Navy 2019 4-Year HPSP Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who boarded March 6th, any status updates from your recruiters?
nothing on my end. i'm religiously checking my email and phone

Members don't see this ad.

Got put on the Alternate list. Anyone know if getting off the alternate list is a thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dunno, turned in everything by Jan. Didnt hear back from my recruiter until last week.

I am also an alternate... I heard that all the alternates eventually get it usually, but usually a 3 year one or something though. But I am definitely taking that with a grain of salt.

Dunno, turned in everything by Jan. Didnt hear back from my recruiter until last week.

Dentaldoge, would you mind sharing your stats please? I'm not applying this year but I would love to get an idea of what range merits a wait list/acceptance. Thank you!

3.6, 23AA

I dont think the stats has anything to do with my situation. Just bad luck and bad timing. Out of my control.

Good luck! I hope you get the scholarship.

Last edited:
On the contrary...if how my kit was handled is any indication of how my time in the military is going to be. I probably wont take the scholarship if I am offered it.

On the contrary...if how my kit was handled is any indication of how my time in the military is going to be. I probably wont take the scholarship if I am offered it.
That is how I feel about it as well. My application was submitted much later than anticipated and it was out of my control... The experience was so frustrating and I can't imagine what my actual career in the military would be like now after this experience.

You'd actually give up a half-million dollar scholarship?

Last edited:
You'd actually give up a half-million dollar scholarship just because some administrative people acted sloppily in handling your app? I mean I understand you're disappointed, but isn't this taking it too far?

Might be a half-million dollar scholarship in your case as the COA will increase a good bit by the time you apply, but not mine. Im going to a state school.

Will probably easily run 200k or less after 4 years. Not worth potentially 4 years of debt-free frustration. The military route may also not be in my best post-graduation interest of residencies and opening a clinic.

If I was going to MWU or some other expensive private school, I'd be singing a different tune.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also on the alternate list.... -sigh- going to a state school also but still, being the stingy asian that I am, I like anything free, especially free education!

I'm also on the alternate list.... -sigh- going to a state school also but still, being the stingy asian that I am, I like anything free, especially free education!

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Haha when did you board?

Haha when did you board?

I completed all my paperwork + MEPS and all mailed out by Jan 22. And they said I'd board the Feb board and that there's no March board. After a while, my recruiter told me that a someone who handled the processing of the paperwork for the boarding process was taking a break and just came back (that was like back in March) and that the person is working on processing the Jan and Feb board all together. After that I heard that I will most probably be not get the scholarship right away and had to wait to get into alternate list, get re-ranked, and if I make the rank, I'd get the scholarship from the new budget.

Sorry for the rant but my point is, I now realize how valuable my patience at times like this lol...

I completed all my paperwork + MEPS and all mailed out by Jan 22. And they said I'd board the Feb board and that there's no March board. After a while, my recruiter told me that a someone who handled the processing of the paperwork for the boarding process was taking a break and just came back (that was like back in March) and that the person is working on processing the Jan and Feb board all together. After that I heard that I will most probably be not get the scholarship right away and had to wait to get into alternate list, get re-ranked, and if I make the rank, I'd get the scholarship from the new budget.

Sorry for the rant but my point is, I now realize how valuable my patience at times like this lol...

Sounds like it's getting so competitive that it's Jan. Board or bust...hmm...I'll keep this in mind when I apply...thanks for sharing your story.

I am on the alternate too. Since you go to a state school, have you considered to the collegiate program? As far as I know, my recruiter seems to suggest that there is still room for it. If your recruiter havent talked to you about it, you should look into it. If the cost of your state school is about 240 or less, it's a really good deal.

And has anyone's recruiter tell them IF and when they will hear back about their ranking? I feel like that type of information isn't readily available.

I am on the alternate too. Since you go to a state school, have you considered to the collegiate program? As far as I know, my recruiter seems to suggest that there is still room for it. If your recruiter havent talked to you about it, you should look into it. If the cost of your state school is about 240 or less, it's a really good deal.

And has anyone's recruiter tell them IF and when they will hear back about their ranking? I feel like that type of information isn't readily available.
My recruiter said there is a ranking system but they aren't told of each applicant's ranking.

Did you hear from your recruiter? Last year somone got accpeted late April for the 4 year HPSP, there is still hope!
Nothing but crickets over here haha. I'm hanging on to the very little hope I have!

I would hope our recruiters would let us know if we did not recieve a scholarship! I will be in contact with mine by the end of the month if I do not hear from him first.

Last edited:

Is the HSCP the 3 year one? My recruiter basically told me that the 3 year ones are too few compared to the 4 year ones so my chances for it will be very slim (I mean I'm on the alternate list, I'd grab at anything slim or fat). But yea I'll wait patiently and see if anything else happens.

Is the HSCP the 3 year one? My recruiter basically told me that the 3 year ones are too few compared to the 4 year ones so my chances for it will be very slim (I mean I'm on the alternate list, I'd grab at anything slim or fat). But yea I'll wait patiently and see if anything else happens.
No, HSCP is a 4 yr program that pays you a military grade salary as an E6 instead of paying for your tuition/fee. If your cost is around 200k~240k, it is worth as much as HPSP for those 4 years alone. But the benefit of HSCP is that they count your school years as service years ( dont count towards repayment ofc). The implication is that you will earn a higher military salary while serving (it increases every two years you serve), and that it HSCP year can count towards military retirement whereas HPSP cannot it.

Nothing but crickets over here haha. I'm hanging on to the very little hope I have!
Recruiter emailed yesterday I am currently on the alternate list. Last year many people got selected off the alternate list but I believe you lose the signing bonus. I will keep my fingers crossed!

I think you should still get your signing bonus, unless you have a concrete source for that information.

I think you should still get your signing bonus, unless you have a concrete source for that information.
That would be great! I hope everything works out, congratulations on your scholarship!

That would be great! I hope everything works out, congratulations on your scholarship!
I still haven't heard anything yet. But I'm pretty sure you don't get the bonus if you get selected off the alternate for a 3 year. If you take it it's a 4 year pay back

Oh, I thought you were talking about an alternate list for the 4 year. Yeah, you're correct. If you only commit for 3 yrs then you do not get the signing bonus.

I'm sorry I meant if you don't get selected for the 4 year alternate and it goes to a 3 year. You would get the bonus for a 4 but not the 3 haha. I made that way more confusing that I needed to

I'm sorry I meant if you don't get selected for the 4 year alternate and it goes to a 3 year. You would get the bonus for a 4 but not the 3 haha. I made that way more confusing that I needed to
I believe if you get selected this year it is for a 4 year.

I believe if you get selected this year it is for a 4 year.

Now seriously what?

If you apply for a 4 year then you'll get a 4 year. You dont accidentally get a 3 year.

Now seriously what?

If you apply for a 4 year then you'll get a 4 year. You dont accidentally get a 3 year.
Yeah but if you get on the alternate list I believe your application rolls into a 3 year one for next year (if you don't get selected off it for the 4 year of course, which I'm pretty sure is rare). That's what I was referring to

Now seriously what?

Well since we are being blunt I am sure you are correct. I was just being a little bitter nicer with my answer.

The ones getting off the alternate list, according to my recruiter, will get the full 4 years worth of of coverage but you don't get the money until September (which is when the new budget comes in).

The ones getting off the alternate list, according to my recruiter, will get the full 4 years worth of of coverage but you don't get the money until September (which is when the new budget comes in).
Ohhhhh ok then. I was under the impression that when they start to give out the 3 year ones in like October, they start by taking people off of the 4 year alternate list. I guess I was mistaken, thank you for clarifying

Just found out today that I was placed on the alternate list (boarded March 12) and it does work the way I originally thought. When the new fiscal year starts in October, they start by taking people off of the 4 year alternate list for the 3 year scholarship

Reactions: 1 users
Just found out today that I was placed on the alternate list (boarded March 12) and it does work the way I originally thought. When the new fiscal year starts in October, they start by taking people off of the 4 year alternate list for the 3 year scholarship
Thanks for clarifying this, good luck I hope you get a scholarship!

Good luck all!

Last edited:
Quick question for all you Navy HPSP applicants

Did any of you, by chance, happen to ask your recruiters about how many people applied and how many 4 year scholarships were granted?

I dont think military gives that kind of information out. Since budget change and schools cost differently.

But one of my classmates says AF gave out 17 this year...sounds a bit low to me.

I dont think military gives that kind of information out. Since budget change and schools cost differently.

But one of my classmates says AF gave out 17 this year...sounds a bit low to me.

17 AF? seems a little high. Any comment, @lanzo ?

I'm pretty sure if the AF tracks it, then the Navy must also track how many they give out...just curious to see how competitive it is here.

It was supposed to be 12 that the air force gave out this year. Someone else told me they heard 17 were actually awarded so I think it is possible. Supposedly 81 applied for the Air Force.

Does anyone know how much tax is taken out each month?

also an alternate. anyone got more information about being on the alternate? i dont know what to be expecting

Molar I'm fairly certain I've read that in in previous years, all alternated were eventually offered an HPSP. Good luck.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats and when did you submit your package?

Molar I'm fairly certain I've read that in in previous years, all alternated were eventually offered an HPSP. Good luck.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats and when did you submit your package?
I am aslo on the alternate list. It seems many people get on the alternate list, I wonder if anyone is actually declined for the scholarship? People only post acceptance or alternate, and all the alternates can't recieve a scholarship. I also read in previous posts that the alternates recieved a scholarship but it was only a few people.

Last edited:
My recruiter said that the people on the alternate list get re-ranked (don't know the criteria). Those in top 20 are in the running for scholarship in the new fiscal year (September or October). I found out today I was in top 10 but my recruiter said he will find out more details when he calls the program director tomorrow. Fingers crossed!