Navy 2019 4-Year HPSP Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, has anyone on the alternate list heard from your recruiter about your place on the list? Is this information out yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Heard from recruiter, made to the alternate list, they have 20 scholarships so the first 20 will get them. One person turned it down so number 21 gets it. I am number 26 so I need 5 more to drop for the scholarship.
I am told I need 2 people to drop to receive the HSCP, though.
With FY starting in October, they are waiting for the alternates to respond.

What I don't understand is if there's still a chance to get offered a 3 yr one for next FY.

I have heard conflicting information about alternates being accepted eventually.

Heard from my recruiter, got the scholarship! Anyone else still kind of in the dark about what happens next? I've been through 3 recruiters during my application so I haven't had much information

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Now you have to get commissioned and sign like 40 forms

Reactions: 1 users
Heard from my recruiter, got the scholarship! Anyone else still kind of in the dark about what happens next? I've been through 3 recruiters during my application so I haven't had much information
what branch did you apply to and when did you apply? Any idea how many scholarships are left?

didnt you only apply to the army?

Does anyone else not know their ranking?
My recruiter said he doesnt have that information but i see that even no.26 got notified..

Does anyone else not know their ranking?
My recruiter said he doesnt have that information but i see that even no.26 got notified..
When did you apply? and to which branch ?

also an alternate. anyone got more information about being on the alternate? i dont know what to be expecting

I still haven't heard from my recruiter. Does that mean my chances are basically over if my recruiter have not contact me?

Recruiters make this whole situation so frustrating. Had to send someone else an email, so that they would find out, they gave me the information, but information isn't very clear. Leaves so many unanswered questions.
School starts on less than a month.

Does anyone know how to get reimbursed for textbooks etc..(Army HPSP) I checked MODS, but don't really understand the process...

Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates from the Navy about the status of our application?
I think the Navy is having their next board in october... Do people on OML get rollover to the next year?

Does anyone know how to get reimbursed for textbooks etc..(Army HPSP) I checked MODS, but don't really understand the process...
You do. I got sent a whole list of what gets reimbursed but I cant find it.

I was accepted for the HPSP and was told that my commissioning would be in October (this month). Anyone know how that's supposed to work and when it will occur? School took back the loan money once I was accepted and I am chipping away at savings, so I am close to needing my stipend :( Also, a friend told me there is a sign on bonus, but I haven't been told one way or another by a superior. Can anyone shed some light on that? Thanks!

I was accepted for the HPSP and was told that my commissioning would be in October (this month). Anyone know how that's supposed to work and when it will occur? School took back the loan money once I was accepted and I am chipping away at savings, so I am close to needing my stipend :( Also, a friend told me there is a sign on bonus, but I haven't been told one way or another by a superior. Can anyone shed some light on that? Thanks!

They will have you come in to sign commissioning papers if your still in the same state as your recruiter or if you're out of state they will send you the paperwork. It is there that you can choose to accept your bonus. Once those papers are processed you will receive your stipend and bonus.

When were you awarded the scholarship? I'm still waitlisted for the 4-year...

Anyone that was waitlisted hear anything? I was told October, but still nothing

Hey everyone. Interested in the HSCP and trying to find information on applying and the process. Any guidance or information would be appreciated.

You'll need to get into contact with a Navy medical recruiter by going to the Navy website and locating one close to you. You will want to choose a station that services officers, and then call that office and ask for contact information for the nearest medical recruiting station (as I don't think that sort of info is readily available online).

The process consists of a lot of paperwork, two interviews, MEPS, and eventually taking your oath of office. After which you would technically be considered an E6 for the duration of dental school. While in school you will be payed full active duty pay to include BAH and BAS. You will also be required to PRT every 6 months. After graduation you would be promoted to LT and considered to have 4 yrs of time in service.

IMO the HCSP is not nearly as good of a deal as the HPSP unless you can pay your tuition, books and all living expenses on a salary of $~48k before taxes.

You'll need to get into contact with a Navy medical recruiter by going to the Navy website and locating one close to you. You will want to choose a station that services officers, and then call that office and ask for contact information for the nearest medical recruiting station (as I don't think that sort of info is readily available online).

The process consists of a lot of paperwork, two interviews, MEPS, and eventually taking your oath of office. After which you would technically be considered an E6 for the duration of dental school. While in school you will be payed full active duty pay to include BAH and BAS. You will also be required to PRT every 6 months. After graduation you would be promoted to LT and considered to have 4 yrs of time in service.

IMO the HCSP is not nearly as good of a deal as the HPSP unless you can pay your tuition, books and all living expenses on a salary of $~48k before taxes.

I agree with you except that your salary is dependent highly on your school zip code. Where I go to school my pre-tax income is 58k a year and after tax they come out to around 50k a year.

I would say BAH of $2,000 would put you in one of the more expensive zip codes. I was ball parking the salary using a BAH OF $1500. Obviously dependents and zip code are going to give some variation.

I agree with you except that your salary is dependent highly on your school zip code. Where I go to school my pre-tax income is 58k a year and after tax they come out to around 50k a year.[/QUO
A couple of weeks ago I recieved the HSCP for Dental school. This was my second choice but my recruitment process did not go as expected. I am still pleased to recieve this scholarship and I am excited for the future of my dental career. If you can give me any feedback that would be great, especially regarding your experience. Good luck to everyone during finals.

congratulations on receiving the HSCP! So far it's been great for me. The physical test has been pretty easy to do and the money is enough to cover about 95% of my tuition+fees+dorm each year.

Hey guys, so I've been in the mix for the HPSP Navy scholarship for several months now. I just recently got all of my medical history straightened out and will soon be heading to MEPS. I was wondering if you guys could give me more information on why you chose HPSP. Obviously it's a great deal coming out of school debt free, serving your country, and getting extra practice / skills while getting a good, competitive salary. You also have the comradery with your fellow soldiers. What else influenced your decisions? For me, I've had family members that have went in and loved the comradery and the lifestyle. Are there other great things that I've yet to learn about?
Just noticed this was for class of 2019. My bad! If you still know or want to contribute, please do!

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I've been in the mix for the HPSP Navy scholarship for several months now. I just recently got all of my medical history straightened out and will soon be heading to MEPS. I was wonder if you guys could give me more information on why you chose HPSP. Obviously it's a great deal coming out of school debt free, serving your country, and getting extra practice / skills while getting a good, competitive salary. You also have the comradery with your fellow soldiers. What else influenced your decisions? For me, I've had family members that have went in and loved the comradery and the lifestyle. Are there other great things that I've yet to learn about?
Just noticed this was for class of 2019. My bad! If you still know or want to contribute, please do!

For me the number one reason was money and guaranteed job straight out of school. I also don't like the idea of having debt in my back for the next 10-15 yrs. That said I am also open to what the military has to offer in terms of the opportunity to travel(I love to travel to new places!). I heard their residency program is second to none and what better way can you polish your skills whip getting paid decent salary AND get to see the world! Yes I know that you can be deployed to not so nice places but to me that is irrelevant for my overall 30+ years career in dentistry ahead.. At the end I feel that the pros still outweigh the cons(at least for me)

Also I want to add one more thing. You'll also be less stressed in dental school both financially and academically)

Hey guys, so I've been in the mix for the HPSP Navy scholarship for several months now. I just recently got all of my medical history straightened out and will soon be heading to MEPS. I was wonder if you guys could give me more information on why you chose HPSP. Obviously it's a great deal coming out of school debt free, serving your country, and getting extra practice / skills while getting a good, competitive salary. You also have the comradery with your fellow soldiers. What else influenced your decisions? For me, I've had family members that have went in and loved the comradery and the lifestyle. Are there other great things that I've yet to learn about?

I'm applying next year, but a big reason I want to do the HPSP is that I think I would enjoy being a military dentist more than a civilian dentist. I've spoken with over 15 military dentists from all three branches, many of whom have deployed in the recent wars or who have been stationed overseas, and I believe that I would be more satisfied and productive treating our service-members and providing them with whatever healthcare they need (without cost regard) than treating the civilian population (and having to sell the treatment to them). To me, this professional satisfaction makes the lower income, the frequent relocation, and the possibly uncomfortable conditions in deployment worth it.

Hello everybody - looking for some help:

I have had a hard time getting a straight answer on this question, so I'm hoping that I can get real-world answers from people who actually have the HPSP and who have tried to borrow.

My scenario: I'm considering HPSP but my expenses are more than the ~$2,100 per month from the stipend/ADT pay.

My question: are there any options to borrow while you're on the HPSP (I mean any - like even private education loans)? I realize that schools consider you "fully funded" if you are getting the stipend and all of the schooling paid for, but what about someone like me whose expenses are more than the stipend? I don't much care if the loans are federal or private, I just want to know if there's anything I can do (aside from working while in dental school) to bridge the gap? I know private loan companies would be happy to give me the money, but the issue would be if the school would certify it...

HPSP recipients, please help, I beg of you!

I have had a hard time getting a straight answer on this question, so I'm hoping that I can get real-world answers from people who actually have the HPSP and who have tried to borrow.

My scenario: I'm considering HPSP but my expenses are more than the ~$2,100 per month from the stipend/ADT pay.

My question: are there any options to borrow while you're on the HPSP (I mean any - like even private education loans)? I realize that schools consider you "fully funded" if you are getting the stipend and all of the schooling paid for, but what about someone like me whose expenses are more than the stipend? I don't much care if the loans are federal or private, I just want to know if there's anything I can do (aside from working while in dental school) to bridge the gap? I know private loan companies would be happy to give me the money, but the issue would be if the school would certify it...

Why couldnt you take out a federal loan like the rest of the American Students? Worst case, you can always apply for a bank loan. They dont care what your status is as long as you are in school. Your school's financial aid department will hook you up. Go see them.

You should be able to take out loans for living expenses just as anyone else in your class would be able to. You are allowed up to about $20k on average for living expenses. You don't have to take all of it either.

Why couldnt you take out a federal loan like the rest of the American Students? Worst case, you can always apply for a bank loan. They dont care what your status is as long as you are in school. Your school's financial aid department will hook you up. Go see them.

You should be able to take out loans for living expenses just as anyone else in your class would be able to. You are allowed up to about $20k on average for living expenses. You don't have to take all of it either.

So... I've spoken with several financial aid departments and they've told me the same thing: if the school's cost of attendance (COA) is, let's say, $100k, and they estimate $80k of that to be tuition, books, fees, etc., and the other $20k is estimated to be living expenses, travel budget, etc., since the HPSP stipend + ADT is MORE than what they estimate it should cost you to live (stipend + ADT = ~$27-28K pre-tax vs their estimated cost of living = $20k), then you are not eligible for loans. They said that the Department of Education says you are not allowed to receive ANY aid in excess of the school's Cost of Attendance, and since they consider the military paying for the education as "Aid", and the stipend = "Aid", then borrowing anything in excess of those is unacceptable.

However, if you do to school in a very expensive area (say, San Francisco), and the school estimates the Cost of Attendance to be, let's say, $30k, then you'd be able to borrow the difference between whatever the stipend + ADT adds up to (~$27-$28k) and their projected living expense of $30k. In that case, you could borrow no more than that ~$2-$3k per year.

There are three exceptions that would allow you to deviate from these rules, per the financial aid offices I spoke with. The school WILL review your situation and potentially allow you to borrow more money in excess of the COA ONLY if you have:
1) Childcare expenses (child support does not count)
2) Unexpected auto repair costs
3) Burdensome medical bills

Of note: SOME schools will incorrectly interpret the stipend as "Income", in which case they do not consider the stipend as "Aid" and the student is able to then take out loans to to bridge the gap for living expenses. This is not often the case, and is technically an inefficiency and loophole.

This is what I've found from speaking with three financial aid offices from different regions of the country, sprinkled with some SDN thread knowledge. I wish it was not so.

Currently in Navy HSCP program. A little different than HPSP but I have decent knowledge on both subjects.

Will be happy to answer any questions you folks have..

Hi, i know your post is a while ago but i was wondering if you can answer some questions for me.

Why did you chose the HSCP Program rather than the HPSP one? What was better? I am in the middle of deciding and it is difficult for me..
Also, I have a 25k/year tuition scholarship from the school do you think i can still keep this scholarship with the HSCP if i choose HSCP? The funds for HSCP does not cover tuition and is paid directly to student, correct?

Hi, i know your post is a while ago but i was wondering if you can answer some questions for me.

Why did you chose the HSCP Program rather than the HPSP one? What was better? I am in the middle of deciding and it is difficult for me..
Also, I have a 25k/year tuition scholarship from the school do you think i can still keep this scholarship with the HSCP if i choose HSCP? The funds for HSCP does not cover tuition and is paid directly to student, correct?

I picked hpsp but I was way down on the waitlist and was offered hscp. Yes you can definitely still keep the scholarship if you are on hscp because you are paid once every two weeks directly to your bank account. In your case I think it is worth it. Also you’ll be making at least $100k once you graduate because your time of service counts while in school.