2022-2023 Medical University of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:
Apparently there are no essay questions to write for the MUSC MD secondary process.
When you get an email from them, click on a link in that email called either "Cost to Apply" or "Start your Application" and you should see what you need to do.

OOS applicants are asked to complete the:
Close Ties Declaration Form

MSTP Applicant instructions:
The resume/CV should be a file attachment, and the essay portion has no defined char/word limit.

1. For the Resume/Personal History below, provide the following information in resume or curriculum vitae format:

• education with dates
  • past employment
  • undergraduate or summer research experience(s) including number of hours in each
  • publications
  • academic honors, awards
  • extracurricular/community/professional activities
  • membership in professional organizations
2. For the Essay section, write a paragraph that includes discussion of the following:
  • why do you want to come to MUSC - MUST RESPOND TO THIS
  • research you want to pursue in graduate school

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are their OOS views? Is knowing a current IM resident sufficient for ties?

See this for more information:

I would keep in mind that they likely expect higher stats from OOS students than IS ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOS applicants been verified and waiting for the secondary? I know you have to have close ties and fill out the close ties form, but I wasn't sure if you need to fill that out before you can receive the secondary or if there will be an instruction in the secondary to do that. I tried emailing admissions, but they never got back to me.

Anyone get a secondary yet? In-state btw.
I checked the 2021-2022 thread from MUSC and it seems like they just send out their secondaries late. I think people were reporting not getting them until late July/early August depending on when they were verified. Apparently there weren't any essay questions either??

Reactions: 1 users
Coming from an OOS applicant last year, they are very strict about ties and it's usually more family related instead of who you know. MUSC admissions website explains it very clearly (Close Ties Declaration Form). also they told me that its more of a checking a box kind of thing; you either have "close ties" or you don't, having more ties doesn't give you extra points. so as long as you have close family or a strong connection to the area you should be good

Reactions: 3 users
Coming from an OOS applicant last year, they are very strict about ties and it's usually more family related instead of who you know. MUSC admissions website explains it very clearly (Close Ties Declaration Form). also they told me that its more of a checking a box kind of thing; you either have "close ties" or you don't, having more ties doesn't give you extra points. so as long as you have close family or a strong connection to the area you should be good
Is this a form that you completed prior to applying? Or after? Or?

Can anyone give any input on this please?
Per their website, "When the verified AMCAS application is received by MUSC (from 4-6 weeks after it is submitted to AMCAS), all applicants are sent an email directing them to the MUSC website where they may access the Secondary Application. All applicants receive the Secondary Application."

It appears that we do not need to submit it before receiving the secondary, and we will instead be directed to submit it whenever we receive the email

Also worth noting, "If applicable, out-of-state applicants are encouraged to fill out the Close Ties Form to demonstrate any connection to South Carolina." - from their FAQ page

I think there's also a space in the secondary to indicate/explain close ties

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially the last school to send me a secondary - :(. Anyone heard anything yet?

Nothing, I am assuming it will be sometime this week though

They probably thought II means secondary, I used to as well lol

Is MUSC selective about their secondary? I got verified on 7/15, and still haven't heard anything about a secondary invite. I'm OOS, so idk if that's likely playing a role in the secondary update slowdown?

Is MUSC selective about their secondary? I got verified on 7/15, and still haven't heard anything about a secondary invite. I'm OOS, so idk if that's likely playing a role in the secondary update slowdown?
I think they just take their time honestly

Is anybody who is MD-PhD having trouble seeing their application status? I'm using the CollegeNET ID like they say but it says the login is invalid.

Btw it seems like they already sent out MD-PhD secondaries but not MD- I got mine 7/8.

I spoke with someone at MUSC for help regarding a separate question but it was mentioned casually that the secondary would be sent out very soon!

Found it, you have to click start your application before apply now lol

stumped me for a solid 15 minutes. IS received. Good luck to everyone applying?

Received a secondary, got verified 7/15, OOS. Yeah, i'm having trouble accessing the secondary app portal as well.

I just clicked the cost to apply button and it showed up on the left hand side

This might be a stupid question, but should I be honest about where I wanna practice medicine as an OOS applicant? Do they pay attention to where you think you'll be interested in practicing medicine in the future (like SC vs. not SC)?

Anyone not receive theirs yet? I was verified mid July

@wysdoc
The MSTP prompts are similar to last year, though I believe they've removed the COVID component. Here are the requested details. The resume/CV should be a file attachment, and the essay portion has no defined char/word limit.

For the Resume/Personal History below, provide the following information in resume or curriculum vitae format:
  • education with dates
  • past employment
  • undergraduate or summer research experience(s) including number of hours in each
  • publications
For the Essay section, write a paragraph that includes discussion of the following:

@wysdoc
The MSTP prompts are similar to last year, though I believe they've removed the COVID component. Here are the requested details. The resume/CV should be a file attachment, and the essay portion has no defined char/word limit.

For the Resume/Personal History below, provide the following information in resume or curriculum vitae format:
  • education with dates
  • past employment
  • publications
For the Essay section, write a paragraph that includes discussion of the following:
Thank you - will add it up on top

I haven't received my secondary yet, OOS. Should I reach out to them tomorrow?

I just applied yesterday, and today I got rejected as an OOS applicant (513, 3.84 GPA). They said along the lines of you didn't make the score cut and/or don't present strong compelling ties to SC. You won't be offered an interview for next year's class.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I just applied yesterday, and today I got rejected as an OOS applicant (513, 3.84 GPA). They said along the lines of you didn't make the score cut and/or don't present strong compelling ties to SC. You won't be offered an interview for next year's class.
Goodluck at your other schools, sorry to hear this!!

I should've expected this, as MUSC only accepts 0.5-1% of oos applicants. Also, to add salt to the wound, they didn't accept my FAP waiver because they're a state program and not a national program and can't completely comply with AAMC FAP. $95 was sunk into their secondary app fee. Hopefully, my apps to private schools without In-state preference fare better. Anybody have recommendations for state schools that don't have strong in-state preference?

Last edited:
What ties to SC did you have? And yes, MUSC is known for not taking OOS applicants, I would look at MSAR before applying to any other OOS (public) schools.

Last edited:
What ties to SC did you have? And yes, MUSC is known for not taking OOS applicants, I would look at MSAR before applying to any other OOS (public) schools.
Not strong ones. I had an uncle and aunt who lived in Prosperity, SC for about 12-15 years. They currently live in Florida now though since 2013.

Not strong ones. I had an uncle and aunt who lived in Prosperity, SC for about 12-15 years. They currently live in Florida now though since 2013.

Definitely look at MSAR before applying to other state schools, cus MUSC’s explicitly states what ties are acceptable

Definitely look at MSAR before applying to other state schools, cus MUSC’s explicitly states what ties are acceptable
Should I give a thank you email for their consideration of my application to stay on good terms with MUSC's admissions office or is it a waste of time? Cuz I got 20 other secondaries to take care of this weekend, lol.

Should I give a thank you email for their consideration of my application to stay on good terms with MUSC's admissions office or is it a waste of time? Cuz I got 20 other secondaries to take care of this weekend, lol.

Waste of time… Them rejecting your app that quickly was basically a way of saying unless your state ties change don’t apply again