2018 APPIC Internship Phase II - onward and upward!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So just because I believe in the saying plan for the worst but hope for the best...what are the options for people who don't match in phase 2? I really hope we all match but as this process goes on, my Type A personality needs to know plan B haha
Post Match Vacancy!

Post-Match Vacancy Service

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So just because I believe in the saying plan for the worst but hope for the best...what are the options for people who don't match in phase 2? I really hope we all match but as this process goes on, my Type A personality needs to know plan B haha
Post match vacancy
I don’t know much about it though

My worry is that there will not be many APA accredited positions/positions that fit my emphasis/training.
But that's plan B. It is definitely really hard to not plan ahead haha

Members don't see this ad :)

There’s post vacancy where they can offer on spot I believe

My worry is that there will not be many APA accredited positions/positions that fit my emphasis/training.
But that's plan B. It is definitely really hard to not plan ahead haha

Hahaha i am the furthest thing from a Type A but i am 1) very practical, 2) try not to dwell on the negative and 3) like to be able to pay my bills. So I have a plan B which consists of 2 sub-plans that run simultaneously so that i can make money while also broadening my skill set in preparation for next year's applications.

But i am also 4) slightly superstitious (a little stitious, as M. Scott would say), so i can't share just yet, lol

And oh yeah, I made these plans after my first Phase 1 rejection so, so much for having faith in myself lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Are there numbers/odds if interviews vs chance of matching for phase II or are they the same as phase I?
For phase II, it seems that both students and training directors are eager to secure placements. Thus, I think sites are more willing to rank everyone they interview (unless you interview poorly or are a terrible fit) and so hopefully the chances of matching are better. Not sure if this is true, but this seems ideal to me lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Kingston Internship Consortium interview, 3/7, invite
Northern Ontario Psychology Internship Consortium, 3/7, invite

Reactions: 2 users
Ohioguidestone - ECMH & School Services track
3/7 email offer - probably mass
I interviewed here during phase I. Let me know if you have any questions or just want to hear some impressions of the site and staff.

You may already know this, but there's another thread (or perhaps it was on the original phase 1 thread) where people listed interview questions they were given at specific sites.
Thanks!

Among myself and some others who are not on SDN, there has been notification from:
-center for behavioral medicine
-girard medical center
-wellspan philhaven
-university of Pittsburgh cc (rejection)
-quillen va (mountain home TN) (rejection)

Hi fellow Phase II folks! Hope the interviews have been rolling in for y'all!

So for some reason, the places that have contacted me all want to speak with me on the same day/time. For example, I got one interview request at 9am, scheduled it, and then later in the day heard from another site that wanted the same day/time. Any advice on how to navigate this? It's happened twice now and I haven't even heard from majority of the sites I applied to...

Corp Michael J Crescenz VAMC (Philadelphia) - 3/7, appeared to be mass email with further instructions on setting up interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
3/7 John L Gildner RICA (Rockville, MD)-Phone call to schedule Skype interview for tomorrow, Friday, or Monday

:)

Few of my Phase 2 sites have been posted here already. Huh. Anyone else here experiencing transient hallucinations of their phones vibrating/ringing? Just me? Cool. Carry on, then.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi fellow Phase II folks! Hope the interviews have been rolling in for y'all!

So for some reason, the places that have contacted me all want to speak with me on the same day/time. For example, I got one interview request at 9am, scheduled it, and then later in the day heard from another site that wanted the same day/time. Any advice on how to navigate this? It's happened twice now and I haven't even heard from majority of the sites I applied to...

Ugh, that’s frustrating! So they are just giving you one/a couple of options? I think it’s probably best to just be direct and thank them/explain that you are excited for the opportunity to interview, but have a conflict. I would imagine they understand that, given the fast pace of this whole process, schedules fill up quickly and they need to be flexible!

Last edited:
Few of my Phase 2 sites have been posted here already. Huh. Anyone else here experiencing transient hallucinations of their phones vibrating/ringing? Just me? Cool. Carry on, then.
In the same boat. I have had a hard time not checking my email 1000 times already today... as the week goes on I feel like the odds of getting an interview get slimmer and slimmer.

Invites for myself and others in my program:
Girard
Mt. Sinai Dept of Psychiatry
DC VA
Kaiser Permanente Walnut Creek
Eating Recovery Center- Insight Behavioral Health
Christiana Care Health

Reactions: 4 users
Rejection Hamilton health sciences just now by email

VA Nebraska-Western Iowa interview offer via email 3/7
Asked to rank times for Monday 3/12 for 45min phone interview

Northern Arizona VA Health Care System rejection 3/7

Rejection from Uni of Nothern Colorado after I sent a follow up email to the training director.

What are ya'lls thoughts on canceling interviews during Phase II?

What are ya'lls thoughts on canceling interviews during Phase II?

I would avoid doing that and try to reschedule instead unless you REALLY don't think it's a good fit.

Interview invites:
Kansas City VA (3/9, 3 individual interviews)
NPTC Pain / IBD (3/5, skype)
NPTC St. Josephs Medical Center (3/5, skype)
Providence Family medicine in Alaska (3/12, skype)
Hefner VA (3/7, phone interview)
Milwaukee VA (3/8, phone interview)
Minneapolis VA (3/12, phone interview)
NICPP (no date yet, 2 Sep interviews)
Stone Mountain Health services (no date yet, phone/skype)
Samaritan Health Services (3/12, skype interview)

Why couldn't I be this lucky during phase I. Still waiting to hear back from sites :O

Congrats!! When did you hear from Milwaukee VA? By phone or email?

Primary Children’s Hospital 3/7 by email

This thread should really be called: "2018 APPIC Internship Phase II - The Revenge!"

Reactions: 11 users
Ugh, that’s frustrating! So they are just giving you one/a couple of options? I think it’s probably best to just be direct and thank them/explain that you are excited for the opportunity to interview, but have a conflict. I would imagine they understand that, given the fast pace of this whole process, schedules fill up quickly and they need to be flexible!

That is true! Thanks!

I would avoid doing that and try to reschedule instead unless you REALLY don't think it's a good fit.
I canceled one too because I applied for a wrong track.....

University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center neurodevelopmental track 3/8 personalized e-mail invitation to interview.

Last edited:
For the thank you e-mail, should I say I believe your program is a great fit w/ my professional/personal goals ? or just leave it w/ I am excited by the opportunities at your program. I don't want to seem pushy and everything is about wording :rolleyes:

For the thank you e-mail, should I say I believe your program is a great fit w/ my professional/personal goals ? or just leave it w/ I am excited by the opportunities at your program. I don't want to seem pushy and everything is about wording :rolleyes:

Either is fine. The thank you e-mails have no sway over rank decisions.

Random question: For video/Skype interviews, are y’all dressing up for it like we did for Phase I interviews?

Random question: For video/Skype interviews, are y’all dressing up for it like we did for Phase I interviews?

I’m planning to go with dressy from the waist up and whatever/sweatpants on the bottom :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
Halifax Health Neuropsy rotation rejection by email 9am 3/8

Yes! Good to hear that others are doing professional up top and casual down on the bottom

FWIW, my TD suggested to students to dress in the full professional outfit for Skype and phone interviews. She said feedback suggests that students feel more professional and "on their game" if they're dressing the part. It likely has some influence on mindset, posture, responses, etc.

Idk, just my .02!

FWIW, my TD suggested to students to dress in the full professional outfit for Skype and phone interviews. She said feedback suggests that students feel more professional and "on their game" if they're dressing the part. It likely has some influence on mindset, posture, responses, etc.

Idk, just my .02!

100% believe that!

It looks like in past years, sites have still contacted on thurs and fri of this week...I am just trying to spread some hope that more interview invites could be coming. Or convince myself to remain hopeful...

Florida Atlantic University
Mass email interview offer 3/8
Skype Interviews 3/13-3/15

Veterans Healthcare System of the Ozarks 3/8 via e-mail. Phone interview TBD.

Anyone else looking forward to the weekend to engage in much needed self-care? Interviewing and waiting to hear back from sites is mentally exhausting, maybe even more so than phase I because of the pressure match the second time. I feel like I will need a month-long vacation after these next 2 weeks lol.

Anyone else looking forward to the weekend to engage in much needed self-care? Interviewing and waiting to hear back from sites is mentally exhausting, maybe even more so than phase I because of the pressure match the second time. I feel like I will need a month-long vacation after these next 2 weeks lol.
Agreed! I do get that this process happens a lot quicker than in Phase I...but I have found it super stressful that some sites want to interview me the day after I've been notified or within two days.