2018-2019 University of South Dakota (Sanford)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone heard anything from USD? I'm applying OOS but have very strong ties to South Dakota. I haven't gotten a secondary, and I don't know if it's because they haven't sent them yet, or if it's because I'm OOS and they don't intend to send me a secondary at all.

Has anyone heard anything from USD? I'm applying OOS but have very strong ties to South Dakota. I haven't gotten a secondary, and I don't know if it's because they haven't sent them yet, or if it's because I'm OOS and they don't intend to send me a secondary at all.

They have priority to IS applicants. You probably got put in a separate pile of apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday (completed 8/2/18) if anyone on this forum is even paying attention to this school ;)

II yesterday (completed 8/2/18) if anyone on this forum is even paying attention to this school ;)
I am! Though I think it may just be you and me haha Congrats on your interview! Are you in-state or out of state? I'm out of state and am still holding onto hope here:xf:

Reactions: 1 user
I am! Though I think it may just be you and me haha Congrats on your interview! Are you in-state or out of state? I'm out of state and am still holding onto hope here:xf:

To keep anonymity, I'll PM you!

I'm not sure if anyone is following this thread, but II last week! OOS but strong ties to SD. I'm super excited for this one!

Just got an interview invite,has anyone else interviewed at this school?

Just got an interview invite,has anyone else interviewed at this school?
Yes I have too! They were super chill and conversational. Really love this school. Congrats on the II and good luck!!

Yes I have too! They were super chill and conversational. Really love this school. Congrats on the II and good luck!!

Awesome congrats. How long ago did you have ur interview and did you hear back yet? Also if u did how long did it take for the reply?

Awesome congrats. How long ago did you have ur interview and did you hear back yet? Also if u did how long did it take for the reply?
It was this month. They said we will hear back mid-December

They stress to the applicants that they only have 3 waves of admission committee meetings. First one is in December and second one is sometime in January. You might still make the first wave since you are well before it. My student guide told me USD fills up about 80% of their class with the first two waves.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They stress to the applicants that they only have 3 waves of admission committee meetings. First one is in December and second one is sometime in January. You might still make the first wave since you are well before it. My student guide told me USD fills up about 80% of their class with the first two waves.

Awesome thanks for the info.

Anybody hear back from USD yet after their meeting on the 15th?

Heard back this morning: pended pool. What I expected considering my gpa is a little lower than the average matriculant. Hopefully some of you got the good news today! Please share :) trying to get this thread going a bit

Anybody hear back from USD yet after their meeting on the 15th?
Got an email this morning saying that a decision has been made and that I'll get a letter in the mail about it! Lol v anxious...can't access my portal for some reason so will be checking the mailbox every day :D

Got an email this morning saying that a decision has been made and that I'll get a letter in the mail about it! Lol v anxious...can't access my portal for some reason so will be checking the mailbox every day :D
I have a friend who got in last year and this is exactly what happened to him! Congrats!! :) If you don’t mind me asking, what do your stats look like?

Accepted today! I can't share too much for fear of my info being too identifying, but I will share that I'm OOS, so this was a real surprise.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a friend who got in last year and this is exactly what happened to him! Congrats!! :) If you don’t mind me asking, what do your stats look like?
Ahhhh seriously?! I hope you’re right!!!! Re: stats, totally! MCAT: 519, GPA: 4.0

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

When did you interview?

Yes you guys were correct, got acceptance letter today!! Good luck to everyone else still waiting <3

P.S. wanted to add upon reflection in case it is helpful for South Dakota premeds in future: am OOS. Have very strong ties to the state though/whole family is from there and I have lived there previously (had to write a long essay describing them for the school to consider my application) and strong interest in rural healthcare, which is obviously Sanford's MO. Interview involved driving to multiple cities on the same day, which was different but the admissions committee was sososo nice and very accommodating. Love this school!

Last edited:
I believe the Adcom met on the 15th of Jan. Has anyone heard anything back yet?

The Adcom meeting is actually today, good luck to everyone!

Heard back this morning: pended pool. What I expected considering my gpa is a little lower than the average matriculant. Hopefully some of you got the good news today! Please share :) trying to get this thread going a bit
Did they just email you letting you know you were pended?

Did they just email you letting you know you were pended?

Yep - “Your application was considered at our recent Admission Committee meeting and you have been placed in the pended pool. Your application will be reconsidered at our final meeting in February.”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep - “Your application was considered at our recent Admission Committee meeting and you have been placed in the pended pool. Your application will be reconsidered at our final meeting in February.”

Just curious, what were your stats? You can also PM them to me if you like.

Just curious, what were your stats? You can also PM them to me if you like.

Sure!

IS with strong rural background
MCAT 509
GPA 3.5-3.6 with upward trend
SGPA ~ 3.7
Strong interest in primary care

Does anyone know what the average MCAT and GPA were accepted last year or last year's class profile?

Sure!

IS with strong rural background
MCAT 509
GPA 3.5-3.6 with upward trend
SGPA ~ 3.7
Strong interest in primary care

Awesome thanks man, so I haven't heard anything from this school in months after my interview.
Will they email us before sending out a letter acceptance or rejection?

Awesome thanks man, so I haven't heard anything from this school in months after my interview.
Will they email us before sending out a letter acceptance or rejection?

You will be emailed first either way.

It looks like they usually email by Tuesday or Wednesday after their adcom meetings on Saturday, but classes are cancelled at USD today and tomorrow for the weather so that could possibly also delay the emails being sent out.

Last edited:
What exactly did your email say? That you would be getting documents you would have to send back and an attachment about admission protocol?

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted. Stats in signature.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got rejected. You best believe I will be back on the 2019- 2020 thread with better numbers. Congrats to everyone who got in. Whoever has tips for someone going through the application process a second time let me know, anything helps at this point.

Just got rejected. You best believe I will be back on the 2019- 2020 thread with better numbers. Congrats to everyone who got in. Whoever has tips for someone going through the application process a second time let me know, anything helps at this point.

Sorry to hear that PackerDoc, but as a re-applicant who was accepted this year, hang in there! USD will give feedback regarding your application if you ask them for it, so I would start there.

What exactly did your email say? That you would be getting documents you would have to send back and an attachment about admission protocol?
Apologies took an SDN hiatus for awhile but yes!

Will there be a FB group starting relatively soon?

Does anyone know the max amount of scholarships/aid possible at USD? I’m OOS and have acceptances in the state I currently live in, so unless I can get tuition down to a comparable amount (we’re talking 50k/year in aid to be equitable) then I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance here very soon (which is good news for you waitlist peeps!).

Does anyone know the max amount of scholarships/aid possible at USD? I’m OOS and have acceptances in the state I currently live in, so unless I can get tuition down to a comparable amount (we’re talking 50k/year in aid to be equitable) then I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance here very soon (which is good news for you waitlist peeps!).

If you took a look at all of the scholarship forms you had to fill out, almost 100% of them are focused on minority/SD-resident/low SES. I would venture a guess that USD will not be providing many OOS residents with scholarships.

If you took a look at all of the scholarship forms you had to fill out, almost 100% of them are focused on minority/SD-resident/low SES. I would venture a guess that USD will not be providing many OOS residents with scholarships.
That’s what it looked like to me too, I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard otherwise. Do you happen to know when we’re notified of any aid?