[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When is it appropriate for me to contact the SLOE writers about when my letters will get uploaded? I'm getting nervous that they forgot about me but I don't want to annoy them.

They will get them in, don't worry. Most programs write all their SLOEs right around this time. If they aren't in by the third week of Sept, I don't think it's unreasonable to send a friendly email to the program coordinator to just make sure the letter writer doesn't need any further info, but honestly, I'd imagine by that point your letters will be done.

As an example, our program had our SLOE committee meeting a week ago, and this past Monday I spent 5 hours or so writing all the SLOEs. Got them all uploaded before the deadline.

Just gotta trust the process.
 
I ended up getting high pass at my home rotation, so at best I think my first SLOE will be top 1/3 and at worst middle 1/3. I think I’ve done much better on this away rotation that ends later this week, but that SLOE likely won’t be in til the second week in October. Will the first less than stellar SLOE make most programs I apply to pass over me, or will they keep looking for updates to see if I have new factors that might make them want to interview me?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.... not to mention the cost of 2 new suits, some dress shirts, a couple new ties, and new cherry-brown shoes to go with the suits.... costs are adding up quickly!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
HELP! I just submitted my application and I didn't realize you had to assign documents before you applied. I assigned the documents within 15 minutes of applying and all of my stuff (3 SLOEs, board scores) are ready. Do the applications get downloaded instantly (ie did I just send them a blank application) or since I added documents right away after will I be fine? Basically do I need to contact programs to re-download my blank file? @gamerEMdoc can you comment on this?
 
Last edited:
HELP! I just submitted my application and I didn't realize you had to assign documents before you applied. I assigned the documents within 15 minutes of applying and all of my stuff (3 SLOEs, board scores) are ready. Do the applications get downloaded instantly (ie did I just send them a blank application) or since I added documents right away after will I be fine? Basically do I need to contact programs to re-download my blank file? @gamerEMdoc can you comment on this?

I think you’ll be okay . It’ll be complete now


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
HELP! I just submitted my application and I didn't realize you had to assign documents before you applied. I assigned the documents within 15 minutes of applying and all of my stuff (3 SLOEs, board scores) are ready. Do the applications get downloaded instantly (ie did I just send them a blank application) or since I added documents right away after will I be fine? Basically do I need to contact programs to re-download my blank file? @gamerEMdoc can you comment on this?
haha yes you are completely and utterly 100% fine. Probably better than most, as you got everything in the very first day ERAS opened.
 
.... not to mention the cost of 2 new suits, some dress shirts, a couple new ties, and new cherry-brown shoes to go with the suits.... costs are adding up quickly!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 new suits? Lol dude I got into medical school with a suit from the goodwill. Only reason to buy more suits is if you want to, which seems like a large waste of money for someone who probably has a negative income...but you do you.
 
2 new suits? Lol dude I got into medical school with a suit from the goodwill. Only reason to buy more suits is if you want to, which seems like a large waste of money for someone who probably has a negative income...but you do you.

Didn’t own a suit. Lost it in my move after graduate school before medical school. I think it’s also a bit risky having one suit if you plan on interviewing at a lot of places. Plus it was BOGO Jos A Bank. Gotta do you. I actually had an income last year during my research year. [emoji123]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thank god. That would have been an awkward email. "Um yes hi, I applied to your program with just my transcript. Not even a photo" :laugh:
I honestly didn't realize that you assign stuff before you apply. I applied then assigned all my stuff, but I did it a few days ago, so I'm just assuming it all downloaded yesterday.

I guess that's good to know if I need to apply anywhere else for some reason.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I honestly didn't realize that you assign stuff before you apply. I applied then assigned all my stuff, but I did it a few days ago, so I'm just assuming it all downloaded yesterday.

I guess that's good to know if I need to apply anywhere else for some reason.
I didn't either until my friend told me. DO student here so our school doesn't help us out with ERAS.
 
There’s actually an “Assignments Report” option under Programs that will show you what’s been assigned to each program. And the Assignments Checklist is an easy place to see if all programs have been assigned the other stuff like transcripts, dean’s letter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Has anyone received any invites or rejections? I have only received one email stating they have received my application. Not totally sure as to when EM invites are commonly sent
 
Will programs see the distribution of H/HP/P/F for away rotation grades? And if it's dependent on the institution where you rotated, would it be unwise to call and ask them about it?
If it's on your SLOE I imagine they will....also how do you know what your SLOE said? I'm curious to know what feedback is on there for SLOEs in general.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I’m a current R1 who matched after a lot of encouragement and advice from the great people on this website. I ended up putting together a (hopefully) helpful walkthrough of the application process for my medical school which quickly ballooned into a 40 page document. I ultimately decided to stick it on a website so everyone can access it. I certainly don’t want to sound like I’m trying to spam or self-promote myself so I’ll just leave this here this one time. I think we are getting to a point that people start to get anxious, so I hope that hearing things from the perspective of someone that just went through the same process is useful to you all:

eminsider.com/application-guide


It’s still a bit rough and it’s something I am planning on constantly updating and getting feedback to make more accurate so I’d greatly appreciate any comments any of you veterans here might have. I really benefited from the collective wisdom here last year so I just wanted to be a part of helping out subsequent EM classes.
bless you 🙂

do you see any difference in timeline for applications being send out given that ACEP is Oct 1 this year ?
 
bless you 🙂

do you see any difference in timeline for applications being send out given that ACEP is Oct 1 this year ?
Last year I didn’t really get any interviews until November and then all of a sudden I had 8 in 1-2 weeks (ACEP was particularly late in the year). So yes I would imagine the timeline would shift earlier by a few weeks. 100% don’t expect anything until after oct 4 though. I think there might have been some EM invites sent out already but that would be the overwhelming minority. Dont get discouraged hearing about people in other specialties getting interviews already. You’ll come to find the application processes are far more different between specialities than you might imagine.
 
What is everyones take on attending the residency fair at ACEP? Will PDs really be there? Does it increase likelihood of an interview? Thanks!
IMO it's a good way to network with programs. It might help if you're trying to expand outside of your geographic region, or separate your app from the pile to get eyes on it. I think it would increase your likelihood of an interview, but "how much" is the question, and is it worth the expense? For the most part, you'll talk with a resident for a few minutes and write your name down to "prove" that you visited them. It would also help to follow up your visit with an email reaffirming your desire to interview at their program. Again, how much this helps is hard to quantify.
 
What is everyones take on attending the residency fair at ACEP? Will PDs really be there? Does it increase likelihood of an interview? Thanks!

For what it's worth, a senior resident at one of my away rotations told me she got several interviews by attending the residency fair and expressing her interest in programs. She said it especially helps if you don't otherwise have a tie to the school or region. I'm trying to go west without any ties so I'm banking on showing up in person being more impactful than an email stating my interest. Also it's in San Diego and I hear it's quite the party so it's basically a mini vaca between finishing my last away and starting interview season.
 
I would love to go, but I don't see how it's possible a lot people afford this, especially after needing to plan for interviews and dropping like two grand for applications.

It’s a drop in the bucket for many people so they spend the money. I easily over applied and it was mainly due to the fear of not matching. Will I regret it ? Not if I match


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
It’s a drop in the bucket for many people so they spend the money. I easily over applied and it was mainly due to the fear of not matching. Will I regret it ? Not if I match


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not convinced the residency fair makes that big of a difference. When I went to a regional SAEM conference / SAEM18 residency fair and asked if they would be at ACEP, many PDs said they get so many CVs and see so many applicants that it’s more beneficial for applicants to get a feel for a program than to make connections. If you have like an extra $500-$600 you can spend, go for it. If not, it’s honestly probably at the margins of beneficial w/ not much evidence and more unconfirmed anecdote. YMMV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Didn’t own a suit. Lost it in my move after graduate school before medical school. I think it’s also a bit risky having one suit if you plan on interviewing at a lot of places. Plus it was BOGO Jos A Bank. Gotta do you. I actually had an income last year during my research year. [emoji123]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha you make a valid argument, I submit.
 
I would love to go, but I don't see how it's possible a lot people afford this, especially after needing to plan for interviews and dropping like two grand for applications.

Right? Unlucky that it's on the opposite coast for me this year
It’s a drop in the bucket for many people so they spend the money. I easily over applied and it was mainly due to the fear of not matching. Will I regret it ? Not if I match


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
$500-600 a drop in the bucket?! can they lend me some then?