2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how the classes are set up? Are we in class from 8-5 or what?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I didn’t get into the med school but they suggested I apply to this. I called and talked with someone there and have spent some time on the website. Looks like this could be a great option for me. Followed their instructions and applied.

No worries, last year it took them awhile to get BC accounts up and running too and we were all confused for awhile. Do you see anything under Student > Account > My Account Balances yet? That's where you should eventually see your deposit amount and also be able to make payments. You can make a payment online or over the phone with their Financial Aid office.

Also, Bluefield considers us an "online program" because our classes don't physically take place at their campus, so when course lists are available for next year you'll find them under e-Learning. Last year I don't believe our course list was available until July.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an email stating that "sorry we are unable to offer you a spot" or "you are on waitlist"? If not, then they are probably holding all the applications until they review the new ones that are coming in. Once the seats are all full, then they might send out rejections and waitlists.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received an email stating that "sorry we are unable to offer you a spot" or "you are on waitlist"? If not, then they are probably holding all the applications until they review the new ones that are coming in. Once the seats are all full, then they might send out rejections and waitlists.
This was my thought as well. Deadline still hasn't been reached so I assume they are waiting until then to see how many applications they get.

I was just placed on the waitlist

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't loose hope. People will probably be dropping based on their acceptances to other schools too. Good luck!

Ok, so I played around with the BC account and I literally can’t find anything relating to our program. If anyone can crack at it and find anything please update thanks! I know they just sent it out so I don’t wanna be neurotic and send them emails lol yet

I also received my Bluefield account info over the weekend. No deposit payment posted on my account either. I noticed they have made some updates to the "Accepted Students" page. It seems like things are finally coming together.

Alright, gang. I just got the acceptance letter in the mail with a list of requirements such as $500 deposit within 15 days of receiving acceptance letter and other admission requirements me insurance and health paper work etc

Alright, gang. I just got the acceptance letter in the mail with a list of requirements such as $500 deposit within 15 days of receiving acceptance letter and other admission requirements me insurance and health paper work etc
How long after you found out online via email did the mail acceptance arrive?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my log-in info today. Maybe the letter will be here in a few days.

How long after you found out online via email did the mail acceptance arrive?

I applied like a week after app cycle opened. Got accepted Jan 6 and just received the letter today dated 3/14.

For those of you that got waitlisted or are still awaiting a decision, do you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying soon and I'm really scared! I hope I get in!

Same! No follow-up yet.

Past student stated they didn't really use it. I might not buy it unless I needed it. I don't well passive reading.

Did anyone say which book it is exactly? And is there just one for the entire program?

You'll be in class from 8-12 most of the time with an occasional 8-5 (just a handful per month, never more than one a week). Classes are always back to back except for an hour lunch break on those 8-5 days. You'll have class 3-5 days a week depending on the exam schedule.

I am looking for the textbook list for this program. Was there a list of required/suggested textbooks for your class?

So, I couldn't put my deposit via the BC website cause I don't think it's up and running yet. So I just called the number on the acceptance check list and made a payment by credit card. Hopefully that will save you guys some time from scavenging that website.

Btw, it also cost $68.50 for background check. Just in case you guys are scrambling for money like I am :dead:

For those of you that got waitlisted or are still awaiting a decision, do you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying soon and I'm really scared! I hope I get in!

I think you should get that app in ASAP. Cause I'm starting to think that the people who didn't make the cut for their regular admission are being suggested / transferring their app to the MABS program. Not trying to scare you but I would totally get it in to maximize your chances.

Btw, it also cost $68.50 for background check. Just in case you guys are scrambling for money like I am :dead:

Would you mind sharing the phone number on the acceptance letter? I am at work and want to make the deposit during my lunch break lol. Please and thank you

Would you mind sharing the phone number on the acceptance letter? I am at work and want to make the deposit during my lunch break lol. Please and thank you

Of course! 1(276) - 326-4215

Thank you!

Don’t forget, I don’t know how strict they are with the background check but the paperwork said that u have to submit tour background check the day of the deposit. The website can be found on the bluefield MABS website. There’s a direct link to it.

Don’t forget, I don’t know how strict they are with the background check but the paperwork said that u have to submit tour background check the day of the deposit. The website can be found on the bluefield MABS website. There’s a direct link to it.
Thanks for the heads up. I called to pay the deposit and asked about the background check. They said it does not need to be sent immediately but must be done before matriculation. Thanks again for providing me with the phone number:D

Seat deposit has been paid! Its feeling realer then ever now! Shouts out to PTPuser for that number haha

Reactions: 2 users
Those waiting -- do you mind sharing your stats?
Hey Guys,
I was put in the final review stages March 6th with the 2 weeks notification mark. Hopefully, I will be notified soon with an update of my status. Wish me luck, I should find out something this week!

cGPA-3.85
sGPA-3.7
MCAT-487
First generation college student
Minority student
Major in Biology and Minor in Chemistry
Nonprofit leader for (2+ yrs), Volunteer hrs-1500 total
Clinical Experience for 3 years
Proscribe (6 months)
Shadowed Physician- 2 years

Hey Guys,
I was put in the final review stages March 6th with the 2 weeks notification mark. Hopefully, I will be notified soon with an update of my status. Wish me luck, I should find out something this week!

cGPA-3.85
sGPA-3.7
MCAT-487
Minority student
Proscribe (6 months)

good luck, been in final review since January 21st still haven’t heard a thing

Hey Guys,

cGPA-3.85
sGPA-3.7
MCAT-487
Minority student
Proscribe (6 months)

Will you be planning on re-taking that MCAT?

Reminder that there is a Facebook page for those accepted. Re-posting it because it was mentioned a few pages back...

2019-2020 Bluefield/VCOM MABS Program

Received my login info and financial aid information today! Going to look at an apartment this weekend, so excited to meet everyone! Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Received my login info and financial aid information today! Going to look at an apartment this weekend, so excited to meet everyone! Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Financial aid info? May I ask the details? I haven’t gotten any financial aid info at all.

Financial aid info? May I ask the details? I haven’t gotten any financial aid info at all.

I sent in my FAFSA last month as soon as my taxes were complete, but talking to my financial aid adviser at Bluefield, she said that most if not all the grad students in the program are eligible for up to $20,500 for the entire program, the rest can be paid out of pocket or you can apply for a GRAD PLUS Loan. When I did my FAFSA I made sure that all my info went to Bluefield.

I sent in my FAFSA last month as soon as my taxes were complete, but talking to my financial aid adviser at Bluefield, she said that most if not all the grad students in the program are eligible for up to $20,500 for the entire program, the rest can be paid out of pocket or you can apply for a GRAD PLUS Loan. When I did my FAFSA I made sure that all my info went to Bluefield.
I was expecting to get nothing. I've never received any financial aid ever in undergrad. If this is true for me then I would be very happy.

I was expecting to get nothing. I've never received any financial aid ever in undergrad. If this is true for me then I would be very happy.

Well, the $20,500 is not a scholarship. It is still a loan but with a lower interest rate compared to GRAD plus/other loan options.

Hey Guys!
I just got accepted today! Just wanted to let those who are waiting know that it is possible. I got a 487 on the MCAT and I am retaking it in June. I have a very high GPA at 3.85. I am sooo excited to meet you all.

Reactions: 2 users
Feeling quite discouraged given that my application has been “in final review” since January 21st and haven’t received any status update since then. Reached out by email without response yet. Accepted a seat in a different program at this point but would like some answers. May try another method to contact someone in admissions

Hey Guys!
I just got accepted today! Just wanted to let those who are waiting know that it is possible. I got a 487 on the MCAT and I am retaking it in June. I have a very high GPA at 3.85. I am sooo excited to meet you all.
Congratulations! If you’re on Facebook, make sure to request to join the group!

Feeling quite discouraged given that my application has been “in final review” since January 21st and haven’t received any status update since then. Reached out by email without response yet. Accepted a seat in a different program at this point but would like some answers. May try another method to contact someone in admissions
Maybe call. Hopefully they can help!

Well, the $20,500 is not a scholarship. It is still a loan but with a lower interest rate compared to GRAD plus/other loan options.
avatar3619 is right, sorry I didn't clarify but they are all federal loans, the financial aid adviser said graduate students don't get grants and when I asked about scholarships she encouraged me to apply but admitted she has never had a student come into the program with any scholarships as of yet. I've been applying anyways but haven't heard any good news on scholarships.

Has anyone been able find any decent apartments in the area near Bluefield? I've looked everywhere and they are all mostly sold out of bedrooms.

Yes, classes will be held in Blacksburg. The place is not the VCOM campus itself, although you will have access to the VCOM library if needed. The building where your classes will be held is called Rackspace and the address is 1691 Innovation Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060 (unless they decide to change it for next year which I highly doubt). The closest place to rent is Knollwood Apartments (they have plenty of options but tend to fill up very fast), but there are many other options within 15-20 min driving distance max. If you want a list of apartment complexes, let me know and I can send a short list via PM.

As for the deposit information, it takes a while to come with the acceptance information via mail, but the deposit we had to pay was $500.
could you send me a lists of apartments?