[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wanted to come back and state that I matched. I was one of the many neurotic people worried about IV numbers in Oct/Nov. In spite of @gamerEMdoc warning us that we would be ok I was one of the ones that freaked out. Hopefully this helps any future anxious applicants

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats!!!! Same here, matched from a TRI!!!!

Congrats!
I am very happy for you ! Out of everyone that applied this year, you're the poster child of the underdog in the match and I was really rooting for you.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever has the unmatched list, I'm sure they will post (or PM me :) )
Just to be clear, it is a Match violation to share the list of open programs. Anyone posting the list (or any portion of it or links to it) will have their account suspended immediately.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to be clear, it is a Match violation to share the list of open programs. Anyone posting the list (or any portion of it or links to it) will have their account suspended immediately.

Oh you had to go ruin the fun. Doesn't someone post it every year?

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, I didn't match. Had 10 interviews by the end of the season although I was someone who was worrying about the low number of IVs I received early in the season. Can't help but feel like the EM specialty has betrayed me and the thought of reapplying next year leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Unfortunately, I didn't match. Had 10 interviews by the end of the season although I was someone who was worrying about the low number of IVs I received early in the season. Can't help but feel like the EM specialty has betrayed me and the thought of reapplying next year leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know the posts of anonymous internet folk can't make this any better, but if EM truly is your dream, I hope you use the example of the 2 posters above and don't give up on it. And if you choose to pursue another option, I hope that the SOAP is kind to you and you end up someplace where you can be happy!

I'm sorry to hear that too, I think what you're feeling is a natural reaction and I don't think you should discount the entire specialty if it really is what you want to do. Really pulling for you and there is obviously a great community here with people who have walked in your shoes. Best of luck to you

I understand the feeling of betrayal, when you did everything you were supposed to do and you didn’t get anything. I had 8 interviews last year and no one had anything bad to say. Statistically, I should have matched as well. Things just didn’t match up last year.

I too didn’t match last year. I didn’t even get anything in SOAP and have spent the last year working in EM research at my home school. I matched this year. Hopefully in EM, but I also applied to FM as well so I have to wait until Friday to see if I get to do EM.

Reactions: 9 users
I feel you brother/sister. We’ll get through this.

Didn’t match to a program with average COMLEX 1/2 scores, passed PE, and 3 solid SLOEs. Not a 99th percentile tester - but my main qualities were my teamwork, work ethic, friendliness, and dedication to the specialty.

Huge shock as my top 3 of 9 programs said I was “a solid candidate who is ranked to match” or “you’ll definitely match here you’re a strong candidate”.

Scrambling to match to a spot now. Would appreciate any help/advice/suggestions anyone has! ERAS has been glitching and went offline yesterday afternoon, adding to this already stressful process.

"ranked to match" means you are literally in the top 10 students if a program has 10 slots. To receive communication like that from a program(s) and then not match at all is grossly unprofessional on their part... and makes me wonder if there's not something else going on.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"ranked to match" means you are literally in the top 10 students if a program has 10 slots. To receive communication like that from a program(s) and then not match at all is grossly unprofessional on their part... and makes me wonder if there's not something else going on.

The problem is programs use that phrase all the time incorrectly. They may see it as "Ranked to Match according to where we've fell in the past" or they straight up lied or OP is misremembering or misinterpreting what they said.

"Ranked to Match according to where we've fell in the past"

This is exactly what it is. They filled high. It's what happened to me last year. I feel that if a program is going to say ranked to match, if you're not in their top XX spots and they have XX spots, they shouldn't say anything at all. It's how people are blindsided on the Monday of Match week.

"Ranked to match" is perhaps a poor term as it doesn't actually mean what you said, although it's clear how one could interpret it that way. Ranked to match means that a program knows how far down their list they typically go each year and that you are within that range. It does not, however, mean you are guaranteed to match.

Like everyone has said a million times every year, ignore whatever communication you get from programs about your interview performance. They are nice gestures, however, it is all non-binding and ultimately meaningless.

Some people just have bad luck unfortunately. One candidate could have 10 interviews and be ranked to match at every single one. If by some stroke of bad luck each one of those programs fills one spot ahead of said candidate, he/she is left unmatched and not for lack of being competitive. It’s a nightmare scenario and would be very unlikely but in a pool of 3000 applicants it happens to a few.

Some people just have bad luck unfortunately. One candidate could have 10 interviews and be ranked to match at every single one. If by some stroke of bad luck each one of those programs fills one spot ahead of said candidate, he/she is left unmatched and not for lack of being competitive. It’s a nightmare scenario and would be very unlikely but in a pool of 3000 applicants it happens to a few.

Always horrible to hear some of these unmatched stories. Many times it comes down to a late sloe that is bad and tarnishes the application. But if places are flat out telling people they are ranked to match and then people go unmatched, thats absurd. I really feel bad for all the candidates who otherwise have a decent app and this happens. Not everyone can match, but its crazy when the process lets good candidates fall through the cracks bc they either didnt apply broadly enough, didnt have enough lower tier backups, or got sandbagged by one bad sloe.

Reactions: 6 users
Didn’t match to a program with average COMLEX 1/2 scores, passed PE, and 3 solid SLOEs. Not a 99th percentile tester - but my main qualities were my teamwork, work ethic, friendliness, and dedication to the specialty.

Huge shock as my top 3 of 9 programs said I was “a solid candidate who is ranked to match” or “you’ll definitely match here you’re a strong candidate”.

Scrambling to match to a spot now. Would appreciate any help/advice/suggestions anyone has! ERAS has been glitching and went offline yesterday afternoon, adding to this already stressful process.
Sorry to hear this. The ERAS system is still being glitchy today, so that programs can not see their applications. So just have to be really patient - more so than in previous years. There were more EM spots open for SOAP this year than in recent years. A few years back, there were essentially no spots in EM for SOAP. Good luck!

I hate to even suggest this, but if programs cant view applicants in order for the soap to work and its already been delayed a day, is there any way this affects the day the match results will be released?

They just sent out an email saying SOAP will be moved to on Thursday with only 2 rounds this year and will not affect friday’s results.

Last edited:
I hate to even suggest this, but if programs cant view applicants in order for the soap to work and its already been delayed a day, is there any way this affects the day the match results will be released?
Doubtful. With medical schools planning match ceremonies in advance I don't see them delaying the Friday match results, especially since the results are already established and just haven't been released.

Always horrible to hear some of these unmatched stories. Many times it comes down to a late sloe that is bad and tarnishes the application. But if places are flat out telling people they are ranked to match and then people go unmatched, thats absurd. I really feel bad for all the candidates who otherwise have a decent app and this happens. Not everyone can match, but its crazy when the process lets good candidates fall through the cracks bc they either didnt apply broadly enough, didnt have enough lower tier backups, or got sandbagged by one bad sloe.

This happened to me. I matched but I applied to IM as a backup and now I am really dreading the possibility on ending up in IM :(

"Ranked to match" is perhaps a poor term as it doesn't actually mean what you said, although it's clear how one could interpret it that way. Ranked to match means that a program knows how far down their list they typically go each year and that you are within that range. It does not, however, mean you are guaranteed to match.

Like everyone has said a million times every year, ignore whatever communication you get from programs about your interview performance. They are nice gestures, however, it is all non-binding and ultimately meaningless.

What you are describing can be more accurately described as "Ranked to probably match." Saying "Ranked to match" in that scenario is just disingenuous. It's kind of like me saying to my third-ranked program "if ranked highly, I will attend your program" (because 77% of applicants end up in one of their top 3 ranks). I should only be sending that email to my top choice.

has anyone matched in EM without SVI this year?

This happened to me. I matched but I applied to IM as a backup and now I am really dreading the possibility on ending up in IM :(

Same boat but with FM instead of IM. I hope like heck I don't end up in FM, but will be happier than if I had gone unmatched. It's my own fault since I'm not a great candidate on paper and I own that. At least I know the FM programs where I interviewed had genuinely nice people. Preparing to be a bit disappointed but hoping that a miracle occurs.

Same boat but with FM instead of IM. I hope like heck I don't end up in FM, but will be happier than if I had gone unmatched. It's my own fault since I'm not a great candidate on paper and I own that. At least I know the FM programs where I interviewed had genuinely nice people. Preparing to be a bit disappointed but hoping that a miracle occurs.

Same. Applied FM as backup. They’re nice people and I’d probably be happy in FM. I just want to do EM more.

Can anyone who is familiar with the SOAP tell me if it is smarter to use all 45 applications in the first round? Or should you save some of them for the 2nd round?

Can anyone who is familiar with the SOAP tell me if it is smarter to use all 45 applications in the first round? Or should you save some of them for the 2nd round?
You should use all of your applications first round as that's when most of the interviews/offers come out. Check the reddit SOAP discussion for more info.

If you didn't already then it's probably too late and save what you have left for 2nd round.

Because there are spots that the military funds at civilian residency programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The release of Match results will not be affected.

Matched at my #2. Congratulations to everybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Did you end up EM or FM? I ended up FM at a good program. Sad but not devastated.

This is the kind of scenario that terrifies me about reapplying next year as a TY resident. Statistically I know I pretty much have to apply to a backup specialty if EM doesn't work out, but deep down I also know I'd be extremely unhappy/unsatisfied doing anything other than EM. Sigh...

This is the kind of scenario that terrifies me about reapplying next year as a TY resident. Statistically I know I pretty much have to apply to a backup specialty if EM doesn't work out, but deep down I also know I'd be extremely unhappy/unsatisfied doing anything other than EM. Sigh...

That was my fear as well, I got lucky and landed my #1 EM this year coming out of a TY. Depending on the TY/TRI, especially if it linked to an EM program, you might have a better shot. Plus, there are probably 4 new EM programs slated in April that will be interviewing for a July 1 start date. Your TY PD may let you out of your contract if you can land at one of them (mine made that offer to me last year.)

That was my fear as well, I got lucky and landed my #1 EM this year coming out of a TY. Depending on the TY/TRI, especially if it linked to an EM program, you might have a better shot. Plus, there are probably 4 new EM programs slated in April that will be interviewing for a July 1 start date. Your TY PD may let you out of your contract if you can land at one of them (mine made that offer to me last year.)

Good to know. Luckily I am at a TY with an attached EM residency. Did you feel like you were significantly disadvantaged as a re-applicant? Also, how many interviews can one realistically go on as a resident?

Good to know. Luckily I am at a TY with an attached EM residency. Did you feel like you were significantly disadvantaged as a re-applicant? Also, how many interviews can one realistically go on as a resident?

I did feel some disadvantage, since reapplicants seem to be frowned upon. EM programs that have either taken TY's, attached to TRI's, or had had one at the institution previously seemed to be ok with me. Realistically, you can go on 4-5. I had 2 outside, 1 at my home program and 1 at ACOEP. My TY holds 5 vacation days in reserve for us for interview, plus I was able to work my schedule around interview season. Also, programs that get accredited in January may do phone interviews (they did this year), that could increase your interview numbers

Matched at my number 8, would have been happy anywhere above that but feel miserable now. Was told I was extremely competitive the entire time and would likely match to my number 1. I'm convinced no one knows anything and just spouts random BS. I feel sick. Might not accept my position. Have been feeling conflicted about medicine and residency for a while now and maybe this seals it. Happy for you guys who matched where you wanted to go and grateful for those of you who still want to practice medicine. I'm just not sure if its for me.

Matched at my number 8, would have been happy anywhere above that but feel miserable now. Was told I was extremely competitive the entire time and would likely match to my number 1. I'm convinced no one knows anything and just spouts random BS. I feel sick. Might not accept my position. Have been feeling conflicted about medicine and residency for a while now and maybe this seals it. Happy for you guys who matched where you wanted to go and grateful for those of you who still want to practice medicine. I'm just not sure if its for me.

While I understand your dissapointment, why did you even rank somewhere you didnt want to go? If you prefered going unmatched (ie not taking the spot you got) to matching there, why rank it?

Reactions: 7 users
Man I went down to my #6 and was also super depressed on match day. So I get the feeling. All I can say is it worked out for me.

I am feeling really anxious about my prospects. I am sitting on only my home institution interview and my post away interview. So 2 interviews out of 45 and rejected from 2 so far. I thought I had applied to a broad set of competitive-ness levels, but maybe not?

I really confused about what is happening. I am an average MD applicant stat-wise other then a terrible SVI score. Step1 240 and Step2 241. I have a fair number of publications and EC. I honored my away Sub-I and near honored my home sub-internship so I was hopeful that my SLOEs would be ok, but I am assuming they did not turn out as great as I had hoped. Is EM just way more competitive this year or what? Beside the SVI, what did I do wrong??

I am going to apply to more programs today, but any advise out there for picking programs that are looking for someone like me? Are there plenty of schools that are just waiting to send out interviews to the next tier as the top one starts canceling? All the promises of "waves" seemed to pass me by. :( Am I screwed at this point ? ?

I just wanted to follow-up on this post for people that scan these forum next year for some guidance for their situation.

I am happy to report that I matched. Which I am excited and very pleased about. What is somewhat shocking that I have to report is that I only got 1 interview from the first 45 schools I applied to initially (and this was an interview in January). I added another 45 schools to my list and ended up having 8 interviews overall. I matched at my number 7.

Coming from a well respected school on the West Coast, I had expected a different outcome. However, I had classmates in similar situations that matched very low on their list and one that did not match to EM at all. I am not sure what the underlying factor was for our troubles, but several of them were told that they had some unfavorable comments on their SLOEs that seemed to be their only red flag.

Things that seemed to help in my situation and some of my classmates for people next year.
- Apply to more schools if you are not getting responses. If I had not added more schools I would have not matched. I would have liked to stay on in the West and literally did not interview at a single western school outside of my home institution and my away. Broaden your scope. Apply to places outside of major cities or the ignored programs in cities with very prominent EM programs or many programs.
- Writing letters of interest is helpful. One of my classmates scored 5 more interviews at the end of the interview season with this. Timing and content seemed important for this. If you have something really important that you can contribute to the program, important updates, and connections to the program-- that is really essential for letters of interest. I also think there are time periods that PD's are more likely to be considering applicants. Like the end of the season when PDs have sudden openings due to people dropping out in January or in other time periods where momentum might be dying down.
Take note that there was a reason that these programs overlooked you initially though. You will have to bring something to interview day to wow them or convince them you are a good fit. Otherwise you will not be high on their list.
- Do what you can to make your SLOE content perfect. Obviously this is not always in your control and you aren't able to really know it is a problem until it is too late, but every day on your away is an interview that might follow you through your interview season.
- Talk to the year that graduated before you. We realized later that two EM applicants had SOAPed the year before us and there were a couple people with <= 5 interviews applying in to EM that matched. Our advisors did not talk to us about these situations even though they were not so different from ours. These are red flags for the middle ground candidates that might suggest you should dual apply if SOAPing represents a nightmare you cannot fathom or you would actually be very happy with something like anesthesia that you cannot SOAP into.

The process of matching to EM when you have been seemingly pushed out for unknown reason is challenging and demoralizing, but just do what you can and realize that so much of this is not in your control. If anyone wants to contact me, I would be happy to talk to you.

Reactions: 3 users

Not accepting your position would be a really REALLY stupid move unless you are debt free, independently wealthy and are comfortable cutting ties with medicine forever.

It's ok to be disappointed for a few days but then it's time to get ready to get in the mindset of starting residency. Guess what? After you graduate, nobody cares where you trained. As long as you're ABEM/ABOEM nothing matters. Unless of course you're one of those crazies that wants to take a 60% pay cut to go work in some over-saturated market in academics.

Really comes down to....do you want a job or not?

Reactions: 4 users
Matched EM. Not the ED I’ve been working for the last year (talk about a slap in the face) but EM nonetheless.

Reactions: 11 users