2019 Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup. Pro tips to all the MS III and lower kids out there especially if you're looking for no placement rate:

Look at the number of spots for 1-year prelim/TRI. That's the real no placement rate right there bc I guarantee you that if some of those kids are legit matches for Opthal or Derm, they would be listed in the Derm or Opthal section instead.
This comment is great advice for people looking at match lists. I think it's important to clarify though that some (maybe many?) DO programs don't list who has additional/categorical matches, so the 1-year prelim/TRI list is some unknown % mix of people who matched just fine and those who need to figure out additional GME. I just don't want people to think these lists are pure 1-year matches/scrambles, though it may be a majority.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn’t matter at all who the PDs are. 10 years ago it was about a 1.3 applicant to spot ratio, now it’s roughly 2.3 to a spot. The DO ortho match is a bloodbath now.
We had a meeting with our advisors recently and we were informed that the majority of our students that went unmatched last year were 600+ comlex going for competitive specialties. Yet I know of people with multiple board failures matching their #1 ranked FM spot.

As Big Daddy Kane once said "Pimpin aint easy"

Also the merger isnt what's screwing us the most (pretty stoked about the # of programs making it through tbh), it's this insane massive proliferation of US medical schools

Reactions: 8 users
We had a meeting with our advisors recently and we were informed that the majority of our students that went unmatched last year were 600+ comlex going for competitive specialties. Yet I know of people with multiple board failures matching their #1 ranked FM spot.

As Big Daddy Kane once said "Pimpin aint easy"

Also the merger isnt what's screwing us the most (pretty stoked about the # of programs making it through tbh), it's this insane massive proliferation of US medical schools

Got to play that music in the background in the OR when you're the big boss ortho doc. Then, you go and tell your story to the nurse, medical student, and PA:

"Now, back in my days..."

LOL I can see it already.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You’d be suprised actually. KCU had a acgme Derm a few years back that your never know about based on their match list bc it was just listed as a prelim. There’s even an Ophtho match this year that isn’t our the current match list.

KCU has had at least 2 or 3 ACGME derm matches in the past 6 years. They also had an ACGME plastics match several years ago. LECOM has had some pretty good matches too that aren't always explicitly stated.