Navy 2019 4-Year HPSP Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those not only accepted to dental school but those who recieved the scholarship! I am reaching out in high hopes someone will extend a favor. I was recently accepted to dental school, otherwise I would have started this process earlier. Didn't want to jinx myself. I met with a recruiter who said we had ample time, however thanks to this thread I found out and told him the last board is in march. He then responded days later and said we don't have enough time and now won't respond to me. I believe I do have enough time... I have all my paperwork done (medical forms, application, statement), all LOR ready to go and people willing to interview me. I am reaching out hoping anyone would extend their recruiters name and contact info. Thank you to any kind person willing to extend a favor! I have put in a lot of time, just like all of you have, and hoping it wasn't for nothing
Just found out from my recruiter that there are no more scholarships and they won't be doing three years any more either.. board decisions just went out for February.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My recruiter just informed me that there are still 60 left.....

Just for out from my recruiter that there are no more scholarships and they won't be doing three years any more either board decisions just went out for February.
I am pretty sure that the 3 year scholarships are only for those who are in their first year of dental school already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious?? I thought they only started off with about 60 :nailbiting: I hope that is the case! Information has been very contradictory!

Hmmm so many different things being told. I am sure that if not all are given out, they are pretty close. But I still want to get my application in just in case and for alternative spots, there may be spots opening up. Anyone recommend a recruiter for me?!
Just found out from my recruiter that there are no more scholarships and they won't be doing three years any more either.. board decisions just went out for February.

Recruiters are based on where you live, so I'm afraid the one in your area is the one you are stuck with.

I was told by my recruiter that there are 62 total 4-year scholarships and there are about 20-25 left. Take that as you will. I'm going in for the last board and the deadline is March 6th (or so I've been told haha). So many contradicting facts here who knows what to believe

Maybe they read these forums and are laughing their butts off at how confused we are.

Reactions: 3 users
I was told by my recruiter that there are 62 total 4-year scholarships and there are about 20-25 left. Take that as you will. I'm going in for the last board and the deadline is March 6th (or so I've been told haha). So many contradicting facts here who knows what to believe
It seems like the only consistent thing is the deadline date haha. Either way, just patiently waiting for hopefully good news!

So... Is the consensus that the program is now closed and no more 4 years are being given? My recruiter had me go through meps today, then told me after that the program is probably closed for the year. Conflicting messages...

So... Is the consensus that the program is now closed and no more 4 years are being given? My recruiter had me go through meps today, then told me after that the program is probably closed for the year. Conflicting messages...
As far as I know, the final deadline was this past Friday (March 6). I'd be really pissed at my recruiter if I had to go through meps for nothing. But you could still apply for the 3 year probably

Anyone who didn't get Navy in time (if the final deadline really is March 6th) but is still looking for a way to pay for school without accumulating debt. I just received an email this morning with these two links. The National Health Service Coorps application just opened up today so it's not too late to start looking into that scholarship program! The last day to send in your application is May 7th, 2015

http://www.nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf
http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/index.html

I found out that I was waitlisted. Does anyone know how likely it is to obtain any kind of scholarship at this point? My recruiter said that there may be 3 year ones available. I was really looking forward to the opportunity, but looks like I'm going to have to go via the traditional route.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out that I was waitlisted. Does anyone know how likely it is to obtain any kind of scholarship at this point? My recruiter said that there may be 3 year ones available. I was really looking forward to the opportunity, but looks like I'm going to have to go via the traditional route.....
:( Sorry to hear that... When did you go to boards?

My application was submitted toward the end of January.

Oops, forgot to quote. Seems like mine got into February boards.
That sucks :(. And your recruiter told you there were 60 left at the time too! Hmmmmm... I guess there are always the 3 year ones for next year.. :/

That sucks :(. And your recruiter told you there were 60 left at the time too! Hmmmmm... I guess there are always the 3 year ones for next year.. :/
Seriously! I'm beginning to think all these recruiters don't REALLY know what they should. But regardless, still crossing fingers!

Reactions: 1 user
Any time you spend in residency just delays your payback time. So if you graduate school and then do a 2-year residency you will be technically in for 6 years, although 2 of those years are spent in your residency. It doesn't tack on time unless you count the time you are spending obtaining your specialty education.

I'm fairly certain that any time spent in a military residency does not count for years towards payback. In fact, for each year you spend in a military residency, you owe that time back as well. So for example, 4 years dental school and 2 years military residency = 6 years repayment (which you won't start repaying until after you're done with your military residency), so all together, you're 4 years + 2 years residency + 4 years active duty repayment = 10 years before you can move to wherever you want and "start your life" unless you plan to make a career out of the military.

Can anybody else confirm?

I'm fairly certain that any time spent in a military residency does not count for years towards payback. In fact, for each year you spend in a military residency, you owe that time back as well. So for example, 4 years dental school and 2 years military residency = 6 years repayment (which you won't start repaying until after you're done with your military residency), so all together, you're 4 years + 2 years residency + 4 years active duty repayment = 10 years before you can move to wherever you want and "start your life" unless you plan to make a career out of the military.

As far as I can tell, if you get approved for residency, any time you spend in the residency program will not count towards payback. But it does not count against you either, unless you made another deal with the military outside of the original contract.

As far as dental scholarships go, I know if you decide to do an AEGD for example, while it won't count towards your ACTIVE repayment, it will count towards your RESERVE repayment. This is what the Captain in the Navy told me during my interview.

As far as dental scholarships go, I know if you decide to do an AEGD for example, while it won't count towards your ACTIVE repayment, it will count towards your RESERVE repayment. This is what the Captain in the Navy told me during my interview.

Got it... yeah, I've dug deeper over the past couple days and what it looks to be is that those years are "neutral" and that you technically do have to pay them back, but you pay them back concurrently with your regular HPSP payback. So 4 years HPSP + "X" years residency = only 4 years active duty payback.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied and had my kit completed by late January. My recruiter says I was in the Feb board and have been pro-rec, but I havent heard anything concrete yet. Predent54, my best advice is to be patient, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information being given out by different recruiters, and you could be in for a long waiting period. Does anyone know if Feb board results have been posted and my recruiter is just out of the loop, or is Feb boards still being processed/ considered? Thanks all.

My boyfriend and I boarded in February. He was told that he received the HPSP and I was told that I received the HSCP. No written communication. Definitely conflicting because my recruiter said after Feb everything was closed off and no further boards would take place.

DentMePlease, when did your bf find out that he received the scholarship? My recruiter told me yesterday that the Feb board results haven't been released yet.

At the end of February... Maybe even the last day of the month.. It's so crazy how conflicting everything is!!

At the end of February... Maybe even the last day of the month.. It's so crazy how conflicting everything is!!
I boarded March 6th and was told by my recruiter this was the last time the board would meet. He stated results would be out in 4 to 6 weeks?.................Very confusing!

I boarded March 6th and was told by my recruiter this was the last time the board would meet. He stated results would be out in 4 to 6 weeks?.................Very confusing!
It is because my recruiter said there wouldn't be a March board. It's really insane.

Lol it's pretty crazy that there's so much conflicting information. I was told the results would be out 2 weeks after the last board (march 12), which would be today. So I'm hoping soon!

Where is the best place to find a good recruiter? I am applying for the 2020 4-year and want to make sure I have competent recruiters.

What should I talk about in my personal statement? I know that we should say reasons why one might serve, but what else should I highlight?

I just wanted to let y'all know that I boarded in February and my recruiter called me today to tell me I got final approval. There is still hope for everyone still waiting!!

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone fill me in on whether or not the Army will reimburse you for health insurance while you are in school? If so, how is this done? Thanks

Is there still a possibility of getting the scholarship for people that boarded in March? My recruiter said that basically march's board was to select alternates only since scholarships were gone by February. Any information greatly appreciated

Just got told my recruiter that Ive actually been accepted for a 3 and 4 yr Navy HPSP so I can go anywhere with them! Good luck on boards people!

Did you have to apply for both of them?

Is there still a possibility of getting the scholarship for people that boarded in March? My recruiter said that basically march's board was to select alternates only since scholarships were gone by February. Any information greatly appreciated
It's pretty much impossible to tell. My recruiter told me they had about 20 scholarships to give out for March and that they save the most for the last board because that's when they receive majority of the applications. However, judging by last years thread, I don't think anyone that boarded in March got it (on SDN anyway). So I'm not getting my hopes up, but keeping my fingers crossed haha. The wait is killing me

Reactions: 1 users
When is everyone commissioning?
Do we choose when we got to ODS or are we assigned?

I was told I could only commission after I receive my B.S. So I'm guessing sometime in May or June.

Everyone commissions in August. Your stipend and bonus will roll in come September. Hope that helps!

Your final select letter will have a date at which you will be eligible to commission. You can then schedule to commission on or after that date with your recruiter, but the exact date is up to you. I'm commissioning 1 June.

Everyone commissions in August. Your stipend and bonus will roll in come September. Hope that helps!
Will the first payment begin on September 1 and then again on the 15th? Not sure if HSCP and HPSP have the same payment schedule..

Will the first payment begin on September 1 and then again on the 15th? Not sure if HSCP and HPSP have the same payment schedule..

For my case, I'll be starting dental school in July and my letter states that I'll be commissioned in August. My recruiter has told me that my stipend and bonus will first come in during September, though I'm not sure when. The stipend will be backlogged from July and August so the amount will be much larger in September. Again, this is my case but it apparently it could be different.

For those that have been accepted to hpsp have you received your welcome aboard packet yet? I was told I should be receiving it soon

Does any one know what the minimum requirements are for your GPA and DAT to be elgible for the scholarship?

For those that have been accepted to hpsp have you received your welcome aboard packet yet? I was told I should be receiving it soon

My recruiter just emailed me a pdf of the HPSP student handbook. Are we supposed to get anything else?

I think it was 3.5 GPA and 18 DAT (oops, this is for the Army HPSP)
Is this for sure or would they make an exception if you have a higher DAT? So a 3.4 and 24 DAT couldn't get the scholarship, but they could get the 3 year after the first year of dental school? I was planning on doing a 1 year masters to get in an expensive private school, but no way I could attend unless I get this scholarship

Talk to your local recruiter, but if the army has a cut off at 3.5 then the Navy is probably the same or slightly higher.

For those who boarded March 6th, any status updates from your recruiters?