2018 Match List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenjixshadow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
How scary is it that only 81.7 percent matched ACGME. I know there was still AOA this year, but will this level out to be the norm for overall DO match rates?
This was the same exact match rate as last year even though there were 1000 more DO applicants this time compared to last year. Not ideal but if anything it’s kind of reassuring

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This was the same exact match rate as last year even though there were 1000 more DO applicants this time compared to last year. Not ideal but if anything it’s kind of reassuring
Ah yeah. I guess it’s better than going down. Does anyone know off hand of the actual placement percentage?

Ah yeah. I guess it’s better than going down. Does anyone know off hand of the actual placement percentage?
We won’t know for a bit. But will likely be in the high 90s like it usually is.

Reactions: 1 user
Once the AOA spots are gone match rate will roughly equate placement rate.. scary to have an 80% match rate :nailbiting:
Probably not. That would only happen if every former AOA program completely stopped taking DOs. Which won’t happen.

Reactions: 5 users
I would venture to say that if more DO students study for and take the USMLE the match rate would be higher than 80%. Time for DO schools to shift gears and teach students toward the gold-standard test

Reactions: 6 users
Can someone clarify how roughly 15% applicants go unmatched? Of all the schools I interviewed, the match rate was like 100% or 98%. Are there just a few programs that are seriously leaving their students unmatched?

Can someone clarify how roughly 15% applicants go unmatched? Of all the schools I interviewed, the match rate was like 100% or 98%. Are there just a few programs that are seriously leaving their students unmatched?

Placement rate is probably what they told you, even if it was under the guise of “match rate”

After SOAP/Scramble, the placement* rate will be 95%+.

Also this is just the ACGME match, does not include the AOA match %

Reactions: 10 users
A placement is still the beginning of a post graduate residency? Also, the programs advertised Match Percentages not placement percentages.

Members don't see this ad :)
A placement is still the beginning of a post graduate residency? Also, the programs advertised Match Percentages not placement percentages.
1) They are likely lying and calling it 'match rate'2) placement rate is inflated because of the unfilled AOA spots

Reactions: 2 users
Like I cant match to a residency to Canada, UK, Australia, Europe, carribean cause they dont allow foreigner doctors. Maybe we should do the same?

You can apply for residency in Canada though. I had an ICU attending who did that out of Med-School at Tulane. He got paid a ton better too, and apparently it was more of an apply and get accepted scenario rather than a match. He recommend I look into it.

Sounded tempting if I didn’t have a wife and kids to move to a different country.

Reactions: 4 users
As for my ACGME program, they (residents, PD and Dept. Chair) all pointed out how thrilled they were to get a handful of DO’s this year. We didn’t attract any last year and we incorporate an OMM/Sports med clinic into our practice.

Department Chair went out of her way today to comment “I’m glad to see that we got some DO’s to come; if we want to continue to incorporate the osteopathic world into our program and FM in our state, we’ve got to have DO’s in our program on a regular basis”.

We filled pretty high on the rank list too, BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
After SOAP/Scramble, the placement* rate will be 95%+.

Keep in mind that the placement rate published by most schools does not take into account the students that decided to postpone graduation to reapply next year as seniors. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors behind stats.

Keep in mind that the placement rate published by most schools does not take into account the students that decided to postpone graduation to reapply next year as seniors. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors behind stats.

MD schools do this too...a lot.

Reactions: 6 users
Which schools are graduating their first classes this year? Is it just LUCOM? I'm very curious as to how they did.

As for my ACGME program, they (residents, PD and Dept. Chair) all pointed out how thrilled they were to get a handful of DO’s this year. We didn’t attract any last year and we incorporate an OMM/Sports med clinic into our practice.

Department Chair went out of her way today to comment “I’m glad to see that we got some DO’s to come; if we want to continue to incorporate the osteopathic world into our program and FM in our state, we’ve got to have DO’s in our program on a regular basis”.

We filled pretty high on the rank list too, BTW.

Is this for an FM residency program? If so, what vague general part of the county? I'll be applying FM acgme this upcoming application cycle and I'd more than happy to apply to a program that's DO friendly.

Is this for an FM residency program? If so, what vague general part of the county? I'll be applying FM acgme this upcoming application cycle and I'd more than happy to apply to a program that's DO friendly.

Yes, Family Med, in the east half of the country.

Which schools are graduating their first classes this year? Is it just LUCOM? I'm very curious as to how they did.
I know LUCOM had an overall 96.8% match rate, between AOA & NRMP. Don't know about anyone else

Some of the impressive matches from my school (WesternU):

Derm at Case Western, EM at Harbor-UCLA, Pathology at UCSF and WashU, Neurology at Duke, PMR at Mayo, and IR at Loma Linda.

Reactions: 23 users
I know LUCOM had an overall 96.8% match rate, between AOA & NRMP. Don't know about anyone else
That's actually quite surprising. Good for them, I suppose.

That's actually quite surprising. Good for them, I suppose.
Pleasantly surprising, yes. Kind of like the 2nd class' Level 1 scores

Derm at Case Western, EM at Harbor-UCLA, Pathology at UCSF and WashU, Neurology at Duke, PMR at Mayo, and IR at Loma Linda.

That's actually insanely impressive for just one school. Looking forward to seeing the matches from the other DO schools

NYIT com had a neurosurgery match at SUNY Upstate. And I believe an Ortho match (forget where). Saw on an Instagram post from them.

Reactions: 3 users
Some of the Highlights from WCUCOM: IM at Cleveland Clinic (smartest guy in the class), Baylor-Scott & White for IM, PM&R at Missouri; Rural FM, IM, Peds, and OB/GYN at LSU New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Psych, IM X2, FM, EM, at University of MS. Peds at UT San Antonio. IM at USF-Tampa

ATSU-SOMA impressive matches that I know of so far:

Orthopedic surgery at LSU
Orthopedic surgery at Univ of Washington
Pm&r at Univ of Utah x2
Anesthesia at Univ of Utah (with surg prelim at harbor UCLA)
IM at U Mass
EM at Case Western

Reactions: 8 users

Pm&r at Univ of Utah x2
IM at U Mass
EM at Case Western
Also neuro at OHSU. That’s impressive

Incomplete list, but here are some for AZCOM

Anesthesiology
Vandy
UF
UT Houston
Rush
U Chicago
Indiana

FM
UCLA Harbor
Honor Health
Idaho State
Kaiser Riverside
CMHS
Northwestern

PM&R
Mt. Sinai
LSU - New Orleans

Psych
UC Davis
U Utah
UCSF Fresno
UNLV

IM
UT San Antonio
OHSU
UA - Phoenix
UA - Tucson
Maricopa Medical Center
Scripps - SD

Peds
Phoenix Children's
USC
UNMC
Sanford
Loma Linda
Rush

EM
UNLV
Wake Forest
U Louisville
UNMC
SUNY Syracuse
Western Michigan

Pathology
Emory

Radiology
UMKC
Penn State
U New Mexico
UNMC

Opthalmology
U Buffalo

General Surgery
UT San Antonio

Plastic Surgery (Integrated)
U Tennessee
U Washington

Diagnostic Radiology
Northwestern
BCM

Neurology
VCU

Neurosurgery
MSU

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Incomplete list, but here are some for AZCOM

Anesthesiology
Vandy
UF
UT Houston
Rush
U Chicago

FM
UCLA Harbor

Psych
UC Davis
U Utah

IM
UT San Antonio
OHSU
UA - Phoenix

Peds
Phoenix Children's
USC

EM
UNLV
Wake Forest

Radiology
UMKC
Penn State

Opthalmology
U Buffalo

Plastic Surgery (Integrated)
U Tennessee

Diagnostic Radiology
Northwestern
BCM

Neurosurgery
MSU
nicely done

Pm&r at Univ of Utah x2
IM at U Mass
EM at Case Western
Very impressive ortho marches. Any idea about their stories? Did they rotate at each program, or have any connections?

Someone from PCOM matched into Rad Onc. I also believe we got 2 derm matches (that I know of so far).

Some LECOM highlights that I know of:
(I know very little about competitiveness of various programs so I'm going on what seems like big-names here, don't come after me)

Penn State - med/peds, IM, and pediatrics
Case Western - anesthesia
UConn - general surgery, IM
UMass Worcester - IM
Tufts - radiology
University of Minnesota - radiology
UPMC - radiology, pediatrics
Johns Hopkins - EM
Childrens Hospital of Michigan - peds
University of Florida Gainesville - IM
University of Florida Jacksonville - general surgery
Detroit Medical Center - urology

More importantly to me personally is that I know a lot of people got their first or second choice-- for many that was a community program wherever home is, and I'm happy for them even if it doesn't impress SDN.

Reactions: 11 users
Some LECOM highlights that I know of:
(I know very little about competitiveness of various programs so I'm going on what seems like big-names here, don't come after me)

Penn State - med/peds, IM, and pediatrics
Case Western - anesthesia
UConn - general surgery, IM
UMass Worcester - IM
Tufts - radiology
University of Minnesota - radiology
UPMC - radiology, pediatrics
Johns Hopkins - EM
Childrens Hospital of Michigan - peds
University of Florida Gainesville - IM
University of Florida Jacksonville - general surgery
Detroit Medical Center - urology

More importantly to me personally is that I know a lot of people got their first or second choice-- for many that was a community program wherever home is, and I'm happy for them even if it doesn't impress SDN.

You can add an IM at Indiana U to that list!

I think WesternU got a student into UC Davis EM! I saw it on twitter or something (UC Davis EM put up their resident roster for the incoming class).

So much for the people who say Dos only do Primary Care

I think this is where the merger is going to benefit certain DOs. The more you look like an MD applicant the better your chances will be of matching like one while the people at the bottom of the class/red flags/bad boards will match worse and worse.

We might already be seeing this start to develop based on some of the matches in this thread.

Reactions: 7 users
I think this is where the merger is going to benefit certain DOs. The more you look like an MD applicant the better your chances will be of matching like one while the people at the bottom of the class/red flags/bad boards will match worse and worse.

We might already be seeing this start to develop based on some of the matches in this thread.

Agreed, ppl are panicking because less MD’s are getting what they wanted, but on the DO side I’m seeing some really impressive matches.

Reactions: 5 users

Agreed, ppl are panicking because less MD’s are getting what they wanted, but on the DO side I’m seeing some really impressive matches.

This makes sense. I just wish we knew why psych matches were particularly rough this year :(

I just wish we knew why psych matches were particularly rough this year :(

Psych and rads were insane this year probably because they are the "new" lifestyle specialties with a solid income. Will probably become more and more competitive in coming years

This makes sense. I just wish we knew why psych matches were particularly rough this year :(

My prediction is still that more MD’s applied to the same, higher caliber Psych residencies, causing more to go unmatched. About 1250 USMDs applied for Psych with about 980 matches. Normally, you’d assume with a decr. Match percentage of USMD’s to mean that DO’s also matched less. But I don’t think DO’s got affected as much, or if anything they seemed to match more. Why? They probably committed to the lower tier programs sooner (made connections, away rotations, etc) which allowed them to secure positions over more qualified MD’s on paper.

This is all just pure speculation and one “fan theory” to explain it. By no means am I trying to say this is it, but it seems plausible to me.

I kind of like being part of the D.O. group because everyone gets hyped when a D.O. has a good match into a competitive field

Reactions: 14 users
My prediction is still that more MD’s applied to the same, higher caliber Psych residencies, causing more to go unmatched. About 1250 USMDs applied for Psych with about 980 matches. Normally, you’d assume with a decr. Match percentage of USMD’s to mean that DO’s also matched less. But I don’t think DO’s got affected as much, or if anything they seemed to match more. Why? They probably committed to the lower tier programs sooner (made connections, away rotations, etc) which allowed them to secure positions over more qualified MD’s on paper.

This is all just pure speculation and one “fan theory” to explain it. By no means am I trying to say this is it, but it seems plausible to me.
This was my first thought as well, but from what I’m gathering many DOs matched top tier psych this year (my program had multiple top tier/mid tier matches) - making this scenario less probable to me. It’s hard to say exactly what is going on, maybe this years DO psych class was particularly top heavy and pushed some MDs out.

This was my first thought as well, but from what I’m gathering many DOs matched top tier psych this year (my program had multiple top tier/mid tier matches) - making this scenario less probable to me. It’s hard to say exactly what is going on, maybe this years DO psych class was particularly top heavy and pushed some MDs out.

Maybe if our MD colleagues learned cranial, they would have matched. Who else can cure depression using only their hands? (Inb4 prostitutes)

Reactions: 31 users