2019-2020 LECOM-E Post Bacc (Masters program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If i get in, even though the program will be online, I'm still thinking about moving closer to the school.

Members don't see this ad.

What would you guys say the real cost of being in the program was?

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted! :D
Now to prepare to take the MCAT by January..

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to retake the SATs to boost the AIS score? :wacky::unsure: Asking for a friend. I swear!

Congratulations, when did you submit?
Let me tell you everything. I submitted on June 6th, submitted grades on June 11th, and my recommendations came in on June 30th or July 1st. Had a recorded interview on July 6th. Acceptance (by email) July 8th.

What would you guys say the real cost of being in the program was?

I think it'll probably be different this year just due to the online nature, and the fact that some of you may be living at home (so no need to loan for rent, utilities, food, etc.)

I think without all that it's right around $23k when you factor in tuition and all the mandatory fees.

I think it'll probably be different this year just due to the online nature, and the fact that some of you may be living at home (so no need to loan for rent, utilities, food, etc.)

I think without all that it's right around $23k when you factor in tuition and all the mandatory fees.

Hey there! Accepted to LECOM-E. Have former students received scholarships at all or just loans to finance the program?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there! Accepted to LECOM-E. Have former students received scholarships at all or just loans to finance the program?
CONGRATULATIONS!! :happy:

Loansssss all the loans :(

It's a bit difficult to find a scholarship applicable to this specific type of program (doesn't mean they aren't out there!). However, we do have scholarship opportunities in the medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
CONGRATULATIONS!! :happy:

Loansssss all the loans :(

It's a bit difficult to find a scholarship applicable to this specific type of program (doesn't mean they aren't out there!). However, we do have scholarship opportunities in the medical school.

Thanks! I was sad to hear there isn't a monthly payment plan. Did your loans accrue interest while you were in the program or were they deferred until after graduation?

Hi everyone!

First and foremost, congratulations to all those who have been accepted and I'll be rooting for everyone that are still waiting for a decision :)

I applied a little over a week and a half ago, submitted my video interview on 7/8, and my current application status is " The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive a letter in the mail within 30 days." I was wondering if those who were granted acceptance via email had the same status on their portal as well. I'm just really anxious and I do not want to wait on the mail but if I must then it is what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

First and foremost, congratulations to all those who have been accepted and I'll be rooting for everyone that are still waiting for a decision :)

I applied a little over a week and a half ago, submitted my video interview on 7/8, and my current application status is " The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive a letter in the mail within 30 days." I was wondering if those who were granted acceptance via email had the same status on their portal as well. I'm just really anxious and I do not want to wait on the mail but if I must then it is what it is.
did they inform you to do a video interview?

Congratulations, do you mind sharing your stats? Also does anyone know if there seats left? I applied a while ago but they are waiting for me to send my summer classes scores in?

did they inform you to do a video interview?
Yes, I received an email saying I was selected for an interview so I was just wondering if I will be getting an email or a physical letter. Did you record an interview as well or you haven't heard back from admissions yet?

Yes, I received an email saying I was selected for an interview so I was just wondering if I will be getting an email or a physical letter. Did you record an interview as well or you haven't heard back from admissions yet?
They are waiting for me to send in my last few credit grades that I'm finishing up this week to even review my file. So hopefully they will send it in pretty fast after that.

Thanks! I was sad to hear there isn't a monthly payment plan. Did your loans accrue interest while you were in the program or were they deferred until after graduation?

They accrue interest :(

Payment is deferred while in school full-time, but they are definitely still accruing interest.

You'll receive a physical letter from the school. The wait is agonizing haha. You'll also have to submit the deposit to the school via mail. Hope this helps.

Do you know the MMS class size yet at Erie? Bradenton is 123 this year

Hey,

I received an acceptance letter via email on Tuesday! I haven't decided if I will go because I am still waiting on two other schools.

Hi all,

I recently took my mcat and got a score of 501. This was my third attempt at the exam and my highest score. I have a 3.4 cgpa and what should be around a 3.0 sgpa, although I have yet to fully calculate it. If anyone could assess my chances at getting into the MMS for next summer of 2021 that would be greatly appreciated.

Overall, finishing and having my aacomas application ready with everything needed is something I'll not be able to do in a timely fashion so the MMS may be my best option considering I'm highly interested in LECOM. With that said, I'm wondering how I would go about sending LORs. Does anyone know the process of sending LORs to the school if you haven't applied via aacomas? In addition, would it be ok if I applied with everything ready by like November or December, 2020? My main issue has been a lack of communication with former professors I asked for LORs during the pandemic, so I may have to physically go to my alma mater in September to hopefully speak to them in-person.

Hi all,

I recently took my mcat and got a score of 501. This was my third attempt at the exam and my highest score. I have a 3.4 cgpa and what should be around a 3.0 sgpa, although I have yet to fully calculate it. If anyone could assess my chances at getting into the MMS for next summer of 2021 that would be greatly appreciated.

Overall, finishing and having my aacomas application ready with everything needed is something I'll not be able to do in a timely fashion so the MMS may be my best option considering I'm highly interested in LECOM. With that said, I'm wondering how I would go about sending LORs. Does anyone know the process of sending LORs to the school if you haven't applied via aacomas? In addition, would it be ok if I applied with everything ready by like November or December, 2020? My main issue has been a lack of communication with former professors I asked for LORs during the pandemic, so I may have to physically go to my alma mater in September to hopefully speak to them in-person.

I would say you have a good chance of getting into the MMS Program for the 2021-2022 academic year. Regarding to LORs, I had my letter writer send the letter of recommendation to Jamie Murphy's email address. Another option is through Interfolio!

I would say you have a good chance of getting into the MMS Program for the 2021-2022 academic year. Regarding to LORs, I had my letter writer send the letter of recommendation to Jamie Murphy's email address. Another option is through Interfolio!
Thank you very much for this information! Another further question is, since my mcat score was exactly the 50th percentile, this means I would not have to retake while in the MMS in order to matriculate into lecom?

Thank you very much for this information! Another further question is, since my mcat score was exactly the 50th percentile, this means I would not have to retake while in the MMS in order to matriculate into lecom?

Correct! As long as your MCAT score is above 497 within the past 3 years, your MMS GPA is above 3.3 with no failures in any individual course, and professionalism was displayed throughout the program and your career, you will be eligible for an interview with the DO program!

100% chance for MMS, lots of people with stats below yours. Your stats might get you into the newer DO schools this year but I wouldn't suggest it. Since you have a year before you apply you could always try to shoot for a 507+ and you wouldn't even need to do MMS and have a shot at a good amount of DO schools.
Hey thanks a lot for your encouragement/advice! I am really on the fence about retaking the exam for a fourth time and waiting out another cycle (will be going into my second gap year). I pretty much gave it my all this time and the 501 is better than I ever did before. So with that said, I feel this MMS is probably the best shot for me in terms of medical school. Factoring in a couple retakes also means my gpa is more like a 3.2 or 3.3.

Last edited:
Any people originally from the NYC area in the program/at LECOM? Interested to hear any feedback. Erie seems like a cool place and my mom's friend's daughter who recently graduated from there seemed to love it. I lived at home for undergrad so I'm curious about student housing etc.

Does anyone know how the medical program is at LECOM? I have heard good and bad things about it.

Where do most people live? I'm looking at apartments that range anywhere from 900-1100. Please let me know.

Any people originally from the NYC area in the program/at LECOM? Interested to hear any feedback. Erie seems like a cool place and my mom's friend's daughter who recently graduated from there seemed to love it. I lived at home for undergrad so I'm curious about student housing etc.
I did the MMS the past year and am from there. Erie is definitely small compared to the city but it definitely grew on me. You get used to it and plus you’re gonna be plenty busy with school to keep you occupied; it’s good there’s less things to do cause that’s less distractions lol.

I did the MMS the past year and am from there. Erie is definitely small compared to the city but it definitely grew on me. You get used to it and plus you’re gonna be plenty busy with school to keep you occupied; it’s good there’s less things to do cause that’s less distractions lol.
Oh that's awesome! Are you going to be matriculating to LECOM now? One thing I'm curious about is that having a car is pretty much necessary in Erie right? And the most feasible way to actually get there from where we are is by car? Never driven 7 hours before but it'll be worth it for this I think.

Oh that's awesome! Are you going to be matriculating to LECOM now? One thing I'm curious about is that having a car is pretty much necessary in Erie right? And the most feasible way to actually get there from where we are is by car? Never driven 7 hours before but it'll be worth it for this I think.
Yup! Got into the LDP pathway and it’s not absolutely necessary if you live right by the campus but I would highly recommend having a car. Yea I drive here and back often it’s not so bad.

Yup! Got into the LDP pathway and it’s not absolutely necessary if you live right by the campus but I would highly recommend having a car. Yea I drive here and back often it’s not so bad.
Oh that's awesome. Congratulations on getting in! But one of the things I'm wondering about is to gauge the difficulty of actually being able to matriculate into DO the following year. Would you say it's doable if you study hard? I just wanna know cuz it's definitely option #1 for me and I want to fully assess everything before applying. And that's great to hear that the drive isn't bad, do you take stops along the way?

Where do most people live? I'm looking at apartments that range anywhere from 900-1100. Please let me know.

most people either live in Laurel Springs/Ridges or The Hammocks. They’re all owned by Riedman Properties! They usually have a waitlist to get an apartment though so I’d call ahead!

I have a 1 bedroom in Laurel Ridges and it’s about $780 - I have an extra fee because oF my pupper.

Hey, how strict are they with the video interview we send in?

I basically wore a business casual attire for the video and then answered the three questions in three separate clips and then I clipped them all together and edited the video.

Is it fine that mine is only 1 min and 30 seconds

As long as you think you answered the questions adequately to the best of your ability. It’s about the quality of the answers you give, not quantity. With that being said, mine was close to 3 minutes.

Anyone know how the grading works? For a similar masters at Touro, you're graded according to how everyone else in the program does. Is it similar or different at Erie? Although Touro's closer to home I find that grading policy really risky for something like this.

Anyone know how the grading works? For a similar masters at Touro, you're graded according to how everyone else in the program does. Is it similar or different at Erie? Although Touro's closer to home I find that grading policy really risky for something like this.

You are not graded against the class here - the grade you get is the grade you earn. Our grading scale is A, B, C, F. (No Ds!).

A - 89.5-100
B - 79.5 - 89.4
C - 69.5.- 79.4
F - 69.4 and below

Hey guys/gals,

I made a discord server for the MMS program since I don't use facebook. I posted a message in the other thread, but the link is Join the LECOM MMS Discord Server! if anyone is interested in joining and is not actively following the new thread. Since the format is going to online all year, I thought it would be nice to have a discord server to study together and get to know each other. Thank you!

I'm not totally sure how competitive it is to get in as it is a new MMS program and things are constantly changing. In my experience, as long as you have a clean background check, drug test, and no professionalism issues you should have no problem being accepted into the MMS program. You will need a qualifying MCAT/AIS score by the time you matriculate to the Med School, but you do not need this to be accepted into the MMS. As long as the prerequisites are met, and you seem like a professional and intrinsically motivated student, I see no reason why someone wouldn't be accepted.
I have some questions regarding this. On the program website, it says we need a 2.75 minimum GPA. But then it also says that 3.2+ for successful candidates. I have uGPA of 3.03 (this is after undergrade and post bacc work ). MCAT wise, it says " A competitive score is in the 40th percentile or higher. ", and i have a 494 on the MCAT (my reading was the lowest). Does this mean I won't be able to get into the program?

I have some questions regarding this. On the program website, it says we need a 2.75 minimum GPA. But then it also says that 3.2+ for successful candidates. I have uGPA of 3.03 (this is after undergrade and post bacc work ). MCAT wise, it says " A competitive score is in the 40th percentile or higher. ", and i have a 494 on the MCAT (my reading was the lowest). Does this mean I won't be able to get into the program?
You should be able to get into the program, but I’m pretty sure you’ll have to retake your mcat and score at least 497 to be able to matriculate to the medical school after the MMS. Unless you use your SAT for the AIS, but I’m not entirely sure how that works.

You should be able to get into the program, but I’m pretty sure you’ll have to retake your mcat and score at least 497 to be able to matriculate to the medical school after the MMS. Unless you use your SAT for the AIS, but I’m not entirely sure how that works.
thank you for replying! i contacted the school and they said exactly what you said. i will start studying for the MCAT for one of the March dates!

for the personal statement, is it ok if I reuse the personal statement I used for med school, except add a little bit about the MS program and I want to do it?

for the personal statement, is it ok if I reuse the personal statement I used for med school, except add a little bit about the MS program and I want to do it?
I used my med school one. I made some changes based on the program and just If it need to be shorter I think then I cut out some sentences.