2019-2020 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Nevada - Reno

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing here and primary was verified in early June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received their secondary but there's a problem with the login, getting an error when inputting my ID

Secondary Prompts:

All 300 words

Describe your primary motivation for applying to UNR Med, your most important connection(s) to the state of Nevada and any plans for using your career in medicine to support our vision of a healthy Nevada.

Describe a time when you were faced with a significant life crisis, a personal struggle, or an academic or professional failure. How did you respond and how did your experience impact your future actions.

Nevada faces health care challenges that include racial and ethnic health disparities, a shortage of physicians in our rural communities, and inadequate medical services for our LGBTQ community and for non-English speakers. Describe how your prior experiences have prepared you to deliver care to underserved patients.

Describe and share what you learned from an experience providing direct patient care.

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected my residency exemption. Even though I live within a mile of an accepted out of state county. And I lived/went to school in an acceptable state for 5 years, but kept my California residency due to a significant scholarship. Oh well.....crazy restrictive requirements for out of state.
That sucks. Did you apply to UNLV too?

No I didn’t as I seem to remember seeing they didn’t like any out of state. Wish I had known this before adding to the primary and paying that fee. But at this point, one primary fee is a drop in the $$$ bucket of 30+ apps and secondaries....haha!!!
That's where I am at, should I even fill out this secondary? I lived in Utah for 20 years but I'm a Missouri resident with no ties to Nevada.

That's where I am at, should I even fill out this secondary? I lived in Utah for 20 years but I'm a Missouri resident with no ties to Nevada.
Check the school website and see what their opinions are on out of state applicants. If they prefer in state applicants, this may be overcome by a high MCAT, like 515+, otherwise it may just be a donation.

Reactions: 1 user
I know the deadline is 7 days after invitation receipt and I just submitted my secondary, but my letters of rec aren't into AMCAS yet so my app isn't technically complete. Do y'all know if I have met the deadline or if my letters need to be in also?
I emailed the admissions office just now but am v nervous lol

Anyone IS and still not get the secondary? It's the only one I haven't received yet:unsure:

If my strongest tie to Nevada is that my brother lives there (Las Vegas) permanently, does anyone know if that would get me approved? I'm unsure if I should even try to submit a residency exemption. I read the above comments and don't have any super strong stats (other than CARS) but i'm still unsure.

I know the deadline is 7 days after invitation receipt and I just submitted my secondary, but my letters of rec aren't into AMCAS yet so my app isn't technically complete. Do y'all know if I have met the deadline or if my letters need to be in also?
I emailed the admissions office just now but am v nervous lol

Update: they said letters need to be in by October 1, so the 1 week deadline does not apply to LORs :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my secondary. OOS but parents are divorced and one of them lives in NV.

If my strongest tie to Nevada is that my brother lives there (Las Vegas) permanently, does anyone know if that would get me approved? I'm unsure if I should even try to submit a residency exemption. I read the above comments and don't have any super strong stats (other than CARS) but i'm still unsure.

Update: I ended up getting approved. I know their website says first degree family member but I was still surprised.

I need some help/advice. So I am a resident of one of UNR's target (preferred?) states but as of a month ago living and working in a "non-target" state. Does anyone think that will cause any issues if given an interview? The residency form said I would have to submit a copy of my license but the one I have is not from my home state due to the move.

I need some help/advice. So I am a resident of one of UNR's target (preferred?) states but as of a month ago living and working in a "non-target" state. Does anyone think that will cause any issues if given an interview? The residency form said I would have to submit a copy of my license but the one I have is not from my home state due to the move.
I think you should fill out a residency exemption form since you don't currently live in one of the states. It'd probably be worse if it comes up in an interview and they realize you don't qualify.

so my parents moved to nevada last year but i was told if i changed my residence to nevada that california schools wouldn't even look at me (avg stats). i'm wondering if my residence exemption form would be accepted and if not, if i can call amcas to change my legal residence? idk how to go about it.

**i got a secondary two days ago...so i'm trying to figure this out asap. any tips would be super helpful!

so my parents moved to nevada last year but i was told if i changed my residence to nevada that california schools wouldn't even look at me (avg stats). i'm wondering if my residence exemption form would be accepted and if not, if i can call amcas to change my legal residence? idk how to go about it.

**i got a secondary two days ago...so i'm trying to figure this out asap. any tips would be super helpful!
I'm pretty sure you would get an approved residence exemption since your parents live there. My brother lives in Nevada and I was approved.

I'm pretty sure you would get an approved residence exemption since your parents live there. My brother lives in Nevada and I was approved.
I just sent in my form actually..so fingers crossed that will work out. Thank you for giving me some reassurance!!

For anybody wondering about interviews: I've learned there will be none in the month of September. The AV system in the simulation rooms (where they hold their MMI's) is being replaced, so the rooms can't be used. Interviews will resume in October and will possibly be happening as frequently as twice a week. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey - Just got an email stating to submit my Casper score. I sent mine to "University of Nevada, Medicine", but looking at that now it may have been for Las Vegas....... Is this a email they sent to everyone?

Ok, just read at the end of the email that if you already took the test to disregard the email. How are they getting our results?
Just a general email, when you select through Casper the schools to send to, it automatically goes to those selected schools.

Was that a friendly reminder for all applicants?

Reactions: 1 users
I know they just resumed the interviews due to the construction. But I haven't gotten any II yet :confused:

In-state applicant, Non-Trad, PostBacc, years of clinical experience, research/publication, local/international volunteer

I know they just resumed the interviews due to the construction. But I haven't gotten any II yet :confused:

In-state applicant, Non-Trad, PostBacc, years of clinical experience, research/publication, local/international volunteer
Did you meet the criteria? They state minimum criteria in the secondary.

i'm praying for a II here, CA resident but strong ties... does anyone know the last interview date for UNR this cycle?

Rejection pre-II today. OOS, no ties to state.

i'm praying for a II here, CA resident but strong ties... does anyone know the last interview date for UNR this cycle?

Keep the faith! I interviewed last week and they told us we were the first interview since August. They will be interviewing every week from now through December. And I was also told that none of the OOS interviews have begun, since they interview NV residents first. They explained that OOS applicants are reviewed in a separate process altogether and that it takes a lot longer, so don't give up yet!

Keep the faith! I interviewed last week and they told us we were the first interview since August. They will be interviewing every week from now through December. And I was also told that none of the OOS interviews have begun, since they interview NV residents first. They explained that OOS applicants are reviewed in a separate process altogether and that it takes a lot longer, so don't give up yet!
you are A BLESSING lol. thank you for letting me know, it definitely gives me more hope!

II just now! OOS, complete 7/29. Interview date is December 2/3.