2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So , do I remember correctly that April 1st is 3 schools deadline and 30th - 1 school ?
Yep. I think that will make 30 April a huge, huge day for folks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So , do I remember correctly that April 1st is 3 schools deadline and 30th - 1 school ?
I thought it was April 15th for three, April 30th for 1. That's what's on my acceptance contract.

April 30th/May 1st = tidal wave!

I thought it was April 15th for three, April 30th for 1. That's what's on my acceptance contract.

April 30th/May 1st = tidal wave!
That sounds correct. Sorry for the mistake. I'm trying to make my decision by April 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, can someone link to a source or explain the rules for acceptances? I only have 1 anyway, but I am curious to hear what the rules are now!

finally done with my cycle ... as re-inventor and a re-applicant from last year never thought i would have this much success. 8 II attended 6, that led to 4 A and a high priority WL from USUHS ... time for some tough decisions now

Reactions: 8 users
finally done with my cycle ... as re-inventor and a re-applicant from last year never thought i would have this much success. 8 II attended 6, that led to 4 A and a high priority WL from USUHS ... time for some tough decisions now
Nice. What schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is so impressive !!!! Good job !!! So where do you want to go ?

So happy that so many of us have had success this cycle! Congrats all you non-trads. And for those still waiting, keep hanging on! And we’ll keep supporting you!
Yep ... still waiting . Now I am on two WL- WVU and EVMS, waiting on Drexel , and hold in ETSU . Next week - Vermont interview

Hello everyone

Non-trad here, older, married, kids, many years working in surgery as an OR Tech, and am applying to medical school this summer (both MD and DO schools).

I'm taking the MCAT (first time) this May, just got approved for Fee Assistance Program, am using only the AAMC materials (earned my BS Degree eons ago), and am taking 2 upper division science courses at my state university to show recent course work for the medical schools. I'm following the direction of the university pre-professional health advisor who deals with old timers like me.

That's my short bio. It's scary but if I've gotten married, had kids, raised them, and worked with surgeons many years, I figure, why hold back.

Thanks

Yay another OR tech! Welcome to the forums.

Reactions: 1 users
Just found this thread and loved reading through it! So impressed by you all. Congratulations to everyone for getting to this point.

I'll be 29 at matriculation. Married & happily expecting a baby soon (didn't plan it like that, but the universe moves in mysterious ways :laugh: YOLO I guess :rofl:). Gonna be insane but lucky to have a supportive partner.

LM 67. Applied to 20+ (all MD). 4 IIs--1 A (woooo!), 1 WL, 2 decisions pending. And loads of Rs and silence.

Reactions: 6 users
:highfive:

A friend at church told me today that her “plans” never materialized as she had planned for her life, though today she is in her 70s, wealthy, happily married 40+ years to a delightful loving man, loving kids and grandkids, and she reminded me of an oldie but goodie: “when we make plans, God laughs” Although it may not be theologically correct it certainly applies. How can I argue with a wonderful story like hers?

Therefore, do not throw away your confidence;
it will have great recompense.
You need endurance to do the will of God and receive what he has promised.

For, after just a brief moment,
he who is to come shall come;
he shall not delay.
But my just one shall live by faith,
and if he draws back I take no pleasure in him.

We are not among those who draw back and perish,
but among those who have faith and will possess life.”
Hebrews 10:39

Congrats on the pregnancy. Very exciting time for you and your hubby

Thank you!!! :)

Got selected for the HPSP scholarship today! Huge, huge, huge relief for me and my family. Thank you Army, for continuing to pay for my schooling!

Reactions: 7 users
Got selected for the HPSP scholarship today! Huge, huge, huge relief for me and my family. Thank you Army, for continuing to pay for my schooling!
Wow! Congratulations!

Accepted to my first choice school yesterday. 39 yo @ matriculation, 5 kids, previous stay-at-home-mom, married 20+ years. :soexcited:

Reactions: 14 users

Congrats! I find out on March 15 if the Navy will continue to pay for my education lol. I got cleared for the medical portion though, so I should be good to go. Just gotta keep praying.

Accepted to my first choice school yesterday. 39 yo @ matriculation, 5 kids, previous stay-at-home-mom, married 20+ years.

Congratulations!!!

It may officially be the year of the pig...but I think it's also the year of the late-arrival mothers-in-medicine ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted to my first choice school yesterday. 39 yo @ matriculation, 5 kids, previous stay-at-home-mom, married 20+ years. :soexcited:
Big, BIG congrats! You are amazing!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! I find out on March 15 if the Navy will continue to pay for my education lol. I got cleared for the medical portion though, so I should be good to go. Just gotta keep praying.

nice unfortunately the Air Force is a bit slower. April 15th

anybody else having a hard time deciding what school to choose? i know i am lucky to have multiple acceptances, but it seems like everyday i change my mind ...

anybody else having a hard time deciding what school to choose? i know i am lucky to have multiple acceptances, but it seems like everyday i change my mind ...

Nope. I knew as soon as I interviewed at mine that I would go there if I got in.

I knew exactly where I wanted to go but having a family and owning a home narrowed my prospects from the beginning.

At the end of the day, you likely have a gut instinct and it's usually not wrong. Either way you're going to be a physician. Life is short. Pick the place where you'll have the less "what if" lingering. Trust your instincts.

Also, if you happened to break up with your gf, would you regret choosing the school closest to her? This is a question not intended for you to reply to on here but something to consider.

Last edited:
Accepted last Friday!! Ironically as I landed for a weekend in my favourite place on the planet :)

3.0X ugpa, 516 mcat, 3.5X smp gpa. Applied 4x post-SMP before I finally got in. Since it took so long, ended up becoming a real non-trad and working in a non-medical field-- wouldn't change it for the world.

Anyone who thinks getting into med school is "like a marathon" is so wrong-- did an ironman and that was at least 9000x less painful.

Accepted last Friday!! Ironically as I landed for a weekend in my favourite place on the planet :)

3.0X ugpa, 516 mcat, 3.5X smp gpa. Applied 4x post-SMP before I finally got in. Since it took so long, ended up becoming a real non-trad and working in a non-medical field-- wouldn't change it for the world.

Anyone who thinks getting into med school is "like a marathon" is so wrong-- did an ironman and that was at least 9000x less painful.
Congrats!!

Haha. Yeah, I did a Ragnar. That was painful, but it was only 30 hours long. Congrats on your acceptance!

Awesome job my friend!

Withdrew from one WL and all remaining schools I hadn't yet heard from...officially ending my season! Whew. Feels good.

Now holding two A's and one WL. I'll probably let go of one A very soon, but I don't have the guts to remove myself from the WL at my state school yet. So still living (voluntarily) with some uncertainty for a while. But what an incredible problem to have!!

finally made my decision. Tulane unless i get off USUHS WL. hard to let go of some great med schools but i think i already knew i would take this route months ago

finally made my decision. Tulane unless i get off USUHS WL. hard to let go of some great med schools but i think i already knew i would take this route months ago
Congrats! I think I figured out my plan too, it feels a lot better than the "what do I do" flux.

Guys! I just got my first acceptance!!! thank you to everyone who supported me! this is my 3rd year applying (but, honestly, the first year when i really invested everything into the process). I havent cried yet :) I am sure i will later... And honestly i havent realized yet what this means yet. But i cannot stop smiling

Reactions: 15 users
Guys! I just got my first acceptance!!! thank you to everyone who supported me! this is my 3rd year applying (but, honestly, the first year when i really invested everything into the process). I havent cried yet :) I am sure i will later... And honestly i havent realized yet what this means yet. But i cannot stop smiling

Congrats! What school?

Amazing!! Congratulations!!!