[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

For those still trying to figure out how to sign-up for the residency fair, this is the response I received from an EMRA rep:

"If you are attending just the EMRA events (other than the Medical Student Forum), you don't have to register. Just show up.

If you are wanting to attend the classes at ACEP18, then you would need to register."
 
Incredibly silly question but what are people thinking of wearing to the EMRA residency fair? Full suits or more business casual attire?

Suit and a top hat, like this guy.

KwiojjJSEaXIEaa-800x450-noPad.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still no interviews. above avg board scores, md, good sloes from what i was told. applied super super broadly. starting to think im in trouble.
I read/heard somewhere (I don't remember currently) that only 6% of EM programs send interviews before 10/01, most of us don't have any interviews haha
 
I read/heard somewhere (I don't remember currently) that only 6% of EM programs send interviews before 10/01, most of us don't have any interviews haha

Maybe it’s just me but I applied to former AOA that are now acgme / dual accredited spots and I have 3 invite. So don’t freak out. Everyone’s right about the wait for mspes


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I hope this will ease everyone's minds about interviews. This is 84 program directors polled from NRMP data. I just wanted to encourage everyone that we are all in the same boat and to not freak out! Most interviews extended between October and November when MSPE goes out. Only 6% before. We are all good fam!

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 11.33.36 AM.png
 
I hope this will ease everyone's minds about interviews. This is 84 program directors polled from NRMP data. I just wanted to encourage everyone that we are all in the same boat and to not freak out! Most interviews extended between October and November when MSPE goes out. Only 6% before. We are all good fam!

View attachment 240172

The thing is I think we’re at 15% of programs right now I you tally it up and don’t include the one’s with only AIs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I hope this will ease everyone's minds about interviews. This is 84 program directors polled from NRMP data. I just wanted to encourage everyone that we are all in the same boat and to not freak out! Most interviews extended between October and November when MSPE goes out. Only 6% before. We are all good fam!

View attachment 240172
The thing is I think we’re at 15% of programs right now I you tally it up and don’t include the one’s with only AIs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it reflects % of Interviews extended, not % of programs extending.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, that isn't good advice. Anyone that told you that you just have to pass your classes and score good enough on boards and that will guarantee a match in EM doesn't understand how to match in EM.

Not specifically about the match into EM, but graduating and matching. I guess Family Medicine in Manitoba has its perks?
 
Quick question, I just received my first SLOE today and was wondering if I should be updating programs at this point? Thanks and good luck everyone!
 
Question about Home Program Interview:

Is it nothing more than a courtesy interview? I love my home hospital and would be happy staying for residency - but unsure if it is just a courtesy interview. I like to think program would not waste an interview spot if they wouldn't seriously consider ranking me / ranking me to match. Applying with a red-flag hence the self-doubt.

Any insights appreciated.
 
Question about Home Program Interview:

Is it nothing more than a courtesy interview? I love my home hospital and would be happy staying for residency - but unsure if it is just a courtesy interview. I like to think program would not waste an interview spot if they wouldn't seriously consider ranking me / ranking me to match. Applying with a red-flag hence the self-doubt.

Any insights appreciated.
As with all things...it's program-dependent. My home program interviewed all of us. Sorry, I wish I could be more encouraging!
 
Question about Home Program Interview:

Is it nothing more than a courtesy interview? I love my home hospital and would be happy staying for residency - but unsure if it is just a courtesy interview. I like to think program would not waste an interview spot if they wouldn't seriously consider ranking me / ranking me to match. Applying with a red-flag hence the self-doubt.

Any insights appreciated.
How is the answer to your question going to change your approach to the interview and ROL?

If your response is anything other than "it won't", then you're doing the Match wrong and should probably just quit now.

Every interview you get is a chance to match. Treat it as such.
 
How is the answer to your question going to change your approach to the interview and ROL?

If your response is anything other than "it won't", then you're doing the Match wrong and should probably just quit now.

Every interview you get is a chance to match. Treat it as such.

Does not change management, but gives insight to relative merits of application and insodoing, extends peace of mind 🙂
 
This is true. Programs cannot view MSPE until 10/1 which is why (along with ACEP, and the county program release date) almost all programs don't release interviews until early/mid October. This isn't like peds or medicine where they fill up their interviews with grade and score cutoffs in the first few weeks.
What do you mean the county release date?
 
Quick question, I just received my first SLOE today and was wondering if I should be updating programs at this point? Thanks and good luck everyone!
I don't think you need to update anyone specifically. Make sure you go on ERAS and assign the letter to the programs and save it. That should be enough this early on.
 
So ive got an interview October 10th... how screwed am I in terms of missing a bunch of good dates being unable to schedule during that time when the huge interview release day comes? lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah but my overall application is above average so I'm really confused as to why I haven't received any interviews.
How many places did you apply to? It also depends on how many and where specifically. I don't think you need to be worried right now. Next week more will go out after Dean's letter.

Has this actually been stated by any PDs or is it just another ERAS rumor? Anyone have anything solid to back this up???
This is solid, was told from someone legit haha. Just take my word for it. It's more like "a lot of" county programs.
 
I applied to 90+ programs.
If it helps, I also applied to a million and I don't have any interviews either and I think I'm also above avg to an extent, and I'm chilling. I also only know of 1 friend out of like 12 with any EM interviews so far. You probs still freaking out though, so I'll recommend trying to do things to pass the time haha. I realize this is residency apps, no one is going to chill fully until match day. Good luck to you sir/mam!
 
Question

after scheduling an interview on ERAS, do they send any sort of confirmation for the interview date?
 
Is it reasonable to think invites won't really be going out this week since most PDs will be at ACEP?
That's what I expect. There seemed to be a little flurry of invites yesterday, and they'll probably start reading most apps Monday when the MSPE is released.
 
Is it reasonable to think invites won't really be going out this week since most PDs will be at ACEP?

Hard to tell. I think 40% of the programs I applied to are not having a table at the EMRA residency fair... does that mean the PDs aren’t at ACEP? No clue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That's what I expect. There seemed to be a little flurry of invites yesterday, and they'll probably start reading most apps Monday when the MSPE is released.

If I had to guess I would think the surge will probably start more towards the end of next week and then a lot the week after


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
hey guys so I just noticed a massive typo on my mspe specifically for my third year EM clerkship. My name was misspelled- could be an error from the school coordinator or the attending, not sure. But how ****ed am I? I emailed my school coordinator but doubt it would be fixed before Monday, not even sure if they can re-upload it at this point since I do see the mspe as already uploaded on my eras. Will programs care? Worst feeling ever right now...
 
hey guys so I just noticed a massive typo on my mspe specifically for my third year EM clerkship. My name was misspelled- could be an error from the school coordinator or the attending, not sure. But how ****ed am I? I emailed my school coordinator but doubt it would be fixed before Monday, not even sure if they can re-upload it at this point since I do see the mspe as already uploaded on my eras. Will programs care? Worst feeling ever right now...

You are not the author of your MSPE. Programs know that. I cannot see how that would reflect poorly on you. That would be insane.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what are the opinions on newer programs (e.g next years class would be 3rd or 4th year), especially if they have students from strong md schools?

+1. Anything we should be looking out for in these? Is losing accreditation an issue or anything (I'm oblivious to that part of it)? There is one program that I'm really interested in and I would be the 3rd class. Have heard great things.