2020-2021 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh cool! Are the prompts the same as last year? I was verified and transmitted a little later because of transcript delays 🙁
All 300 words (except for the last one 500words) :

Describe your primary motivation for applying to UNR Med, your most important connection(s) to the state of Nevada and any plans for using your career in medicine to support our vision of a healthy Nevada.

Describe a time when you were faced with a significant life crisis, a personal struggle, or an academic or professional failure. How did you respond and how did your experience impact your future actions.

Nevada faces health care challenges that include racial and ethnic health disparities, a shortage of physicians in our rural communities, and inadequate medical services for our LGBTQ community and for non-English speakers. Describe how your prior experiences have prepared you to deliver care to underserved patients.

Describe and share what you learned from an experience providing direct patient care.

Please provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed that you would like considered during the review of your application.
 
Do you all think it's worth applying OOS with no ties to the state? I know only 10% might be taken from this category, but what are they looking for in this group? Stats: 524 / 3.85

They look for someone with your stats if you're OOS. I know they heavily lean towards accepting neighboring states so if you're from UT, ID, CA. etc. then its definitely worth applying.
 
Is it OK to submit more than 3 ref letters? i couldn't see max allowed anywhere
Nevermind, just got this response from the admissions office
"UNR Med does only read three letters and we do suggest only submitting the required three. If more than that are submitted, only 3 will be reviewed so we do strongly recommend any more than that."
 
If they only read and accept 3 letters, how are you all inputting a committee packet/letter (my committee letter combines five letters)? I do not have a clinical letter due to COVID, so does that mean I need another letter in addition to my committee letter? Like do I use comittee letter under "other" and need two NEW writers? Or like when inputting them, do I have to write out my committee in "other" and the two people that I consider "clinical" and "academic"?
 
Last edited:
Nevermind, just got this response from the admissions office
"UNR Med does only read three letters and we do suggest only submitting the required three. If more than that are submitted, only 3 will be reviewed so we do strongly recommend any more than that."

Are you using a committee letter? And just putting three of the individual letters writers within the commitee letter under this section
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else having trouble populating the Required Coursework Part 1 section? I can drag courses over to where they should be but they don't stay there...
 
Anyone else having trouble populating the Required Coursework Part 1 section? I can drag courses over to where they should be but they don't stay there...
A green box should appear when you drag it into the correct spot on the slot. You can't just drop it anywhere on the line, which is annoying. Hope this helps if you haven't gotten it yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any current students or UNR grads confirm if it's appropriate to use UNR Med as an acronym for the school?
 
In the Evaluation Letters section, do they just want us to list the person who we are using to fulfill this spot? They aren't going to directly contact them right? These letters were already included from AMCAS so I don't know why it would be necessary for them to bother our letter writers again....
 
In the Evaluation Letters section, do they just want us to list the person who we are using to fulfill this spot? They aren't going to directly contact them right? These letters were already included from AMCAS so I don't know why it would be necessary for them to bother our letter writers again....

No, highly unusual for them to contact your letter writers. A few secondary applications do this (for whatever reason).
 
Is the last essay topic optional? If not, what is everyone thinking of writing here?

"Please provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed that you would like considered during the review of your application." (500 words)
 
"Describe and share what you learned from an experience providing direct patient care."

Is this related to shadowing or volunteering at a hospital? I haven't really directly treated a patient before, only interacted with them lol
 
Where do you get this?
Once you get the secondary, it will be in the first tab of the menu (residency form). Below is a screenshot of what the form looks like.
Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 9.57.13 AM.jpg
 
Is the last essay topic optional? If not, what is everyone thinking of writing here?

"Please provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed that you would like considered during the review of your application." (500 words)
I was wondering the same thing too
 
Has anyone gotten word on when to possible expect II's this year?

No clue‍♂️ Interviews would normally be well underway by now. I completed my previous UNR interview in August of 2018, so it looks like things are certainly behind schedule considering invitations haven't even been sent out yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No clue‍♂ Interviews would normally be well underway by now. I completed my previous UNR interview in August of 2018, so it looks like things are certainly behind schedule considering invitations haven't even been sent out yet.
Yeah I am sure it is because of COVID but was just wondering if maybe I didn’t get an II yet. How was it when you interviewed last?
 
Yeah I am sure it is because of COVID but was just wondering if maybe I didn’t get an II yet. How was it when you interviewed last?

I actually really enjoyed the tour day and the MMI! Its a unique experience and it gives you a lot of opportunities to show your strengths. Plus if you bomb one scenario it won’t kill your candidacy. Ultimately I think they will still be able to conduct an MMI virtually over a Zoom-style platform, with the exception of a couple MMI stations such as the actor and puzzle stations. I don’t really see those stations as being feasible if they are done virtually.