Aug 6, 2018
Reminder that there is a Facebook page for those accepted. Re-posting it because it was mentioned a few pages back...

2019-2020 Bluefield/VCOM MABS Program

Aug 11, 2018
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Received my login info and financial aid information today! Going to look at an apartment this weekend, so excited to meet everyone! Good luck to those who are still waiting!
Financial aid info? May I ask the details? I haven’t gotten any financial aid info at all.

Mar 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Financial aid info? May I ask the details? I haven’t gotten any financial aid info at all.
I sent in my FAFSA last month as soon as my taxes were complete, but talking to my financial aid adviser at Bluefield, she said that most if not all the grad students in the program are eligible for up to $20,500 for the entire program, the rest can be paid out of pocket or you can apply for a GRAD PLUS Loan. When I did my FAFSA I made sure that all my info went to Bluefield.

Reactions: PTPuser
Feb 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I sent in my FAFSA last month as soon as my taxes were complete, but talking to my financial aid adviser at Bluefield, she said that most if not all the grad students in the program are eligible for up to $20,500 for the entire program, the rest can be paid out of pocket or you can apply for a GRAD PLUS Loan. When I did my FAFSA I made sure that all my info went to Bluefield.
I was expecting to get nothing. I've never received any financial aid ever in undergrad. If this is true for me then I would be very happy.

Apr 24, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I was expecting to get nothing. I've never received any financial aid ever in undergrad. If this is true for me then I would be very happy.
Well, the $20,500 is not a scholarship. It is still a loan but with a lower interest rate compared to GRAD plus/other loan options.

Reactions: phoenixDO
May 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Feeling quite discouraged given that my application has been “in final review” since January 21st and haven’t received any status update since then. Reached out by email without response yet. Accepted a seat in a different program at this point but would like some answers. May try another method to contact someone in admissions

Aug 6, 2018
Hey Guys!
I just got accepted today! Just wanted to let those who are waiting know that it is possible. I got a 487 on the MCAT and I am retaking it in June. I have a very high GPA at 3.85. I am sooo excited to meet you all.
Congratulations! If you’re on Facebook, make sure to request to join the group!

Aug 6, 2018
Feeling quite discouraged given that my application has been “in final review” since January 21st and haven’t received any status update since then. Reached out by email without response yet. Accepted a seat in a different program at this point but would like some answers. May try another method to contact someone in admissions
Maybe call. Hopefully they can help!

Mar 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, the $20,500 is not a scholarship. It is still a loan but with a lower interest rate compared to GRAD plus/other loan options.
avatar3619 is right, sorry I didn't clarify but they are all federal loans, the financial aid adviser said graduate students don't get grants and when I asked about scholarships she encouraged me to apply but admitted she has never had a student come into the program with any scholarships as of yet. I've been applying anyways but haven't heard any good news on scholarships.

Reactions: AdubAZ
Mar 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone been able find any decent apartments in the area near Bluefield? I've looked everywhere and they are all mostly sold out of bedrooms.

Mar 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, classes will be held in Blacksburg. The place is not the VCOM campus itself, although you will have access to the VCOM library if needed. The building where your classes will be held is called Rackspace and the address is 1691 Innovation Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060 (unless they decide to change it for next year which I highly doubt). The closest place to rent is Knollwood Apartments (they have plenty of options but tend to fill up very fast), but there are many other options within 15-20 min driving distance max. If you want a list of apartment complexes, let me know and I can send a short list via PM.

As for the deposit information, it takes a while to come with the acceptance information via mail, but the deposit we had to pay was $500.
could you send me a lists of apartments?

Feb 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
avatar3619 is right, sorry I didn't clarify but they are all federal loans, the financial aid adviser said graduate students don't get grants and when I asked about scholarships she encouraged me to apply but admitted she has never had a student come into the program with any scholarships as of yet. I've been applying anyways but haven't heard any good news on scholarships.
It's all good! I kind of knew it was too good to be true.

Aug 11, 2018
Status
I found an apartment 5 mins away from school via Craigslist. Most of them via agency require you to view them but a lot of the ones on CL doesn't.

Jun 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

I am in the same boat as you. Final review since 3/4 and it looks like people who were in final review after me have gotten their acceptance. Starting to get really anxious now. The waiting process is definitely the worst!

Aug 11, 2018
Status
@Raindrop Cake Hi! can you give us a little info as to how the classes are like? I'm especially worried about biochem and anatomy for the first semester lol. Thanks :)

Reactions: LApremed
Aug 11, 2018
Status
I am in the same boat as you. Final review since 3/4 and it looks like people who were in final review after me have gotten their acceptance. Starting to get really anxious now. The waiting process is definitely the worst!
Don't loose hope! I believe one user 2 years ago didn't heart back till like June.

Jun 5, 2018
Status
@Raindrop Cake Hi! can you give us a little info as to how the classes are like? I'm especially worried about biochem and anatomy for the first semester lol. Thanks :)
Yes of course!

Generally classes are PowerPoint-based unless we're doing a project or have a guest speaker. PowerPoints are always posted online beforehand, so you can predownload them and type/write notes on them during class if you find that helpful. Most of us take notes on our laptops, but I think a few also print out each lecture and take notes by hand.

A lot of lectures are recycled directly from the med program, but our professors are usually good about pointing out what material to memorize or focus on for exams (which is good because sometimes the PowerPoints are so wordy they look like entire textbook chapters). Professors encourage questions and always seem happy to stop and answer them at any point.

I'd say anatomy was the toughest course for a lot of us last semester just because of the amount of content professors had to cover, but it's definitely doable -- just take your time with studying and give yourself plenty of time to prepare for exams. It's one of the classes where you should definitely pay attention to what the professors identify as important so that you know exactly where to focus your studying. We had four or so professors throughout the semester, so for different topics you'll have a different person teaching you.

Biochem is a lot more clinically based than in undergrad, so it'll be different from anything you took in college. I felt it focused more on concepts relevant to medicine and less on pointless memorization... for example, learning about the molecular pathway associated with a particular disease rather than memorizing the structure of the third molecule in the Krebs cycle or something. Our main biochem professor was an incredibly caring person and always gave us study guides and answered emails quickly outside of class.

Aug 11, 2018
Status
Yes of course!

Generally classes are PowerPoint-based unless we're doing a project or have a guest speaker. PowerPoints are always posted online beforehand, so you can predownload them and type/write notes on them during class if you find that helpful. Most of us take notes on our laptops, but I think a few also print out each lecture and take notes by hand.

A lot of lectures are recycled directly from the med program, but our professors are usually good about pointing out what material to memorize or focus on for exams (which is good because sometimes the PowerPoints are so wordy they look like entire textbook chapters). Professors encourage questions and always seem happy to stop and answer them at any point.

I'd say anatomy was the toughest course for a lot of us last semester just because of the amount of content professors had to cover, but it's definitely doable -- just take your time with studying and give yourself plenty of time to prepare for exams. It's one of the classes where you should definitely pay attention to what the professors identify as important so that you know exactly where to focus your studying. We had four or so professors throughout the semester, so for different topics you'll have a different person teaching you.

Biochem is a lot more clinically based than in undergrad, so it'll be different from anything you took in college. I felt it focused more on concepts relevant to medicine and less on pointless memorization... for example, learning about the molecular pathway associated with a particular disease rather than memorizing the structure of the third molecule in the Krebs cycle or something. Our main biochem professor was an incredibly caring person and always gave us study guides and answered emails quickly outside of class.
Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it. I’m almost debating about pre studying for anatomy and overlook certain things for biochem to brush up cause those two topics can be intense and I feel like I’m one of those people that needs a little more TLC cause I’ve been out of school for a while.

Aug 6, 2018
For those who have paid the deposit, did you get an email verification of payment? I just paid mine this morning. Thanks.

May 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe call. Hopefully they can help!
I did reach out, and they said that the application is still in review by the final admissions committee. Even though that’s what the email said with a two week deadline back in January. I’ve already accepted a seat in another program closer to home and also still waiting to hear back from another medical school that I interviewed at so good luck to everyone waiting !

Aug 6, 2018
I did reach out, and they said that the application is still in review by the final admissions committee. Even though that’s what the email said with a two week deadline back in January. I’ve already accepted a seat in another program closer to home and also still waiting to hear back from another medical school that I interviewed at so good luck to everyone waiting !
I'm glad you were able to get accepted in a program closer to your house. Congrats on that. Best of luck with your other endeavors! :)

Reactions: DOTOBE2022
May 15, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Any recent updates here? I’ve been on final review quite some time but really hoping for this program

May 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Any recent updates here? I’ve been on final review quite some time but really hoping for this program
I was in final review for about 3 months, got accepted today but I don’t think I will be accepting the offer

Sep 8, 2018
I want to say good luck to everyone still is waiting to hear an answer! I have been lurking and watching the posts as I anxiously await my final review and decision.

Apr 24, 2018
Status
Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it. I’m almost debating about pre studying for anatomy and overlook certain things for biochem to brush up cause those two topics can be intense and I feel like I’m one of those people that needs a little more TLC cause I’ve been out of school for a while.
You can study before coming into this program if you really want to, but I would honestly just enjoy the time off while you can. You will be studying daily once the program starts anyways. Plus, you may end up studying material that you won't need to know for these courses. Just my two cents...but ultimately you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

May 15, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
How long after the acceptance email did it take everyone to get the information from bluefield on confirming your seat? It’s been a few days and I still haven’t received anything

Aug 6, 2018
How long after the acceptance email did it take everyone to get the information from bluefield on confirming your seat? It’s been a few days and I still haven’t received anything
I got accepted February 14 and my letter did not arrive until March 19, so it can take a month or so.

Oct 9, 2017
My landlord just dropped off my lease renewal that needs to be turned in by the end of April. I’m still waiting for a response from the school. Anxiety is building. Eek!

Aug 11, 2018
Status
Ok, so I'm a ******* and some how completely missed place the pre-matriculation check list / requirements. If someone could kindly please list them and the required date that would be awesome :) please thank you!

Oct 20, 2018
Hey ya’ll, those who have already gone through the program, based on your experience, which lap top would you guys recommend we new starters purchase?

Apr 24, 2018
Status

Honestly, the requirements listed on there are good guidelines. It doesn't HAVE to be less than 3 years old as stated on the website as I know plenty of fellow classmates who use older models (especially Mac users).

The main reason they have requirements is to ensure that your computer can run the exam software they use since all of the testing is done on your laptop. You can look around on the ExamSoft (Examplify) website to see if your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the software. Other than that, you don't need anything fancy, although a fair portion of the class has laptops with the Windows Ink feature or they utilize Ipads with pens to write notes on the slides during class. You can also just stick to the classic way of typing notes in the notes section of the power point or printing off slides and handwriting notes.

Also, as a side note, don't worry about purchasing Word, PowerPoint etc as it comes included in your tuition fee through Bluefield.

Aug 11, 2018
Status

Honestly, the requirements listed on there are good guidelines. It doesn't HAVE to be less than 3 years old as stated on the website as I know plenty of fellow classmates who use older models (especially Mac users).

The main reason they have requirements is to ensure that your computer can run the exam software they use since all of the testing is done on your laptop. You can look around on the ExamSoft (Examplify) website to see if your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the software. Other than that, you don't need anything fancy, although a fair portion of the class has laptops with the Windows Ink feature or they utilize Ipads with pens to write notes on the slides during class. You can also just stick to the classic way of typing notes in the notes section of the power point or printing off slides and handwriting notes.

Also, as a side note, don't worry about purchasing Word, PowerPoint etc as it comes included in your tuition fee through Bluefield.

grrrrr I just bought office for my windows cause I was worried about my 7 years old mac giving me issues.

Apr 24, 2018
Status
grrrrr I just bought office for my windows cause I was worried about my 7 years old mac giving me issues.
Well, I am not sure if the Bluefield access gets revoked after the academic year is over sooooo it won't hurt to have it as a backup for the future :p

Aug 7, 2018
For people that have been accepted already, I have already paid the deposit and done the background check paperwork and I still have not heard anything. Has anyone received any information about when classes start, next steps, or just a confirmation email?

Aug 6, 2018
For people that have been accepted already, I have already paid the deposit and done the background check paperwork and I still have not heard anything. Has anyone received any information about when classes start, next steps, or just a confirmation email?
I’ve done the same and have heard nothing. All I know is that classes start July 22. I’m sure more info will be sent out within the next month or so...

May 15, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Recently received my log in info but there’s nothing on there yet. Hoping we get some info on everything soon!

Reactions: LApremed
Oct 9, 2017
Just received a notice that my application has entered the review stage. They estimate to have a decision in two weeks. ZOMG so nervous. I really think this program could be beneficial for me, even without the linkage.

The cycle is dark and full of terrors.

Reactions: SilentDancer
Aug 6, 2018
Just received a notice that my application has entered the review stage. They estimate to have a decision in two weeks. ZOMG so nervous. I really think this program could be beneficial for me, even without the linkage.

The cycle is dark and full of terrors.
Good luck! Don’t rely on the 2 weeks too much... it took mine almost 4. I was stressed out those weeks lol.

Apr 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I just got notice that I have been waitlisted. I've been in final review since 4/8 for those curious. Does anyone have information on waitlist mobility or if there's anything I can do? I was really hoping to attend this program :(

• Sad
Reactions: PTPuser
Feb 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I just got notice that I have been waitlisted. I've been in final review since 4/8 for those curious. Does anyone have information on waitlist mobility or if there's anything I can do? I was really hoping to attend this program :(
Well I was recently accepted but I am attending another program closer to home, so I hope you get my seat!

Mar 13, 2019
Hi, I am new to this thread but was recently also accepted into the program for this August. Could someone please attach the facebook group link? I’m having trouble finding it.

Thanks! And look forward to meeting you all.

Aug 6, 2018
It
Hi, I am new to this thread but was recently also accepted into the program for this August. Could someone please attach the facebook group link? I’m having trouble finding it.

Thanks! And look forward to meeting you all.
it’s called “2019-2020 Bluefield/VCOM MABS Program”