher. But I guess what's done is done. I do see how taking the MCAT twice in one year can hurt you, but I haven't heard or actually thought about that either, but what done is done. Yeah I want to be scoring higher on practice test then my target just in case. Thanks for all your input!