[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Got an interview invite today but was at an end of my shift so I didn't see it until about an hour after it was sent. By that time all spots were full. Is this normal?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview scheduling q: I'm planning to take Step 2 CK Nov 10th...will be studying from Mid october. Anyone have any idea how hard it will be to schedule all of my interviews after Nov. 10th? Will I be eliminating myself from some programs with this limitation?
 
Good luck everyone. May the force be with y'all. The cycle is very, very stressful. I remember how my first cycle was and how stressful it was. I remember not getting enough interviews and such.

Question for the reapplicants, is there any reason why y'all are applying to so few programs instead of shotgun applying to more programs? I took a quick look at the googledoc. I ask because I am curious. As a reapplicant I applied to a bunch, a whole whole bunch.
 
Right? Unlucky that it's on the opposite coast for me this year

$500-600 a drop in the bucket?! can they lend me some then?

Schools will often pay for conferences. Mine paid enough to cover hotel, half of travel, and the conference itself. And when your loans are in the 200-300k range, $500 definitely does feel pretty minimal if it even marginally can improve your chances at matching.
 
Good luck everyone. May the force be with y'all. The cycle is very, very stressful. I remember how my first cycle was and how stressful it was. I remember not getting enough interviews and such.

Question for the reapplicants, is there any reason why y'all are applying to so few programs instead of shotgun applying to more programs? I took a quick look at the googledoc. I ask because I am curious. As a reapplicant I applied to a bunch, a whole whole bunch.

For me, it’s because I know I’m not competitive for a lot of places. Why would I apply to Carolinas or Vandy or the west coast? For ****s & giggles? That’s just throwing money away. There’s so many people trying to go there that aren’t reapplicants and have better boards. I’m focusing my application on community programs & programs in my region. It’s where I have the best chance. I feel a strategic approach will net me just as many invites as a wider net. It’ll just save me a few grand in applications fees.

And I have backup specialties I’m applying to as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Schools will often pay for conferences. Mine paid enough to cover hotel, half of travel, and the conference itself. And when your loans are in the 200-300k range, $500 definitely does feel pretty minimal if it even marginally can improve your chances at matching.

Lucky ducks. My school doesn't give us a dime.
 
For me, it’s because I know I’m not competitive for a lot of places. Why would I apply to Carolinas or Vandy or the west coast? For ****s & giggles? That’s just throwing money away. There’s so many people trying to go there that aren’t reapplicants and have better boards. I’m focusing my application on community programs & programs in my region. It’s where I have the best chance. I feel a strategic approach will net me just as many invites as a wider net. It’ll just save me a few grand in applications fees.

And I have backup specialties I’m applying to as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Applying smart if you have a good idea of your competitiveness makes far more sense than spamming every program. The number of interviews you get is not necessarily related to how many programs you applied to, but rather what programs you apply to.
 
Who’s managing the spreadsheet? It’s missing several of the newer programs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Not convinced the residency fair makes that big of a difference. When I went to a regional SAEM conference / SAEM18 residency fair and asked if they would be at ACEP, many PDs said they get so many CVs and see so many applicants that it’s more beneficial for applicants to get a feel for a program than to make connections. If you have like an extra $500-$600 you can spend, go for it. If not, it’s honestly probably at the margins of beneficial w/ not much evidence and more unconfirmed anecdote. YMMV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All depends on the program. If you have a strong application, the residency fair probably isnt worth your money, you are going to get plenty of interviews. But if someone out there is scrounging for every last interview, I think it can help if they are smart and target programs that they may have a chance at but may have overlooked them bc of geography or board cutoffs.

We interviewed several last year that we only met through the fair, and since Im going this year, Im hoping to expand on that a bit and try and meet as many potential applicants as I can.

As a side note, Im still wondering how I can sneak into the EMRA event later that evening and get some drinks 🙂
 
Unity Health in Arkansas in now ACGME, and Loyola is a new program.

Merit Health Wesley - Mississippi
HCA West Florida/Brandon
HCA West Florida/Oak Hill
Oklahoma State (Norman)
Eisenhower Medical Center (CA)
Beaumont Health (Trenton & Dearborn) (MI)
FSU Sarasota (FL)
Univ of Vermont
St Joseph’s Medical Center (CA)
Charleston Area Medical Center (WV)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A few q's

1) Has the date that many of the county programs (and thus, many others) will release interviews been decided? Most websites still say Oct 11, 2017

2) Do I need to make an interview broker account or do I just use the links schools send?

I was able to just click on the interview broker link, no signup required!
 
A few q's

1) Has the date that many of the county programs (and thus, many others) will release interviews been decided? Most websites still say Oct 11, 2017

2) Do I need to make an interview broker account or do I just use the links schools send?

Ny county programs date I saw om CORD was indeed Oct 11
 
Question-
If you get an interview in a geographic location that has a few programs and will require significant investment for travel, can you reach out to other programs in that area that you are interested in and see if you can schedule an interview in the same week to minimize travel? kind of like what people that are couples matching do for their spouses or is that frowned upon?
 
Question-
If you get an interview in a geographic location that has a few programs and will require significant investment for travel, can you reach out to other programs in that area that you are interested in and see if you can schedule an interview in the same week to minimize travel? kind of like what people that are couples matching do for their spouses or is that frowned upon?

I was able to do that last year. It really depends on if there’s room. The program I interviewed at used ERAS scheduler for initial scheduling then via email for rescheduling. You just have to stay on top of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I was able to do that last year. It really depends on if there’s room. The program I interviewed at used ERAS scheduler for initial scheduling then via email for rescheduling. You just have to stay on top of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Who do you email in those situations? The PD? The Program coordinator. I have an interview at a program and there is another program close by that is also sending out invites, is it worth it to reach out?
 
Who do you email in those situations? The PD? The Program coordinator. I have an interview at a program and there is another program close by that is also sending out invites, is it worth it to reach out?

Program coordinator. It is INCREDIBLY early to be contacting programs. ERAS has only been open a week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Merit Health Wesley - Mississippi
HCA West Florida/Brandon
HCA West Florida/Oak Hill
Oklahoma State (Norman)
Eisenhower Medical Center (CA)
Beaumont Health (Trenton & Dearborn) (MI)
FSU Sarasota (FL)
Univ of Vermont
St Joseph’s Medical Center (CA)
Charleston Area Medical Center (WV)

Edited: Just FYI, Norman is for sure NOT matching ACGME this year, despite being ACGME accredited...
 
Last edited:
How are people interpreting the spreadsheet? A couple places I applied have sent out non AI invites. I'm complete; three SLOEs, all scores in. Do you figure you're just out of luck since other places fill immediately?
That's the beauty of my beloved/behated creation: you can look at last year's spreadsheet to see if a program sent out just one round of interviews or multiple!
 
How are people interpreting the spreadsheet? A couple places I applied have sent out non AI invites. I'm complete; three SLOEs, all scores in. Do you figure you're just out of luck since other places fill immediately?

Seems like some programs are sending invites out this year before October than last year, when last year they sent out invites mid-October. Wonder what’s changed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
How are people interpreting the spreadsheet? A couple places I applied have sent out non AI invites. I'm complete; three SLOEs, all scores in. Do you figure you're just out of luck since other places fill immediately?

I certainly wouldn't count anything out just yet. There are so many variables beyond who rotated where that just can't be accounted for on the spreadsheet, and with just a small percentage of applicants on the spreadsheet, it's really hard to tell how large any particular wave of invites actually is - I would imagine some programs send smaller batches than others. Try to keep the faith - it's very much early days!

(and yes, this is what I tell myself everyday to quell the anxiety)
 
My advisor told me a lot of US MD people who are AOA seem to be getting early invites because they don’t need the MSPE to tell them what kind of student you are. Not sure if this makes any sense given our transcripts are uploaded lol, but just passing along what I was told (though he was admittedly just speculating why more early ones seem to have gone out this year). Keep the faith everyone
 
I completely get the advice to take vacation for peak interview season but some us (hi :hello:) don't get that luxury. Is it taboo to ask programs what their policy is on missing days to attend interviews? Right now I'm double booked in December and one of the programs just emailed to ask me for requested days off as time requested once the schedule is made is NOT GUARANTEED. Um, what? Do you realize interview invites haven't come out? Lemme look into my crystal ball and see the future :wtf:
 
I completely get the advice to take vacation for peak interview season but some us (hi :hello:) don't get that luxury. Is it taboo to ask programs what their policy is on missing days to attend interviews? Right now I'm double booked in December and one of the programs just emailed to ask me for requested days off as time requested once the schedule is made is NOT GUARANTEED. Um, what? Do you realize interview invites haven't come out? Lemme look into my crystal ball and see the future :wtf:

I may be alone here, but I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "programs"? Your home institution is the one that you need to worry about giving you adequate time off to interview.
 
Has anyone had an interview extended to them via interview broker but does not have the interview show up in eras invitations section?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My advisor told me a lot of US MD people who are AOA seem to be getting early invites because they don’t need the MSPE to tell them what kind of student you are. Not sure if this makes any sense given our transcripts are uploaded lol, but just passing along what I was told (though he was admittedly just speculating why more early ones seem to have gone out this year). Keep the faith everyone

Believe this is correct. With AOA they can assume your class rank. Without it, transcripts don't reflect class rank, comments, etc so I assume programs wait to view MSPE before sending invites to the majority of non-AOA.
 
Has anyone had an interview extended to them via interview broker but does not have the interview show up in eras invitations section?
Last year, interview broker was totally separate from ERAS interviews. Did that change? If not, what you're seeing is likely within normal limits haha
 
Believe this is correct. With AOA they can assume your class rank. Without it, transcripts don't reflect class rank, comments, etc so I assume programs wait to view MSPE before sending invites to the majority of non-AOA.

So much for "P = MD, just worry about Step scores" - my Step 1 score is above interquartile range for EM according to NRMP data. Not AOA. Class rank is squarely middle of the pack. Sitting with only one invite right now from home program (which I am absolutely grateful for and would be happy matching at my home program.)

Horoscope says October will be fruitful because one of my houses is rising on some planet star alignment galaxy BS blah blah.
 
Last edited:
For those planning on attending the Residency fair in San Diego: anybody know if the event is free/open to public? I can't make it for any of the other days and wanted to know if I could just show up Sunday.
 
For those planning on attending the Residency fair in San Diego: anybody know if the event is free/open to public? I can't make it for any of the other days and wanted to know if I could just show up Sunday.
Not open to public, but free for EMRA members.
 
Awesome. I just saw registration closed for the Medical Student Forum, hope they have some openings for the Residency Fair.
If you get your registration in for the residency fair, you should still show up to the forum. There are usually a handful of no shows so you might be able to slip in. It's informative too if you haven't been to one before.
 
If you get your registration in for the residency fair, you should still show up to the forum. There are usually a handful of no shows so you might be able to slip in. It's informative too if you haven't been to one before.

Stupid question but how do you register for the fair? Every time I click the link it sends me to the link for programs and not students.
 
All depends on the program. If you have a strong application, the residency fair probably isnt worth your money, you are going to get plenty of interviews. But if someone out there is scrounging for every last interview, I think it can help if they are smart and target programs that they may have a chance at but may have overlooked them bc of geography or board cutoffs.

We interviewed several last year that we only met through the fair, and since Im going this year, Im hoping to expand on that a bit and try and meet as many potential applicants as I can.

As a side note, Im still wondering how I can sneak into the EMRA event later that evening and get some drinks 🙂

I will trade EMRA name tag for a residency interview lol
 
Stupid question but how do you register for the fair? Every time I click the link it sends me to the link for programs and not students.
You as a student do not need to register for the residency fair in order to attend. Only programs have to register in order to get a booth. You do, however, need to register for the conference itself, which will get you into the fair.
 
I may be alone here, but I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "programs"? Your home institution is the one that you need to worry about giving you adequate time off to interview.

DO students don't get to take 6-8 weeks off for interviews so we still have to go on rotations. We also don't have 'home programs' so every single rotation in 4th year is an away rotation. So the rotation I have scheduled in December sent me an email with this today "If you know that you are going to need a specific day off (e.g. for an interview) during the rotation, please let us know ASAP. We will work to get that time off for you, but it is not guaranteed".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You as a student do not need to register for the residency fair in order to attend. Only programs have to register in order to get a booth. You do, however, need to register for the conference itself, which will get you into the fair.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. The EMRA website says that it is free, but on ACEP, it wants to charge me ~$200 to register for the conference.
 
Sorry, I'm a little confused. The EMRA website says that it is free, but on ACEP, it wants to charge me ~$200 to register for the conference.
Correct. The EMRA stuff is free and "separate" from ACEP. As far as I could see on the website, the EMRA stuff is sold out. The click box for EMRA won't click to register.
 
Last edited:
Correct. The EMRA stuff is free and "separate" from ACEP. As far as I could see on the website, the EMRA stuff is sold out. The click box for EMRA won't click to register. So, in order to get in at this point you would have to pay for the ACEP entry and just go to the EMRA stuff. Student rate should be cheaper than $200 for the single day admission.

Ah, ok thanks. Yeah, it's weird for me. On my ACEP page, it still has the $200 fees but it also has the EMRA forum checked for $75 and it won't let me uncheck it. At the same time, the EMRA website said that they've closed forum registration. :shrug: Guess I'll contact them directly.
 
Incredibly silly question but what are people thinking of wearing to the EMRA residency fair? Full suits or more business casual attire?