2018 University of Houston C/O 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted too! I also interviewed nov.9!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright super late applicant here. Just got PharmCAS verified but don't have secondary app yet!! Freaking out as deadline is on monday. Can someone please inbox me their secondary so I can get started?

sent in my acceptance packet yesterday! I am just glad this process is over =-)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guys!
Congrats to all who have been accepted! =) I just received an interview invitation for Jan 31st so I am uberly excited since UH has always been number 1 on my list. I just wanted to assome extra tips that I should consider and is it true that once you receive an interview invite, that your acceptance is based primarily on that interview from here on out? Thanks!!!

Hey Guys!
Congrats to all who have been accepted! =) I just received an interview invitation for Jan 31st so I am uberly excited since UH has always been number 1 on my list. I just wanted to assome extra tips that I should consider and is it true that once you receive an interview invite, that your acceptance is based primarily on that interview from here on out? Thanks!!!

Congrats on ur interview invite! The interview is super relaxed so don't be scared! I guess from the point of interview on everything else is dependent on ur interview! But don't quote me on that! Good luck !

I got an email saying. I need a lor from a pharmacist but pharmcas won't let me. What do I do

I
I applied to UofH, but I don't have any pharmacy technician experience, so I don't know any pharmacists. I volunteer at a hospital pharmacy, but the way the program is run, I don't actually get much contact with the pharmacists. I've reached out to one pharmacist, shadowed him, and chatted with him twice, but when I asked for a LOR, he wasn't comfortable writing one since he doesn't observe how I work and didn't know enough about me to write a letter. So I was unable to get a LOR from a pharmacist, but I applied anyway. I got a call from UH today, asking if I was planning to get one and that it was a requirement. Unfortunately, I'm kind of out of options here. I can't get to know a pharmacist in the week or so I have left until the deadline, and I haven't had much contact with the pharmacist I shadowed and spoke with either and I highly doubt he would agree to write one now if he didn't before, especially since it's so close to the deadline.

The question is, should I just give up on UofH? It's not my first choice school, and I have really strong stats (3.83 GPA, will rise by the end of the semester, 95 PCAT, pharmacy volunteer experience, will have bachelor's degree by spring, I'm a reapplicant...). I really want to get into UT, and UH was meant to be a backup, and I also have Texas Tech and A&M as backups as well. Should I try to get a letter from a pharmacist or is it a lost cause?

Don't even waste your 100 dollars on submitting the supplemental application... I'm on the same boat with you, 3.79 GPA and 95% on PCAT but do t have a lot from a pharmacist. And I've called the admission and they told me they wouldn't even review our profile simply bc we don't have 1 f-ing LOR from a pharmacist... Ughh

I

Don't even waste your 100 dollars on submitting the supplemental application... I'm on the same boat with you, 3.79 GPA and 95% on PCAT but do t have a lot from a pharmacist. And I've called the admission and they told me they wouldn't even review our profile simply bc we don't have 1 f-ing LOR from a pharmacist... Ughh

It's honestly how most schools function nowadays. The admissions have gotten really strict these past couple of years from what I have seen and heard from friends in schools outside of UofH. They most likely will pre-screen your entire application and if some parts aren't there (e.g. LOR from pharmacist) they will either not look at the application or they will put it at the bottom of the pile. Pharmacy application credentials are incredibly heavy on the extra curricular and volunteer opportunities, not just GPA and PCAT. GPA and PCAT scores are there to assess your raw knowledge (especially the PCAT), but the qualitative aspects (essays, volunteer work, pharmacy experience, etc.) are there to bring together what you really show on paper. Once you get the interview, you only have to sell yourself from that point. The interview is 100% all about your personality and everyone interviewing is on the same playing field. Good luck to all! I hope to see you all come out to the next interview date on January 11th as I will be an ambassador. Any questions? Just message me or reply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email with my interview arrival time. It says that they have already received my pre-interview documents. But I haven't sent in my pre-interview documents. Anyone else get the same message and not submitted the pre-interview documents yet?

It's honestly how most schools function nowadays. The admissions have gotten really strict these past couple of years from what I have seen and heard from friends in schools outside of UofH. They most likely will pre-screen your entire application and if some parts aren't there (e.g. LOR from pharmacist) they will either not look at the application or they will put it at the bottom of the pile. Pharmacy application credentials are incredibly heavy on the extra curricular and volunteer opportunities, not just GPA and PCAT. GPA and PCAT scores are there to assess your raw knowledge (especially the PCAT), but the qualitative aspects (essays, volunteer work, pharmacy experience, etc.) are there to bring together what you really show on paper. Once you get the interview, you only have to sell yourself from that point. The interview is 100% all about your personality and everyone interviewing is on the same playing field. Good luck to all! I hope to see you all come out to the next interview date on January 11th as I will be an ambassador. Any questions? Just message me or reply.

Since you go to U of H, can you explain what the deal is with the pre-interview questions? Why did we have to do those? I mean, I understand why they would ask questions like that, but do the interviewers read our answers before they interview us? I thought it was a little silly that we had to answer all those questions in addition to our regular interview.

Since you go to U of H, can you explain what the deal is with the pre-interview questions? Why did we have to do those? I mean, I understand why they would ask questions like that, but do the interviewers read our answers before they interview us? I thought it was a little silly that we had to answer all those questions in addition to our regular interview.

Yeah, I remember filling out those questions and feeling like it was a little excessive, but you have to do what you have to do. As for the questions, I think they are geared more to get to know you better outside of your essays. As for the interview, it depends on the interviewer if they will have your file open or not open during the personal interview. I remember my interviewers didn't have my file open, but I've heard other things students.

Hey guys, if I haven't gotten any sort of response from UofH, can I assume I didn't get an interview? I tried emailing them, but they haven't replied. I think we all deserve to at least be told we didn't get an interview instead of them just ignoring us completely...

Hey guys, if I haven't gotten any sort of response from UofH, can I assume I didn't get an interview? I tried emailing them, but they haven't replied. I think we all deserve to at least be told we didn't get an interview instead of them just ignoring us completely...
I would try calling them. I had to call about a transcript question last semester and the office staff were very helpful.

I just received my interview invite today at noon for 1/31! I'm super excited! To those who are waiting for an interview like I was, do your academic update ASAP. I'm pretty sure they are waiting for your academic update to come in from PharmCas before they invite you.

I just received my interview invite today at noon for 1/31! I'm super excited! To those who are waiting for an interview like I was, do your academic update ASAP. I'm pretty sure they are waiting for your academic update to come in from PharmCas before they invite you.

CONGRATS! I'm so jealous of you.
When you updated, did you have to send in a new transcript to PharmCas?

CONGRATS! I'm so jealous of you.
When you updated, did you have to send in a new transcript to PharmCas?
Yes to complete your academic update PharmCas has to receive your updated transcript with your fall semester classes finished. You need to send them a new one by filling out the transcript request form and taking it to your school registrar.

Is there a deadline for giving up your spot? I got accepted and paid the deposit, but I'm waiting to hear back from other schools before I make final decisions.

Has anyone ever gotten an extension for the enrollment deposit due date here at UH?

I've been accepted! Letter of intent and deposit are on their way. So incredibly excited.
Again, good luck to all those still waiting to hear back or preparing for interviews.
Those who've already been accepted, I look forward to meeting you in the fall at orientation!
Also, a huge thank you to all the Ambassadors who attended the interviews. You were all so helpful and informative! :)

Has any one ever gotten an extension for the enrollment deposit for UH Pharmacy? It's a big issue for me right now.

Has any one ever gotten an extension for the enrollment deposit for UH Pharmacy? It's a big issue for me right now.

I would guess they might give you an extension if you were in a really tight spot, but I'm not sure. Have you emailed/called them? If you're having trouble with the deposit then maybe you should get in touch with them and explain your situation.

Hey has anyone heard anything from the school since accepting your spot etc. I thought they would email us about FAFSA etc..... Congrats to everyone who has been accepted n good luck to those waiting to hear back

Hey has anyone heard anything from the school since accepting your spot etc. I thought they would email us about FAFSA etc..... Congrats to everyone who has been accepted n good luck to those waiting to hear back

Don't worry about anything right now, the emails will come in droves around the end of the semester and summer. Just sit back, relax, and get your deposit in. If you want to keep up and meet your new classmates, join the facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/605890632785917/

I just received an interview invite for March 10. I know I have a while but does anyone have any advice for what to expect?

I just received an interview invite for March 10. I know I have a while but does anyone have any advice for what to expect?
It will be a group interview lasting 30 minutes and a individual interview lasting 30min-45min. Everything is really laid back and it is almost like a social event. Don't memorize interview questions just answer them truthfully and be yourself.

Can someone please help me as soon as possible? For the enrollment deposit, can we mail a personal check?

Can someone please help me as soon as possible? For the enrollment deposit, can we mail a personal check?

No, you have to send the deposit in unmarked bills.

(Just kidding. Yes, I sent a personal check and they accepted it. I think that's what most people send)

A little advice please.

I submit my application on the 2nd of December and the supplemental by January 10th, but PharmCAS status say UH hasn't received anything yet. Should I call in or wait it out? :(

UH states that all supplemental material has to be submitted by Dec 2, 2013 I am pretty sure.

A little advice please.

I submit my application on the 2nd of December and the supplemental by January 10th, but PharmCAS status say UH hasn't received anything yet. Should I call in or wait it out? :(

You missed the application deadline. The supplemental had to be in on December 2 as well as the PharmCAS application.

From the admissions info page:
  • Provide the completed supplemental application and fee ($100) directly to the UH College of Pharmacy no later than December 2, 2013.

As the December 2, 2013 deadline has already past, we will permit you to submit the completed supplemental application to the University of Houston College of Pharmacy within ten (10) business days of receipt of this message.

Nope, was allowed to submit it after. :(

Do you guys know if it's common for students who get an interview invite don't get accepted? I feel like mostly everyone with an interview get accepted (most of the time).

So I just got accepted to UT austin! I'm excited!...... Decisions decision!

Who do I contact to release my spot? I just got accepted to my top school and would like to give someone else my place in Houston ASAP

Don't worry about anything right now, the emails will come in droves around the end of the semester and summer. Just sit back, relax, and get your deposit in. If you want to keep up and meet your new classmates, join the facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/605890632785917/

Will they contact us regarding our myUH ID that is required for housing? I know housing application has been opened since November and are filling fast. I'm not sure if it is too early to worry about this, but just curious if anyone has received any emails after their acceptance?

Will they contact us regarding our myUH ID that is required for housing? I know housing application has been opened since November and are filling fast. I'm not sure if it is too early to worry about this, but just curious if anyone has received any emails after their acceptance?

Yeah, UH will contact you. You won't get many further emails outside of FAFSA and financial aid later on as the semester progresses. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the rest of the semester because trust me, you'll get bombed with emails starting in May. If you really want to know some information and it keeps bugging you then just call the admissions office and they will gladly help you out.

Maki, what housing are you referring to? I need to figure out where I want to live lol

Maki, what housing are you referring to? I need to figure out where I want to live lol

I'm referring to the housing applications for oncampus living. There are a couple oncampus places and there are some off campus apartments that are near the COP. The facebook page said that they are currently compiling a list of places and will send them out soon, so no worries! :)

YAY! Just got an interview for march 21st! Do you all have any tips?? :)
Also, is the interview closed or open file? I'm so freaking nervous...

The interview is open file. They had my pre-interview questions out and specifically asked me some questions about them. My interviewers asked me a lot of scenario questions, like, "When was a time that you failed to uphold a commitment".

The interview is open file. They had my pre-interview questions out and specifically asked me some questions about them. My interviewers asked me a lot of scenario questions, like, "When was a time that you failed to uphold a commitment".

OH GOSH!! :( :( That's a little scary.. How did you answer your way through them...especially for hard ones you didn't have answers for? Also do you have any tips for coming up with reasonable answers on the spot??

I honestly don't like those type of questions either. I stuttered a little bit for an answer for that one. The way you approach a question, which when initially asked and you KNOW you don't have an immediate answer to, you should immediately tell the interviews to give you a few moments to think of a response. There's nothing wrong with doing that and it's better than stumbling your way through the questions half-a$sed

Last edited:
Did anybody interview on February 7th and receive a reply from UH? The admissions committee probably wants to see the next round of interviewers (March 7th) before they give us a final decision. I am excited to hear back from them by March 14th!