2019-2020 Nevada, Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:
1. Describe how your background and future goals will contribute to the mission of the UNLV School of Medicine (250 or less words).

2. Provide a BRIEF chronological summary of your time since graduating from high school up to the point of applying to medical school.

3. If you have any other information you believe is important for the Admissions Committee to consider, please include it here. You are limited to 250 words. Do not restate information already in your primary AMCAS application.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Nevada - Las Vegas

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bumping this to the top...who's applying UNLV this cycle? It's my number one choice

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email saying my application has been received and is currently being reviewed! *fingers crossed*

Just received an email saying my application has been received and is currently being reviewed! *fingers crossed*
Me too! I heard from a friend of a friend that the secondary prompts are the same as last cycle but hopefully we'll know soon enough.

I assume you're instate?

Me too! I heard from a friend of a friend that the secondary prompts are the same as last cycle but hopefully we'll know soon enough.

I assume you're instate?
From Arizona but have family there and not far at all time wise!

Reactions: 1 user
@PapaGuava

1. Describe how your background and future goals will contribute to the mission of the UNLV School of Medicine (250 or less words).

2. Provide a BRIEF chronological summary of your time since graduating from high school up to the point of applying to medical school.

3. If you have any other information you believe is important for the Admissions Committee to consider, please include it here. You are limited to 250 words. Do not restate information already in your primary AMCAS application.

About how long did it take you to send in your primary and receive your secondary?

*Morfina, the patient population in Las Vegas is very broad. Did you have a more specific question?

Worth applying here as someone who lives in an adjacent state with parents who own several houses in Vegas? We only rent those houses out.

Worth applying here as someone who lives in an adjacent state with parents who own several houses in Vegas? We only rent those houses out.
Well I don't know if just having a business venture in the state would qualify as state ties. Check the school website, they list specific ties they are looking for.

• Currently enrolled, or a graduate of a university or college in Nevada
  • Graduate of a Nevada high school, public, charter or private
  • Born in Nevada
  • Lived in Nevada previously, before or after the age of 18, for at least 12 months
  • Primary family* members currently reside full-time in Nevada
  • Dependent of a member of the active-duty military who claims Nevada as their primary state of residence
  • Current or former member of the military who claims Nevada as their primary state of residence
  • Physically lived in Nevada for 12 months prior to matriculation date
  • Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. (green card holders).
  • Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents of the US (green card holders) or have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status. Preference will be given to Nevada residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
June 26th!
CA resident
Some ties to Nevada, but not stated anywhere on primary
They might still be focusing on instate apps right now. Hopefully you'll get a secondary soon and then you can mention your ties to Nevada. Good luck!

to those who have received secondaries -- are the prompts the same as last year?

and what are people putting as a "brief" summary since high school?

to those who have received secondaries -- are the prompts the same as last year?

and what are people putting as a "brief" summary since high school?
Yep, same as last year. The prompts are in the first post of this thread. There's an example of how to write the chronological summary when you receive the secondary and create an account on the schools portal. Good luck!

I also want to pursue a part time career in poker. Is unlv oos friendly?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I also want to pursue a part time career in poker. Is unlv oos friendly?
this was in the email I got once verified:

Our mission is to educate physicians who will serve the state of Nevada. In line with our mission, priority consideration for admission will be given to the following:
  • Nevada residents
  • Individuals who graduate from a Nevada high school or college
  • Individuals who have previously lived in Nevada
  • Individuals have family living in Nevada (e.g. parents, grandparents, siblings, spouse/partner)
  • Individuals who have other significant connections to Nevada (e.g. military service)
A small number of applicants from states adjacent to Nevada will be considered each application cycle. Out-of-state applicants with no connections to Nevada are not encouraged to apply.

I received one today. OOS w/ ties to Nevada (not explicit in AMCAS)
Awesome! Me too! It was in my spam folder for some reason. Did you get interview dates for Sept or Oct?

So I live in CA with no ties to Nevada or UNLV. They sent an email discouraging OOS no ties to not apply but received a secondary.

Should I still apply or would it just be an application at the bottom of the pile?

So I live in CA with no ties to Nevada or UNLV. They sent an email discouraging OOS no ties to not apply but received a secondary.

Should I still apply or would it just be an application at the bottom of the pile?
Being that the class is so small, unless you have outrageously competitive stats and want to live in LV, your application may be looked over. Having any score less than the 75th percentile in the MSAR will put you at a disadvantage. UNLV wants people to live and breathe LV medicine.

II just now! First one of the cycle! OOS but graduated from high school in NV and my family still lives there. Submitted 7/16. Stats in signature.

Reactions: 2 users
II!!! First one :giggle: OOS 511 3.6 cGPA. Submitted secondary 7/14

Reactions: 3 users
4.0 and 522? what are ya doing applying to UNLV? xD
It would be nice to move closer to family after going to school out of state. Plus the chance for some dope financial aid is always a bonus! Haha

Just got told by UNLV admissions that I wont be looked at further. Apparently, my higher level psychology course, Neuropharmacology on drugs and how they affect human behavior, wasn't "General or Broad enough in scope" of a psychology course to meet their minimum psych requirement.... All my 9 other schools accept it as a psych req. tho.

Do you mind sharing whether they reached out through email or you called the office?

Also, sorry to hear that, but its only one school out of so many!! Keep pushing. Sending you the best of luck!!

Just got told by UNLV admissions that I wont be looked at further. Apparently, my higher level psychology course, Neuropharmacology on drugs and how they affect human behavior, wasn't "General or Broad enough in scope" of a psychology course to meet their minimum psych requirement.... All my 9 other schools accept it as a psych req. tho.
Are you out of state?

II !! OOS strong ties. Submitted secondary 8/6,

First II! Submitted secondary on 8/18. OOS but with primary family in the area so it's probably my top choice!!

Is anyone interviewing on 10/04?

Interviewing 10/18. That was the earliest date listed for me.

Can’t believe Interviews have started and well finally have a full school with the next class. I’m a 3rd year here if anyone has any questions I’ll try my best to answer them!

II! First one of the cycle. OOS with strong ties. Picked 10/18...no confirmation email yet though.

Can’t believe Interviews have started and well finally have a full school with the next class. I’m a 3rd year here if anyone has any questions I’ll try my best to answer them!
what made you pick UNLV? if you're a third year are you a part of the inaugural class?

what made you pick UNLV? if you're a third year are you a part of the inaugural class?
A lot of reasons. My family is all in Vegas. I wanted the chance to be a part of an inaugural class. I loved the faculty that I met here during interviews. And the scholarship definitely helped.

Reactions: 3 users
What did you study in undergrad?
How do you feel about the electronic anatomy lab?

What did you study in undergrad?
How do you feel about the electronic anatomy lab?
I studied biochem & molecular biology.
A lot of mixed feelings about anatomy. You’ll learn enough to get the job done for exams. That being said I probably don’t know anatomy as well as students who had to go through the entire cadaver and got tested on every single muscle nerve artery etc. but then again I feel like rote anatomy memorization is something you remember for a test and brain dump anyways. So far I have not felt at a disadvantage during clerkships not even on surgery. I learn the relevant anatomy beforehand by reading about whatever case I’ll be scrubbing into. I probably wouldn’t have been any more or less prepared for 3rd year rotations with cadaver anatomy than I am now.

I studied biochem & molecular biology.
A lot of mixed feelings about anatomy. You’ll learn enough to get the job done for exams. That being said I probably don’t know anatomy as well as students who had to go through the entire cadaver and got tested on every single muscle nerve artery etc. but then again I feel like rote anatomy memorization is something you remember for a test and brain dump anyways. So far I have not felt at a disadvantage during clerkships not even on surgery. I learn the relevant anatomy beforehand by reading about whatever case I’ll be scrubbing into. I probably wouldn’t have been any more or less prepared for 3rd year rotations with cadaver anatomy than I am now.

Thank you for the AMA! Do you think it will be harder to get into surgical residencies because of 100% virtual anatomy? Do you feel confident cutting into a live human without ever dissecting before that?

Secondly, do you feel there is enough research in all specialties so that no doors are closed off to us because of the growing need for related research in the competitive specialties?

Lastly, a friend told me that 40% of the class failed Step 1. Is there any truth to this? Would you mind telling us the average step 1 scores so far to put us at ease. I’m sure you can understand the fear of going to a non-established school when Step 1 scores are so important. There are certainly schools with seemingly terrible curriculums that show in their abnormally low Step scores compared to similar caliber schools; just want to make sure this isn’t another one of those. Thank you and sorry for the harsh questions :)

Thank you for the AMA! Do you think it will be harder to get into surgical residencies because of 100% virtual anatomy? Do you feel confident cutting into a live human without ever dissecting before that?

Secondly, do you feel there is enough research in all specialties so that no doors are closed off to us because of the growing need for related research in the competitive specialties?

Lastly, a friend told me that 40% of the class failed Step 1. Is there any truth to this? Would you mind telling us the average step 1 scores so far to put us at ease. I’m sure you can understand the fear of going to a non-established school when Step 1 scores are so important. There are certainly schools with seemingly terrible curriculums that show in their abnormally low Step scores compared to similar caliber schools; just want to make sure this isn’t another one of those. Thank you and sorry for the harsh questions :)
I don’t think that having cadavers will have any impact on matching surgery or surgical sub specialties. Do well on step do away rotations and research and I really doubt anyone will have any doubts about your ability to do well just because of virtual anatomy. As I stated in my prior post I don’t think I’m any more or less prepared for surgical rotations and I’ve learned a lot on rotations and preparing for cases in advance. And as a third year med student you are not going to be cutting into patients haha.

As far as research being paired with UMC is definitely an advantage. For the most part all of the residents have required research for their programs and it’s easy to jump on a project with them. Also a great way to get to know people in the field you might be interested in. Also during your first year you’re given a list of about 50 people who are taking on students for research that you can reach out to for research positions. We also had a few people do summer research projects at other universities that they applied for, so if you want to do research the opportunity is there.

There is definitely no truth to 40% so I’ll be happy to ease your mind with that. I don’t know the actual average (no one talks about their step score and it’s not something that our school would publish I don’t think) but I believe the range is probably comparable to any other school. Sorry I can’t be more specific but I honestly am not sure how I would even get that info. And if I don’t know it I’m not sure how someone would be telling you 40% of our class failed haha. That being said our class size had decreased since first year. We started with 60 and I believe we are down to 52 now. Some were for health or family reasons, others who didn’t feel prepared for step, and then a few who did fail but definitely not 40%.

Did anybody else submit a phone quality photo with their secondary? Mine is kind of blurry and I tried fixing it up as best as I can...but I work and have absolutely no time to have a professional passport photo taken.

Did anybody else submit a phone quality photo with their secondary? Mine is kind of blurry and I tried fixing it up as best as I can...but I work and have absolutely no time to have a professional passport photo taken.
I did and I got an ii. I made sure there was good lighting and stuff thought so it actually turned out pretty well