2018 University of Houston C/O 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UH is pretty fast. I heard from them in exactly 3 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have just received an offer of acceptance via email at 2:56 P.M, interview was on February 7th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on acceptances!

I'm currently doing pre-reqs and I was wondering how difficult the interview was? I am pretty bad at interviews as how it prevented me from progressing pharmacy school once before.

Should I really worry about it?

Congrats on acceptances!

I'm currently doing pre-reqs and I was wondering how difficult the interview was? I am pretty bad at interviews as how it prevented me from progressing pharmacy school once before.

Should I really worry about it?

The interview is an important process. I thought I was a bad interviewer, too, but I grew more confidence when I did two mock interviews at my school.

You want to practice for various questions, but you do not want to sound rehearsed. For many different kinds of interviews, the STAR method is preferred when describing different situations you've been in. Try to think of a good number of stories to remember that showcase certain abilities/talents that you want to showoff. You may think that your experiences are ordinary, but do not self doubt yourself! Everybody has their own unique experience and your experiences are credible and unique. Use the "STAR" method for the stories that you'd like to tell:
S: State the situation. T: Tell what task(s) needed to be done. A: What was the action that you (and maybe others) took? and R: What was the result of your actions and what did you learn from it?

Of course, you have to show that you really are interested in being at their pharmacy school. You may tend to have a serious face when answering questions during the interview, but try to smile... The interviewers want to know that you can get along with and communicate well with others. Different schools have different interview styles. For example, at Texas Tech, they ask a lot of behavioral interview questions ("Tell me about a time when..."). At their school, a faculty member and a P1/P2 student will interview. For my UH interview, I had one faculty and one post-graduate student interview me so that was a little more intimidating. This thread has some sample general questions: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mock-interview-questions-for-pre-pharm-students.309354/ and so does this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/helpful-interview-questions-responses.94738/

There are many other interview pre-pharmacy threads like this one:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/preparing-for-interviews.1037063/#post-14525076

There WILL be ONE ethical question (most likely). For example, when has a situation challenged your morals/ethics and how did you handle it? It also looks good if you really researched on the school and have some good questions to ask. I watched "InfoPharmacy's" videos on YouTube for the questions to ask and that helped.

Lastly, if it helps you to know what questions that specific pharmacy school has asked in previous years, then some people provide interview feedback here: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/?view=pharmacy

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
How big of a role does the pre interview questions play in getting in UH pharmacy school? :( I am so freaking tired of looking at them..

If they ask you about your pre questions as they did in mine in January, then yes I would say that's significant. However, I believe the interview is of smaller importance compared to good stats. As long as you present yourself as a decent person, your interview is good.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone who got accepted get a call from the school asking to give their social security number over the phone?

Yes. And yeah, it is sketchy to do that over the phone, although it was Mr. Ely that called and I recognized his voice so I was okay with it

If I don't get results within 3 weeks of the interview, is it safe to assume I have been rejected? :( ARGHhhhh this waiting game hurts so bad. I'm refreshing my inbox ~10 times a day...

Has anyone ever tried to get a partial refund of their deposit? Or know somebody who has? I find it very cruel that they don't do a partial refund of the $400 deposit.

It says that a small portion of it will go towards your tuition. Otherwise, the 400$ is nonrefundable.

That's what seems unethical to me. If I'm not attending anymore than the portion that would have gone towards tuition should be refunded.

I'm pretty sure all universities does that, not just UH. It's a small part of how they earn their income.

Not true. UTCoP doesn't require a deposit until May, is only $200, AND you can request a waiver for financial need.

Most of us are young students who are very financially vulnerable. My graduate education is going to have to be completely funded by loans and scholarships.

It's a small sacrifice we've got to make, if we're to succeed. My family is making a lot of sacrifices for the 400$ as well, but we are happy.

:) Just be grateful you got choices of schools to make and congrats in getting accepted to UTCOP!!!

Reactions: 1 user
This is one of many schools that I will be applying to. I live in the Houston area so I prefer to stay here. UH and TSU are my top 2 choices.
Hello pharmacyrx90, I know this forum is quite ancient, but may I know if you got into UH or TSU?