2019 DAT Breakdown 30TS/28AA/26PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rainbowsheep5

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scores:
PAT 26
QR 30
RC 24
Bio 28
GC 30
OC 30
TS 30
AA 28

Resources (comparisons and recommendations)

- I used Bootcamp, Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Orgoman Organic Odyssey, Dynamite Bio notes, and PAT Booster
- I went over the BC twice and the Destroyer twice -- I'm really not a genius. Just hardworking and willing to do fewer fun things for a couple of weeks in order to get into dental school...
- I did not use a schedule; I studied appox. 10 hr per day for 10 weeks (on some weekends, I worked on my application, but I did not take many off days)
- I made sure to study a little bit from each subject everyday, but in whichever order I liked (some days I might do one subject for a little longer than others, but overall, I made sure to distribute my time relatively evenly)
- Not having a schedule WORKED FOR ME because I enjoyed studying for these subjects (I never had issues motivating myself to study)... If this is not the case for you, I would use a schedule to keep you on track

Bootcamp (vs. Destroyer) (I liked both resources... I don't want to be caught in the crossfire between the two please...)
- Purchased the $900 subscription with the 5 extra booster packs for EVERY subject and 120 access
- BC is the way to go if:
- need a systematic review (may not have the strongest foundation)
- you like videos
- struggle with time
- want to do tests to gauge how you will do on the real thing (I personally never really cared about that)
- might not have a lot of time left to study

- PAT: very good practice and similar to the real test; some questions are even better drawn/made compared to the real test (which is a little funny) (detailed comparison with PAT Booster see below)
- QR: harder than the real test; but good practice and have very similar types of questions (I don't think significantly differ from the Math Destroyer in terms of getting you ready for the DAT)
- RC: I only did the first 6 tests; harder than the real thing, but I recommend doing a couple of tests to make sure you know the types of question you would get (personally recommend -- I think daily reading is good, but will not suffice since you still wouldn't get to practice the techniques/strategies)
- Bio: the BC notes are the best place to start -- but I would not stop there; I used the BC academy (long version) -- and learned every detail/concept in there; I think BC does a better job with the notes than the questions since most of the questions are repetitive to the concepts they already introduced to you in the notes... (Destroyer Bio questions > BC); the Dynamite notes are shorter, but will not suffice unless you also do the BC notes or have a strong foundation; I think the Dynamite notes are great if you are short on time or only need a review on the essentials (for example, I never took immunology in college, so I loved how BC had a very detailed chapter on that and helped me understand some of the most basic concepts); Again, the Destroyer has better Bio questions (I saw one on the test straight from the destroyer); I make sure to learn the concepts behidn all of the ~800 questions; I would do these after you learn the concepts either through notes (BC notes for example) and/or through college classes
- GC: BC has all the concepts you will need; learn every detail; I printed out the lesson plans and took notes on there (Dr. Mike's videos are the best); I also liked the Destroyer GC and found it to be a great challenge, and made the test feel like a breeze; most importantly, I saw a question on the test straight from the destroyer; Destroyer also has the best acid/base/equilibrium practice problems; I also like how the Destroyer just have MORE problems overall (430 for GC)
- OC: see GC section; the Destroyer OC is very challenging, but will make the test feel like a breeze

Destroyer/FB Group
- I personally love Dr. Romano (if you're reading this, Dr. Romano, thank you for everything you have done for us! I couldn't have done this without you -- THANK YOU THANK YOU!)
- The Destroyer is, like BC, significantly harder than the test
- The Destroyer is cheaper...
- In addition to the GC question, there was also Bio question straight from the Destroyer
- Have more practice problems than BC
- The book is written for someone who either has a strong foundation, or is also using some other resources such as a textbook (Dr. Romano has many great recommendations); or BC (like I did)
- Dr. Romano has great videos online, but they are problem-based, and they not as systematic as BC's videos
- In other words, Destroyer assumes that you know your stuff already, and just need some practice problems and review
- If you decide to go this route, I wouldn't write in the books so that you can go over them the second time; it was not until I did the problems the second time when I finally started to understand many of the concepts

The Organic Odyssey
- This is the only resource that I only went through once
- It is great for you if you need more problems for the OC section
- Overall, the problems in here are slightly easier than what's in the Destroyer
- The notes are hand-written and in detail (more so than the Destroyer)
- In other words, this book assumes that you need a little more help, and might have forgotten some of the Organic concepts

- Destroyer series is the way to go if:
- You don't mind Dr. Romano's no BS style (a personal favorite, but I can see how it's not for everyone)
- Have a strong foundation
- Want to truly learn the science
- Want more practice problems
- Want more difficult problems that will make your test feel like a breeze
- Note: I would not use these problems to gauge your performance on the real test... (you might be discouraged -- like Dr. Romano says, just learn the concepts!)
- Want 30's: I am not saying that you can't get 30's by just using BC, but his problems are "overkill" for a reason -- they get you 30's

PAT booster (vs BC PAT section)
- PAT booster is absolutely essential if you're going with the Destroyer route!
- Keyhole: PAT booster's keyhole problems are harder (some of them I found a little impossible); Keyhole is my weakest, so I don't know if you should trust my opinion
- TFE: Both great -- but PAT Booster has a some problems that are to scale; I didn't have any TFE on my test that was to scale, but it doesn't mean they don't exist... Again, I'd say PAT Booster is harder
- Hole-punching: similar in difficulty and both will get you ready for the test!
- Cube counting: similar in difficulty and both will get you ready for the test!
- Angle-ranking: PAT Booster is easier here (the angles are larger and with skinnier lines, thus easier to distinguish), but I think either will get you ready; personally, I don't think you can improve much in this section -- if you can't tell, you can't tell; at least for me, I sucked at it at first and continued to suck at it no matter how much I practice
- Pattern folding: PAT Booster is a little easier again (but I think both are great); personally, this section came naturally to me, so I don't know how much my advice would help you
- BC has more problems (with the booster pack, I had 15 practice tests plus the extra keyholes)
- Both have generators (personally did not use them as much)

Bottom line/lifestyle tips:

- BC will get you good scores, fast, and get you into a dental school (like Taco Bell)
- Dr. Romano will make you the best scientist you could possibly be and help you pursue excellence (like a authentic Mexican restaurant)
- You take your pick -- I really think it's a personal decision; and I can't tell you which one is better for you

- Believe in yourself (I can't stress this one enough)
- Sleep enough, eat enough (don't go on a diet; especially don't do low carbs -- I don't care how keto helped your aunt lose 40 lbs -- now is not the time), exercise (you can do too much exercise, but this largely depends on the person; I'd go to the gym 4~5 times a week plus some light walks and yoga)
- Please don't hesitate to ask any questions (DM me!) -- I want to help you as much as I can (you won't annoy me)
- I am so sorry that my post is not very organized -- just ask me questions if you can't find the answer![/B][/B]

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Scores.pdf
    667.5 KB · Views: 306
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My scores:
PAT 26
QR 30
RC 24
Bio 28
GC 30
OC 30
TS 30
AA 28

Resources (comparisons and recommendations)

- I used Bootcamp, Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Orgoman Organic Odyssey, Dynamite Bio notes, and PAT Booster
- I went over the BC twice and the Destroyer twice -- I'm really not a genius. Just hardworking and willing to do fewer fun things for a couple of weeks in order to get into dental school...
- I did not use a schedule; I studied appox. 10 hr per day for 10 weeks (on some weekends, I worked on my application, but I did not take many off days)
- I made sure to study a little bit from each subject everyday, but in whichever order I liked (some days I might do one subject for a little longer than others, but overall, I made sure to distribute my time relatively evenly)
- Not having a schedule WORKED FOR ME because I enjoyed studying for these subjects (I never had issues motivating myself to study)... If this is not the case for you, I would use a schedule to keep you on track

Bootcamp (vs. Destroyer) (I liked both resources... I don't want to be caught in the crossfire between the two please...)
- Purchased the $900 subscription with the 5 extra booster packs for EVERY subject and 120 access
- BC is the way to go if:
- need a systematic review (may not have the strongest foundation)
- you like videos
- struggle with time
- want to do tests to gauge how you will do on the real thing (I personally never really cared about that)
- might not have a lot of time left to study

- PAT: very good practice and similar to the real test; some questions are even better drawn/made compared to the real test (which is a little funny) (detailed comparison with PAT Booster see below)
- QR: harder than the real test; but good practice and have very similar types of questions (I don't think significantly differ from the Math Destroyer in terms of getting you ready for the DAT)
- RC: I only did the first 6 tests; harder than the real thing, but I recommend doing a couple of tests to make sure you know the types of question you would get (personally recommend -- I think daily reading is good, but will not suffice since you still wouldn't get to practice the techniques/strategies)
- Bio: the BC notes are the best place to start -- but I would not stop there; I used the BC academy (long version) -- and learned every detail/concept in there; I think BC does a better job with the notes than the questions since most of the questions are repetitive to the concepts they already introduced to you in the notes... (Destroyer Bio questions > BC); the Dynamite notes are shorter, but will not suffice unless you also do the BC notes or have a strong foundation; I think the Dynamite notes are great if you are short on time or only need a review on the essentials (for example, I never took immunology in college, so I loved how BC had a very detailed chapter on that and helped me understand some of the most basic concepts); Again, the Destroyer has better Bio questions (I saw one on the test straight from the destroyer); I make sure to learn the concepts behidn all of the ~800 questions; I would do these after you learn the concepts either through notes (BC notes for example) and/or through college classes
- GC: BC has all the concepts you will need; learn every detail; I printed out the lesson plans and took notes on there (Dr. Mike's videos are the best); I also liked the Destroyer GC and found it to be a great challenge, and made the test feel like a breeze; most importantly, I saw a question on the test straight from the destroyer; Destroyer also has the best acid/base/equilibrium practice problems; I also like how the Destroyer just have MORE problems overall (430 for GC)
- OC: see GC section; the Destroyer OC is very challenging, but will make the test feel like a breeze

Destroyer/FB Group
- I personally love Dr. Romano (if you're reading this, Dr. Romano, thank you for everything you have done for us! I couldn't have done this without you -- THANK YOU THANK YOU!)
- The Destroyer is, like BC, significantly harder than the test
- The Destroyer is cheaper...
- In addition to the GC question, there was also Bio question straight from the Destroyer
- Have more practice problems than BC
- The book is written for someone who either has a strong foundation, or is also using some other resources such as a textbook (Dr. Romano has many great recommendations); or BC (like I did)
- Dr. Romano has great videos online, but they are problem-based, and they not as systematic as BC's videos
- In other words, Destroyer assumes that you know your stuff already, and just need some practice problems and review
- If you decide to go this route, I wouldn't write in the books so that you can go over them the second time; it was not until I did the problems the second time when I finally started to understand many of the concepts

The Organic Odyssey
- This is the only resource that I only went through once
- It is great for you if you need more problems for the OC section
- Overall, the problems in here are slightly easier than what's in the Destroyer
- The notes are hand-written and in detail (more so than the Destroyer)
- In other words, this book assumes that you need a little more help, and might have forgotten some of the Organic concepts

- Destroyer series is the way to go if:
- You don't mind Dr. Romano's no BS style (a personal favorite, but I can see how it's not for everyone)
- Have a strong foundation
- Want to truly learn the science
- Want more practice problems
- Want more difficult problems that will make your test feel like a breeze
- Note: I would not use these problems to gauge your performance on the real test... (you might be discouraged -- like Dr. Romano says, just learn the concepts!)
- Want 30's: I am not saying that you can't get 30's by just using BC, but his problems are "overkill" for a reason -- they get you 30's

PAT booster (vs BC PAT section)
- PAT booster is absolutely essential if you're going with the Destroyer route!
- Keyhole: PAT booster's keyhole problems are harder (some of them I found a little impossible); Keyhole is my weakest, so I don't know if you should trust my opinion
- TFE: Both great -- but PAT Booster has a some problems that are to scale; I didn't have any TFE on my test that was to scale, but it doesn't mean they don't exist... Again, I'd say PAT Booster is harder
- Hole-punching: similar in difficulty and both will get you ready for the test!
- Cube counting: similar in difficulty and both will get you ready for the test!
- Angle-ranking: PAT Booster is easier here (the angles are larger and with skinnier lines, thus easier to distinguish), but I think either will get you ready; personally, I don't think you can improve much in this section -- if you can't tell, you can't tell; at least for me, I sucked at it at first and continued to suck at it no matter how much I practice
- Pattern folding: PAT Booster is a little easier again (but I think both are great); personally, this section came naturally to me, so I don't know how much my advice would help you
- BC has more problems (with the booster pack, I had 15 practice tests plus the extra keyholes)
- Both have generators (personally did not use them as much)

Bottom line/lifestyle tips:

- BC will get you good scores, fast, and get you into a dental school (like Taco Bell)
- Dr. Romano will make you the best scientist you could possibly be and help you pursue excellence (like a authentic Mexican restaurant)
- You take your pick -- I really think it's a personal decision; and I can't tell you which one is better for you

- Believe in yourself (I can't stress this one enough)
- Sleep enough, eat enough (don't go on a diet; especially don't do low carbs -- I don't care how keto helped your aunt lose 40 lbs -- now is not the time), exercise (you can do too much exercise, but this largely depends on the person; I'd go to the gym 4~5 times a week plus some light walks and yoga)
- Please don't hesitate to ask any questions (DM me!) -- I want to help you as much as I can (you won't annoy me)
- I am so sorry that my post is not very organized -- just ask me questions if you can't find the answer![/B][/B]

congrats on the score! what do you mean by " i went through BC twice". do you mean the whole schedule or just the full length tests?

Reactions: 1 user
congrats on the score! what do you mean by " i went through BC twice". do you mean the whole schedule or just the full length tests?
Just the tests! I rewatched maybe 10% of the videos when I didn't understand/remember a concept. But mainly the tests, booster packs, and question banks! Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will I be able to do this if I study from May-July and take the DAT the first week of August?
Also while taking a summer course?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Will I be able to do this if I study from May-July and take the DAT the first week of August?
Also while taking a summer course?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I personally didn't take any summer courses. It also depends on your background and how hard is the course you'll be taking. Please PM me if you have more questions!

wow your scores are insane. Did you have a strong science background, what is ur gpa if u don't mind me asking. Thanks!

wow your scores are insane. Did you have a strong science background, what is ur gpa if u don't mind me asking. Thanks!
I'm a double major in Chemistry and Exercise Science, with a minor in Biology. So I'd say yes. Although for the bio section, I think it would really help if you were a biology major. I had to learn most of microbiology, some cell bio, immunology, and things like that using the notes. It was doable though. :) Let me know if you have more questions. Also feel free to PM me if you need.

I'm a double major in Chemistry and Exercise Science, with a minor in Biology. So I'd say yes. Although for the bio section, I think it would really help if you were a biology major. I had to learn most of microbiology, some cell bio, immunology, and things like that using the notes. It was doable though. :) Let me know if you have more questions. Also feel free to PM me if you need.
I see, well you are very deserving of those scores I hope many acceptances will come your way! I will definitely message you if I have any other questions thanks!!