*** 2019-2020 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@mdphd_applicant
Are the IIs you're getting from similar caliber schools as the institution you attend? I assume probably other T10 schools then? If so, you could also let the PD know if you meet with them that you have these similar interview invites but your institution remains your top choice. Also, another possibility is that you're highly ranked on their hold list but other undergrads/grads from your school have also applied en masse to your institution and your school doesn't want to send out too many invites to its own students right now so there isn't an admissions bias. If you feel like you're highly competitive for similar programs to your institution, maybe this explains why you aren't getting the institutional love right now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@mdphd_applicant
Are the IIs you're getting from similar caliber schools as the institution you attend? I assume probably other T10 schools then? If so, you could also let the PD know if you meet with them that you have these similar interview invites but your institution remains your top choice. Also, another possibility is that you're highly ranked on their hold list but other undergrads/grads from your school have also applied en masse to your institution and your school doesn't want to send out too many invites to its own students right now so there isn't an admissions bias. If you feel like you're highly competitive for similar programs to your institution, maybe this explains why you aren't getting the institutional love right now

Thank you! This gives me more perspective. I am getting other T10 IIs so it's not like I'm not at the caliber that my undergrad expects. I definitely think it's bcs there are others applying w/ me. I definitely will mention interviewing at other programs - but keeping my undergrad as my no. 1.

Thank you! This gives me more perspective. I am getting other T10 IIs so it's not like I'm not at the caliber that my undergrad expects. I definitely think it's bcs there are others applying w/ me. I definitely will mention interviewing at other programs - but keeping my undergrad as my no. 1.

Awesome! Glad to offer some perspective. Just hang in there! I bet the II will come and if it doesn't, I'm sure you'll find another great place that's an even better fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For all my interviews I got all the info the beginning of the week since most of my interviews started on Wed or Thurs.

So generally like 3-4 days before.

Thank you for this! I received a schedule and information about one of the two today so I’m a lot less worried now.

Any applicant to UNC's MD/PhD program have their application status change on their portal (pre II)? Mine changed pre-II but haven't heard from them yet

Mine also changed to "decided" but I haven't heard anything else yet.

Their website says interview invites don't go out until December. So it could be an interview invite that just isn't being disclosed yet?

Their website says interview invites don't go out until December. So it could be an interview invite that just isn't being disclosed yet?

Contacted their MD/PhD office and got this response:

"Apparently there is a slight glitch in our system. Our Admissions Committee will be meeting November 8th so you should receive notice sometime during the week of November 11th."

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
I've been fortunate enough to have a number of MSTP interviews that have been more or less back-to-back, but this has made it difficult to find time to write thank-you letters to all of my interviewers since I've often had 8+ interviewers at a given school. In these cases is it reasonable to just write a thank you to the director(s)? I know it isn't ideal and I would love to individually thank each person who took the time to meet with me, but I'm also constantly traveling and trying to keep up with work which has made that tough.

Notified that I was put on interview hold list for Mayo MSTP. Does anyone have any specific knowledge what a pre-II hold means at Mayo? Mayo would be my number 1 choice (very near immediate family / hometown as well), so my plan is to stay on hold and send a substantive update soon. Any advice would be appreciated!

They also gave me the option to choose to switch over to MD-only and take myself out of MSTP consideration, but I'm committed to the MSTP option (unless it seems unlikely I'll get an II here after being put on hold).

Notified that I was put on interview hold list for Mayo MSTP. Does anyone have any specific knowledge what a pre-II hold means at Mayo? Mayo would be my number 1 choice (very near immediate family / hometown as well), so my plan is to stay on hold and send a substantive update soon. Any advice would be appreciated!

They also gave me the option to choose to switch over to MD-only and take myself out of MSTP consideration, but I'm committed to the MSTP option (unless it seems unlikely I'll get an II here after being put on hold).

I am sorry that I can't answer your question, but I am curious when you were complete? I feel like Mayo has been pretty quiet this cycle based on these forums.

I am sorry that I can't answer your question, but I am curious when you were complete? I feel like Mayo has been pretty quiet this cycle based on these forums.

There's a fresh rejection from Mayo in the rejection thread today...

Complete email 8/7. They specifically say on their website that they send out the first wave of II's late October, so I think they're on track.

I'm not sure about MSTP pre-II holds, but a pre-II hold at Mayo for MD usually has a really low chance of being transformed into an actual II (check out the Mayo thread for more info on this). Since it seems like you would much rather do the MSTP anyway, I don't think it would be a good idea to switch.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a fresh rejection from Mayo in the rejection thread today...

Checked this thread right before that one...Regardless, still silent on IIs for the most part.

@iceberg413 thanks for the info from their website — I didn't see that!

Checked this thread right before that one...Regardless, still silent on IIs for the most part.

@iceberg413 thanks for the info from their website — I didn't see that!

True on the Mayo II part. Based on their website, they say they start sending interviews late October so presumably they have just started sending them out. Hopefully we see some come our way soon!

Has anyone heard back from NYU post interview?

they told us at the interview end of October but it’s pretty much the end already. I guess we’re in for a January Acceptance cycle as per last year

they told us at the interview end of October but it’s pretty much the end already. I guess we’re in for a January Acceptance cycle as per last year

Can I ask when your interview was? Was it September, early October, or late October?

Per their website it could also be in November

I heard similar info and was interviewed in September

Does anyone have some insight on Kaiser's MD/PhD program? The potential seems good; the PhD is at Caltech, and Kaiser is a primary care powerhouse. It's also fully funded... but will its new status hurt residency prospects down the line?

Is there some sort of consolidated document that lists the average class size/number of spots for different MD/PhD programs? I know some programs state it on their website and/or have really consistent classes from one year to another, but I've also seen a few programs where the number varies a lot and I'm not sure if this indicates med students who transferred into the MD/PhD program later or just some noise between years.

Does anyone have some insight on Kaiser's MD/PhD program? The potential seems good; the PhD is at Caltech, and Kaiser is a primary care powerhouse. It's also fully funded... but will its new status hurt residency prospects down the line?

I doubt they'll have bad match results. Regardless, the MD-PhD will be matching several years later after a reputation is established for the school. The issue with any new program is that they need to make sure that you graduate on time and that all the coursework requirements are taken care of at Caltech. The first candidates will probably experience growing pains in this regard.

Is there some sort of consolidated document that lists the average class size/number of spots for different MD/PhD programs? I know some programs state it on their website and/or have really consistent classes from one year to another, but I've also seen a few programs where the number varies a lot and I'm not sure if this indicates med students who transferred into the MD/PhD program later or just some noise between years.

These links from AAMC have that info for at least 2018. link and another link .

• Love
Just got invited to Harvard HST MD interview but received a very nicely worded rejection from MSTP. As a student who always really wanted MD/PhD rather than MD... does anyone have insight/comments on whether many MSTP applicants end up going to Harvard med as an affiliate?

Just got invited to Harvard HST MD interview but received a very nicely worded rejection from MSTP. As a student who always really wanted MD/PhD rather than MD... does anyone have insight/comments on whether many MSTP applicants end up going to Harvard med as an affiliate?

I don't actually know the answer but I know @pBar was in a similar-ish position so maybe y'all could talk?

Does anyone know when the silence stops? It seems like II's are slowing down even though I thought post-Nov 1st they would speed up. Or does it pick up more in Jan-Feb.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I don't actually know the answer but I know @pBar was in a similar-ish position so maybe y'all could talk?
Also was in this situation and recently interviewed there for pathways. For what it's worth, everyone I talked to said that affiliating with the MSTP was feasible and that they personally knew people who had gone that route. The biggest challenge IMO would be the lack of full funding.

Also was in this situation and recently interviewed there for pathways. For what it's worth, everyone I talked to said that affiliating with the MSTP was feasible and that they personally knew people who had gone that route. The biggest challenge IMO would be the lack of full funding.

Thank you both!!

Thank you both!!
Yeah, this happened to me as well. Rejected MSTP and offered interview for Pathways. When I went to my interview, they made it apparent that it was pretty easy to affiliate to the MD-PhD program, however funding does seem to be the issue with doing so. At least from my position, if I am fortunate enough to receive good news in March, I will have to weigh the total potential funding available if I do choose to affiliate to their MD-PhD program after year 1. The resources offered and opportunities at HMS are definitely worth while, but the funding would have to be substantial enough in my eyes to consider committing, especially after already receiving an acceptance at another program that is fully funded and close to home. Best of luck to you, and still congrats on being offered an interview!

Does anyone know when the silence stops? It seems like II's are slowing down even though I thought post-Nov 1st they would speed up. Or does it pick up more in Jan-Feb.
I don't have an answer for this but it has also only been 3 days since Nov 1 and there is plenty of time!

On a different note for my own curiosity's sake....how in god's name did you write 37 secondaries o_o

Is there a significance to Nov 1st that I'm missing?

Is there a significance to Nov 1st that I'm missing?

Likely after the first acceptances go out, people will start dropping interview invites. Also maybe a shift in time spent on admissions decisions to time spent on application review for additional interview invites?

Reactions: 4 users
I don't have an answer for this but it has also only been 3 days since Nov 1 and there is plenty of time!

On a different note for my own curiosity's sake....how in god's name did you write 37 secondaries o_o

Honestly it took a lot of late nights. It was not a fun time and I definitely applied to too many.

• Wow
For schools that only have 1-2 more interview dates remaining (Dec/Jan interviews), can I assume that I have been soft-rejected if I haven't received an invite by now? I might just be overly pessimistic, the silence is getting to me.

For schools that only have 1-2 more interview dates remaining (Dec/Jan interviews), can I assume that I have been soft-rejected if I haven't received an invite by now? I might just be overly pessimistic, the silence is getting to me.

+1!!!

Yeah, waiting on Harvard, UCSF, WashU, UCSD, and Columbia myself...

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Silence from UChicago and Northwestern (my two top choices), UCSF and Yale, and a few others, but the aforementioned are the ones that are really killing me.

Silence from Emory, at this point the only other school I want to hear from.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Silence for me too from Columbia, Yale, Harvard, UCSF. Kinda dejected bcs they're all top schools and great fits. Hoping there is some significant waitlist movement or the like.

Withdrew from Pitt the other day and on my portal it says "Invited to interview. Applicant did not schedule before the close of the interview season. Therefore, application has been withdrawn." Anyone else withdraw and have this same thing happen? I suspect it is a glitch in the system because I can't find any emails from them.

It is considered a "Passive Withdrawal". That is one of the admission actions. It won't affect you in any way. Your message of withdrawal trickled into their system, but their system was not nimble enough to withdraw you before the "close to the interview" scheduling date (not season). Don't worry...

Any applicants (or past applicants) that have attended SUNY upstate's interview? I have some questions that I want to ask over pm if possible

It is considered a "Passive Withdrawal". That is one of the admission actions. It won't affect you in any way. Your message of withdrawal trickled into their system, but their system was not nimble enough to withdraw you before the "close to the interview" scheduling date (not season). Don't worry...
Just curious, but what kind of consequences could there be since the original intention was to withdraw?

None... Other than you are no longer being consider at that particular program. "This action should be used when an applicant withdraws from consideration by your school by failing to meet your requirements, such as submitting a secondary application, secondary fees or additional documentation. " Your requirements could be such as not scheduling an interview prior to deadline.

I was just surprised because I had never received an invitation to interview (to the best of my knowledge, which was consistent with the portal never giving me the option to schedule one) and actively withdrew using the portal the other day. Had I received an interview invite email, out of respect to other applicants, I would have declined immediately to open that spot up to someone else. So I am guessing that what I'm seeing is just a glitch in their automated response.

At the OSU interview, the directors mentioned that it was possible to be accepted earlier than most applicants do (they officially make decisions in February). I really loved the program and I am anxious to find out if I got in. Does anyone know how long OSU has been waiting to offer early acceptance?