2019 Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADD!!!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post match results here! Also let’s try to keep this thread as dedicated to just actual matches and not discussing them, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No list yet, and have only heard of a handful, but OSU-COM is looking to have a good year.

3 DO ortho
1 DO ENT
Interventional Radiology - Baylor Houston
Diagnostic Radiology - Vanderbilt
Integrated Plastics - Indiana

Will post the official match list as it arrives.

Reactions: 8 users
KCU (according to Facebook page so far):
8 ortho (1 MD at UConn, 1 military, 6 AOA)
2 derm
2 Uro
1 Ophtho (at Brown)
IM at WashU
Plastics Cleveland Clinic
A ton of EM, Gas, psych, IM.

Bonus fact: One of our former KCU professors (a DO) who quit residency from waaay back matched pathology today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor neurosurg match from Campbell.

Reactions: 17 users
I watched the WESTERNCOMP Match live and I saw one student match to Dermatology in OHIO

Reactions: 2 users
Darn. And I really thought this was the year that we were going to match IM and FM only...

Reactions: 18 users
Darn. And I really thought this was the year that we were going to match IM and FM only...

Nah don't get ahead of yourself, that's next year. ;)

RIP AOA Match

Reactions: 1 users
  • The number of U.S. osteopathic medical school students and graduates who submitted program choices also was a record high at 6,001, an increase of 1,384 over 2018. Of those 6,001, 5,076 (84.6%) matched to PGY-1 positions, also an all-time high. Since 2015, the number of U.S. osteopathic medical school students and graduates seeking positions has risen by 3,052, a 103 percent increase. That growth has been driven in part by the transition to a single accreditation system. As part of that transition, the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Match has ended.

Reactions: 11 users
Per Touro Nevada’s Instagram they have at least 2 ortho matches today.

• The number of U.S. osteopathic medical school students and graduates who submitted program choices also was a record high at 6,001, an increase of 1,384 over 2018. Of those 6,001, 5,076 (84.6%) matched to PGY-1 positions, also an all-time high. Since 2015, the number of U.S. osteopathic medical school students and graduates seeking positions has risen by 3,052, a 103 percent increase. That growth has been driven in part by the transition to a single accreditation system. As part of that transition, the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Match has ended.

So despite more students seeking to match, the % of DOs matching ACGME programs has significantly increased to 84% from last year’s 80 and change?

Sounds like good news for DOs to me.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM 2019

Gen Surg

Sunrise Health
UI Mt Sinai Chicago
OK State

Ortho

Mayo - AZ

FM

HonorHealth
Brown
UF
UCSF - Fresno
Utah
Kaiser - Woodland Hills

IM

HonorHealth
UA - Tucson
Scripps
Virginia Mason
UNM
UTSA
UC Riverside
Abrazo

Gas

Virginia Mason
Cook county
UA - Tucson
OU
SUNY downstate
USC
UF

EM

Loyola
Rochester
Henry Ford
Maricopa
UNLV
LSU - New Orleans

Peds

Phoenix Children's
Emory

PM&R

Northwestern

DR

Baylor Scott & White

Neuro

Indiana
Baylor
Barrow

Derm

KCU

Path

Emory

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I’m calling it right now - next year’s osteopathic match will look something like this:

ACGME match rate: 88-91%
Placement Rate: 97-98%

With steady improvement of both numbers in subsequent years.

If I’ve understood the SDN TOS correctly, if I’m right I get moderator status.

I’m calling it right now - next year’s osteopathic match will look something like this:

Nah, that's reporting enough posts to regularly incite the banhammer into action. If you're right here you get the "Rocket Scientist" label.

Reactions: 6 users
Nah, that's reporting enough posts to regularly incite the banhammer into action. If you're right here you get the "Rocket Scientist" label.

Normally they’d give me the “Brain surgeon” label, but they know I’m a DO

Damn! I haven't heard any news yet, other than something along the lines of "Best match in our history".

I expect that this will be a banner year for DO grads, and good luck to all of you out there!

Reactions: 14 users
Damn! I haven't heard any news yet, other than something along the lines of "Best match in our history".

I expect that this will be a banner year for DO grads, and good luck to all of you out there!
Incredible! Looking good for DOs!

Reactions: 1 user
My apologies...

KCU Cleveland Clinic GENERAL SURGERY match was not main campus....

Akron, OH
The sky is falling!!! Should I drop out of my DO school and reapply Caribbean??

The sky is falling!!! Should I drop out of my DO school and reapply Caribbean??

so like maybe dumb question of the year but how much is where you match depend on what school you went to? Like how much is KCU prestige and reputation matter when applying for residency

so like maybe dumb question of the year but how much is where you match depend on what school you went to? Like how much is KCU prestige and reputation matter when applying for residency
Not sure. In the DO world geography matters a lot more than what DO school you go to typically. For instance KCU matched 5 people in KUs EM program and at least another 3 in UMKCs this year. Midwest programs are full of KCU, ATSU, DMU, CCOM grads bc those schools are 100+ years old producing docs in the Midwest. You don’t typically see Touro, Rowan, NSU grads in the Midwest likely bc of geography.

I'd love to see the match results of the first class schools. Are those going to be all FM/IM?

upload_2019-3-15_17-25-17.png

5076+920 withdrew (I am assuming those where AOA match) = 84.5% overall match. Well done 2019, that's the kind of surprise I like.

I still expect placement to drop to 97% tho.

Reactions: 8 users
So despite more students seeking to match, the % of DOs matching ACGME programs has significantly increased to 84% from last year’s 80 and change?

Sounds like good news for DOs to me.

It was 81.7% last year, but yes, this is actually one of the biggest single year increases (2.9%) in DO NRMP match rates (it increased by 3% from 2011-2012 and 2.9% from 2013-2014). To be fair it stayed stable from 2017-2018. Most years its actually less of increase, but it has been on a steady increase since 2009.

Lets not overdo it, my guess is 85%-88% (i.e. where the DO match rate has been for years). Placement rate is probably close to accurate, but I could see it being as low as 95-96%.

Hearing the same.

View attachment 254031
5076+920 withdrew (I am assuming those where AOA match) = 84.5% overall match. Well done 2019, that's the kind of surprise I like.

I still expect placement to drop to 97% tho.

97% would mean a 1.5% decrease from last year (double the change from the year before). I suspect not, but I could see next year's being there.

It was 81.7% last year, but yes, this is actually one of the biggest single year increases (2.9%) in DO NRMP match rates ever (increased by 3% from 2011-2012 and 2.9% from 2013-2014). Most years its actually less of increase, but it has been on a steady increase since 2009.

Lets not overdo it, my guess is 85%-88% (i.e. where the DO match rate has been for years). Placement rate is probably close to accurate, but I could see it being as low as 95-96%.

Hearing the same.

97% would mean a 1.5% decrease from last year (double the change from the year before). I suspect not, but I could see next year's being there.
I agree with your points, when I am saying 97% I am doing it inclusive (i.e. upto 97.99% etc.) Next year I do expect it to drop below 97% as well. Sometime ago I actually predicted the drop for real, I will have to dig up that post.

Also I completely agree on the match rate likely not improving next year, but I didn't want to be a debbie downer again, so I didn't comment.

We at KCOM are killing it with plenty of matches in ortho, derm, ent, gen surg, pm&r, emergency. And psych :p

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with your points, when I am saying 97% I am doing it inclusive (i.e. upto 97.99% etc.) Next year I do expect it to drop below 97% as well. Sometime ago I actually predicted the drop for real, I will have to dig up that post.

Also I completely agree on the match rate likely not improving next year, but I didn't want to be a debbie downer again, so I didn't comment.

Haha, fair enough. I'm fine being a debbie downer, staying the same is a win in my book honestly, given all the doom and gloom talked about with the merger and DO expansion.

Not sure. In the DO world geography matters a lot more than what DO school you go to typically. For instance KCU matched 5 people in KUs EM program and at least another 3 in UMKCs this year. Midwest programs are full of KCU, ATSU, DMU, CCOM grads bc those schools are 100+ years old producing docs in the Midwest. You don’t typically see Touro, Rowan, NSU grads in the Midwest likely bc of geography.
This tends to true for many MD programs as well. In general, people like staying close to home.

KCU (according to Facebook page so far):
8 ortho (1 MD at UConn, 1 military, 6 AOA)
2 derm Orlando/ohio
2 Uro
1 Ophtho (at Brown)
IM at WashU
A ton of EM, Gas, psych, IM.

Bonus fact: One of our former KCU professors (a DO) who quit residency from waaay back matched pathology today.KCU

JUST IN:

Anesthesia- Johns Hopkins.

As a first year at KCU this is encouraging. Being a first year, how good are these matches? Comparable to MD schools? I mean in terms of the number of matches into these specialities, the not the specific programs.

As a first year at KCU this is encouraging. Being a first year, how good are these matches? Comparable to MD schools? I mean in terms of the number of matches into these specialities, the not the specific programs.

Lower for sure, especially considering KCU has 200+ students at their school. However, still very impressive

Reactions: 5 users

Generally lower, but will vary a lot depending on the school. One year (I believe 4 years ago) KCU matched 29 people into gen surg and over half of those were ACGME. The following year 6 people matched gen surg. Was there that much of a quality difference in classes? No, but there was a massive difference in interest. KCU has had powerhouse matches in the past (multiple matches to Mayo including derm, a lot of Cleveland clinic matches, anesthesia at Penn, IR at Ohio State, gen surg at U Wash, etc), but regardless matching into the highly competitive fields will continue to be more difficult than for USMDs.

My point is not to read into match lists too much. There are some things which can be useful, but overall it's on the individual more than anything else.

Reactions: 4 users
In on page 1. Looking forward to the petty debates, people saying "DOz breakingg gLASS CEILING!>!!" Other people saying "MDz wouldnt go therrr if it wuz the last program on erth"One of my annual favorite threads.

Can't forget one more "BEST MSATCH LIST OUR SCHOOL EVER SEENNN@@@1!!1

Reactions: 11 users
I haven’t heard anything from any of the fourth years at my program. Literally not one of them has posted on social media. Very very strange.

"Good" has several definitions.

[Former] AOA vs ACGME?
community hospital or university?
Primary Care vs specialty
Specialty vs uber-specialty????
Good program or not? Only our wise residents or attendings in the specific fields can answer this.

And of course, if one got thier #1 choice, then it was a good match, even if it was at Joe's Clam Shack and Hospital (or Joe's BBQ and Hospital for KCU grads).

By the a number of the above criteria, it's turning out to be one of our best matches ever, and I thought our '18s matched well!

Congrats to all of you out there, and for those of you still scrambling, I hope that you can land on your feet soon!

Reactions: 13 users
"Good" has several definitions.

[Former] AOA vs ACGME?
community hospital or university?
Primary Care vs specialty
Specialty vs uber-specialty????
Good program or not? Only our wise residents or attendings in the specific fields can answer this.

And of course, if one got thier #1 choice, then it was a good match, even if it was at Joe's Clam Shack and Hospital (or Joe's BBQ and Hospital for KCU grads).

By the a number of the above criteria, it's turning out to be one of our best matches ever, and I thought our '18s matched well!

Congrats to all of you out there, and for those of you still scrambling, I hope that you can land on your feet soon!
KC joes represent. Best BBQ in the worldddd

Reactions: 5 users

It depends on a couple of things. e.g. optho match at Brown... That is top notch. Obviously this person was an excellent applicant, but did they also have a connection that allowed them to apply there.

Another thing is there's probably 20-30 different matches across different specialties that one can consider solid (not necessarily always top tier but definitely good programs that will get you where you wanna go). If KCU's class size was somewhere closer to 100 I could see an argument that its match list is equally impressive to some MD schools (with the exception there would be some under representation in ACGME matches to certain specialties). That is not even mentioning the other benefits that students at DO schools would have if class sizes were just smaller. Disregarding the fact that most DO programs don't have their own hospital the quality of rotations could go up dramatically because they would not require as many sites/spots which could potentially mean many things such as being able to acquire stronger letters. Admittedly this still doesn't fix the limited access to research.

In on page 1. Looking forward to the petty debates, people saying "DOz breakingg gLASS CEILING!>!!" Other people saying "MDz wouldnt go therrr if it wuz the last program on erth"One of my annual favorite threads.

Can't forget one more "BEST MSATCH LIST OUR SCHOOL EVER SEENNN@@@1!!1

Honestly I wish this was a self-fulfilling prophecy but I've been lurking long enough to know its inevitable even in MT's absence

Reactions: 1 user