2018-2019 PM&R Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

claner1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! 3rd year med student from TX applying to PM&R this fall. SDN has been hugely helpful for me throughout pre-med/med school so I thought I'd start a discussion thread as many of us start to plan away rotations. Hope to build a resourceful community on here as we trek through this whole process together. I'm hoping we can flood each others' questions regarding all things VSAS/timeline/stats/program characteristics/student expectations/etc.

Just to note, places I'm applying for are:
Spaulding
Mayo
UW
RIC
Stanford
UTSW

I've already confirmed a spot at Stanford for Oct 22- Nov 16.

Looking forward to hearing from all you PM&R applicants, and here's to our 4th year friends who find out where they'll match in 3 days.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just a heads up that an away at Stanford doesn't guarantee an interview

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I've heard the same. Apparently they interview pretty sparsely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one scheduled for UNC Charlotte and am about to send in some more applications on VSAS. Frustrated that all the programs I'm interested in open tomorrow at the latest except for UAB which is my number 1.

Looking at Vandy, Minnesota, Wake, Kansas, Tennessee, Emory, Brown, Kentucky. Really trying to stay in the SE but a few other programs that are open on VSAS caught my eye.

Last edited:
I have one scheduled for UNC Charlotte and am about to send in some more applications on VSAS. Frustrated that all the programs I'm interested in open tomorrow at the latest except for UAB which is my number 1.

Looking at Vandy, Minnesota, Wake, Kansas, Tennessee, Emory, Brown, Kentucky. Really trying to stay in the SE but a few other programs that are open on VSAS caught my eye.
Nice -- I wasn't aware Brown had a PM&R residency? And are you going to Carolinas Charlotte or UNC Chapel Hill?

Nice -- I wasn't aware Brown had a PM&R residency? And are you going to Carolinas Charlotte or UNC Chapel Hill?

They don’t. Neither does Wake or Tennessee. If you’re trying to stay in SE would stick to aways with residencies.

Looks like you and I are trying some of the same places for aways. Not a huge fan of the timelines on some of these places. Most of them aren’t opening for apps until April or May.

Have you heard any special tips for Minnesota, Tennessee, or Kentucky?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

Charlotte

They don’t. Neither does Wake or Tennessee. If you’re trying to stay in SE would stick to aways with residencies.

Wow you're right. Wake, Tennessee, and Brown all have electives listed on VSAS and I didn't even think to double check on ERAS to make sure they have residencies. I feel like a big dummy. I thought that Wake having a program seemed weird but I didn't double check. Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like you and I are trying some of the same places for aways. Not a huge fan of the timelines on some of these places. Most of them aren’t opening for apps until April or May.

Have you heard any special tips for Minnesota, Tennessee, or Kentucky?

I honestly haven't heard a ton on a lot of programs. I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants because we don't have a home program.

I was told that spots are filling quickly at Carolinas Charlotte, so it is probably just a matter of not having any availability remaining. Your stats are better than mine, so I really doubt that's your issue. @theriverman - how long after initial contact about your app (i.e. emails from the coordinator) did you get an official offer on VSAS?
Maybe a week or two. They were very quick

How bad is it to turn down a rotation on vsas? I got two offers for september but I dont wanna burn any bridges
From what I understand, it’s completely fine. The coordinators understand that things change quickly with our schedules, and as long as you let them know with plenty of advanced notice, they are very unlikely to hold it against you.

In the future, however, it is probably ideal to withdraw any apps for rotations that you know you will not complete.

been waiting on a few responses from host institutions. anyone hear back from Weill-Cornell or UCLA yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard back from Mayo yesterday! Going in Sept!

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like I got an invite to rotate at UK. Should be a lot of fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Got an invite to rotate at new york-presbyterian (columbia/cornell), looks like a great opportunity! My medical school doesn't have a home program so none of my mentors know much about the program, any insight?

Got an invite to rotate at new york-presbyterian (columbia/cornell), looks like a great opportunity! My medical school doesn't have a home program so none of my mentors know much about the program, any insight?
Congrats! I've only heard good things about the program. They're a top-tier program and Dr. Visco has been invested in improving the inpatient side of things. Curious -- did your school's dates line up with theirs? Mine don't and just wondering if you knew if they were flexible about that kind of stuff.

Yeah my dates lined up and it's only two weeks so it wasn't too difficult to work around. I haven't asked them if they can adjust it, so I am not sure how accommodating they would be. Sorry!

Has anyone heard back from Nebraska, Minnesota, or Utah? Those are the other places I'm waiting to hear back from. Submitted applications a while back but haven't even gotten a rejection from them. Trying to decide if I need to send out more applications.

I applied to both minnesota and Utah but have not heard back from either of those programs

Did anyone hear back from Rutgers?

Haven't heard back from Minnesota or Vandy. Thinking about sending out a second batch of applications to Baylor, Michigan, Wisconsin (UW and medical college), Indiana, and Temple. I'm pretty desperate to get this 2nd one locked down soon.

Also maybe someone can answer this before I e-mail a stupid question. When applying for LSU they require VA training/privileges and my school doesn't have us do that. Should I e-mail them and see if it's a hard requirement or just forget about applying there?

I emailed LSU about the VA requirement back in March... they said that they were working on removing it from VSAS. Email the away rotation coordinator and they'll facilitate your application processing. Apparently it was meant to be a requirement once you are accepted to the program....I didn't follow up because I ended up choosing other programs for aways

I ended up getting rejected from Nebraska because my OSHA stuff expired too early...I also applied to USF when they opened their application but still haven’t heard back from them. Still crickets from Utah too.

Both UVA and Emory got back to me this week...accepted for October. Decisions, decisions. Just mentioning in case anyone was wondering about their timeline...

Just curious - won't doing an away late in the cycle (like Oct/Nov) interfere with your interviews? I have rotations at Rutgers/Kessler and JFK, applying to UCLA for Sept.

Just curious - won't doing an away late in the cycle (like Oct/Nov) interfere with your interviews? I have rotations at Rutgers/Kessler and JFK, applying to UCLA for Sept.

Potentially, but my school uses a lottery for 4th year scheduling...and they weren't able to accommodate my wishes haha. So...Oct and Nov it is.

I hate to continue asking, but I'm still waiting to hear from Utah and USF, anyone heard anything from these places? I'm hoping to get one of them for august, but I'm also trying to find out where else might have an opening for august because I'm running out of options it seems like.

I hate to continue asking, but I'm still waiting to hear from Utah and USF, anyone heard anything from these places? I'm hoping to get one of them for august, but I'm also trying to find out where else might have an opening for august because I'm running out of options it seems like.
For Utah... they dont even allow students until August. They told me they dont even start reviewing applications until May 15th. I am going to contact them next week for an timeline as far as when they start accepting people. I'll keep you updated. They at the the top of my list.

Anyone got any updates on Vanderbilt or been accepted there???per their policy on the website you cant contact anyone there.

Haven't heard back from Minnesota or Vandy. Thinking about sending out a second batch of applications to Baylor, Michigan, Wisconsin (UW and medical college), Indiana, and Temple. I'm pretty desperate to get this 2nd one locked down soon.

Also maybe someone can answer this before I e-mail a stupid question. When applying for LSU they require VA training/privileges and my school doesn't have us do that. Should I e-mail them and see if it's a hard requirement or just forget about applying there?
you heard from baylor or michigan yet???

New to the thread. Ive been accepted to Cincinatti for Aug-sept and Metrohealth at Case western in Cleveland for sept- Oct, I am feeling the love from Ohio apparently. I also got a really late 2 weeker from UC Irvine Nov 5-18th. After I got some really early denials (Mayo, MSU) I threw in a lot more apps and a few of my top ones either opened really late( UTAH) or started reviewing late( UW). I am just glad I have a few at this point. Glad to hear from everybody!

For Utah... they dont even allow students until August. They told me they dont even start reviewing applications until May 15th. I am going to contact them next week for an timeline as far as when they start accepting people. I'll keep you updated. They at the the top of my list.

Yeah I knew they weren't reviewing until later, but I though on VSAS they were supposed to start notifying not much after that. I just found out today that USF offered me a spot which I'm pretty excited about, but Utah is also at the top of my list, and I would definitely want to get my foot in the door there so I increase my matching odds, however it's looking less and less likely that I will rotate there. And to answer your other comment, I haven't heard from Vandy either. Although to be fair I submitted my application to them later than the other schools I applied to.

Yeah I knew they weren't reviewing until later, but I though on VSAS they were supposed to start notifying not much after that. I just found out today that USF offered me a spot which I'm pretty excited about, but Utah is also at the top of my list, and I would definitely want to get my foot in the door there so I increase my matching odds, however it's looking less and less likely that I will rotate there. And to answer your other comment, I haven't heard from Vandy either. Although to be fair I submitted my application to them later than the other schools I applied to.
Im assuming you submitted your Utah App the day it opened... being that neither of us have heard anything I doubt they have made any decisions.

Im assuming you submitted your Utah App the day it opened... being that neither of us have heard anything I doubt they have made any decisions.

Yep. Submitted it day one. Although it was later in the day because I spent most of the day trying to figure out how to apply for a 4 week rotation and I didn’t understand that they wanted me to just apply for 2 consecutive 2 week rotations.

Anyone know anything about the VCU program or UTSouthwestern, trying to decide between these 2 for my 3rd and final PMR away rotation

Indiana replied today but gave me completely different dates than what I applied for. Guess I'm gonna e-mail them later this week or next week and see if they can move it... this process is frustrating but I'm glad that another school responded and offered.

Yep. Submitted it day one. Although it was later in the day because I spent most of the day trying to figure out how to apply for a 4 week rotation and I didn’t understand that they wanted me to just apply for 2 consecutive 2 week rotations.

Was told via email they are currently processing and reviewing applications, decisions to come out next week

Were you able to apply to UCLA? I thought they no longer offer electives

Were you able to apply to UCLA? I thought they no longer offer electives
I think that only applies to non-UCLA students who want to do a rotation at the VA hospital. You can still apply to other sites.

Haven't posted in this forum yet, but have benefited from the abundance of information from past applicants over the past decade. Many thanks to those sharing.

Been sweating it out over here, but finally just received an off for a rotation at RIC. :clap: For those interested, I submitted 4/11.

Aways that I've secured thus far....

Stanford
RIC
Marianjoy

Good luck to all! Looking forward to meeting and possibly working with some of you in the near future.

Reactions: 2 users
Haven't posted in this forum yet, but have benefited from the abundance of information from past applicants over the past decade. Many thanks to those sharing.

Been sweating it out over here, but finally just received an off for a rotation at RIC. :clap: For those interested, I submitted 4/11.

Aways that I've secured thus far....

Stanford
RIC
Marianjoy

Good luck to all! Looking forward to meeting and possibly working with some of you in the near future.

Great job. You’ve set yourself up well, my friend!

Can't thank forums like this enough for the invaluable past advice. Finally got up the courage to make an account.

Agree with the other person who said they were sweating it out for the past few months. Got Georgetown, SRAL/RIC, Kessler and Weill Cornell. Is this too top heavy?

Best wishes to all this year and maybe I'll meet some of you on the journey. :)

Reactions: 2 users